The Royal Family #31

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Clarkson is known for this. He is a narcissist most likely. He's made it in his career and feels like he's untouchable now. He probably is to be fair. This story gains views and clicks because of shock value. The Sun newspaper never learn anyway. Doubt they'll sack him.

The whole farce of Harry and Meghan and the royal family is getting a bit ridiculous now. It has no impact on the general public's lives and we all, like the good plebs we are, continue to fuss over them all.

Reactions: 8
Just to make the timeline clear:

- Camilla was seen at a lunch on Wednesday (14th December) hosted by Evans Venters, the former head of Fornum&Mason that was also attended by Jeremy Clarkson and Piers Morgan.

- The last three episodes of Meghan and Harry documentary are released on Thursday (15th December).

- The Sun published Clarkson's vile column on Friday (16th December) at 9:38PM.

- On the same evening, the DM published an article about Camilla attending this lunch at 10:22 PM.
As I said before, she's the Queen Consort - she has that attendance list beforehand and Piers Morgan going should've set off enough alarm bells for her. That and this is Jeremy Clarkson, he's not really known for being a shrinking wallflower so I'm sure he made his opinion clear.

The overall take isn't if she attended the party or not - this is a woman who is an advocate for domestic violence charities who is not sticking up for a family member in which a man is inciting violence on her. Now let's ask the question - If this was Kate or any other member of the family they would be war over his article but because Megan isn't "royal" anymore and people already dislike her than it's acceptable?

• Heart
Reactions: 16
As I said before, she's the Queen Consort - she has that attendance list beforehand and Piers Morgan going should've set off enough alarm bells for her. That and this is Jeremy Clarkson, he's not really known for being a shrinking wallflower so I'm sure he made his opinion clear.

The overall take isn't if she attended the party or not - this is a woman who is an advocate for domestic violence charities who is not sticking up for a family member in which a man is inciting violence on her. Now let's ask the question - If this was Kate or any other member of the family they would be war over his article but because Megan isn't "royal" anymore and people already dislike her than it's acceptable?
I don’t think anyone has said the article being about Meghan makes it acceptable. No-one seems to think it was acceptable about anyone

Reactions: 11
What JC said was misogynistic. But expecting a woman who had nothing to do with it (Camilla) to take some responsibility for it is also misogynistic

• Heart
Reactions: 26

So Camilla's advisers should have guessed that Clarkson would write this column? Clarkson and Morgan are two people that seem to be regulars in many events in London's social scene. Are the Royals supposed to never go to events where those are appearing. More generally, should the Royals never attend events where there are columnists writing about Meghan?

It's to the Sun to retract the article and say that was an error to publish something like this. But the real problem is that the british tabloids are writing every day in disparaging and diminishing ways about people.

Reactions: 14
But she is friends with him - That's wildly reported.

Piers Morgan AND the editor of the Daily Fail were at this party too and as Queen Consort I'm sure she had the guestlist in advance to see who was going. The optics for this are so bad on her part.

Also, Harry and Meghan are FAMILY to these people - I'd like to think they'd have their back on some level with a public comment

In the same way Harry and Meghan have had TRF's back :rolleyes:

• Heart
Reactions: 12
H&M have made it very clear they have not time for the royal family and think they're liars and racists and that they are not represented by them.
In the same way Harry and Meghan have had TRF's back :rolleyes:

I'm not being facetious but I'm genuinely curious - why is the same rancor not held for Charles who openly criticised his upbringing and his parent's attitude to him as a child?

Reactions: 14
This is just an easy win for TRF— it’s obvious that while they generally don’t comment on things, and people could find that understandable, they DO absolutely occasionally comment when something is seen as ‘out of line’ in some way. (What about the statement condemning the article about William bullying H&M out of the institution? Lol). I’m sure we all know that they have no love lost for Meghan, but this is such a blatant wrong that they could easily make a bland statement and no one would really disagree with the principle of it because the column has revolted so many people regardless of their views on H&M.
In that way, they get some nice press for finally ‘standing up’ to the tabloids and they do it for something no one would blame them for.
TRF has the precedent of not just taking the obvious win because everyone starts bickering about ‘well it’s not really their business technically’… please.

And as for people like ~Oh is Camilla just NOT supposed to attend any London social scenes with Piers Morgan anymore~…… er, yes? And? She’s the Queen Consort for gods sake. If these social events are more important to her she had all the time in the world to make that decision and prioritize the London social scene instead of the position she now holds. This really isn’t that hard.

Reactions: 10
I'm not being facetious but I'm genuinely curious - why is the same rancor not held for Charles who openly criticised his upbringing and his parent's attitude to him as a child?
I haven't got a problem with H&M criticising certain aspects of the RF. Diana did it too. But I have a problem with their hypocrisy. Horrible media intrusion made our lives hell, then 'thanks for our £100million Netflix, here are some pics of our kids.'

• Heart
Reactions: 17
This is just an easy win for TRF— it’s obvious that while they generally don’t comment on things, and people could find that understandable, they DO absolutely occasionally comment when something is seen as ‘out of line’ in some way. (What about the statement condemning the article about William bullying H&M out of the institution? Lol). I’m sure we all know that they have no love lost for Meghan, but this is such a blatant wrong that they could easily make a bland statement and no one would really disagree with the principle of it because the column has revolted so many people regardless of their views on H&M.
In that way, they get some nice press for finally ‘standing up’ to the tabloids and they do it for something no one would blame them for.
TRF has the precedent of not just taking the obvious win because everyone starts bickering about ‘well it’s not really their business technically’… please.

