The Royal Family #27

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How odd, that clip still makes my stomach sink.
What on earth is that about?

Reactions: 6
I think having a mixed race princess would have changed that entirely. I think having a mixed race princess who calls the royal family racist is the kind of thing that moves exiters into the majority on any referendum. It would be like having your own inside source on what it's really like.
nah, why would a mixed race princess somewhere in the fam change the wish of a country to get their own HoS? At this point the HOS is still as white as can be for decades to come? Making such a decision depending on race is pretty worrisome anyway. Either they want an elected person and one of their own citizens (which could be another monarchy as well) or just remove old colonial ties. All valid reasons. MM wouldn’t have been an inside source? She might visited once or twice at most, sinking down the line quickly with the Cambridgelings growing up. She is not even from one of those nations? Just because she is mixed race is not the saying she has anymore ties to the country or cares more about it? Are all black or mixed race people in one pot now? Sorry but if that’s a reason for or against the UK monarch the reasoning is weak.
But yes, the fact she accused them of active racism didn’t help but I don’t see how this will be a real tipping point- especially as many are already determined to drop them. We are not talking about quick referendums but elections for those politics that had been years in the making. Furthermore, many people (yes even black ones) don’t exactly believe her claims or have started to form reasonable doubts. And all in all the general reaction to this shocker was actually shockingly calm. They played a big card and nothing really came of it.
My personal opinion: I get why KC says he will be their HoS as long as they want him but honestly cutting them all loose would resolve this constant criticism asap. It might look ungrateful and unfair to the ones that wanted to keep him, but in the long run it looks much better if you give it up than waiting till they send you off. And it might cut off the drama about reparations rather than waiting for an anti-monarchy dynamic.

Reactions: 6
nah, why would a mixed race princess somewhere in the fam change the wish of a country to get their own HoS? At this point the HOS is still as white as can be for decades to come? Making such a decision depending on race is pretty worrisome anyway. Either they want an elected person and one of their own citizens (which could be another monarchy as well) or just remove old colonial ties. All valid reasons. MM wouldn’t have been an inside source? She might visited once or twice at most, sinking down the line quickly with the Cambridgelings growing up. She is not even from one of those nations? Just because she is mixed race is not the saying she has anymore ties to the country or cares more about it? Are all black or mixed race people in one pot now? Sorry but if that’s a reason for or against the UK monarch the reasoning is weak.
But yes, the fact she accused them of active racism didn’t help but I don’t see how this will be a real tipping point- especially as many are already determined to drop them. We are not talking about quick referendums but elections for those politics that had been years in the making. Many people don’t exactly believe her claims or have started to form reasonable doubts. And all in all the general reaction to this shocker was actually shockingly calm. They played a big card and nothing really cans of it.
My personal opinion: I get why KC says he will be their HoS as long as they want him but honestly cutting them all loose would resolve this constant criticism asap. It might look ungrateful and unfair to the ones that wanted to keep him, but in the long run it looks much better if you give it up than waiting till they send you off. And it might cut off the drama about reparations rather than waiting for an anti-monarchy dynamic.
I agree. Charles should make it clear that he will be delighted if they became Republics, and say that they can go with his blessing. None of this nonsense about sending William and Kate over on a charm offensive only for them to have to backtrack after being publicly sacked halfway through the tour. I don't think Meghan would have done anything to keep them. As if centuries of colonialism would be erased by the Royals having one mixed race member!

what is Private Eye? Is it a online forum.?
It's a satirical magazine, but they usually publish things the press won't, and stories untainted by PR.

Reactions: 7
To be fair aloof the stuff, especially in the DM, was of the nudge,nudge, wink, wink, say no more variety and the unmoderated comments were a cess pit
The Daily Mail is the mouthpiece of and online meeting point for a collection of extreme right wing ranters. It’s best ignored. They’re not representative of the nation as a whole. At least I hope not. 😱

Reactions: 8
I think the Queen was very passionate about the commonwealth and the rest of them probably not as much. I'd say they'd be happy to let them go - less places to visit - but I couldn't see Charles just giving them up out of respect for his mother.

