The Royal Family #27

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't trust the public to vote on anything #BoatyMcBoatFace - they'd vote for something with Paddington that looks like it's from an etsy seller. No!

I wouldn't mind a side saddle horse statue on the 4th plinth (as they've been saying for the last 10 years), just do it in the same style as the others around there and don't use the artist that got Diana and Clare Balding mixed up 😬
😂 I’ll never be able to unsee Clare Balding now 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
I agree. Also some of the more recent portraits of the Queen have been a bit disappointing.
I think it’s art in modern times really - there was a statue of Wales’ first black headmistress and they basically came up with a massive floating head!

• Haha
Reactions: 6
In a book I once read it said when the courtiers are packing the royals suitcase they have to roll the socks up in a certain way so when the royal unrolls them they are unrolled in the right way.

Tbh my husband likes his socks rolled a certain way 😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Hopefully His Maj will put any statue shenanigans in the hands of his long-time architectural adviser and friend, Quinlan Terry. The man won't tolerate anything that isn't classical and beautiful and has exquisite taste. He's older than God but still working last I heard.

Reactions: 4
I agree. Charles should make it clear that he will be delighted if they became Republics, and say that they can go with his blessing. None of this nonsense about sending William and Kate over on a charm offensive only for them to have to backtrack after being publicly sacked halfway through the tour. I don't think Meghan would have done anything to keep them. As if centuries of colonialism would be erased by the Royals having one mixed race member!

It's a satirical magazine, but they usually publish things the press won't, and stories untainted by PR.
I was interested to note, in the 2008 Guardian piece on Camilla's golliwog doll keychain, the range of motion on the response of black Britons.
The one which said Camilla has no power or influence strikes me as the parallel of the argument made here that Markle has no power or influence. You could call it the we-are-already-a-republic argument.

Has Camilla caused offence? "She hasn't caused any offence to me," says the black writer and broadcaster Darcus Howe. "I may have giggled a bit about what a stupid thing to do but I can't think in my wildest dreams that a golly worn by a woman without any power or influence could get a response."

Those who argue Markle's allegations of racism did hurt the Jamaican people are politicians or lawyers already active in republican politics. I have been unable to find any political polls of Jamaicans' changed attitudes toward becoming a republic related to Markle's remarks. Which, it would seem to me, would be the more bona fide measure of the power and influence of Markle's comments on the racism of the RF.

Charles and William's recent references, in speeches elsewhere, to the "appalling" history of slave trade reportedly began in November 2018, in Ghana, whereas the H and M Oprah interview, in which Markle accused the RF of racism, was March, 2021.

Isn't it possible William and Kate's Caribbean tour was inspired by Meghan's accusation? And Charles' initial remarks in Ghana due to Meghan's influence?

The royals gain gravitas doing royal tours, which seems mainly to be their function, even if they're often seen as political campaigns against republicanism. Recalling the Queen's penitent visit to Amritsar, barefoot in her astonishing Buddha yellow dress, I think the moral authority which is the real power the royals still have, can be increased with these anti-slavery remarks. The Queen's laying a wreath at Amritsar and shaking hands with Martin McGuiness are again powerful mind- and game- changers, in my view. Markle is aiming directly at spoiling this power -- and the PM of Jamaica, for one, did not hesitate to lecture the then Cambridges given half a chance.
This, Markle did. Arguably she can keep doing it until Scotland and the rest of the UK also reject the monarchy. The Cut interview was a direct threat.
That Charles only began speaking (perhaps penitential short of paying out reparation) of the atrocity of slavery after the entry of the mixed race princess into the family seems significant to me.

Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 4.41.00 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Statue should be of her at her coronation, definitely NOT in her older age with a handbag or god forbid with Paddington.

I like to think they all watch The Windsors, The Royals etc and have a good giggle at them. Imagine KC watches a lot of Attenborough and Camilla loves the soaps.
:LOL: no no no I agree!!

I wonder if the commonwealth will remain or stop. What do you guys think?
I think it will fade slowly into the ether

Reactions: 1
Re Commonwealth. As a British person I never think about it. I feel no affinity to it. I am indifferent to it fading away. Anyone else feel strongly that there should be a commonwealth?

Reactions: 3
Re Commonwealth. As a British person I never think about it. I feel no affinity to it. I am indifferent to it fading away. Anyone else feel strongly that there should be a commonwealth?
What other possible trade agreement has the UK got?

I’ve lived in 3 commonwealth countries that have gained independence but still maintain links with the UK. It will be interesting what the next generation make it of the UK ties.

Camilla also ignored the media and kept her head down even though they hounded her. There was years of people slagging off Kate until Meghan came along but according to Meghan all Kate had to put up with was being called 'waity Katie' and nothing compared to what she had to put up with!
This is the info I have missing. When Meghan joined the Royal Family, I dont really remember it and don't recall news or headlines because I had a lot going on at the time so wasn't really focusing on it. I did watch the wedding.

What I never really understood was how Meghan acted so shocked about the Royal family were and I sort of think, well how did you not know what to expect from Royal life?! Did Harry not say how life would be?!

Definitely going to have a read of Harry's book when it's out

Reactions: 2
The Queen Mother’s favourite program was Midsomer Murders which she apparently used to watch with Princess Margaret. She also loved listening to The Archers.

Popbitch recently said that The Queen loved The Kumars at Number 42.

Princess Diana was a soap fan and used to get the BBC to send her tapes of Neighbours.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Harry's book will be something like

Ch 1: Mummy
Ch 2: Mummy Died AND I'M THE ONLY ONE WHO EXPERIENCED SUCH TRAUMA also I Hate Pops and Camilla
Ch 3: Kate's a witch and William's an Asshole
Ch 4: Meghan Saved Me and Reminded Me I'm not Racist Though I've Never Apologised For Calling People Slurs and Mocking POC
Ch 5: I Played Video Games In Afghanistan BUT I'M A HERO
Ch 6: Pops Left Me Broke THAT PRICK
Ch 7: Somebody Help I Need A Plumber In Montecito
Ch 8: Granddad And Grannie Were Racist And Mean To Me Too
Ch 9: Where's My Inheritance?
Ch 10: I Should Be King

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
I wouldnt mind the rich bit....;)
No point going old without the rich bit!

Isn't it possible William and Kate's Caribbean tour was inspired by Meghan's accusation?
If that was the case, did they not think dressing up as the Queen and Prince Philip from 1954 and waving to the natives was not a good look? I know they were asked to do it but they could have politely declined, and I doubt they told them to dress up like that, unless it was to deliberately embarrass them.

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.