The Royal Family #37

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Am I the only one who isn't filled with excitement, at the prospect of a new monarch? I shudder to think about the millions being spent on this spectacle. It is just another opportunity for them to display their immense wealth. They are completely out of touch, with the majority of their subjects who are struggling financially.
Well, we get a new monarch automatically when the old one pops off and the rest is just bread and circuses.

Reactions: 12
I kind of assumed everyone would be watching the Coronation but the older age group don't seem bothered. I've been invited to a street party but I'm having my own at home whilst watching it.
I find people who don't have a Monarchy are envious of ours as they like all the pomp and ceremony which is what I like (Kate the Princess of Wales likes that too).
We all need something to look forward to in life otherwise it would be a boring drudge so I try to find a bit of fun and happiness where I can. 😁👑

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I don’t know about that. I’m not sure I’d want a ring which famously symbolised such an unhappy marriage “whatever love is”.
I would want to choose my own ring it was hardly Mummy's lucky ring was it?

• Haha
Reactions: 10
William is going to be filming a documentary with ITV about his work with homelessness charities. It will air in the summer. He can’t write a book but this is the next best thing. A way to connect with the 21st century generation. I hope we get to see some clips of the Waleses at home too.

I think I can hear plates being smashed in Montecito.

He made a really good documentary a couple of years ago for ITV about the planet so hopefully this is good as well. ITV in general make pretty good royal documentaries, they had a good one for Charles 70th a few years ago.

Reactions: 4
I kind of assumed everyone would be watching the Coronation but the older age group don't seem bothered. I've been invited to a street party but I'm having my own at home whilst watching it.
I find people who don't have a Monarchy are envious of ours as they like all the pomp and ceremony which is what I like (Kate the Princess of Wales likes that too).
We all need something to look forward to in life otherwise it would be a boring drudge so I try to find a bit of fun and happiness where I can. 😁👑
I think people are resenting the fact that millions are being spent on this farce and most of us are struggling to pay bills and buy food.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I would want to choose my own ring it was hardly Mummy's lucky ring was it?
It's huge and flashy as well. It doesn't seem like the kind of ring she'd have chosen for herself. I know Kate's not doing the dishes etc but I wonder if she wears it day to day around the house - it's massive.

It's huge and flashy as well. It doesn't seem like the kind of ring she'd have chosen for herself. I know Kate's not doing the dishes etc but I wonder if she wears it day to day around the house - it's massive.
I don't like it at all looks v Argos

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I've decided to think of it as a boost to all the small businesses who will benefit.
Tourists will come to London and spend in hotels, cafes, restaurants, shops.
Those who want to celebrate will be buying all kinds of commemorative stuff from businesses all over the place.
People will go to venues with big screens and buy food and drink.
Covid was a hard knock and its effect is still felt.

Events like this will help businesses a little.

Government wasted money on things that don't bring in tourism such as the failed test and trace etc
At least this event might bring some revenue into businesses who were clobbered by lockdowns.

That's how I am dealing with the expense of it.
---
PS
I think the Diana/Catherine engagement ring is hideous.

Reactions: 22
I don't like it at all looks v Argos
That's exactly what it looks like. Makes me wonder if Diana would have picked it if she was a few years older getting engaged.

If I were Kate I would have tried to politely turn it down

Reactions: 5
I think Kate has a ring of her own that William gave her, Diana’s ring was more about symbolism and having her as part of the occasion.

Reactions: 1
To me it’s always seemed William didn’t really care about her own preferences and was too lazy or didn’t care to come up with something that she may have wanted. It’s self centered. Kate, however, I would never have said no, she put in for too much effort, and wasted so much of her life waiting for this guy to propose.

Here in the US, we spend a lot more every 4 years on inaugurations.

I remember reading back in the day that she’d been presented with a tray of rings from Garrads and deliberately chose the biggest and flashiest ring.

Reactions: 8
I remember reading back in the day that she’d been presented with a tray of rings from Garrads and deliberately chose the biggest and flashiest ring.
Plus it was of it’s time. 80’s gaudy flash looking! It’s bloody hideous. I’d be doing a Meghan and retaining the stones but fashioned into something nicer or to my taste.

Reactions: 5
If I was picking an engagement ring at 19 I’d definitely hate the ring now. I love a coloured gem engagement ring, they’re different and because they’re not following a trend I feel they don’t date but still look a bit vintage. Diana/Kate’s sapphire is just a bit too big with such a thin band though, but I still kinda love it, if any of you follow Niomi Smart she had a similar engagement ring but emerald and a lot of people on her thread didn’t like it but I did.

Am I the only one who isn't filled with excitement, at the prospect of a new monarch? I shudder to think about the millions being spent on this spectacle. It is just another opportunity for them to display their immense wealth. They are completely out of touch, with the majority of their subjects who are struggling financially.
but isn't the alternative a presidency? That would entail an inauguration every 4 years, Trump's cost $200 million! We haven't had a coronation in 70 years.

Reactions: 10
To me it’s always seemed William didn’t really care about her own preferences and was too lazy or didn’t care to come up with something that she may have wanted. It’s self centered. Kate, however, I would never have said no, she put in for too much effort, and wasted so much of her life waiting for this guy to propose.

Here in the US, we spend a lot more every 4 years on inaugurations.
To be fair to William, I can see how someone in his situation - having lost a parent at a young age - would think it was lovely that his wife had his mother's ring. It's just a pity for Kate that it's such a horrible ring. Anyway you'd want a heart of stone to tell your boyfriend you don't want his dead mother's ring when he's down on his knees in front of you.

Reactions: 13
We are assuming Catherine doesn't like the ring.
Maybe she loves it.

Reactions: 12
To be fair to William, I can see how someone in his situation - having lost a parent at a young age - would think it was lovely that his wife had his mother's ring. It's just a pity for Kate that it's such a horrible ring. Anyway you'd want a heart of stone to tell your boyfriend you don't want his dead mother's ring when he's down on his knees in front of you.
It depends on the people involved. A friend of mine proposed last night (now engaged :love: ) using his mother's engagement ring. My daughter wants her boyfriend to propose using her grandmothers engagement ring.

I never wear my engagement ring. At the time we didn't have the money so the rings were not very glamorous. I upgraded a few year later to a really nice wedding ring which I wear on its own. I've still kept the others though for sentimental reasons. I have a friend who changed her rings every now again or has them re designed.

Diana's ring just screams 80's though.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.