The Royal Family #35

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Lots of Americans have a soft spot or at least are fascinated by the BRF. Going after them in a book which appeared to target an American audience was dense beyond belief.
I think they had support in America after Oprah but they're overexposed now and people have seen through them because of it. They're criticised in the UK but they're being absolutely ridiculed in America which is worse for them really. They're the butt of a lot of jokes over there and that's got to hurt.

Reactions: 4
America is a pretty mixed country. They did have a lot of support but much of that has evaporated.

The book was really a turning point. I don't think they expect people like Jimmy Kimmel taking the piss put of the dog bowl stuff

Once this will they/won't they borefest over the coronation is done I wonder if the media will even have much interest in them.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Kanye was gracious when Fishsticks aired, being surprisingly self-aware.
Dumb prince and stupid wife are likely frothing at the mouth writing letters accusing MS/TP of "misogyny" as we speak.

Reactions: 3
I wonder whether Meghan will do a sharp rethink about her book in the wake of the reaction to Spare? I mean, if she had any awareness at all she would pull the plug on it pronto. Not convinced she has any though.

Reactions: 10
Finally got round to watching the episode last night. Not as good as last week's Kanye one. My favourite part was the noise Harry's blue todger made as he rubbed it against the window.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I wonder whether Meghan will do a sharp rethink about her book in the wake of the reaction to Spare? I mean, if she had any awareness at all she would pull the plug on it pronto. Not convinced she has any though.
Do they have a 5 book deal? Will she get any choice?

Depends if they’re still interested in changing the world and being “global citizens”. Might as well double down and make the millions from her book, not that I think her book will sell anywhere near what Harrys did, but it’ll make enough to invest it and make more.

Reactions: 1
I read Harry’s. Well, no, I used one Audible credit on it and listened to it in his own voice. I’ll say one thing for him – he’s one of the, if not THE best reader of audiobooks I’ve heard. Better than the professionally trained actors you usually have doing them. Anyway, yes, I listened to the whole 15+ hours. But I don’t think I’d be as interested/invested/nosy about Meghan’s story. Like you say, it isn’t likely to sell half as well. Are they locked into this deal now though? Wisest thing by far would be for her to change course completely in hers and leave him lumbered with the ‘whinging’ connotations. Esp if she has her own aspirations (political or otherwise) for the future. Best she be seen as positive. Tbf Harry was a whinger long before he met her anyway and much as I don’t really ‘like’ her as such (I’m adverse to the kind of word salad she keeps spouting), I also find it grossly unfair that she’s blamed for all that. Her ratings have plummeted even further than his because of Spare - that’s not right really is it. Esp when she also has to live with the woe-is-me entitled little brat.

Reactions: 5
Hasn't Meghan already published a children's book? I wonder if they'll swing back in that direction at some point. Neither has achieved so much in life that their experiences outweigh their main selling point of talking smack about the royals. Given that Spare has proven that doing it in a long-form project is profitable but tanks their popularity, continuing down that road will bring diminishing returns.

Their victim narrative sold well in interviews and with some mystery behind it, but when presented in detail and alongside the immense privileges Harry appears to take for granted, it comes off as ridiculous, hence all the ridicule.
If they want to see out the book deal without losing all support, they need to pivot rather than hoping that the next tell-all will be the one to really win the crowds over.

Reactions: 7
Hasn't Meghan already published a children's book? I wonder if they'll swing back in that direction at some point. Neither has achieved so much in life that their experiences outweigh their main selling point of talking smack about the royals. Given that Spare has proven that doing it in a long-form project is profitable but tanks their popularity, continuing down that road will bring diminishing returns.

Their victim narrative sold well in interviews and with some mystery behind it, but when presented in detail and alongside the immense privileges Harry appears to take for granted, it comes off as ridiculous, hence all the ridicule.
If they want to see out the book deal without losing all support, they need to pivot rather than hoping that the next tell-all will be the one to really win the crowds over.
I think this is a huge problem for them. They're so convinced they're in the right and that we all can't see it because they just haven't explained enough yet. I think Meghan is smart enough to realise they need to change but Harry is too wrapped up in his victimhood to see it. They're just unlikeable and they can't force us to like them no matter how many books or interviews they do.

• Heart
Surely after Harry's book, Megan's should be the real finding freedom - about how happy they've been since moving to the US???

A chronical of riches to even more riches sort of thing??? People like aspirational stories and redemption tales.

• Haha
I'm so impressed with this initiative:

Princess Anne has been touring New Zealand this past week and has been keeping a relatively low profile as much of the attention has been on the cyclone damage. I did see snippets of her and her husband though, and she honestly seems like such a nice lady. She is a huge asset to the Royal Family but given her age I don't think it's fair of them to rely so much on her for the long-haul visits.

------

Princess Victoria of Sweden (and husband Daniel) are also visiting here (NZ) at the moment:

------

The current royal visits have received mention in the paper on the news, but they've largely been buried as the news focuses on the relief efforts following the cyclone. Thousands of people are still unaccounted for, the death toll is rising, and the clean-up work seems never-ending. Some communities are still without power and cut off (due to roads being damaged).

Has enough time passed for anyone to have an opinion on how well the King is doing as a Monarch?

If so are you pleasantly surprised or disappointed?

Reactions: 3
I'm so impressed with this initiative:

Princess Anne has been touring New Zealand this past week and has been keeping a relatively low profile as much of the attention has been on the cyclone damage. I did see snippets of her and her husband though, and she honestly seems like such a nice lady. She is a huge asset to the Royal Family but given her age I don't think it's fair of them to rely so much on her for the long-haul visits.

------

Princess Victoria of Sweden (and husband Daniel) are also visiting here (NZ) at the moment:

------

The current royal visits have received mention in the paper on the news, but they've largely been buried as the news focuses on the relief efforts following the cyclone. Thousands of people are still unaccounted for, the death toll is rising, and the clean-up work seems never-ending. Some communities are still without power and cut off (due to roads being damaged).
ha, I was coincidentally at the Gardens on Saturday and saw the Swedish royals. Felt sorry for the prince, it was way too bloody hot to be wearing a suit! Hard life 😂

And yes, I agree on Charles, what a great initiative!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
Has enough time passed for anyone to have an opinion on how well the King is doing as a Monarch?

Not surprised or disappointed. I like Charles. I always thought he’d make a good King based on his work with the The Prince’s Trust

Reactions: 11

I think he's doing a great job!

It can't be easy for him for a number of reasons ... and now Camilla is sick (with Covid) he probably doesn't feel *as* supported as he normally does (obviously he has a team of people surrounding him but that's not quite the same). I do have a bit of a soft spot for him because as a fellow Scorpio, I understand his little quirks. I do feel he's quite sensitive to other people doing it tough, and believe he does truly care.

He needs to do more with Sophie and Edward though - they are great ambassadors and clearly happy to do the work. He also needs to get Kate and William to do more (probably an unpopular opinion, but they're not front-and-centre as they should be).

It's a shame that Zara isn't a working royal because I think she'd also be a hard worker / great ambassador - like her mum.

Suggest he might want to read the room

Lordy. Between this apparent situation and Harry complaining about being cut off, I have to wonder what they do with their inheritances and trust funds. I mean, it's not as if their "salary" from the crown is all they get and they're destitute when it stops as the job they do to earn it ceases.

Is the thought process simply that as they are part of the family they are owed ongoing funding, even when their claim to it as working royals ends? I'd love to see that idea justified.

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.