The Frugality/Alexandra Stedman #7 Everything is affordable when it's #gifted

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
. I guess I do get a little triggered when someone equates cheap with disposable/destined ti landfill and hate perpetuating the myth that a higher price tag always equates environmentally conscious choices.
This is definitely a thingTM and there’s a lot of classism dressed up as environmental concern happening. And surprise surprise big bizTM wins from this narrative! Like low waged people and tbh working class/ppl from less capitalistic consumeristic communities have made garments last for YEARS and never purchased the sheer volume that those with greater disposable incomes can, yet are now being cruelly burdened with shame for shopping in Primark etc when that’s all that is easily accessible to them - whilst those disposable income and influencer huns trade up from excessively buying 70+ items a year from Primark/ASOS/Shein/whatever to excessively buying 35 items a year from Arket/madewell/wherever else has greenwashed their proposition well enough yet will pay out aff fees or do partnerships. The “good players” can then raise their prices and people pay more because expensive = better for the planet, right? And on top of that have moronic influencers make positive enviro claims that the brand couldn’t because of the literal law, such claims that could never pass the HIGHLY rigorous clearance process for tv advertising that the ASA impose whilst they remain total ghost town about influencers with reach > most tv shows nowadays making any old claim to these audiences!

Fundamentally we all know what needs doing - make items last longer, repair things, buy less volume, buy second hand if you must buy something, prioritise natural fibres where possible, etc etc but there’s not money to be made in that messaging so we just see dumb and tbh v alienating messaging flogged by hypocritical hyper consumers on Insta.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
This is definitely a thingTM and there’s a lot of classism dressed up as environmental concern happening. And surprise surprise big bizTM wins from this narrative! Like low waged people and tbh working class/ppl from less capitalistic consumeristic communities have made garments last for YEARS and never purchased the sheer volume that those with greater disposable incomes can, yet are now being cruelly burdened with shame for shopping in Primark etc when that’s all that is easily accessible to them - whilst those disposable income and influencer huns trade up from excessively buying 70+ items a year from Primark/ASOS/Shein/whatever to excessively buying 35 items a year from Arket/madewell/wherever else has greenwashed their proposition well enough yet will pay out aff fees or do partnerships. The “good players” can then raise their prices and people pay more because expensive = better for the planet, right? And on top of that have moronic influencers make positive enviro claims that the brand couldn’t because of the literal law, such claims that could never pass the HIGHLY rigorous clearance process for tv advertising that the ASA impose whilst they remain total ghost town about influencers with reach > most tv shows nowadays making any old claim to these audiences!

Fundamentally we all know what needs doing - make items last longer, repair things, buy less volume, buy second hand if you must buy something, prioritise natural fibres where possible, etc etc but there’s not money to be made in that messaging so we just see dumb and tbh v alienating messaging flogged by hypocritical hyper consumers on Insta.

Clap clap clap!!! Nailed it

Reactions: 3
So my colleague came into work today and I spied they have a new Waitrose Anya bag, same design but larger. Wonder how long it will be for Alex to get her grubby mitts on it to complete the collection.

Also I find it super interesting that she gets gifted these bags but has made it very clear Anya is very expensive in the past and saved up to one bag heavily discounted at Bicester I think it was. She only ever pops to her shops due to press or for the gram and gets the cheapest thing. Influencer culture is so weird.

Reactions: 5
Regarding low cost clothes, I have lots of high street items I’ve had for years. However when I buy second hand (which I do regularly) I will often buy more ‘expensive’ brands as their price second hand is no more than new high street. So I think more expensive brands are much more likely to be sold on and last longer in that sense. There is a big charity shop near me and so much of it is Shein!

Reactions: 3
Burnt out? 🤣🤣🤣 From her busy schedule of multi-tasking and Netflix? What planet is she on!
Imagine us darling! With full time jobs (actual jobs) and juggling children, deadlines etc…
Also she should stop eating slop constantly and have some fresh veggies and fruit

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
And Reformer Pilates, that most frugal form of exercise!
Tell me about it. I am 100% bougie and do actually have a session each week due to a dodgy back but my husband and I have actual full time jobs and I don’t spend hundreds every month in Tiger & TK Maxx.

I’m surprised she paid for it and didn’t do a free trial class. She hasn’t mentioned where so you know she did actually pay for it, she wouldn’t namecheck for free 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Isn’t drawing people attention back to the Ad about the curtains, by talking about the same product that’s not an ad still basically an ad ?? 🤪

• Haha
  • Heart
I have a feeling that she may be struggling with mental health issues, such lack of motivation and productivity, looking so disinterested even in her own children while binge watching countless tv shows just really reminds me of how I felt after multiple losses. I know it’s been a while for her and she’s had a healthy pregnancy since then but it’s possible she has some unresolved trauma.

I have a feeling that she may be struggling with mental health issues, such lack of motivation and productivity, looking so disinterested even in her own children while binge watching countless tv shows just really reminds me of how I felt after multiple losses. I know it’s been a while for her and she’s had a healthy pregnancy since then but it’s possible she has some unresolved trauma.
Or she really is such a slob! 😆

• Haha
That’s a very generous interpretation. Personally I think she really believes she is hard done by. If she was depressed surely she’d be self-aware enough to realise this won’t look normal to her followers? So I think it is normal for her.

Reactions: 11
Also is that post in a changing room? Sooooo burnt out shopping... I'd love a child free shopping trip to try on some clothes/grab a coffee by myself.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Haha you all beat me to it on Pilates! She'll be doing a 3 classes for £30 type offer that I'm seeing at my local studio. It's soooo expensive normally.

Reactions: 1
From what we see, I don't think she's depressed. I think she's lazy.

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.