The Royal Family #30

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think they should ditch the curtsying. It was ridiculous even in the Queen’s time but perhaps understandable as she was from a certain generation.

• Angry
Reactions: 15
The thing is to the outside world the curtseying thing may sound daft but you are talking about an institution that is over 1000 years old and steeped in tradition and protocol. It is what it is. To those in TRF it will be second nature to them.
I've seen footage of the royal family bowing or curtsying to the Queen, they never looked bothered by it or like they didn't want to do it. It looked like to them it was just another way of showing affection and respect towards her as a grandmother and an elder more than as the Queen.

Reactions: 9
I've seen footage of the royal family bowing or curtsying to the Queen, they never looked bothered by it or like they didn't want to do it. It looked like to them it was just another way of showing affection and respect towards her as a grandmother and an elder more than as the Queen.
But when you are brought up with something, it's nit weird until someone from the outside points out that it's ridiculous. My family are devout Catholics. My husband is atheist from birth The number of times he has spat out his tea at things I would just see as completely normal is hilarious. And when it's pointed out to me, some of the things are faintly ridiculous, but I was brought up with them, so they are completely normal!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
But when you are brought up with something, it's nit weird until someone from the outside points out that it's ridiculous. My family are devout Catholics. My husband is atheist from birth The number of times he has spat out his tea at things I would just see as completely normal is hilarious. And when it's pointed out to me, some of the things are faintly ridiculous, but I was brought up with them, so they are completely normal!
You could say the same thing about the other person, and say that something seems ridiculous to them simply because they didn't grow up with it. Ultimately what's normal or not depends on the way you were raised.
In any case I don't think bowing or doing a quick curtsy to an elder is that big of a deal. People do more demanding things in order to be polite or fit into another family's traditions, religion or culture all the time.

Reactions: 5
Are they not saying those things because they want to preserve some kind of family relationship or because they have no proof and would be in a world of legal trouble if they did? I think it's the latter.
I've started watching it now. They've actually come across well as a couple so far but the way they build up their love story as some kind of fairy tale is just not for me. There's a lot of archive footage and photos with voiceovers so it's dragging a bit and I'm only 20 minutes in.
I would think he would know much of the family gossip and skeletons up to and including 2018/19 and probably bits and pieces after.

Reactions: 2
Regarding the curtsey whether its odd or not its the thing that is done in that family, so respect it or duck off!

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Regarding the curtsey whether its odd or not its the thing that is done in that family, so respect it or duck off!
I agree. It's odd but TQ was in her nineties and reared with governess, home schooled etc and from a different time. Maybe Charles isn't so strict on those things and not knowing them (obviously) maybe future King William won't expect his own kids/grandkids to curtsy in private at all. But it wouldn't have been a huge load for Meghan to have observed that one particular thing

Reactions: 8
I have to disagree with this. It would do so much damage to Harry. I know he isn’t behaving well but that would be a horrible low. I think Charles is better than that.

But eventually, if all they keep coming up with is the same story (and as far as I can see there is nothing new in the documentary so far), then people will get bored. So if there is anything juicy then they need to save that for later. I think the boats are already well burnt myself. But I do wonder how much more of interest they have to say. If the royal family think not much more than what they have said so far and all they can do is keep repeating the same thing then they can keep ignoring them. They won’t do more damage than has already been done.
But they don’t need to come up with anything new … or at least in the first 3 programmes. Netflix know what’s out there, so the fact its mainly jhuzzed up old news obviously doesn’t bother them. It’s led the news all day from before it was released, thr BBC and Guadian were live-blogging along and at one point the Daily a Mail had seventeen (17) articles including the insight and wisdom of Judi James. All for banal stuff that was out there already.

Reactions: 6
I think for an American especially it would be hard to grasp what it means to be a royal , I'm sure they think it's the stuff of fairytales and don't believe people actually live like that in the 21st century . I bet they believe people actually stick out their pinky while drinking tea from a china cup and saucer lol.

Reactions: 2
I love how some MPs are up in arms, demanding their titles are stripped but they didn’t say a peep about Andrew having his titles taken away.

Reactions: 18
I think for an American especially it would be hard to grasp what it means to be a royal , I'm sure they think it's the stuff of fairytales and don't believe people actually live like that in the 21st century . I bet they believe people actually stick out their pinky while drinking tea from a china cup and saucer lol.
American or not she should still show some respect especially with marrying into the Royal Family. She can play dumb all she wants but she was no naive spring chicken. She obviously wasn't intent on fitting in with her new family.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
American or not she should still show some respect especially with marrying into the Royal Family. She can play dumb all she wants but she was no naive spring chicken. She obviously wasn't intent on fitting in with her new family.
Who could fit in? It means giving up your whole identity I don’t think many people are prepared for a sacrifice like that no matter how much you love a person , she’s not just marrying the man she’s marrying the institution.

Reactions: 9
I love how some MPs are up in arms, demanding their titles are stripped but they didn’t say a peep about Andrew having his titles taken away.
Andrew crawled back in the gutter where he belongs and has stayed quiet.
Harry and Meghan trash the Royal Family over and over again for money yet still want and use their titles.

Reactions: 14
I don’t think Anne is thick either. Quite quick-witted. I don’t know enough about Edward to say. Andrew has never struck me as very bright. Philip really did know a lot about a lot of things.
Philip was tipped for the top as a young naval officer and stories from his wartime navy days show him as very quick-witted and quick to come up with solutions in adverse situations. He won the Dirk as best student at Dartmouth. Tim Laurence (who himself was on a star career trajectory as an equerry when he met Anne and ended up a Vice-Admiral) was very interesting about that and Philip's naval career during the coverage of his funeral, obviously prerecorded!

Edward strikes me as similar to Charles and as an older adult (once he and Sophie buckled down to royal work) similarly self-deprecating, unlike Andrew. He got nine O levels and three A Levels though the later weren't great at CDD. Harry so far is the only one of the cousins who hasn't done reasonably ok academically; William, Peter, Beatrice and Eugenie all graduated from university, Zara 'attended' university and qualified as a physiotherapist, and Louise is in her first term at St Andrews University. Only James is still at school, being in his mid teens. While not at the Masters and PhD level of the Japanese Imperial Family, that's not too bad.

ETA: Chelsey Davis has two degrees, in economics and in law, and has two businesses of her own. Harry was punching academically there.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Andrew crawled back in the gutter where he belongs and has stayed quiet.
Harry and Meghan trash the Royal Family over and over again for money yet still want and use their titles.
The newspapers trash the royals over and over, that’s part of deal ( apparently) imagine your life being a PLC .

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.