The Royal Family #16

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh do give over. He’s hardly undercover if his “secret” stint pretending to sell the Big Issue is splashed all over the front of the tabloids.
Royalists will excuse any amount of dodgy money in carrier bags, tax dodging and sex offenders to support a family of lazy, useless inbreds lording it over people who are considerably better than they are.
Hardly lording over us, we have a constitutional monarchy not an absolute monarchy. As of tonight Boris seems to be moving towards a Trump like coup to stay in office, a coup which nearly succeeded, if you lot had your way he would now be President Boris

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Hardly lording over us, we have a constitutional monarchy not an absolute monarchy. As of tonight Boris seems to be moving towards a Trump like coup to stay in office, a coup which nearly succeeded, if you lot had your way he would now be President Boris
Well he wouldn't because Head of State is a ceremonial post, and can't be got rid of, no matter how awful the incumbent is. Boris will be gone by tomorrow. And the Monarch can just sit by and watch this omnishambles. Maybe an elected Head of State may have been able to intervene.

Reactions: 7
Well he wouldn't because Head of State is a ceremonial post, and can't be got rid of, no matter how awful the incumbent is. Boris will be gone by tomorrow. And the Monarch can just sit by and watch this omnishambles. Maybe an elected Head of State may have been able to intervene.
No it isn't always, if we were a republic most likely we would have an elected powerful President like France and the US, like us also permanent members of the UN Security Council. Boris would then be the elected Head of State.

If he loses the confidence of Parliament however the monarch can dismiss him.
The ceremonial Irish or German Presidents have no more power than the British monarch but nobody has heard of them outside their nations and they bring in no royal wedding or jubilee or coronation revenue

Reactions: 1
No it isn't always, if we were a republic most likely we would have an elected powerful President like France and the US, like us also permanent members of the UN Security Council. Boris would then be the elected Head of State.

The ceremonial Irish or German Presidents have no more power than the British monarch but nobody has heard of them outside their nations and they bring in no royal wedding or jubilee or coronation revenue
Thee is no readon why Boris would be Head of State. That wouldn't work with our electoral system or Parliamentary system at all. We would mire than likely have a HoS like Ireland. They are elected and can be removed if they are incapable. There are plenty of occasions that bring in money in other countries. If we are relying on the occasional Royal Wedding to keep us going, we really are going down the toilet.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
He's still there though?

Thee is no readon why Boris would be Head of State. That wouldn't work with our electoral system or Parliamentary system at all. We would mire than likely have a HoS like Ireland. They are elected and can be removed if they are incapable. There are plenty of occasions that bring in money in other countries. If we are relying on the occasional Royal Wedding to keep us going, we really are going down the toilet.
They would adopt the Irish model. When I was very young my parents had the news on and someone was setentenced to death (then only permissable in certain murders) and the then president got it changed to life imprisonment. Ie they had the right to overrule the government if they felt it right. Although young only time I ever remember it happening. Queen should surely now be stepping in, it's gone crazy, and if not, what is her role (apart from cutting ribbons) exactly?

Please stop bleating on about coronations unless by chance you remember the most recent one.

As for weddings? Well the 'important' ones occur every 30 years or so.

Last edited:
Yes there is. In 2019 Boris would have comfortably beaten Corbyn in a UK presidential election.

No we would not have a President like Ireland either as they are a small nation not a permanent member of the UN Security Council, G7 and G20 like us, France and the USA, the latter 2 all of which have powerful elected Presidents like we would if we ended the monarchy.

The Irish President has no more power than our monarchs anyway, while having nowhere near the global name and brand recognition nor revenue brought in.

I thought the Big issue selling was a major fail - it felt so off.
Of course you would, as you are an ideological republican, I am an ideological diehard constitutional monarchist, I am never going to give in to you

Last edited:
  • Heart
Yes there is. In 2019 Boris would have comfortably beaten Corbyn in a UK presidential election.

No we would not have a President like Ireland either as they are a small nation not a permanent member of the UN Security Council, G7 and G20 like us, France and the USA, the latter 2 all of which have powerful elected Presidents like we would if we ended the monarchy.

The Irish President has no more power than our monarchs anyway, while having nowhere near the global name and brand recognition nor revenue brought in.

Of course you would, as you are an ideological republican
Surely the UK could decide for itself what kind of President it wants? Does the size of the country have anything to do with it? Germany has a president and they're a big country.
I think the RF do a good job representing Britain for the reasons you've mentioned but at the same time I like living in a country where anyone (in theory) could become President.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
He's still there though?

They would adopt the Irish model. When I was very young my parents had the news on and someone was setentenced to death (then only permissable in certain murders) and the then president got it changed to life imprisonment. Ie they had the right to overrule the government if they felt it right. Although young only time I ever remember it happening. Queen should surely now be stepping in, it's gone crazy, and if not, what is her role (apart from cutting ribbons) exactly?

