The Royal Family #31

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
First of all, where did she say ‘They don’t represent me’, lol. She has obviously spoken against them and people can have their opinions on that, I have my opinions on MM, but she obviously sees herself as still some part of that broader institution, attends official events, and is titled as Duchess. Do I agree with that, no, but that’s what it is and I’m a big fan of accepting reality.
Second of all, that’s also not the condition (she distanced herself from us!) that would preclude someone from making a statement on something of public interest. TRF stands at an intersection of this incident whether they like it or not. Their association with The Sun, the fact that Meghan IS in fact a member of their family, and the fact that the article was written in that context. In addition to that, this is also an issue of misogyny and press standards. TRF has commented on public racism and other affronts before.
Now, they can choose not to say anything, that’s their right. And people will defend them for it. But it seems a very easy and simple rebuke that costs them nothing. (Except for maybe a threat from The Sun).
I think the cost, from a palace pov, is fanning the flames of this story when they want it to fizzle out and disappear.

I don't think they're under any obligation to defend Meghan per se - they don't have a working relationship with her and I don't think there's much of a family relationship there either. The article itself was written in response to a documentary series where she and Harry were very critical of the RF so them intervening to defend her is only going to create more drama.

It's more a question of whether or not they should comment on an issue of standards and misogyny within the British press. Ordinarily, I would say they should but in this case, with all the history between themselves and Meghan, I can see why they're staying out of it. I don't think it would be an easy or simple rebuke at all. I think it would generate hundreds more articles and a whole load more drama.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I think the cost, from a palace pov, is fanning the flames of this story when they want it to fizzle out and disappear.

I don't think they're under any obligation to defend Meghan per se - they don't have a working relationship with her and I don't think there's much of a family relationship there either. The article itself was written in response to a documentary series where she and Harry were very critical of the RF so them intervening to defend her is only going to create more drama.

It's more a question of whether or not they should comment on an issue of standards and misogyny within the British press. Ordinarily, I would say they should but in this case, with all the history between themselves and Meghan, I can see why they're staying out of it. I don't think it would be an easy or simple rebuke at all. I think it would generate hundreds more articles and a whole load more drama.
I think it’s possibly one of those situations where it wouldn’t hurt to release a Source. Even something as bland as given her work with DV charities, Camilla was very upset with the content of the column which she hadn't seen before the Fortum lunch or something as equally bland.

Reactions: 12
I think it’s possibly one of those situations where it wouldn’t hurt to release a Source. Even something as bland as given her work with DV charities, Camilla was very upset with the content of the column which she hadn't seen before the Fortum lunch or something as equally bland.
Yes I think it calls for a source rather than an official statement. I wonder if the RF have put pressure on Jeremy Clarkson to apologise and make it go away. His apology wasn't up to much but it's more than he'd usually do.

Reactions: 3
They LITERALLY don't represent her. They are not working royals. the live independently with a private income and have their own spokespeople.
Meghan is the King’s daughter in law, married to his son, and mother to his grandchildren. They may wish it weren’t so, but that’s what it is. For the same people sobbing about ‘family!’ suddenly this becomes a very simple business institution when it goes the other way.
And I am aware they aren’t her direct representatives, nor is she a working Royal. However, she is still a titled and visible Royal and again— accepting reality— she isn’t some distant cousin no one has thought of in years. She was brought to a public walkabout with W&K just a few months ago. She is, in many ways, still a part of this institution, and directly in the family.

I understand the ‘don’t comment and give it more attention’ way of thinking, but they better be very aware of what currency they have to spend to comment on other stories in the future.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Meghan is the King’s daughter in law, married to his son, and mother to his grandchildren. They may wish it weren’t so, but that’s what it is. For the same people sobbing about ‘family!’ suddenly this becomes a very simple business institution when it goes the other way.
And I am aware they aren’t her direct representatives, nor is she a working Royal. However, she is still a titled and visible Royal and again— accepting reality— she isn’t some distant cousin no one has thought of in years. She was brought to a public walkabout with W&K just a few months ago. She is, in many ways, still a part of this institution, and directly in the family.

