The Frugality/Alexandra Stedman #7 Everything is affordable when it's #gifted

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That photo of her at the boot fair in the newspaper is seriously old - she looks like a lollipop head! Much healthier now.

Why didn’t she say where the trainers were from in the outfit story? Is it because they’re £100+ new balances?

Oh god, her latest reel. I know she’s trying to be funny/relatable but how godawful is that weird hood thing?
2584A610-818B-438D-AB8B-4E03CE1723CE.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 4
There’s man repeller fashion and then there’s properly given up. That snood/bonnet is just hideous.

Reactions: 3
The way it’s squashed around her face makes her look like she has jowls 😭

edit: and multiple chins!

• Haha
It’s not funny or relatable to look so awful and haggard when she does nothing all day and just eats a terrible diet and lounges watching TV. I can relate to women who look tired/messy (who cares) but work hard and make the best of themselves and their good health and life choices, but she is just so unlikeable now

• Heart
Reactions: 5
It’s not funny or relatable to look so awful and haggard when she does nothing all day and just eats a terrible diet and lounges watching TV. I can relate to women who look tired/messy (who cares) but work hard and make the best of themselves and their good health and life choices, but she is just so unlikeable now
It’s funny isn’t it once you see it you can’t not see the whole thing as just absolutely grim and bleak. I’d love free money ngl but you couldn’t pay me to eat tinned meatballs and manage a portfolio of fake email addresses 🤭

It reminds me of those wasters who never made it through first year cos they kept bizarre schedules and would stay up all night to watch the tennis or boxing + never handed in seminar work or left their rooms. Never had any bedding on and never paid anyone back either lol. Only +10 years on these two are dodging turning up to their actual adult lives instead of just a degree 😬

Reactions: 11
Oh god, her latest reel. I know she’s trying to be funny/relatable but how godawful is that weird hood thing?
View attachment 1890074
My overriding question is why? Why would you wear this? And why would you take a picture of yourself and post it? Everyone has their casual/comfy days but there’s no need to go around looking like a frog.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Apologies if anyone likes them - I think those nylon Uniqlo bags are so fugly. So sad and droopy. They literally drag every outfit down. They are the epitome of fast fashion as well - cheap, available in an array of colours and look just destined for landfill.

Ugh the repeat painting for content has started up.

At least with Katherine Oremond (sp?) once she's completed a room she doesn't seem desperate to repaint every frame / colour in the grout/ buy multiple baskets all in the name of content.

Wouldn't surprise me if they went down the buying a holiday let in Whitstable to fanny about with/ store their freebie excess furniture.

Apologies if anyone likes them - I think those nylon Uniqlo bags are so fugly. So sad and droopy. They literally drag every outfit down. They are the epitome of fast fashion as well - cheap, available in an array of colours and look just destined for landfill.
Hardly more destined for landfill than anything else if you don’t make considered purchase! While I understand you may see them as low quality, I’ve had the older, slightly smaller version in three colours for about 5-6 years now and intend to wear them for at least as much longer. They are very practical for cycling and travel, and kept their shape and colour all these years.

Unlike many influencers that dispose of clothes more often than they wash their hair, I don’t do it, so just because an item comes with a lower price tag it does not make it more destined for quick disposal. Unfortunately way too many items even with higher price tag or seemingly better quality end up in landfill too soon. I understand that the assumption is if someone buys fast fashion that they must do it every season, but trust me, it’s possible to purchase fast fashion for a long run and with much more environmentally friendly attitude than overhauling on “sustainable fashion brands” every season.

Reactions: 8
Hardly more destined for landfill than anything else if you don’t make considered purchase! While I understand you may see them as low quality, I’ve had the older, slightly smaller version in three colours for about 5-6 years now and intend to wear them for at least as much longer. They are very practical for cycling and travel, and kept their shape and colour all these years.

Unlike many influencers that dispose of clothes more often than they wash their hair, I don’t do it, so just because an item comes with a lower price tag it does not make it more destined for quick disposal. Unfortunately way too many items even with higher price tag or seemingly better quality end up in landfill too soon. I understand that the assumption is if someone buys fast fashion that they must do it every season, but trust me, it’s possible to purchase fast fashion for a long run and with much more environmentally friendly attitude than overhauling on “sustainable fashion brands” every season.
Couldn't agree more but sadly many people are still of the "oh it didn't cost much so I'll wear it a few times and then chuck it" mindset. I have educated intelligent friends who do this all the time. Unfortunately lots of people aren't like you and I and buy fast fashion because it's a cheap quick fix. I'd love to know percentages on how quickly and how much fast fashion ends up in landfill. Or maybe I wouldn't as it makes me genuinely quite sad. Anyway, I digress, just wanted to post about it as it's such a bugbear of mine.

Oh sorry I shouldn’t have made such a blanket statement. You are right fast fashion can be long lasting, much loved purchases. And many ppl buy higher priced/luxury goods with a disposable mindset.

“just because an item comes with a lower price tag it does not make it more destined for quick disposal”

On this I respectfully disagree, I think if something is lower cost it’s more likely (granted not necessarily) to be disposed of rather than resold for example because the resale value means the juice is not worth the squeeze. And the lower the initial purchase price the more likely (again not necessarily) it is to be bought with less consideration.

Hopefully one thing we can agree on is that regardless of price point Alex does not practise nor encourage considered consumption, even within the scope of influencing. And probably not doing the bag any favours tbf

Attachments

• Heart
Couldn't agree more but sadly many people are still of the "oh it didn't cost much so I'll wear it a few times and then chuck it" mindset. I have educated intelligent friends who do this all the time. Unfortunately lots of people aren't like you and I and buy fast fashion because it's a cheap quick fix. I'd love to know percentages on how quickly and how much fast fashion ends up in landfill. Or maybe I wouldn't as it makes me genuinely quite sad. Anyway, I digress, just wanted to post about it as it's such a bugbear of mine.
Absolutely agree! Coming from an economically unstable country shopping to have fun was not the norm and we were happy when able to afford to replace the only pair of shoes we had and was literally falling apart. Moving to the UK was a huge shock when I realised the extent of mindless consumerism. I guess I do get a little triggered when someone equates cheap with disposable/destined ti landfill and hate perpetuating the myth that a higher price tag always equates environmentally conscious choices.

Side note somewhat off topic but I love the book My name is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout. There’s a short paragraph not particularly relevant to the story but I always remember it. The main character remembers her teacher telling her to avoid using the word cheap to signify qualities of things or people’s looks. I’m not sure if it’s because of my background but that really stuck with me.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.