The Frugality #4 I spy with my little eye a secret second storey reaching up to the sky.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have spoke about this before especially re Alex and the impact it’s having on women, in particular those who will identify with her who have 2 small children.
I will say it again as I hope it provides some kind reality.
That period of your life is hard. Your money goes on mortgage and childcare and despite being utterly frazzled there is no spare money for anything that feels like a treat. It’s pretty relentless.
I remember it well.
It gets better. But please don’t let influencers like Alex make you believe that you aren’t doing it right because you are not fannying about on mini breaks, buying Dipytque candles and 7 pairs of glasses.
She should be ashamed of what she’s part off. It’s certainly not a feminist movement
Coming at this from another angle and it feels crappy writing this considering the budget but..

As someone with a solid disposable income (eg could book this and go without dipping into savings) I can’t fathom who the audience for this content/hotel is? If you’re paying for all your own tit there is always going to be something that is more worthy than a “high end” weekend break in an Instagrammable hotel? Especially when there are more than adequate if not actually lovely alternatives for significantly less?

All my annual leave is spent facilitating family time for my daughter and for 2/3k you could get a huge cottage somewhere lovely in France or England for a week? Like how many mums of little ones would prioritise a girls weekend abroad over something like that with grandparents aunties etc?? I appreciate it’s a bit different when you don’t really work & your parents subsidise all your holidays tho 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 10
Coming at this from another angle and it feels crappy writing this considering the budget but..

As someone with a solid disposable income (eg could book this and go without dipping into savings) I can’t fathom who the audience for this content/hotel is? If you’re paying for all your own tit there is always going to be something that is more worthy than a “high end” weekend break in an Instagrammable hotel? Especially when there are more than adequate if not actually lovely alternatives for significantly less?

All my annual leave is spent facilitating family time for my daughter and for 2/3k you could get a huge cottage somewhere lovely in France or England for a week? Like how many mums of little ones would prioritise a girls weekend abroad over something like that with grandparents aunties etc?? I appreciate it’s a bit different when you don’t really work & your parents subsidise all your holidays tho 🤷🏻‍♀️
My closest group of friends and I save some money every month, allows us to have a weekend away somewhere, we are probably her target audience here and it would never cross our minds to spend that much on 3 nights hotel, especially since we’ll likely fall into bed drunk and shower in it and that’ll be about it 😂 do t get me wrong we could if we wanted to, we just choose not to, would rather have three breaks for the same price. It’s a logistical nightmare trying to organise something and find a date that suits everyone, we certainly don’t just head off at the drop of a hat, we’re already looking at 2023 as a realistic option 😂

Reactions: 4
My closest group of friends and I save some money every month, allows us to have a weekend away somewhere, we are probably her target audience here and it would never cross our minds to spend that much on 3 nights hotel, especially since we’ll likely fall into bed drunk and shower in it and that’ll be about it 😂 do t get me wrong we could if we wanted to, we just choose not to, would rather have three breaks for the same price. It’s a logistical nightmare trying to organise something and find a date that suits everyone, we certainly don’t just head off at the drop of a hat, we’re already looking at 2023 as a realistic option 😂
This is the thing, like especially in European cities you are truly spoilt for choice with hotels, airbnbs, etc. And it’s not as if you’re spending a lot of time in them? Like obviously there will always be a difference between a cheap hotel and a nice or fancy af one… but idk I struggle to believe that a hotel at that price point is worth it in that location. Imagine a lot of aspiring huns will just go to the bar or restaurant for the gram and duck off elsewhere for the night tbh. 😳

The mental thing about Instagram is you’ve got adult children passed from parent’s purse to brands’ expense accounts telling grown ups earning money what to do as if their opinion is remotely relevant? Like you can’t even open ur front room window beloved pls sort out your personal affairs first 🙏🏻

• Haha
Reactions: 15
“As a Mum with pretty much zero free time”…with one child in nursery and her husband at home with her both dictating their own working hours how does she have zero free time?!

Reactions: 17
I think Alex honestly feel that she doesn’t have any free time. She comes from a world of privilege and the idea of having to work/commute/juggle childcare/manage the house just doesn’t come into it

I work pretty long hours (roughly 55/week Mon-fri) but feel lucky as my husband and I stagger it so I can always take children to school and he can always collect them.
I have flexibility in that I can mostly stop working and do bedtimes and then carry on working once the children are in bed.
I genuinely feel lucky that despite my husband working long hours outside of the home (he does weekends too) and me working a mix of home/office/community we are able to make it work around our family and one of us always be available for our kids.

I often eye roll at Alex’s posts but this is all she’s ever known and to her it probably seems a lot

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Christ on a bike!😧. Since when has opening a bag of cheese and onion to accompany your quiche made it ‘gastro’. The mind boggles.
So out of touch. Next week she’ll be putting them in her sandwiches and calling it fine dining.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Still in holiday mode so going to the cafe for breakfast - but wasn't it a work trip 🙄?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Set a reminder in your diaries to check in on this new exciting tiling project, due to be completed 2025
This really shows their mindset. This reads like paying someone to landscape your garden is the norm. SMH 🤦🏻‍♀️ I don’t know anyone who has done this. It’s normal to do DIY in your garden, most people probably can’t afford to get the professionals in. But not for them!

Reactions: 6
This really shows their mindset. This reads like paying someone to landscape your garden is the norm. SMH 🤦🏻‍♀️ I don’t know anyone who has done this. It’s normal to do DIY in your garden, most people probably can’t afford to get the professionals in. But not for them!
She has to pretend that she has the means to keep up with Erica Davies the Joneses, doesn’t she? The only way that garden’s getting landscaped is if she manages to scam it as an #AD.

I also LOVE that she’s written ‘we took time off’ to go to the garden centre. Hi, Alex! 👋

• Haha
Reactions: 5
1. Holiday in Rome
2. Breakfast in the cafe
3. Garden Centre

also Alex - I'm sooooo busy, having a shower is luxury, here's my suitcase I haven't unpacked 2 weeks later

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Sweet baby cheesus no wonder she needs to get away from work, when work consists of googling photos of slebs in glasses... I was knackered just tapping forward through those stories, imagine having to MAKE them

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.