I understand the ‘don’t comment and give it more attention’ way of thinking, but they better be very aware of what currency they have to spend to comment on other stories in the future.
I think we'll just have to disagree. As sickening as JC's comment was I think any response from the RF would be wrong and, I suspect, not be welcomed by the Sussexes. I also imagine they've got one eye on Harry's upcoming book which, gossip suggests, is going to be pretty poisonous towards Camilla

• Heart
Reactions: 10

I don't think that not commenting on this is going to do any long term damage to the rf. I don't even think having written the article will do any long term damage to Jeremy Clarkson. He has a new series of Clarkson's farm out soon and I'd bet that it will have as many viewers as the last. People think that what he wrote is disgusting but there will be some other story along to displace it soon enough. The crappy apology will nearly kill the story off altogether. It's really disappointing that there's no consequences to the sun for publishing it or to him for writing it but there won't be. From the RF pov the sensible thing to do is to ignore until it blows over. It won't take long.

• Heart
The below figures are from the Digital Marketing Agency who released the BRF's engagement numbers for 2022. It doesn't take into account remaining engagements for 2022 which are expected to be a pre-Christmas lunch at Buckingham Palace and the Christmas Day church walk at Sandringham (which is pretty ridiculous - Christmas lunches/parties and short strolls are NOT work).

Despite the padding of figures with private events, sports matches and even telephone calls, their numbers are very low. The figure also takes into account events surrounding the Jubilee and funeral. Kate is at the bottom of the list in terms of senior royals and even lower than the Gloucesters.

FkViHaqWAAAKQh0.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
I don't think that not commenting on this is going to do any long term damage to the rf. I don't even think having written the article will do any long term damage to Jeremy Clarkson. He has a new series of Clarkson's farm out soon and I'd bet that it will have as many viewers as the last. People think that what he wrote is disgusting but there will be some other story along to displace it soon enough. The crappy apology will nearly kill the story off altogether. It's really disappointing that there's no consequences to the sun for publishing it or to him for writing it but there won't be. From the RF pov the sensible thing to do is to ignore until it blows over. It won't take long.
Let’s face it even a ‘fracas’/punching someone in the fizzog didn‘t do him any long term damage, sooo 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 4
The below figures are from the Digital Marketing Agency who released the BRF's engagement numbers for 2022. It doesn't take into account remaining engagements for 2022 which are expected to be a pre-Christmas lunch at Buckingham Palace and the Christmas Day church walk at Sandringham (which is pretty ridiculous - Christmas lunches/parties and short strolls are NOT work).

Despite the padding of figures with private events, sports matches and even telephone calls, their numbers are very low. The figure also takes into account events surrounding the Jubilee and funeral. Kate is at the bottom of the list in terms of senior royals and even lower than the Gloucesters.

View attachment 1818579
Wow those are low. Kate averages about 7 a month !

• Sick
Reactions: 5
If the RF wants to react, I think a reaction in the terms of very publicly supporting a charity for ethical standards in journalism or one fighting against misogyny and sexism in the public would be good. Or including a similar message into a speech. Maybe expressing a hope that the young generation (Charlotte &Lilibet ) won’t be subjected to the shameful abuse their mothers experienced.
I don’t think the RF will demand to have guests uninvited if they are expected to attend. Maybe in personal circles but surely not for job engagements. I would have a good list of foreign or national “dignitaries” that weren’t allowed in that case. If Camilla ever was “good friends” with Clarkson (how exactly do we know this? And I highly doubt good friends as in popping round for dinner or tea occasionally, more like hanging out at the same official events) I am sure this relationship will cool down for some time if not phased out i definitely. I mean, he can be an interesting and entertaining character but he has definitely overstepped - and not the first time.

View attachment 1818579
Pffffff I will say it felt as if she did work a bit more this year. Its one of her worst years I think. Which just shows that with the right PR, you might get away with low numbers. But it’s frankly embarrassing and unworthy for a Queen in waiting. It’s sad. She and W have a lot of potential and could easily win the hearts of royal fans. But with numbers like this, she is most definitely not proving her worth to the institution.

Reactions: 8

Despite the padding of figures with private events, sports matches and even telephone calls, their numbers are very low. Kate is at the bottom of the list in terms of senior royals.

