The Frugality/Alexandra Stedman #10 No wonder she’s absolutely minted, she’s selling her freebies on Vinted

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Possible stupid question but I don’t understand every nuance of the Palestine/Israel situation. Is she being criticised because she has just referred to Palestinian people and casualties and not Israeli too?

Possible stupid question but I don’t understand every nuance of the Palestine/Israel situation. Is she being criticised because she has just referred to Palestinian people and casualties and not Israeli too?
I think that’s the main gist of it. Plus there were a few comments asking why she was calling for a ceasefire after one had been announced.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I think that’s the main gist of it. Plus there were a few comments asking why she was calling for a ceasefire after one had been announced.
Great thanks. Someone also asked why it had taken her so long to say anything and made the point that on or directly after 7 October she posted an ad for Dunelm.....

She’s posted again today about frames (pictures not glasses!), which makes me think she must use some sort of scheduling app like Hootsuite.

Hasn’t she just copied and pasted the same message a whole bunch of her ‘class’ of instgrammers re: Palestine tho? I’ve seen the exact same message from the Otto house, emmaJanePalin, etc - ‘with thanks to’ Medina Grillodesigns ‘for sharing’ (letting every white influencer copy whilst yet another woman of colour does the actual work… snore)

So yeah. I wouldn’t read anything into this very low level bit of performative nontivism

• Heart
Reactions: 9
She probably has, although perhaps the others posted before a ceasefire was announced. Alex posting a few hours after it is even more performative.

Reactions: 4
It’s not a ceasefire though it’s a pause so fair enough her calling for ceasefire. I’m appalled at the Zionists comments on her thread😭

Reactions: 6
Hasn’t she just copied and pasted the same message a whole bunch of her ‘class’ of instgrammers re: Palestine tho? I’ve seen the exact same message from the Otto house, emmaJanePalin, etc - ‘with thanks to’ Medina Grillodesigns ‘for sharing’ (letting every white influencer copy whilst yet another woman of colour does the actual work… snore)

So yeah. I wouldn’t read anything into this very low level bit of performative nontivism
I see your point and I largely agree but she could've more easily said nothing at all, or deleted it, or turned comments off after the backlash she got and the loss of followers.

I realise I'm setting the bar pretty low and she could and should, imo, do a lot more, but I think voices like hers are So important right now. The evidence is in her comment section. Medina and other Muslim and/or non-white influencers are somewhat preaching to the converted but Alex clearly is not.

Reactions: 4
The evidence is in her comment section. Medina and other Muslim and/or non-white influencers are somewhat preaching to the converted but Alex clearly is not.
Totally with you - although think this was my point - she’s not preaching to anyone. She waited for someone else to and did the absolute minimum - copy and pasted someone else’s thoughts, feelings, sentiment. Does she even think or feel these things? We literally won’t know. It hasn’t come from her. She’s just stuck her name against it. You only have to look at how she dresses and where she shops to understand the lack of independent thought Alex suffers

• Heart
Alex did write her own words on that post- the framework was ‘I’m not Palestinian but…’ so that’s why she credited Medina but her words were her own. Certainly not stanning her but wanted to clear that up.

Reactions: 1
Can we safely assume that she got the scarf because it has the distinctly ‘Anya’ face on but also is only a scarf, so cheaper than actually *shock horror* buying something with her own money?

Reactions: 2
The post she’s done about buying the one thing she didn’t particularly recommend from the anya uniqlo collection, kind of sums up how ridiculous influencers are in buying for the sake of buying. She wasn’t particularly fussed about the scarf in the preview but bought it presumably just so she could buy *something* from the collection. And then she’s queuing for god knows how long to buy more in store?

I’m still in the process of unlearning lots of bad habits re shopping, a lot of which were made worse by influencers constantly promoting the newest fashionable items. The worst of my shopping addiction was back in 2017 before influencers had to declare ads and before I knew what a swizz it all was - I have low self esteem especially regarding fashion and was constantly chasing dopamine rushes from new clothes. I still fall victim occasionally (was tempted by one of the jumpers in the anya collection - was actually relieved when it had sold out before I had chance to go on the website).

But it all seems so futile and can’t believe how much money I’ve spent on clothes over the years - these guys are promoting and fuelling irresponsible levels of consumption!

• Heart
Reactions: 18
The post she’s done about buying the one thing she didn’t particularly recommend from the anya uniqlo collection, kind of sums up how ridiculous influencers are in buying for the sake of buying. She wasn’t particularly fussed about the scarf in the preview but bought it presumably just so she could buy *something* from the collection. And then she’s queuing for god knows how long to buy more in store?

I’m still in the process of unlearning lots of bad habits re shopping, a lot of which were made worse by influencers constantly promoting the newest fashionable items. The worst of my shopping addiction was back in 2017 before influencers had to declare ads and before I knew what a swizz it all was - I have low self esteem especially regarding fashion and was constantly chasing dopamine rushes from new clothes. I still fall victim occasionally (was tempted by one of the jumpers in the anya collection - was actually relieved when it had sold out before I had chance to go on the website).

But it all seems so futile and can’t believe how much money I’ve spent on clothes over the years - these guys are promoting and fuelling irresponsible levels of consumption!
❤❤❤❤ to you and this post.

For anyone tempted by the Anya drop, please see below for a £3.50 dupe of the eyes you can iron onto anything.

Tiktok can be really good for unlearning the toxicity thrown at us - if you look at the masses of deinfluencing and financial coaching content on there it trains ur algo. I’ve learnt so much from TikTok despite being a signed up Martin Lewis girly for years now! Eg sinking funds have been a lovely way to accrue for luxuries and actually enable me to splurge more rather than feeling weird about taking money out of savings etc.

Reactions: 7
Anyone else feel a bit sad (!) for poor ol Alex slogging away at still pretending she’s a “stylist” whilst all the others get wined and dined at lavish Christmas bashes hosted by their management reps?!

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Anyone else feel a bit sad (!) for poor ol Alex slogging away at still pretending she’s a “stylist” whilst all the others get wined and dined at lavish Christmas bashes hosted by their management reps?!
I think she's too full of herself and also too cheap to let anyone else take a cut.....

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I’ve noticed a definite shift towards influencers hosting their own dinner parties for brands this year, which is hilarious. Really enjoying watching them work for their money and pretending that going to their work ‘friends’ house is fun. Absolutely brilliant.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.