The Royal Family #37

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think the rest of the Royal staff called her AK47.
To be fair, the Court is quite a petty place and I would imagine that the minute someone seems to have the ear and favour of one of the Royals the sniping and backbiting starts with the rest of the staff. The Queen apparently gave her books the seal of approval and the fact she continued to work for her after they were published suggests she wasn’t particularly fussed. They are extremely good at freezing out If they want to.

Reactions: 7
I think the Queen was pretty astute despite her great age.Personally I doubt whether she wanted or needed "protection". I do think she would want and expect loyalty from her family and friends though.
I have no doubt that the Queen was very astute, no sign that her mind was clouded at all. That being said she was very old, probably lonely, tired, missing Philip and ultimately extremely unwell and in pain. Those things cause vulnerability.

Reactions: 10
Totally agree. To me the whole tone of the books was a bit too much "poor old HMQ, can't manage without Marvellous ME!!!!' Horrid. Something Harry said suddenly made sense, when he talked about HMQ needing to be protected. Almost everybody assumed he meant family and went on rants about what a turd he was being. What if he was actually talking about AK? Very elderly people can be vulnerable in these situations, even if they are a reigning monarch!
I thought he was talking about her private secretary and some other courtiers. He called them the fly and the wasp and the bug or something like that in his book but royal watchers knew who they were. They were the people he blamed for her saying no to half in half out and he says they blocked him from seeing her. I don't think he likes AK (tiaragate?) but those 3 seemed to be more of a problem for him.

Kate spoke about her engagement ring and the connection to Diana. Was surprise she was so candid but I think it was lovely she talked about it.
I’m critical of the Royals but I have to say the visit to Aberfan seems to have been a success. There was an ease with the public, nothing took away from the solemn event (such as what she’s wearing, I think her outfit was the perfect choice) and they marked the anniversary in a dignified manner.
I wasn’t a fan of series 3 or 4 of The Crown but I think they showed the build up to the disaster and the actual tip hitting the school very well. It wasn’t gratuitous at all and showed the sense of panic. I remember reading about this several years ago, how the headteacher was found holding children as he tried to save them, the dinner lady using her body as cover which meant 5 children got to go home that day but she didn’t. I’m surprised they haven’t made a film about this, I think if don’t sensitively it would be really impactful.

• Sad
Reactions: 13
A shame they didn't do more - one engagement on day 1, and one engagement on day 2, and neither started til afternoon.

But to expect them to work like Anne or Charles twice their age is a bit much I suppose.

Kate spoke about her engagement ring and the connection to Diana. Was surprise she was so candid but I think it was lovely she talked about it.
I’m critical of the Royals but I have to say the visit to Aberfan seems to have been a success. There was an ease with the public, nothing took away from the solemn event (such as what she’s wearing, I think her outfit was the perfect choice) and they marked the anniversary in a dignified manner.
I wasn’t a fan of series 3 or 4 of The Crown but I think they showed the build up to the disaster and the actual tip hitting the school very well. It wasn’t gratuitous at all and showed the sense of panic. I remember reading about this several years ago, how the headteacher was found holding children as he tried to save them, the dinner lady using her body as cover which meant 5 children got to go home that day but she didn’t. I’m surprised they haven’t made a film about this, I think if don’t sensitively it would be really impactful.
I thought the Aberfan episode was the best of The Crown.

Reactions: 10
A shame they didn't do more - one engagement on day 1, and one engagement on day 2, and neither started til afternoon.

But to expect them to work like Anne or Charles twice their age is a bit much I suppose.
I think they did. They went also to Merthyr Tydfil I saw in the press

Reactions: 5
William is going to be filming a documentary with ITV about his work with homelessness charities. It will air in the summer. He can’t write a book but this is the next best thing. A way to connect with the 21st century generation. I hope we get to see some clips of the Waleses at home too.

I think I can hear plates being smashed in Montecito.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
I have no doubt that the Queen was very astute, no sign that her mind was clouded at all. That being said she was very old, probably lonely, tired, missing Philip and ultimately extremely unwell and in pain. Those things cause vulnerability.
It's hard to imagine what she must have gone through in her final months.Both physically and emotionally.

• Sad
Kate, the baby and the bag.

The bag looks empty, must carry them just for show, to finish an outfit.

I don’t know about that. I’m not sure I’d want a ring which famously symbolised such an unhappy marriage “whatever love is”.

Reactions: 22
Yeah kate should be given a ring from Queen Elizabeth now and the engagement ring from Diana passed on the Charlotte for her 21st or something

• Wow
Reactions: 3
A little anniversary pic today.
I can’t believe it’s been 12 years since I sat with my commemorative biscuit tin and watched the whole day of coverage!
IMG_9551.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I don’t know about that. I’m not sure I’d want a ring which famously symbolised such an unhappy marriage “whatever love is”.
Somehow, I don't think that detail would bother her. Just a feeling.

Yeah kate should be given a ring from Queen Elizabeth now and the engagement ring from Diana passed on the Charlotte for her 21st or something
i would imagine if anyone gets it, it will be George and then only if or when he finds someone willing to join the circus.

Reactions: 6
Am I the only one who isn't filled with excitement, at the prospect of a new monarch? I shudder to think about the millions being spent on this spectacle. It is just another opportunity for them to display their immense wealth. They are completely out of touch, with the majority of their subjects who are struggling financially.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
From what I read in Private Eye, your description is accurate. They said the last few months of her life were pretty dreadful due to her illness and she was beginning to lose control of the institution, in fact I seem to remember them saying no one was in charge for the last few months when she was up in Scotland.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.