The Frugality/Alexandra Stedman #7 Everything is affordable when it's #gifted

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
But then everything Alex does smacks of virtue signalling to me - this is the woman who buys her kids presents from charity shops (which is fine) and then tells us that staying at the Hoxton is frugal. Who charges a tenner for a box of matches and thinks wrapping £1 candle sticks in ribbon is a nice present. Who asks us to "buy her a coffee" in repayment for all the "great" free content she provides and then spends her days visiting museums and watching boxsets (but only if she can get away with not paying a subscription fee). This is a woman who lives in an £800k house and doesn't actually have a job but if we cut down on sourdough and buy handwash from Lidl we can have that too. It's all utter bollocks.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Alex never shows her visits to charity shops other than to show presents bought for kids as obviously they don’t do paid partnerships, but it’s a shame as it feels like it ticks the frugal and sustainable options for shopping.
She’s neither frugal nor sustainable!
---
She's always promoted cheap tit clothes (I know I've ranted up thread about this so I won't repeat myself) and I think she's even more of a twit for doing that.
The issue isn’t their price, but awful materials and unsustainable practice of producing them. But I understand you’re using cheap as indicator of quality.

Reactions: 5
She’s neither frugal nor sustainable!
---
The issue isn’t their price, but awful materials and unsustainable practice of producing them. But I understand you’re using cheap as indicator of quality.
Yes spot on - and cheap (new) clothes are usually cheap because of the materials used to make them.

Reactions: 6
Ive recently (yes, I know- late to the party) become a fan of charity shops, Vinted and eBay. Charity shops especially seem to have upped their game in recent years with how they display stuff and yesterday I got 100% cashmere jumper from White Company for £40. plus my money is going to charity. Alex never shows her visits to charity shops other than to show presents bought for kids as obviously they don’t do paid partnerships, but it’s a shame as it feels like it ticks the frugal and sustainable options for shopping.
That’s because charity shops don’t send her clothes for free

Reactions: 7
Alex is one of those people who feels entitled to piles and piles of cheap stuff because she likes it and she likes the novelty of shopping constantly and the dopamine hit. She doesn’t want to change her habits for the better and will find every excuse under the sun to justify it. Even if it wasn’t her livelihood she would be the same. It’s not like she has to pick and choose - she has the luxurious options as well. And as an influencer shes encouraging this behaviour in her audiences. How many jumpers does she own? Of course an item can be seven years old if it’s one of 40 similar items you own so it’s barely getting worn? The concept of owning clothes for a long time does not exist in a vacuum, it all goes hand in hand with owning fewer items, taking care of what you have, and being more deliberate when acquiring more. This is at odds with influencing so influencers will always be looking to find chinks in the armour to get us on the over-consumption bandwagon like they are - which then provides them with a lucrative income 🤑

If anyone is looking for an antidote to Alex’s endless consumption masquerading as fashion content, I have been enjoying amysmilovic. She oozes her personal style and is able to break it all down. Her main thing is finding your style & moving away from a wardrobe divided into items for work/home/going out - have fewer items in a united wardrobe that always work hard. In a lot of ways she is living & breathing (& sharing) what Alex is faking. The last few times I’ve been tempted to buy impulsively, I’ve watched a couple of Amy’s TikTok’s and it’s given me pause for thought. (Still a privileged thin white woman aesthetic which should not go unacknowledged.)

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Alex is one of those people who feels entitled to piles and piles of cheap stuff because she likes it and she likes the novelty of shopping constantly and the dopamine hit. She doesn’t want to change her habits for the better and will find every excuse under the sun to justify it. Even if it wasn’t her livelihood she would be the same. It’s not like she has to pick and choose - she has the luxurious options as well. And as an influencer shes encouraging this behaviour in her audiences. How many jumpers does she own? Of course an item can be seven years old if it’s one of 40 similar items you own so it’s barely getting worn? The concept of owning clothes for a long time does not exist in a vacuum, it all goes hand in hand with owning fewer items, taking care of what you have, and being more deliberate when acquiring more. This is at odds with influencing so influencers will always be looking to find chinks in the armour to get us on the over-consumption bandwagon like they are - which then provides them with a lucrative income 🤑

If anyone is looking for an antidote to Alex’s endless consumption masquerading as fashion content, I have been enjoying amysmilovic. She oozes her personal style and is able to break it all down. Her main thing is finding your style & moving away from a wardrobe divided into items for work/home/going out - have fewer items in a united wardrobe that always work hard. In a lot of ways she is living & breathing (& sharing) what Alex is faking. The last few times I’ve been tempted to buy impulsively, I’ve watched a couple of Amy’s TikTok’s and it’s given me pause for thought. (Still a privileged thin white woman aesthetic which should not go unacknowledged.)
Is that the founder of Tibi you’re talking about?

Reactions: 1
More fantastic content! Return of the one inch paintbrush.

Better than watching paint dry… Oh.

• Haha
Those gazelles already working hard….Alex wouldn’t know the meaning of working hard if it slapped her in the face.
isn’t she just doing what everyone does when they get new trainers and wear them with everything 😂

• Haha
It’s another 100 mile an hour day chez Frugality: there’s been a visit to Arket, an attempt to try on a dress in H&M, a reel made in H&M Home and then a quick change into flats for a dinner this evening. Poor lamb must be bleeping exhausted.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Hello!! Came across these threads yesterday and spent a few hours reading them all.
I’ve been following Alex for years and used to think she had some vaguely interesting content. Started to get a bit 🙄 when she kept going on about how hard it is juggling young kids with work when from what I could tell, her ‘work’ was putting matches into boxes. Noticed some dubious financial advice that seemed weird coming from someone who styles themselves as ‘frugal’. Finally realised she was an absolute muppet when she posted a recent receipt of a £57(ish) food shop and when I looked at the receipt it didn’t seem to make a single decent meal. So here I am!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
Hello!! Came across these threads yesterday and spent a few hours reading them all.
I’ve been following Alex for years and used to think she had some vaguely interesting content. Started to get a bit 🙄 when she kept going on about how hard it is juggling young kids with work when from what I could tell, her ‘work’ was putting matches into boxes. Noticed some dubious financial advice that seemed weird coming from someone who styles themselves as ‘frugal’. Finally realised she was an absolute muppet when she posted a recent receipt of a £57(ish) food shop and when I looked at the receipt it didn’t seem to make a single decent meal. So here I am!
Welcome!!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Welcome ninny - there’s been some comparisons drawn to Jack Monroe in the past that you’ll probably enjoy. Whilst Alex doesn’t pulverise every meal in a nutribullet she does have a penchant for bagels and tinned meatballs so there’s still some slop adjacent culinary horrors for you to enjoy ❤

Did anyone else see Africa (@thevitamindproject)’s stories last night? She put a non ad pic up but because the buggy was a freebie she explained this across two stories slides and marked the grid post as an AD and explained in there. It’s really not hard if you’re not a trash human being willingly deceiving is it Alex 😘

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I will say in defence of Alex, that I have seen her mention quite a few recipe books but none of them have been Jack Monroe’s 🤭

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.