Please stop bleating on about coronations unless by chance you remember the most recent one.

As for weddings? Well the 'important' ones occur every 30 years or so.
He won't be if the Tory party votes no confidence in him and he lacks the support of Parliament.

The Irish President has no power to make laws, declare war, raise tax etc anymore than our monarch does. He is also a complete nonentity outside Ireland, he does nothing to market it abroad as nobody has heard of him.

Of course you would, as you are an ideological republican

Germany is in the G7. (Sigh)

Reactions: 3
Surely the UK could decide for itself what kind of President it wants? Does the size of the country have anything to do with it? Germany has a president and they're a big country.
Germany is not a permanent member of the UN Security Council like we are. Name the German President too without googling? He is an ex politician non entity nobody has heard of outside Germany

Germany is in the G7. (Sigh)
Not a permanent member of the UN Security Council

Reactions: 2
He won't be of the Tory party votes no confidence in him and he lacks the support of Parliament.

The Irish President has no power to make laws, declare war etc anymore than our monarch does. He is also a complete nonentity outside Ireland, he does nothing to market it abroad as nobody has heard of him.
Calling anyone's HOS a nonentity is just embarrassing. Christ even your RF would be embarrased. But do keep it up. It'e entertaining

Reactions: 9
Germany is not a permanent member of the UN Security Council like we are. Name the German President too without googling? He is an ex politician non entity nobody has heard of outside Germany

Not a permanent member of the UN Security Council
Do you have to have a president like the US or France if you're in the UN security council? That doesn't sound right.

I can't name the German President. I was just pointing out that the size of the country doesn't dictate the type of President they have.

Reactions: 2
Calling anyone's HOS a nonentity is just embarrassing. Christ even your RF would be embarrased. But do keep it up. It'e entertaining
How many people outside Germany and Ireland can name their ceremonial President compared to our ceremonial Queen? Barely any

Do you have to have a president like the US or France if you're in the UN security council? That doesn't sound right.

I can't name the German President. I was just pointing out that the size of the country doesn't dictate the type of President they have.
You either have a globally recognised monarch like ours or an all powerful elected President like France or the US does to befit the status of a permanent UN Security Council power.

Germany is a bigger nation than us and you can't even name its head of state? Thanks for proving my point

How many people outside Germany and Ireland can name their ceremonial President compared to our ceremonial Queen? Barely any

You either have a globally recognised monarch like ours or an all powerful elected President like France or the US does to befit the status of a permanent UN Security Council power.

Germany is a bigger nation than us and you can't even name its head of state? Thanks for proving my point
I'm sorry but unless it's an actual UN rule then what you're claiming makes zero sense. It's for every nation to decide their own system of governance. As long as it's democratic the UN aren't going to have a problem.

Also, I never said the German or Irish presidents were well known. You said the UK couldn't have a president like Ireland because Ireland is a small country. I was just pointing out that size is irrelevant in deciding a system of government. I never even said that Britain should be a republic. I just find some of your statements illogical.

Reactions: 8
I'm sorry but unless it's an actual UN rule then what you're claiming makes zero sense. It's for every nation to decide their own system of governance. As long as it's democratic the UN aren't going to have a problem.

Also, I never said the German or Irish presidents were well known. You said the UK couldn't have a president like Ireland because Ireland is a small country. I was just pointing out that size is irrelevant in deciding a system of government. I never even said that Britain should be a republic. I just find some of your statements illogical.
You just proved that whether relatively large like Germany or small like Ireland a ceremonial President is normally a complete unknown outside that country most of the world has not heard of

You just proved that whether relatively large like Germany or small like Ireland a ceremonial President is normally a complete unknown outside that country most of the world has not heard of
I never said that wasn't the case in the first place!

Reactions: 3

Some
Apart from the same ceromonial Queen that visits them? Oh you card you!😅

Well, so what, really. The Head of State is meant to work for the country and be a host for those from abroad. If all we want is for the Head if State to be performing monkeys for tourists, then that's great. That's what we have. I think the whole argument is moot anyway as we won't get rid of them. There are far more important things constitutionally wrong with our system, ( much of it because of our culture of deference- the HoL, our obsession with dumb posh people telling us what is best for us) stems from us being a monarchy. They deserve to be criticised precisely because they are not held to account in any other way. The press is sycophantic in the extreme, Parliament rolls over and allows them to change laws to benefit them, the police allow them to do PR at vigils before arresting other people, and allows them to get away with not being investigated or being subpoenad as a witness in major court cases. Monarchists would just bend over and let them get away with everything they want.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.