The Royal Family #37

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I hate the gold on Meghan’s engagement ring, it clashes with the diamonds to me, but then I think a silver band would have made it look really basic. I feel sorry for men because even the past two pages of this thread are such a clashing of opinions for rings, must be a minefield for them.
I think the best bet would be for the couple to pick out the ring together. Or at least have the conversation beforehand of what she likes.
---
I hate the gold on Meghan’s engagement ring, it clashes with the diamonds to me, but then I think a silver band would have made it look really basic. I feel sorry for men because even the past two pages of this thread are such a clashing of opinions for rings, must be a minefield for them.
See I really dislike silver and think the gold compliments the diamonds lovely. If a chap is proposing without consulting his wife to be then he’s a brave man as this thread shows we have so many varying opinions!
---
So Meghans original ring was three Diamonds on a plain band and she had little stones added to the band?
I just had a look for royal engagement rings and these popped up.....

Looking again I’m not sure if she had little stones added or made the band silver and then added the stones? But the band is very thin and wear and tear - I would worry about it breaking!
IMG_6111.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
See I really dislike silver and think the gold compliments the diamonds lovely. If a chap is proposing without consulting his wife to be then he’s a brave man as this thread shows we have so many varying opinions!
Definitely different, I find silver far classier than gold and think gold looks a bit brash

• Wow
Reactions: 8
I think the best bet would be for the couple to pick out the ring together. Or at least have the conversation beforehand of what she likes.
---

---

Looking again I’m not sure if she had little stones added or made the band silver and then added the stones? But the band is very thin and wear and tear - I would worry about it breaking!
View attachment 2137083
Also it sits badly with her wedding ring which needs to be shaped to go round the central diamond

• Wow
---

---
This makes me think of the SATC episode where Carrie finds the ring before he proposes and it makes her physically sick.

I don’t really understand the whole idea behind it being romantic for a man to pick a ring after going into it blind with no idea what his future wife would want. Most women wouldn’t let their husband even pick an outfit but you’re expecting him to pick something you’ll wear everyday for the rest of your life in the name of romance, especially something that could cost thousands of pounds, no thank you.
---
I think William is still a handsome man tbh.
Tbf I think he looks better now than he did around their wedding. It’s like he’s grown into his baldness and seems to have beefed up a bit, so when he wears summer clothes he looks good because you can see his shape better. After their wedding he still had hair but he looked a bit weedy and geeky, like this awkward stage between cute boy and sometimes handsome man.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
My husband and I got engaged, and as I work as a jeweller as part of my job, he asked me to pick some rings out. I had no idea when the event would happen and it turned out to be the most romantic moment of my life. However, I am SO GLAD I chose my ring (weirdly it is actually a Diana/Catherine-esque number). I think it’s actually healthy to discuss marriage and life together before a proposal happens. That way, you can have the life you want and that’s so much more important than some little moment of surprise. Also, camillas ring is FIT

Reactions: 12
I don’t think we can really complain about the coronation and cost of living crisis. It’s not like if Charles doesn’t have one we all get cheaper food and electricity.
It’s already been scaled down and is historic.
I work with old people and have loved hearing their memories of the Queen’s coronation, a couple of them were in London on the day and seeing the happiness in their faces now telling me is amazing.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Eugenie's padparadscha is just beautiful. They are very valuable stones as that unique pink/salmon shade is quite rare.

Kate's ring would probably look better if the sapphire was better quality. It's very dark and darker sapphires are less desired as they are less reflective; a cornflower blue would look much nicer. A slightly different halo would've looked nicer too - less 80s, more vintage (see below).

I don't really like Meghan's ring, neither the before nor the after.

Attachments

Reactions: 10
Eugenie's padparadscha is just beautiful. They are very valuable stones as that unique pink/salmon shade is quite rare.

Kate's ring would probably look better if the sapphire was better quality. It's very dark and darker sapphires are less desired as they are less reflective; a cornflower blue would look much nicer. A slightly different halo would've looked nicer too - less 80s, more vintage (see below).

That's a much better looking ring

I think I phrased my comment not ideal. By knowing your partner well enough to choose a ring, I most definitely thought of partners having talked about this and having done some window shopping together. I most definitely didn’t mean going in blind. But that’s heavily influenced by how it’s done around here. An over the top surprise engagement with no longer talks beforehand are unheard of. Engagements are just for appearances. Many don’t really have a „popping the question in a romantically planned setting“. Just like marriage is mostly a technicality as people are already living together. Doesn’t mean we don’t celebrate it properly though.

I will say I do like the darker colour of the sapphire. A very bright one could easily look even more like cheap costume jewellery. It also goes better with most colours, while a lighter blue would clash more often.
---
Looking at the links, it pains me to say that the Big Blue is actually in my top 3. If I had to choose I would pick Pippa‘s ring. I actually prefer Kate’s over the other gemstone options. The darker colour and the smaller diamonds are definitely more my thing. I don’t like multi stone gemstone rings and I don’t like the proportions in Fergie‘s and Eugenie’s ring. They look cheap (and they are anything but). It’s sad because I love a pink stone.

I do like the big diamond baguettes. So Camilla and Meghan are sharing a spot. But they are way too big. Sometimes bigger isn’t better and those massive stones look a bit krass. But the clean style is definitely my thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
I’m sure it’s just because it was the style in the 80’s but Fergie’s ring always makes me think Andrew just said he’d have the same as Charles bought for Diana. Someone in PR advised a different colour and he couldn’t afford the same size so it’s just a smaller version. Not very imaginative or personal. Keeping up with the heir even back then

• Haha

The thing with Diana’s ring is that its value both sentimental and monetary is tied up in the fact it is Diana’s ring. Start tinkering with it to take away the Diana-ness and that reduces quite considerably. i suppose at least anyone being offered it knows what they are getting.
---
I’m sure it’s just because it was the style in the 80’s but Fergie’s ring always makes me think Andrew just said he’d have the same as Charles bought for Diana. Someone in PR advised a different colour and he couldn’t afford the same size so it’s just a smaller version. Not very imaginative or personal. Keeping up with the heir even back then
it was the style mainly due to Diana. Anyone wanting to get engaged in the early/mid 80’s had to wade through trays and trays of large stones in various colours surrounded by diamonds(/cubic zirconia). It’s probably why I’m not a fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
She’s not the first to do that - the Queen Mum completely changed hers.
I think giving anyone such an important piece of jewellery sight unseen has to be prepared for the fact the recipient might not been as keen on it as they are, however romantic the gesture.
Imagine the uproar if Kate did change that ring...

Iagree with the other that I wouldn't want a ring from such a cursed marriage. From memory too he had to ask Harry to have the ring as Diana left it to him?

I'd prefer what Harry did and get a diamond/stone of some meaning and get a, ring made

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.