The Frugality #4 I spy with my little eye a secret second storey reaching up to the sky.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I call bullshit, as whenever she shows her egg sarnie based meal plan, there is at least one day where she has written OUT. I honestly think she rewrites stuff in her own head to convince herself she’s poor. When in fact she is just feeling hard done by compared to her perceived peers (privately educated former magazine stylists like Laura Fantacci, Sarah Tomczak and the girls from This is Mothership), who have husbands that actually go out to work and earn very well - as opposed to sitting around bumming off their wife’s insta page and laying 2 tiles a day.
Yep this is exactly it. I’ve never thought she was either actually or feigning to be poor (like Jack Monroe does) but it’s clear she can’t have the lifestyle she wants so is always making compromises or trying to do things on the cheap, or on credit. Which is wild to me as she’s been given so, so many legs up by her wealthy parents that they wouldn’t even need mad salaries to have a life where they can buy Aesop soap for every bathroom & maintain a few streaming service subscriptions.

Reactions: 10
Yep this is exactly it. I’ve never thought she was either actually or feigning to be poor (like Jack Monroe does) but it’s clear she can’t have the lifestyle she wants so is always making compromises or trying to do things on the cheap, or on credit. Which is wild to me as she’s been given so, so many legs up by her wealthy parents that they wouldn’t even need mad salaries to have a life where they can buy Aesop soap for every bathroom & maintain a few streaming service subscriptions.
To be fair her husband could well be suffering from depression or another illness who knows.
But if he isn’t that is really the crux of it. The only reason Alex feels “poor” is because neither of have them a steady income & illness aside that is a choice.

Reactions: 8
Why is she so weird??? It’s not that ridiculous? My king sized bed sheets were around £28 from TKmaxx and will last for 5-10 years…
1AD4414A-BF3E-4266-90D1-DA90F2A3353F.png

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Seriously I do not get this either! What she really means is she has to buy them from somewhere that fits in with her self created ‘image’ - everyone know the rest of the world pick up something from Tkmaxx, Sainos when you’re doing your food shop and notice them 30% off etc etc! Ffs even Amazon! I can almost get you might want to ask for a pricier one you may not buy for yourself for a gift if that’s your thing but for the rest you can get one in Asda for £6!!!!!!
Why is she so weird??? It’s not that ridiculous? My king sized bed sheets were around £28 from TKmaxx and will last for 5-10 years…
View attachment 1200821

Reactions: 7
I'm so confused. I recently moved home, and have had to go from a double to a king. I've kept my double duvet for now, and then bought sheets from Primark because I thought next time I move might not have a king size bed (renting). So....I'm not really sure what all this faux poor I can't afford sheets is about. The Primark brushed cotton and jersey sheets are cheap, excellent quality (I've had my previous double bed sets for 5 years now) so I'm not really sure what she's on about tbh. Just like this "oh I'm too poor to afford X chocolate". It's all cosplaying a poor person, and not actually what a frugal /working class life is like at all.

Reactions: 18
And actually, cutting back on the things we aren’t so fussed about to save or afford the things we want - even if they’re different to her choices (fair enough) is actually how the rest of us live anyway, surely that’s common sense??? It’s not ground breaking or even frugal, it’s just life 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 9
I'm so confused. I recently moved home, and have had to go from a double to a king. I've kept my double duvet for now, and then bought sheets from Primark because I thought next time I move might not have a king size bed (renting). So....I'm not really sure what all this faux poor I can't afford sheets is about. The Primark brushed cotton and jersey sheets are cheap, excellent quality (I've had my previous double bed sets for 5 years now) so I'm not really sure what she's on about tbh. Just like this "oh I'm too poor to afford X chocolate". It's all cosplaying a poor person, and not actually what a frugal /working class life is like at all.
Just to say about Primark, the bedding is terrific, are we not up to Alex’s level of bedding knowledge?

Reactions: 8
I think her understanding of 'frugal' just doesn't match how anyone else defines frugality.

To me, being 'frugal' would mean scouting around to find something for a really good price, maybe a surprisingly good quality Primark set of sheets or a great bedding brand in the TKMaxx clearance or on eBay..

In these difficult times there will be lots of people looking for advice and tips on true 'frugal' living as they try to manage their tight budgets. Alex's page will be of absolutely no use to them whatsoever. She's like the posh girl from the song 'Common People' who thinks that poor is cool.

Attachments

Reactions: 13
I unfollowed her months ago because the glasses stories were too much for even a rage follow but did they ever finish painting the fence?

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Yay more fence content incoming…..
She’s an idiot painting it all black, we’ve got a little black picket fence which I painted during the first lockdown and I have to brush and power wash it as it gets covered in green - and I’ll have to repaint it at some point as it looks crap! Luckily I have a big paint brush and will be able to do that in about an hour unlike these two muppets with their teeny tiny paint brushes 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Yeah but absolutely worth sending two kids to a London nursery so that they can paint the fence themselves for the next 3 months.
Imagine all the cash they save by not buying sourdough too 😂😂you couldn’t make it up

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.