The Frugality/Alexandra Stedman #6 Secret Tory, who hates the BBC, easy to be Frugal when everything is free.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The odd box thing just makes it worse.. how did they include it in last week’s meals which were still around £40? And they batch cooked too?! So many lies. But not enough people challenging her on the grid.
She deletes any challenges because she’s a lying bastard.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
The odd box thing just makes it worse.. how did they include it in last week’s meals which were still around £40? And they batch cooked too?! So many lies. But not enough people challenging her on the grid.
If you question or challenge she deletes or hides (looks to you like it's there but others can't see it) your comments...... 🤷‍♀️

• Angry
Reactions: 4
She's having a nightmare at the moment - this and the don't pay your TV license post. Luckily she has the glasses representation to fall back on 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I guess she should be worried because with this cost of living crisis coming, people aren’t going to take kindly to “frugal” advice given by a wealthy 40 year old woman living in north London who doesn’t actually have a job (ditto for her husband). Or maybe not because her parents would probably just bail them out if their “jobs” went tits up.

I think a lot of ‘influencers’ should be really worried about their futures, people do not have the money anymore to be spending on frivolous items (such as matches 😂), me and my husband won’t be buying each other Xmas gifts this year as we’d prefer to save up for something we need it just save the cash as we really don’t need anything. More important our kids are fed and warm

Reactions: 5
Alex is obviously in bed as this corker is still up! 😂
Amazing! So good that people are copping on to this farce. I’ve no issue with the whole meal planning, promoting more mindful living, looking for money saving hacks kinda thing but a) she doesn’t follow it herself because enter stage left, an abundance of Tiger Tat, micro sheds and free meals and b) despite her brand claiming to the contrary, SHE’S NOT POOR!

Reactions: 11
I found this thread after @heretoreaditall2019 mentioned it on the Jack Monroe one. I’d already been WTFing at the performative week’s meals.

Here’s another one of those middle class Insta halfwits pretending to be poor and trying to jump on the cost of living/budget bandwagon. No way are they spending £40 a week on food. I’ll look out for the receipts - should make interesting reading (if they ever materialise).

Grrrr! How much are those bloody matches again….?!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I really liked Alex's insta 8 years ago or whenever - pre kids, spend less here and buy maybe one or two nicer things and mix and match with high street (when she had a personal style!).

But she's not moved on with her thinking and this no longer works for her lifestyle / age. It is not aspiration to be eating (and meal planning!) cheap sandwiches when you're nearly 40 with kids.

Also frugality isn't it. Sustainability is! And Alex doesn't give a tit about sustainability and fills her house with tat and clothes (this is 'old' etc etc). I mean her kids share a bedroom so she can have an additional room to fill with rubbish.

Suspect part of thought process of bringing out the gift guides early is to get those affiliate clicks in quicker.

Her account annoys me so much!

Signed a person with a real job and a more expensive weekly shop 😭

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I really liked Alex's insta 8 years ago or whenever - pre kids, spend less here and buy maybe one or two nicer things and mix and match with high street (when she had a personal style!).

But she's not moved on with her thinking and this no longer works for her lifestyle / age. It is not aspiration to be eating (and meal planning!) cheap sandwiches when you're nearly 40 with kids.

Also frugality isn't it. Sustainability is! And Alex doesn't give a tit about sustainability and fills her house with tat and clothes (this is 'old' etc etc). I mean her kids share a bedroom so she can have an additional room to fill with rubbish.

Suspect part of thought process of bringing out the gift guides early is to get those affiliate clicks in quicker.

I started following her years ago for similar reasons. Don’t think she knows who her audience is now. 😕

Reactions: 5

Tattle being v annoying and won’t let me quote ur para on sustainability but 🤌🏻 100%!

Watched the Shein documentary last night and they mention the anti influencers who are popping up as the resistance to the consumerism pushed on us. I follow a few (and have done for a while not just an evening lol) and I love their feeds cos they’re not just campaigners but they show such a lovely soft and slow life - like really lovely meals and coffees prepped at home, 48 hours offline on the weekends, day trips to places of natural beauty, selling their car to get an electric bike, books they’re reading, parts of their actual jobs because they don’t just rely on aff link revenues, like genuinely interesting stuff you’d think oh I’ll have to give it a go! Like that level of contentment and living ur life is aspirational and inspiring, not eternally chasing the next purchase in your weekends looking round coal drops yet again because you have such ravaging status anxiety because you didn’t marry as well as your private school chums.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Another one who irritates me on this front is Katherine Ormerod. Now I’m not putting her in the same category as Alex at all - her content is far superior and she’s super stylish. She also clearly has a brain and a proper job BUT she is also always pleading poverty and the whole ‘we can’t find anywhere to live’ saga really grated on me. She is incredibly privileged, has a partner who works, 2 children in child care/school, another property, parents with money, access to high end products and many freebie events and chooses to live in a really expensive part of London. I’d love to live where she does but, plot twist, I can’t afford it, many people can’t - are we all whinging about it and asking why the universe won’t give us a 3 bed Victorian house in Chiswick? I’m not knocking her for highlighting the problems with the rental market in London (I think it’s great she did that) but she doesn’t have it bad by any stretch. I found the moaning and ‘poor me’ routine in bad taste esp when the country is on its arse.

