The Royal Family #15

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
H&M are such crappy people that people overlook the Cambridges who are now saints, instead of just as spoilt with better PR because William is the heir. How many houses do they need? How much money will it cost when others cannot pay the bills? 'Private funds' still means taxpayer money, doesn't it? And why stay at Anmer when in 10 years he will most likely be king? They have no foresight. The only hard-working family members are Charles, Anne and Sophie.
No private funds do not mean taxpayers money. Even the Crown Estate which funds the Sovereign Grant is technically not taxpayers money. They also aren't staying at Anmer but moving to Windsor where they will stay when Charles becomes King and moves to Buckingham Palace with Camilla

Reactions: 1
I understood that W&K have always said when W is King they will stay at KP not BP. Charles also doesn’t want to move to BP he wants to stay at Clarence House and open BP up to the public all year.
I don’t have a problem with the Cambridges keeping Amner Hall as a Holiday home. It was a wedding gift, no different to the queen going to Balmoral. I can see Balmoral being opened as a museum once the queen has passed.

Reactions: 3
I understood that W&K have always said when W is King they will stay at KP not BP. Charles also doesn’t want to move to BP he wants to stay at Clarence House and open BP up to the public all year.
I don’t have a problem with the Cambridges keeping Amner Hall as a Holiday home. It was a wedding gift, no different to the queen going to Balmoral. I can see Balmoral being opened as a museum once the queen has passed.
Charles has made clear his official office will be at Buckingham Palace. That will be where he signs legislation and hosts foreign dignitaries and politicians and receptions even if he and Camilla still sleep at Clarence House and BP is open more often to the public.

As you suggest Charles also wants Balmoral to be a memorial museum to the Queen

Reactions: 2
Charles has made clear his official office will be at Buckingham Palace. That will be where he signs legislation and hosts foreign dignitaries and politicians and receptions even if he and Camilla still sleep at Clarence House and BP is open more often to the public.

As you suggest Charles also wants Balmoral to be a memorial museum to the Queen
I think that’s what BP will become, the ‘office’ so to speak but none of the family actually living there.

Reactions: 4
They also aren't staying at Anmer but moving to Windsor where they will stay when Charles becomes King and moves to Buckingham Palace with Camilla
It has been widely reported that they will maintain Anmer Hall as one of their residences and plan to use it frequently.

So that's 3 homes in all for a family of 5.

• Angry
Reactions: 10
It has been widely reported that they will maintain Anmer Hall as one of their residences and plan to use it frequently.

So that's 3 homes in all for a family of 5.
So what? Anmer Hall is part of the Sandringham Estate which is owned personally by the Queen rather than being part of the Crown Estate and was a wedding gift from the Queen to the Cambridges

Reactions: 11
I don’t think any of them could decide to drop BP. It’s the UK’s official residence for the HoS. They can very well limit the time they stay there. So it will probably become an office with apartment for most. All fair and well.

They do own lots of homes. They wouldn’t be the first nor the last rich family that does. I will say the Crown properties and estates are very interesting. Obviously if the monarchy gets abolished they would keep their private wealth and the money from the government would go to the new HoS. Those two things are easy. But the Crown estates? What would they be able to keep? Because they are massive money generators. A president can hardly claim the tax return of a duchy… that just doesn’t fit together. Would they be able to keep Lancaster? Or Cornwall? I wouldn’t put it past the law to be a real possibility. In any way - there will be no money going back to the people. Ever. Not if they keep the Windsors. Not if the UK becomes a republic.
So if they don’t use the tax money to live in 20 different homes for two weeks at a time every year I couldn’t care less.

The Duchy of Lancaster is separate from the Crown and held separately as a private Estate. Even if the monarchy were to be abolished, the ex-Monarch would still be Duke/Duchess of Lancaster.
Same with the Duchy of Cornwall … it’s a private estate.

Reactions: 4
I don’t think any of them could decide to drop BP. It’s the UK’s official residence for the HoS. They can very well limit the time they stay there. So it will probably become an office with apartment for most. All fair and well.

They do own lots of homes. They wouldn’t be the first nor the last rich family that does. I will say the Crown properties and estates are very interesting. Obviously if the monarchy gets abolished they would keep their private wealth and the money from the government would go to the new HoS. Those two things are easy. But the Crown estates? What would they be able to keep? Because they are massive money generators. A president can hardly claim the tax return of a duchy… that just doesn’t fit together. Would they be able to keep Lancaster? Or Cornwall? I wouldn’t put it past the law to be a real possibility. In any way - there will be no money going back to the people. Ever. Not if they keep the Windsors. Not if the UK becomes a republic.
So if they don’t use the tax money to live in 20 different homes for two weeks at a time every year I couldn’t care less.
The official Palace is still St James's Palace. Ambassadors are credited to the Court of St James. It's also where the new monarch is proclaimed in London.

BP will be the office block, apartment block for those royals without London residences (eg Princess Royal and the Wessexes), and official state apartments for state visits, investiture, and garden parties.

@Boring Monday snd @Blurb thanks for the information.
I do wonder though. Isn’t the Duchy of Lancaster specifically to provide for the monarch? So if she would abdicate it would move on together with the Crown? So if there would be no crown to carry what would happen? I wouldn’t be surprised if there wasn’t a plan for this possibility. Or will it indeed just work like all the other non-royal duchies? I find Lancaster extremely interesting because it seems there is much less information about it compared to Cornwall,where PC is very public about how it’s run and what Going on.

