The Royal Family #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Why does anyone buy any souvenir or have a collection of anything?
To commemorate somewhere they’ve been, something they’ve done or somewhere they’ve experienced.

Sue from Cleethorpes or Denise from Stoke-on-Trent aren’t going anywhere near Buck House so I’m not sure why they need a tea towel to remember the jubilee!

Reactions: 1
To commemorate somewhere they’ve been, something they’ve done or somewhere they’ve experienced.

Sue from Cleethorpes or Denise from Stoke-on-Trent aren’t going anywhere near Buck House so I’m not sure why they need a tea towel to remember the jubilee!
But we’re all living through this moment in time?

Reactions: 4
I lived through 9/11, the saga about that woman who put a cat in a bin and Kim Woodburn’s stint in the Big Brother house.

I don’t have commemorative mugs for any of those either.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I lived through 9/11, the saga about that woman who put a cat in a bin and Kim Woodburn’s stint in the Big Brother house.

I don’t have commemorative mugs for any of those either.
……..all sound like they’d be ideal
Collectibles too…….

……..I’m only speaking for myself - I don’t see the attraction either but if people are interested in memorabilia then live and let live…….the reason we’re all on this thread is we have some interest in the royal family - whether it be for positive or negative reasons?

Not to piss on anyone’s parade but I have no idea why anybody would buy jubilee memorabilia.

The silver jubilee plates etc that people have on display are always used as shorthand for “this person is a bit old-fashioned lives in the past” in TV dramas or reality shows. I just find the whole thing a little bit… tacky? Sycophantic?

Why do you need it? You are commemorating a) a bank holiday and b) a party to which you weren’t invited. With crockery.

I just don’t get why you would buy a tatty Tesco mug just because it has “Queen’s Jubilee” cheaply printed on the side of it. Like something they hand out for free after you’ve run a half-marathon. Doesn’t it look really out of place with the rest of your stuff?
Because it gives me pleasure. :)

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Melvin insists that it’s fine to cheat. Buy a jar of lemon curd, a box of Italian biscuits and a tub of ready-made custard, she urges nervous cooks. To do this, however, would render the whole exercise pointless, wouldn’t it? You might as well buy a Colin the Caterpillar cake from M&S and have done with it.” - Lots of people ‘cheat’ when they are baking, but that doesn’t mean that home baking is pointless and you should just buy shop bought. I think some people are being a bit mean spirited about Jemma Melvin, the Daily Mail comments were poking fun at her weight which isn’t nice at all.
I remember Mary Berry saying during a Bake Off episode with the contestants making filo pastry that she never made filo pastry herself as life was too short, she just bought it 😁.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I ended up getting my Jubilee jigsaw cos of people showing their Jubilee purchases on here. 😄😄.
Have been doing it all day and getting my mindfulness quota in whilst doing it! Am really enjoying this peaceful interlude even though I have a long list of things I should be doing. 😲😄
I also realize it will spark questions from young children in the family wanting to know about this Queen they never knew, so I suppose that is the point of these souvenirs. To mark a point in history and spark the interest of the younger generation.
I was always fascinated by my grandparents stuff.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Not to piss on anyone’s parade but I have no idea why anybody would buy jubilee memorabilia.

The silver jubilee plates etc that people have on display are always used as shorthand for “this person is a bit old-fashioned lives in the past” in TV dramas or reality shows. I just find the whole thing a little bit… tacky? Sycophantic?

Why do you need it? You are commemorating a) a bank holiday and b) a party to which you weren’t invited. With crockery.

I just don’t get why you would buy a tatty Tesco mug just because it has “Queen’s Jubilee” cheaply printed on the side of it. Like something they hand out for free after you’ve run a half-marathon. Doesn’t it look really out of place with the rest of your stuff?
From my own personal view usually I would agree but I am also a fan of history and this is a historical moment. There won’t be another U.K. Queen that is on the throne for this length ever again, not least in our lifetimes. So if people want to buy something to mark the occasion, to me it makes sense.
Again this is personal to me but the majority of people I know are using this occasion to have a party, have fun, meet family and friends that they haven’t been able to due to Covid and working. I think using this opportunity to enjoy yourself is a big reason people I know are getting into it. Making a fancy jubilee trifle or having a go at the original coronation chicken is all part of the fun of it and it’s something we won’t have again. I’ve really enjoyed looking up recipes with my Mum and deciding what we are going to do with the wider family etc. Plus there are going to be lots of outfits and at least three of them are going to be dreadful so there’s that 😂 Maybe I should create a Jubilee bingo…

• Heart
I do genuinely have a buck palace uniform from 1920 or thereso. It's a bit moth eaten but still alive.

Might dig it out for Jubilee!

Reactions: 3

There's only been 4 platinum jubilees.. ever! This is the first one in Britain. I don't see the problem in someone commemorating this by spending a few pounds on a mug.

Reactions: 10
Thank you for being so considerate to ask! No allergies here :)

1652837965430.png

Not a good look for Edward.
Why is this made to be a thing about race? Even if the person was White, Asian or Arab, the person has to respect royal protocol and keep some distance and as per Covid rules, 6 feet apart. It's not always about race.

Am I the only one who noticed the writer misspelled Tom Parker Bowles (Camilla's son) as 'Tom Parker Bowels.' You can notice it towards the end.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
I'm surprised that nobody around her was wearing a mask. No one. Nobody thought to wear masks around a 96 year old woman. I mean fair enough she's had covid, but seems like an obvious health and safety protocol considering we are still in covid times.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Wow, that would be fantastic to see - I’m surprised that it hasn’t been snapped up by a museum!

That’s quite rude, why did he do that?
I've never thought it might be of value/interest, it was my great grandfather's.

It's packed away at present but I'll see if I can get hold of it

Reactions: 1
I know that but it annoys me when people assume that if you're critical of Harry and Meghan you're automatically a huge monarchist or an Andrew fan. People complain about people all day every day for all sorts of things - what difference does it make if someone else has done something worse than the person you're complaining about. If you want to vent, you want to vent!!
It's more the press as well, so if people can't wear their fake dress up military uniforms, it's to save Harry's blushes, but Andrew can't wear his either, for more serious offences.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.