The Royal Family #16

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
To be honest, I reckon most country homes in this country are owned by those who have inherited it. So many aristocrats in this country who have inherited wealth. Spencer family is one off the top of my head. Where these aristocrat's ancestors got their money to begin with, who knows. I wonder if slave trade played a big part.
Most of the really old aristocracy built their wealth on land and farming … mainly sheep for wool … and keeping on the right side of the current/next Monarch.

Reactions: 2
Most of the really old aristocracy built their wealth on land and farming … mainly sheep for wool … and keeping on the right side of the current/next Monarch.
That land must have cost a bit to begin with. Any idea how they afforded it and what kind of background those land owners had before they bought it?

That land must have cost a bit to begin with. Any idea how they afforded it and what kind of background those land owners had before they bought it?
We’re talking centuries ago, when the population was way less than now and owing land probably just meant building a wattle and daub hut on it … and expanding out from there. The wealth of England was built on sheep and wool - that why the Speaker of the House of Commons sits on a woolsack.

The Duke of Westminster who is rated England’s wealthiest landowner got that way because in the late 1600’s an ancestor bought some swampy land and orchard that turned into Pimlico, Mayfair and the like.

Also, there’s the pleasing the Monarch aspect as well … keep in with the Crown and a confiscated property can be yours. This benefited many during the Tudor reformation when monastic sites were up for grabs.

Reactions: 9
As with everything, it's tribal, so someone was head of a tribe ( angles, saxons, celts etc) they fought other tribes ( I cant remember who it was who wanted to join England together) through marriage and battles. They owned land. They gave it to their loyal knights. Then other people fought them ( William I, Edward iv, Henry VII notably) gave the land to their knights who then passed it to their children and so on and on until now! And yes also as above- the Reformation made the Monarchy very, very rich, as they confiscated buildings and land which belonged to the Catholic Church, which itself was, and is very rich.

• Angry
Reactions: 4
We’re talking centuries ago, when the population was way less than now and owing land probably just meant building a wattle and daub hut on it … and expanding out from there. The wealth of England was built on sheep and wool - that why the Speaker of the House of Commons sits on a woolsack.

The Duke of Westminster who is rated England’s wealthiest landowner got that way because in the late 1600’s an ancestor bought some swampy land and orchard that turned into Pimlico, Mayfair and the like.

Also, there’s the pleasing the Monarch aspect as well … keep in with the Crown and a confiscated property can be yours. This benefited many during the Tudor reformation when monastic sites were up for grabs.
Fair enough, that is interesting. I didn't know that first paragraph. I feel a bit silly for not knowing those things about England being built on sheep and wool. It makes sense though. My ancestors dropped the ball there, wish they'd bought up some land lol.

I didn't know about the duke of Westminster. He's 31 and already a billionaire, wow. Yeah, just proves that family money and connections is super important and rampant in this country among the aristocracy.

Just seen this story:

We need his ilk in this country like we need a bullet in the head. These people are what's wrong in this country.

Last edited:
To be honest, I reckon most country homes in this country are owned by those who have inherited it. So many aristocrats in this country who have inherited wealth. Spencer family is one off the top of my head. Where these aristocrat's ancestors got their money to begin with, who knows. I wonder if slave trade played a big part.
In the Spencer family case it was the wool trade, which was centuries before the slave trade. Many others were granted lands by William the Conqueror or other medieval Kings. The first Duke of Marlborough of course was given Blenheim Palace for winning the battle of Blenheim.

If you subscribed to Country Life or glanced at the properties advertised by Savills you would also see plenty of grand country homes for sale on the open market

Fair enough, that is interesting. I didn't know that first paragraph. I feel a bit silly for not knowing those things about England being built on sheep and wool. It makes sense though. My ancestors dropped the ball there, wish they'd bought up some land lol.

I didn't know about the duke of Westminster. He's 31 and already a billionaire, wow. Yeah, just proves that family money and connections is super important and rampant in this country among the aristocracy.

Just seen this story:

We need his ilk in this country like we need a bullet in the head. These people are what's wrong in this country.
Actually 94% of those in the Sunday Times rich list now are self made

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Are they there to see Cameron Norris play?
Yes she just popped up on the tv at the Norrie game, sat talking to Tim Henman. Altho he’s on court one, I think she was on centre for the Djokovic match but moved when that finished!

Reactions: 3
Am i the only one who thinks its weird her family are there? Its a bit like your mum turning up to the office...
Nope. If someone in my family could get me into Wimbledon - particularly the posh hospitality bit - I would be all over it!!

Reactions: 10
Nope. If someone in my family could get me into Wimbledon - particularly the posh hospitality bit - I would be all over it!!
Ha i dont mind when they turn up on days when shes not there but her blowing them kisses is a tad overboard - i know we all take the piss but she is technically working at it....

Am i the only one who thinks its weird her family are there? Its a bit like your mum turning up to the office...
I think sporting events are fair game. If she was there when Kate was revealing a plaque at a hospital that would be more bringing her mum to work!

Reactions: 8
I think sporting events are fair game. If she was there when Kate was revealing a plaque at a hospital that would be more bringing her mum to work!
Is that because going to a sporting event isn't really like work at all?!!

Sometimes I really wonder what the duck my ancestors were doing back then that means I have to work now compared to people like his ancestors

• Haha
Was Kate def working? She often does Wimbledon in a personal capacity - often with Pippa?

Reactions: 1
Sometimes I really wonder what the duck my ancestors were doing back then that means I have to work now compared to people like his ancestors
Mine were looking after the sheep for someone else :confused:
nothing changes!

More that they sell tickets to an audience there which they don’t to charity events, but yes, it’s not a very taxing work event. 😂
My duties will involve going to every Paul Weller concert and every stage of the Tour de France in the seated area.
It will be tough, but I’ll be brave for The Country.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.