The Royal Family #19

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I do hope we don’t get celebrities heading to Buckingham Palace. We have already had Amanda Holden in her tight dress and high heels. If Cundy turns up I will lose my rag.
“I bought a stamp once, that means I’m connected to the Queen”

• Haha
Reactions: 8
i know charles has got to address the public and do all the constitutional things but i felt so bad for him having to do all this when his mum died yesterday. Surely in this day and age we can let people grieve before they come and placate us public and things can just wait a few days.
Duty calls when you are royal.

Reactions: 7
I know but in this day and age it shouldn't come before family. Nothing should. We promote flexible working and taking care of your mental health then we shove this poor man out to placate us the day after his mum dies. Doesn't sit right with me. Give him some space x

Reactions: 15
A friend of mine was bemoaning the fact that the racing has been cancelled today. "I don't think it's right. The Queen liked racing so it would be a fitting tribute". She's barely been dead 24 hours. The tribute is the cancellation itself.

As a side note, I know it's not to everyone's taste, but she is a huge, I would maybe even say irreplaceable loss for racing. I wonder what will happen to her horses - they were so beautifully bred and always well-named. Charles isn't interested. It will be sad not to see her colours on the track anymore. I still have a lovely letter which she sent to me as a child, after I wrote to her about her horses. I will have to dig it out to show my kids. Pic of last time I saw her at Ascot.
I’d like to think Anne or Zara who are both very into horse riding and racing will carry it on…

Reactions: 10
I know but in this day and age it shouldn't come before family. Nothing should. We promote flexible working and taking care of your mental health then we shove this poor man out to placate us the day after his mum dies. Doesn't sit right with me. Give him some space x
It's his job. Service comes before family or feelings. I know that sounds cold but this is the role he inherited.

Reactions: 14
I think he would want to do it. They have rehearsed this moment and knew what the protocol was. His mother would have expected him to do his duty as a sovereign. He is but a man, but one that is in a very different position to everybody else and it might even be a comfort to him to do this.

• Heart
Reactions: 27

(last one now I promise)
what song is that please?? edit to say well I found out the song but in that video its obviously a cover - I love that ones don't suppose anyone knows who that is?

and I agree its so sad he has to do all of this immediately after losing his mum. Ive never been a Charles fan but my god I feel for him so much and Camilla looks like she's going to burst into tears at any given moment, she really looked like she was struggling during the walkabout earlier.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Yes I like that.

Reactions: 4
They've now lost their father and mother within a short space of time. For anyone that's tough but to be in the spotlight a d for Charles having to start a new job, provide speeches etc immediately it must be extremely hard. I also feel for the grandchild and great grandchildren. I was an adult when I lost both grandparents in a much shorter period and you felt you hadn't finished grieving one when the other passed away.
I just remember Beatrice sobbing behind the song sheet. Feels very intrusive watching them grieving during the funeral. Unlike us who can do our grieving more privately. 😢

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
It's his job. Service comes before family or feelings. I know that sounds cold but this is the role he inherited.
Nothing should come before feelings and family IMHO. I know its his role and tradition and all that but now we know how unhealthy it is we should stop it. I know it won't and William will be doing the same in years to come but I don't like it x

Reactions: 1
Many many things remind me of songs, some of them more appropriate than others, but this reminds me of some of the John Tams lyrics to Over The Hills And Far Away¹

When duty calls me I must go
To stand and face another foe
But part of me will always stray
Over the hills and far away

If I should fall to rise no more
As many comrades did before
Then ask the pipes and drums to play
Over the hills and far away

¹Which were written for the TV adaptation of Sharpe, obviously.

Reactions: 3
It's crazy how things are moving so quickly, title, names changes, social media, etc. The staff who have worked so closely with the RF must be working so hard and feeling the pain of losing her

And there's me, who has seen the Queen once in person, couldn't do a days work today. Clued to the TV all day.
If you don’t mind sharing, where did you see the Queen? I’d love to hear stories from folks who have seen her in person or met her

Reactions: 2
Can’t stop wondering if the Cambridge children (if that’s what they’re still called??) will be at the funeral. I initially thought George and Charlotte would but now I’m not sure, remembering William and Harry’s feelings on how public their grief was at Diana’s funeral.
I know this isn’t the children’s mum, but all eyes will be on them.

Reactions: 8
I never met the Queen but sat near to her and the Duke of Edinburgh. She came to my school and sat through a special assembly. I was quite sanguine about it but I did look at her at one point and think, wow this is the lady on stamps and money! I remember her hat, it had dangly bits. I also remember the Duke perking up when our comely dance teacher did a dance for them in a leotard and tights. He suddenly paid closer attention!

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.