RE BP- I gathered BP is the official London residence since 1837, Windsor the official country residence and St, James the senior palace of the sovereign (whatever that means in comparison to London residence) and holds the royal court. But my sources was Wikipedia and the website of the RF?

Last edited:
So what? Anmer Hall is part of the Sandringham Estate which is owned personally by the Queen rather than being part of the Crown Estate and was a wedding gift from the Queen to the Cambridges
Why the testiness? I was simply responding to the (inaccurate) comment you made by providing clarification.

And since you asked 'so what?'...I agree it's a private residence in the Queen's remit to grant (where was that ever contested?) but 3 *large* homes for a family of 5 is excessive, which is the point I was trying to make. And it certainly isn't modest or humble as the press is painting it.

Reactions: 11
Why the testiness? I was simply responding to the (inaccurate) comment you made by providing clarification.

And since you asked 'so what?'...I agree it's a private residence in the Queen's remit to grant (where was that ever contested?) but 3 *large* homes for a family of 5 is excessive, which is the point I was trying to make. And it certainly isn't modest or humble as the press is painting it.
Charles and Camilla have four for the two of them, five if you count her own property of Ray Mill House, bought after her divorce and where she spends time with her children and grandchildren. There's Clarence House, Birkhall, Highgrove, and Llwynywermod in Llandovery. All except Clarence House are privately owned, Birkhall being on the Balmoral Estate and Llwynywermod is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall, though as a three-bedroom former coach house and farmhouse it's not a grand mansion and one could argue that the Prince of Wales should have a Welsh residence!

Reactions: 7
No private funds do not mean taxpayers money. Even the Crown Estate which funds the Sovereign Grant is technically not taxpayers money. They also aren't staying at Anmer but moving to Windsor where they will stay when Charles becomes King and moves to Buckingham Palace with Camilla
They are keeping Anmer, KP Apt 1A, Adelaide, and they have a space in Scotland too. It is a giant waste of money. I get they are seen as saints and perfect people who can do no wrong comparatively to the Sussexes but they really should think about the optics here and how spoilt they are.

They booted out the previous tenant of Anmer because they wanted it and wanted it now - they did the same with HRP and Apt 1A.

Reactions: 12

Firstly, it wasn't inaccurate as their main residence will be in Windsor with an apartment in Kensington Palace even if they still use Anmer Hall as a holiday home.

Given Anmer Hall was a personal wedding gift from the Queen to the Cambridges on her private estate it would also be rude to give it up.

Charles and Camilla have four for the two of them, five if you count her own property of Ray Mill House, bought after her divorce and where she spends time with her children and grandchildren. There's Clarence House, Birkhall, Highgrove, and Llwynywermod in Llandovery. All except Clarence House are privately owned, Birkhall being on the Balmoral Estate and Llwynywermod is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall, though as a three-bedroom former coach house and farmhouse it's not a grand mansion and one could argue that the Prince of Wales should have a Welsh residence!
Indeed but what they do with their private residences and however many private residences they own is entirely their own affair

They are keeping Anmer, KP Apt 1A, Adelaide, and they have a space in Scotland too. It is a giant waste of money. I get they are seen as saints and perfect people who can do no wrong comparatively to the Sussexes but they really should think about the optics here and how spoilt they are.

They booted out the previous tenant of Anmer because they wanted it and wanted it now - they did the same with HRP and Apt 1A.
I think people know the press are continually promoting a contrast. No-one is a saint.

Does anyone actually live at BP though?

@Boring Monday snd @Blurb thanks for the information.
I do wonder though. Isn’t the Duchy of Lancaster specifically to provide for the monarch? So if she would abdicate it would move on together with the Crown? So if there would be no crown to carry what would happen? I wouldn’t be surprised if there wasn’t a plan for this possibility. Or will it indeed just work like all the other non-royal duchies? I find Lancaster extremely interesting because it seems there is much less information about it compared to Cornwall,where PC is very public about how it’s run and what Going on.

RE BP- I gathered BP is the official London residence since 1837, Windsor the official country residence and St, James the senior palace of the sovereign (whatever that means in comparison to London residence) and holds the royal court. But my sources was Wikipedia and the website of the RF?
As I understand it, although the Duke of Lancaster is the Monarch … it’s a completely separate inheritance and administered by the Duchy Council and not the Crown Estates. I think the holder ’only’ gets the net income for the year (which I think The Queen started to pay tax on in the late 80’s/early 90’s even though it’s technically exempt). If the Queen abdicated, them the profits would go to the new Monarch, in the same way the Cornwall one would pass down.

if the Monarchy were to be abolished then technically it should pass to the next in line for succession of the Duke of Lancaster regardless - although our old friend Oliver Cromwell took possession, leaving Charles II temporarily Duchy-less, and flogged a lot of it off during his Protectorship.

I think people know the press are continually promoting a contrast. No-one is a saint.

Does anyone actually live at BP though?
Staff are the only ones to live in on a permanent basis, I think.

Reactions: 2

This seems pretty funny if true, Harry seems the kinda guy who would be raging reading this and Mike’s the type to not care

I know it became a Megxit thing to say, but Harry really does look bloody miserable in those photos

Homeboy Mike really has some Harry and Meghan exposing the RF vibes going on lately

I don’t know about this, it could just be a term of endearment in the right context. Seems like the papers just trying to make trouble

When are the Royals and their PR going to realise that the biggest selling point of them is the mystique. Take that away and they are just a load of entitled, warring, backbiting reality TV contestants with better jewels. If I want to hear someone call a relative by marriage names, I’ll go to my own cousin who has a great line in sweary rants and more than one target … at least I’ll get a drink out of it.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.