And as for people like ~Oh is Camilla just NOT supposed to attend any London social scenes with Piers Morgan anymore~…… er, yes? And? She’s the Queen Consort for gods sake. If these social events are more important to her she had all the time in the world to make that decision and prioritize the London social scene instead of the position she now holds. This really isn’t that hard.
Maybe the problem is that those columnists that are writing rancid articles about Meghan (but not only) are way to well integrated in british public life. The Royals should then never go to social events. Camilla was probably attending that lunch because of the association between Fortnum&Mason and the dutchy of Cornwall.

But as I said, the problem is a systemic one. Where is your outrage when "average" people receive death threats because of false articles stocking on hatred are being published.

Reactions: 1
Maybe whoever did the invites should not have invited JC and PM on the basis that they are often at the forefront of being rude & controversial about people. Stop giving them a platform to be relevant

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Maybe whoever did the invites should not have invited JC and PM on the basis that they are often at the forefront of being rude & controversial about people. Stop giving them a platform to be relevant
But they’re both famous and very influential people, whether some like them or not. Jeremy was one of the biggest broadcasters on TV for the 00s and 10s and still has huge deals with Amazon and ITV. He doesn’t need a platform when he has such a huge fan base. I don’t even like Jeremy that much but his farming show is fantastic for anyone who hasn’t watched.

FWIW Claudia Winkleman and Tess Daly were at the party as well so it seems a real mix of people, Camilla can’t be expected to say no to every invite because someone who was mean to Meghan is there.

Reactions: 9
You guys are comparing the way YOU or even some random celeb or Influencer would assess and act on a social calendar with the Queen Consort. Let me say that you truly have no idea what you’re talking about.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
It was a private lunch - it wasn't a platform for anything and I don't think we'd have ever even known about it if Clarkson hadn't written his article. Their platform is their TV and newspaper gigs and the reason they have that platform is because people like to watch them. I don't condone what Jeremy wrote but it's a stretch to say he or Piers should never be invited to a private lunch by anybody ever again. I wouldn't invite them to lunch but that doesn't mean other people shouldn't if they want to. People watch them and listen to them - that is the only reason that they're relevant.

• Sick
Reactions: 3
You guys are comparing the way YOU or even some random celeb or Influencer would assess and act on a social calendar with the Queen Consort. Let me say that you truly have no idea what you’re talking about.
You're the one suggesting the Palace put out an official statement about someone who has very publicly said that they don't represent her

Reactions: 3
You're the one suggesting the Palace put out an official statement about someone who has very publicly said that they don't represent her
First of all, where did she say ‘They don’t represent me’, lol. She has obviously spoken against them and people can have their opinions on that, I have my opinions on MM, but she obviously sees herself as still some part of that broader institution, attends official events, and is titled as Duchess. Do I agree with that, no, but that’s what it is and I’m a big fan of accepting reality.
Second of all, that’s also not the condition (she distanced herself from us!) that would preclude someone from making a statement on something of public interest. TRF stands at an intersection of this incident whether they like it or not. Their association with The Sun, the fact that Meghan IS in fact a member of their family, and the fact that the article was written in that context. In addition to that, this is also an issue of misogyny and press standards. TRF has commented on public racism and other affronts before.
Now, they can choose not to say anything, that’s their right. And people will defend them for it. But it seems a very easy and simple rebuke that costs them nothing. (Except for maybe a threat from The Sun).

• Heart
Reactions: 8
It was a private lunch - it wasn't a platform for anything and I don't think we'd have ever even known about it if Clarkson hadn't written his article. Their platform is their TV and newspaper gigs and the reason they have that platform is because people like to watch them. I don't condone what Jeremy wrote but it's a stretch to say he or Piers should never be invited to a private lunch by anybody ever again. I wouldn't invite them to lunch but that doesn't mean other people shouldn't if they want to. People watch them and listen to them - that is the only reason that they're relevant.
I read about the lunch before the article was published

Reactions: 6
First of all, where did she say ‘They don’t represent me’, lol. She has obviously spoken against them and people can have their opinions on that, I have my opinions on MM, but she obviously sees herself as still some part of that broader institution, attends official events, and is titled as Duchess. Do I agree with that, no, but that’s what it is and I’m a big fan of accepting reality.
Second of all, that’s also not the condition (she distanced herself from us!) that would preclude someone from making a statement on something of public interest. TRF stands at an intersection of this incident whether they like it or not. Their association with The Sun, the fact that Meghan IS in fact a member of their family, and the fact that the article was written in that context. In addition to that, this is also an issue of misogyny and press standards. TRF has commented on public racism and other affronts before.
Now, they can choose not to say anything, that’s their right. And people will defend them for it. But it seems a very easy and simple rebuke that costs them nothing. (Except for maybe a threat from The Sun).
They LITERALLY don't represent her. They are not working royals. the live independently with a private income and have their own spokespeople.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.