Reactions: 3
But yes, the fact she accused them of active racism didn’t help but I don’t see how this will be a real tipping point- especially as many are already determined to drop them. We are not talking about quick referendums but elections for those politics that had been years in the making. Furthermore, many people (yes even black ones) don’t exactly believe her claims or have started to form reasonable doubts. And all in all the general reaction to this shocker was actually shockingly calm. They played a big card and nothing really came of it.
To characterize the discussion of reparations as drama is trivializing. This is a good overview of why the nations who were enslaved are asking for reparatory justice. https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/...r-britains-legacy-of-slavery-in-the-caribbean

Reactions: 4
I think the Queen was very passionate about the commonwealth and the rest of them probably not as much. I'd say they'd be happy to let them go - less places to visit - but I couldn't see Charles just giving them up out of respect for his mother.
The Commonwealth realms can get Republics and still part of the Commonwealth. What the point of the Commonwealth is is another question.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
The Commonwealth realms can get Republics and still part of the Commonwealth. What the point of the Commonwealth is is another question.
Oh I thought you had to have RF as head of state. Thanks for the info!
I think it would be better for the RF and the countries if they became republics fairly quickly. The latest tours of the Caribbean were cringe but they can't very well not go there when they are head of state.
The most compelling reason I can think of for remaining in the Commonwealth is the Commonwealth Games! Athletes do seem to value that.

Reactions: 5

Did you guys see this? They've mentioned ideas of placing her memorial on the 4th plinth in Trafalgar, and it received a good response in the HoC.

I personally like that idea, it feels fitting for our longest reigning monarch. Queen Victoria's memorial is really quite magnificent, I wonder how/if they'll be able to match or even outdo it. Something to reflect service...

Reactions: 8

Did you guys see this? They've mentioned ideas of placing her memorial on the 4th plinth in Trafalgar, and it received a good response in the HoC.

I personally like that idea, it feels fitting for our longest reigning monarch. Queen Victoria's memorial is really quite magnificent, I wonder how/if they'll be able to match or even outdo it. Something to reflect service...
I agree. She needs something bigger than Vicky!

Reactions: 9
The Daily Mail is the mouthpiece of and online meeting point for a collection of extreme right wing ranters. It’s best ignored. They’re not representative of the nation as a whole. At least I hope not. 😱
If the last 6 years have taught me anything at all, it’s that sometimes it’s best not to scratch the surface.

I would like it to be on the path to Horse Guards parade. So Royal processions which take that route go past regularly. I liked that about the statues of her mother and father.

Reactions: 10
Not sure if mentioned but it's worth remembering that the commonwealth has actually grown under the queen's reign with countries voluntarily joining. Its not purely linked to the former empire, some members have no links to previous british rule. Countries can also be independent republics and be member of the commonwealth

Its supports societal and economic development among its member nations and there are many stories of the good its done for people. Whether it's worth whatever time and financial costs are associated with it I don't know, but assume it must be for countries to still want to join in 2022

I hate this idea to be honest. She deserves more than just being put on the 4th plinth of an already established statue group. She should have her own statue, in its own designated location. Like queen Victoria and Albert do (but maybe not so big). It should be somewhere prominent and near Buckingham Palace or on that route down the mall to Parliament which she did so many times.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Yes @Mark81 I think I heard recently the two newest member countries of the Commonwealth were once French colonies?

For what it’s worth, as a commonwealth citizen it’s something I’d want to remain a part of even if my country (Australia) became a Republic. It’s a community of nations I am proud to belong to.

This was probably to do with the massive crowds of photographers who followed Diana from her front door to her car. Yes there may have been lots of not very nice stories about Meghan but I haven’t seen any footage of a similar clamour of photographers chasing Meghan down the street.
Doesn’t mean they don’t exist just because I haven’t seen them!
Witchelling here but I think a lot of that was Harry trying to do a preemptive strike.

it pays to remember that he and William had lived through a lot of the press chasing of Diana, and been with her for some it it. Also, Charles had had at least 2 girlfriends turn down a proposal, William (if I remember rightly) had been turned down by someone else during one of his breaks from Kate and Harry had also had proposals refused because none of the women concerned could countenance living in that kind of goldfish bowl.

I think he knew the kind of reporting he was likely to get and was trying to stop it before it got out of hand.

which went well.

Witchelling here but I think a lot of that was Harry trying to do a preemptive strike.

it pays to remember that he and William had lived through a lot of the press chasing of Diana, and been with her for some it it. Also, Charles had had at least 2 girlfriends turn down a proposal, William (if I remember rightly) had been turned down by someone else during one of his breaks from Kate and Harry had also had proposals refused because none of the women concerned could countenance living in that kind of goldfish bowl.

I think he knew the kind of reporting he was likely to get and was trying to stop it before it got out of hand.

which went well.
So again, the boy (and girl) who cried wolf. This is my main struggle with them. They may well have had it really tough but their inconsistencies and exaggeration just mean I struggle to feel sympathy for them.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.