The Frugality #4 I spy with my little eye a secret second storey reaching up to the sky.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ah frugal Alex, on her free holiday.

Also ?Presstrip? Press? Really? Hard hitting journalist is she?

Laughable

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Hopefully she’ll introduce the concept of glasses to Rome! Tattle’s own Angelina Jolie.

• Haha
This is another example of just utterly clueless she is and blind to her privilege.

Free trip to Rome, using her parents apartment in Spain. Her holidays are essentially free or heavily discounted.

She experiences things that most people who are genuinely forced to be frugal couldn’t even dream of experiencing.

So her self righteous, ‘look at me we try so hard and sacrifice so much by shopping in Lidl’ is meaningless.

Try shopping every week for food on a tiny budget, never having a holiday, no new free clothes or beauty products and live in rented accommodation paying a landlord’s mortgage for them!

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Also the Hoxton Hotel is not ‘affordable’ Premier Inn or Travelodge are affordable. 7-1500 euros for 3 nights is not a cheap stay, another 200 euros on top if you want brekkie

She’s also in the biggest room they do at a bargain 2000 euros for 3 nights with breakfast….soooo affordable

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
Free trip to Rome, using her parents apartment in Spain. Her holidays are essentially free or heavily discounted.
This and the rest of your comment is so, so true and why none of us should ever be #influenced. Women are entering IVAs at unprecedented rates and it’s because of tit like this - £2k hotels for a weekend city break being pitched as normal, being bombarded with constant “luxe” lifestyle imagery and inadequate disclaimers / explanations that they’ve not paid for it. Influencers performing frugality with tight meal plans so you think they’re in the same boat as us all trying to balance the books, all the while they’ve got a 30% LTV mortgage from mum and parents are saving for the kids and paying the school fees to boot.

Idk for ppl who actually have to pay for everything they have, who have kids and a mortgage, that £2k would probably go on things like saving for work done instead of holding your kitchen on a credit card balance??? 🤷🏻‍♀️ Just a thought

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Oh shut up you self righteous asshole Alex
She only travels less, because there’s been a pandemic and the freebie trips abroad dried up. Doors have literally just opened and she’s straight on that plane.
She needs to read the Greenpeace article of carbon offsetting….calling it a pointless exercise to make people feel better about travelling…she’s literally greenwashing her followers

• Heart
Reactions: 24
How does she offset her carbon footprint? Why not tell people how they can do similar?
Also what is the trip for?

How does she offset her carbon footprint? Why not tell people how they can do similar?
Also what is the trip for?
If I recall correctly, someone asked her that question a year or so ago and she told them to go do their own research!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
This and the rest of your comment is so, so true and why none of us should ever be #influenced. Women are entering IVAs at unprecedented rates and it’s because of tit like this - £2k hotels for a weekend city break being pitched as normal, being bombarded with constant “luxe” lifestyle imagery and inadequate disclaimers / explanations that they’ve not paid for it. Influencers performing frugality with tight meal plans so you think they’re in the same boat as us all trying to balance the books, all the while they’ve got a 30% LTV mortgage from mum and parents are saving for the kids and paying the school fees to boot.

Idk for ppl who actually have to pay for everything they have, who have kids and a mortgage, that £2k would probably go on things like saving for work done instead of holding your kitchen on a credit card balance??? 🤷🏻‍♀️ Just a thought
I have spoke about this before especially re Alex and the impact it’s having on women, in particular those who will identify with her who have 2 small children.
I will say it again as I hope it provides some kind reality.
That period of your life is hard. Your money goes on mortgage and childcare and despite being utterly frazzled there is no spare money for anything that feels like a treat. It’s pretty relentless.
I remember it well.
It gets better. But please don’t let influencers like Alex make you believe that you aren’t doing it right because you are not fannying about on mini breaks, buying Dipytque candles and 7 pairs of glasses.
She should be ashamed of what she’s part off. It’s certainly not a feminist movement

• Heart
Reactions: 28
I have spoke about this before especially re Alex and the impact it’s having on women, in particular those who will identify with her who have 2 small children.
That period of your life is hard. Your money goes on mortgage and childcare and despite being utterly frazzled there is no spare money for anything that feels like a treat. It’s pretty relentless.
I remember it well.
It gets better. But please don’t let influencers like Alex make you believe that you aren’t doing it right because you are not fannying about on mini breaks, buying Dipytque candles and 7 pairs of glasses.
She should be ashamed of what she’s part off. It’s certainly not a feminist movement

Relentless is the perfect way to describe those early years with small children. It’s why so many relationships crack during this time.

I remember some weeks, depending on my shifts, spending more on childcare than I earnt. The average family are budgeting hard, watching their savings dwindle and prioritising paying bills then activities/clothes/equipment for the children. It’s around this time that many mothers say they haven’t bought new clothes for five years and are still wearing their nursing bras.

There aren’t many cheeky getaways to Rome. #prbollocks or not.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
I remember it well.
Thank you for this! We have two small children and are in good jobs... and just this evening I looked at an airbnb someone had recommended (want to fanny about on a mini break!), £900 for 3 nights! We just don't have this kind of disposable income anymore!

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Thank you for this! We have two small children and are in good jobs... and just this evening I looked at an airbnb someone had recommended (want to fanny about on a mini break!), £900 for 3 nights! We just don't have this kind of disposable income anymore!
We’ve opted for a euro camp in France this year and we’ve had to save so hard for it, she lives on credit cards so I’m not jealous of her stupid lifestyle to keep up appearance

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.