Sorry for derail, KO doesn’t have a thread.

Tattle being v annoying and won’t let me quote ur para on sustainability but 🤌🏻 100%!

Watched the Shein documentary last night and they mention the anti influencers who are popping up as the resistance to the consumerism pushed on us. I follow a few (and have done for a while not just an evening lol) and I love their feeds cos they’re not just campaigners but they show such a lovely soft and slow life - like really lovely meals and coffees prepped at home, 48 hours offline on the weekends, day trips to places of natural beauty, selling their car to get an electric bike, books they’re reading, parts of their actual jobs because they don’t just rely on aff link revenues, like genuinely interesting stuff you’d think oh I’ll have to give it a go! Like that level of contentment and living ur life is aspirational and inspiring, not eternally chasing the next purchase in your weekends looking round coal drops yet again because you have such ravaging status anxiety because you didn’t marry as well as your private school chums.
Sounds good - any recs? I follow Andrea Ong (think thats her name) and she does reviews and informative reels on high street clothing and shops. Really interesting.

• Heart
Reactions: 6

Sounds great, could you recommend some?
Also, interesting in Shein documentary!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Another one who irritates me on this front is Katherine Ormerod. Now I’m not putting her in the same category as Alex at all - her content is far superior and she’s super stylish. She also clearly has a brain and a proper job BUT she is also always pleading poverty and the whole ‘we can’t find anywhere to live’ saga really grated on me. She is incredibly privileged, has a partner who works, 2 children in child care/school, another property, parents with money, access to high end products and many freebie events and chooses to live in a really expensive part of London. I’d love to live where she does but, plot twist, I can’t afford it, many people can’t - are we all whinging about it and asking why the universe won’t give us a 3 bed Victorian house in Chiswick? I’m not knocking her for highlighting the problems with the rental market in London (I think it’s great she did that) but she doesn’t have it bad by any stretch. I found the moaning and ‘poor me’ routine in bad taste esp when the country is on its arse.

Sorry for derail, KO doesn’t have a thread.

Sounds good - any recs? I follow Andrea Ong (think thats her name) and she does reviews and informative reels on high street clothing and shops. Really interesting.
Yes! I’ll pop it behind a cut as it’s not totally relevant. Also the Shein documentary is on ch4, it was okay. Hopefully it changes minds for hyper consumers.

So Venetia actually presented part of the doc, I’m not surprised as she does a lot of very well done and informative reels. I don’t feel like her content is the most inclusive cos she hasn’t (to my knowledge) ever spoken about accessibility of second hand options esp for rural/plus size

Tickover does content on visible repairs / general campaigning stuff, not the most active account wasn’t aware she even lived on a boat til reading her bio to get you this link

Sophie Benson is a journalist with amazing style but I get the impression she’s newer to this whole sustainability journey so it’s cool to see how she’s making that work for her - she’s the one I mentioned who just sold her car and has an electric bike

Unconsumerist - not a person just shares interesting / semi viral content on these issues

“A podcast that loves clothes but hates capitalism”

There’s obvs lots more, but once you follow a few you’ll see them recommend other accounts or have convos and start following more ppl in that space. It’s like some sort of reprogramming therapy the same as Clare Seal’s account/book (did unfollow her when she got that sofa cos feel like she was verging on becoming a hun then but have since checked back and she seems to be ok again?)

Reactions: 3
So agree re Katherine Ormerod. The levels of privilege to plead poverty whilst living in an amazing part of London in gorgeous rentals is quite something. She also complains non stop when having to look after her kids and she goes out more times a week than I have a year as a parent!

• Heart
So agree re Katherine Ormerod. The levels of privilege to plead poverty whilst living in an amazing part of London in gorgeous rentals is quite something. She also complains non stop when having to look after her kids and she goes out more times a week than I have a year as a parent!
Yes. I often wonder why she had kids as she moans so much about looking after them. I do like her content though, her interiors style is fabulous.

Reactions: 4
Yes. I often wonder why she had kids as she moans so much about looking after them. I do like her content though, her interiors style is fabulous.
Never heard of her so just looked her Instagram up. Nice interiors but blimey she is soooo skinny. None of the clothes that hang well on her would look decent on a normal sized woman. Was she eating lettuce all pregnancy?

I think she’s deleting comments…..

Alex is stuck isn’t she. As others have said her content was good years ago, when she had an actual job and was in the thick of it in the magazine world. She had great style and pulled together some fabulous outfits. Now she’s all egg sandwiches, painting fences at snails pace, glasses and faux poverty. She’s be better giving up the Frugal angle once and for all and just owning her privilege

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.