The Royal Family #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That Guardian article is something else isn’t it, I’ve never read anything like it before. Here’s the link if anyone’s interested. I’ve shared it before, but the picture at the top has made me wonder - will all the stamps and money have to change to pictures of Charles??

They will do going forward but I don't think they withdraw the old ones. I was nine when we went decimal and my pocket money was always a mishmash of copper coins from George V, George VI, and Elizabeth.

Oh, and apparently now one of the guys in fancy coats on the back of carriages is not a,groom but an armed protection officer, I read somewhere.

Reactions: 10
They will do going forward but I don't think they withdraw the old ones. I was nine when we went decimal and my pocket money was always a mishmash of copper coins from George V, George VI, and Elizabeth.

Oh, and apparently now one of the guys in fancy coats on the back of carriages is not a,groom but an armed protection officer, I read somewhere.
Ah thank you! That makes sense. It’s going to be so weird seeing his face on notes and coins.

Reactions: 3

I'm sure they are, but back then, more innocent times. His father worked directly for the King, and offered did his son want to do it.

Reactions: 2
Surely it would take years to withdraw all money with the Queens image, is there much point even making new stuff for Charles?

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Surely it would take years to withdraw all money with the Queens image, is there much point even making new stuff for Charles?
Notes and coins issued after Charles accedes to the throne will have his picture on but the ones with the Queen will stay in circulation. My dad says that before decimilisation rendered the old currency obsolete that there was money with the images of several different monarchs in circulation, going as far back as Victorian pennies.

Reactions: 13
That Guardian article is something else isn’t it, I’ve never read anything like it before. Here’s the link if anyone’s interested. I’ve shared it before, but the picture at the top has made me wonder - will all the stamps and money have to change to pictures of Charles??

Stamps and money will change, eventually, but they don't take the old ones out of circulation, they just start making new ones and stop making the old ones. IIRC they already have the designs done.

I am surprised there is no further updates om Prince Philip. It must be almost 2 weeks now that he is in hospital. The longer he is in, the worse I think he is.

Reactions: 7
I’ve got to be honest, would the Queen have done that cheerful zoom chat about getting the vaccine, or would Harry lark about with James Cordon if Philip was actually dying?

Reactions: 11
Anyone who hates Prince Harry should watch his video with James Corden
I concur! (Assuming you liked it!?)

I just watched it and it was surprisingly good.
I read the headlines, a bit of the articles and the quotes and was "meh" on some things, "wtf" on others and agreed on some, but watching it, hearing it from him is a whole other thing.
I still call bs on the "crocodile" bit, maybe Archie said it as a first full, proper word (and more like "cocodile"), but still...

It was also quite funny and the "Harry's rapping with James C" was way overblown.

Reactions: 6
I concur! (Assuming you liked it!?)

I just watched it and it was surprisingly good.
I read the headlines, a bit of the articles and the quotes and was "meh" on some things, "wtf" on others and agreed on some, but watching it, hearing it from him is a whole other thing.
I still call bs on the "crocodile" bit, maybe Archie said it as a first full, proper word (and more like "cocodile"), but still...

It was also quite funny and the "Harry's rapping with James C" was way overblown.
I just watched it and actually really liked most of it. When I saw the headlines I thought it would be awful!

Does nobody think that James Corden took the piss a bit?

First he tells him to pay the fare, then he comes up with this tea trolley that later crashes into Harry (nice metaphor), then he shows him the house from the "Prince of Bel Air" and says: wouldn't it be funny, then you can say I am a Prince living in the Prince House.

😳😳😳😳

Oh I hope not, I'm wanting every single head of state in their national dress and everything! And the blingiest gold carriage with the golden cherubs and renaissance paintings on the side of it.
I think we can be sure Oprah won't be invited.

Ican answer the question about stamps, because weirdly, I just had ane experience regarding old ones.

Stamps are always valid, its just when the price of postage changes you have problems, because if the stamp has the old amount printed on it, you would have to add stamps to the envelope/package to make it up to the new price.

If a postage stamp has 1st or 2nd class printed on it but not a monetary amount, they never withdraw them and they can still be used even though the price has gone up.

I recently bought a second hand book via amazon and it came in brown paper with really old stamps on it - one was from the silver jubilee and had the Queen and Prince Philip's faces in profile on it.
Other stamps were added to it to make up the current postage costs.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
I didn't think Harry came across well in the Corden interview, I thought the entire thing was mawkish and a piss take. I expect we will see more of this type of thing which is disappointing. I really don't care about Harry, but his reasons for leaving were clear, privacy. This isn't that. I would have a lot more respect for him if he disappeared into obscurity.
I thought the interview was reminiscent of his great uncle Edward speaking about his love for Wallis.

Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.