View attachment 1818579
Would all the funeral events be counted in there I wonder? Kate's are very low especially considering she went on two tours. The fact that she's called Princess Kate on the list makes me wonder how legit it is though?! Between matches and Wimbledon, the jubilee and the two tours, she's done very little actual work.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Wow those are low. Kate averages about 7 a month !
Now they’ve finished having kids, they’re all in school and she’s just become a Queen in waiting she really should be doing more. I’d expect at least 2 London engagements and 1 out of London engagement a week moving into 2023. I don’t believe in this idea of big projects means nothing else, that would leave her with 2/3 days a week to work on those big projects as well.

View attachment 1818579
I knew the Gloucesters had engagements but considering their place in the pecking order and their ages they're pretty active. I never knew that as you hear little to nothing about them. It does show Kate up (kids or not she could do a lot better it would appear)

Reactions: 6
I think we'll just have to disagree. As sickening as JC's comment was I think any response from the RF would be wrong and, I suspect, not be welcomed by the Sussexes. I also imagine they've got one eye on Harry's upcoming book which, gossip suggests, is going to be pretty poisonous towards Camilla
If he has said poisonous things about camilla, it's hardly surprising, how many people would be happy with their dad marrying the woman who's affair caused his mum such pain.

I think Charles was delusional in thinking this was not going to happen when they married 20 years back, he really should've invested in therapy for the boys when their mother died as I believe Harry wouldn't be the troubled man he is today (with or without meghan) if Charles and the Queen had invested in the royal family as more than just a business but a collective of individuals with feelings and emotions, with some being able to handle the media scrutiny and others who cannot.

If he has said poisonous things about camilla, it's hardly surprising, how many people would be happy with their dad marrying the woman who's affair caused his mum such pain.

I think Charles was delusional in thinking this was not going to happen when they married 20 years back, he really should've invested in therapy for the boys when their mother died as I believe Harry wouldn't be the troubled man he is today (with or without meghan) if Charles and the Queen had invested in the royal family as more than just a business but a collective of individuals with feelings and emotions, with some being able to handle the media scrutiny and others who cannot.
From what they’ve both said in the past it seems it took Kate as a normal person to enter their lives and say, yes you two aren’t normal and healthy and are in need of therapy, so it seems The Queen and Charles didn’t even see how much it affected William and Harry to even consider therapy. William being older and going to uni to have some freedom around normal people appears to have helped him, but Harry joined the army and as much as he says it was great for him, it can’t have been good to send a person with undiagnosed mental health problems off to see the atrocities and brutality of war and expect him to come back in a sound state of mind.

Reactions: 13

View attachment 1818579
That really should be embarrassing ( but won't be) If you take out the various events on Royal tours which I am assuming was quite a lot but maybe it wasn't, then Kate has barely done anything all year. And agree how is going to your mothers/ grandmother funeral counted as 'work'? Just goes to show that they really do have huge capacity to do more, so the numbers could easily be cut.

I think this is the problem. They are not really a family in the usual sense, or if they are one it is one where some people are worthy and dome people are not, and the purpose of the family is to keep the show on the road. That's not
That really should be embarrassing ( but won't be) If you take out the various events on Royal tours which I am assuming was quite a lot but maybe it wasn't, then she has barely done anything all year. And agree how is going to your mothers/ grandmother funeral counted as 'work'? So much for being a close and loving family if they count that.
Is Wimbledon counted as work. I get she presents the trophies but she's there before that as well. I went to the French Open once on my own coin.

Is Wimbledon counted as work. I get she presents the trophies but she's there before that as well. I went to the French Open once on my own coin.
Yes it does. I think it counts as 3 or 4 engagements-going, shaking hands with the players before, hobnobbing in the Royal Box and presenting the trophy are one each! And going to film premieres and all the the FA Cup final, all leisure activities. It does seem as if the Royals PR are the only ones breaking a sweat here.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
There’s going to be a Prince Andrew the Musical on Channel 4?!
Least they got his yellow teeth right
I think he’s on about nailing the interview but who really knows
5ACD75B5-7375-4392-8109-1573F43E8081.jpeg

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.