The Frugality #4 I spy with my little eye a secret second storey reaching up to the sky.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She ‘finally’ got to the exhibition. Wasn’t it LITERALLY only yesterday that she planned to go?!

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Has an ill kid at home but she is still able to go on a jolly to Covent Garden and to an exhibition (a day late)? Oh yes, I remember, it counts as WORK, right? 🤯 And she has the nerve to moan about her work/life balance.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Such a brilliant review of the exhibition too! Content worth paying for I’d say.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I see the eye test was a “pr trial” or as the ASA would call it, an AD, Alex.

She’s giving the impression of someone with optical munchausens with her constant eye tests.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
The way Chris is peeling that onion explains why the outdoor tiles took him so long. 😐

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I see the eye test was a “pr trial” or as the ASA would call it, an AD, Alex.

She’s giving the impression of someone with optical munchausens with her constant eye tests.
I had a quick Google of the ad labelling thing the other day and you know, Im not so sure that "PR trials" and "gifts" are officially ads? The way I read it is that its only an ad if the company pays you and/OR dictates what or how you post about the product or the company moving forwards

I had a quick Google of the ad labelling thing the other day and you know, Im not so sure that "PR trials" and "gifts" are officially ads? The way I read it is that its only an ad if the company pays you and/OR dictates what or how you post about the product or the company moving forwards
Nope, any free product or service is considered payment and needs to be declared

Direct quote
"When a brand gives an influencer a payment, any posts then promoting or endorsing the brand or its products/services become subject to consumer protection law. Payment means any form of monetary payment; commission; a free loan of a product/service; a free product/service (whether requested or received out of the blue); or any other incentive."

• Heart
Reactions: 10
You are right that under ASA rules there needs to be payment (and a free product, free hospitality, free stay or free eye test all count as payment) plus some control by the brand. All brands want a positive mention not a genuine and possibly negative review, which I imagine could be construed as control.

The CMA appears to considers gifts as advertorials or endorsements and requires them to be marked as ‘advertisement feature’ or ‘advertisement promotion’.

If posts or stories contain the words #gifted, #PRproduct, #PRstay, #PRgift or the newly invented #PRtrial it’s a total turn off for both the influencer and brand.

I vote with my spending and increasingly with my follows.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Pr trial isn’t acceptable under the rules. She’s schlepped into London (rearranged it around a poorly baby) just to have an eye test she didn’t need, and then posted about it on her business page including details of their offer such as price points. Let’s see if any other freebies from the brand we hadn’t previously heard of appear in the not so distant future (or by the time they’ve put some lenses into frames for her)…..If you want to do more than a quick google there’s some really good detailed info out there. I’m sure Alex and Chris would have time to read it if she invested in some scales and he stopped stroking onions.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
Pr trial isn’t acceptable under the rules. She’s schlepped into London (rearranged it around a poorly baby) just to have an eye test she didn’t need, and then posted about it on her business page including details of their offer such as price points. Let’s see if any other freebies from the brand we hadn’t previously heard of appear in the not so distant future (or by the time they’ve put some lenses into frames for her)…..If you want to do more than a quick google there’s some really good detailed info out there. I’m sure Alex and Chris would have time to read it if she invested in some scales and he stopped stroking onions.
Stroking onions 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 9
A whole blog post about meal planning….dear lord
And a new office….these two must be raking it in to pay their 2 salaries, their staff and rental of an office as well as a mortgage, nursery fees for two etc….getting your eyes tested 20 times a year obviously pays more than we realise 🥴

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
And a new office….these two must be raking it in to pay their 2 salaries, their staff and rental of an office as well as a mortgage, nursery fees for two etc….getting your eyes tested 20 times a year obviously pays more than we realise 🥴
Influencers make SO much money.

Reactions: 3
Is there a reason why they change who has significant control of the company every year on companies house, so one year her, one year him then swap? Assume it’s some sort of tax fiddle 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Wow
The best thing is where they’re splitting her salary between two of them (and Ltd company directors can draw a lower salary and top up with dividends anyway) they’ll be eligible for all the help you get with nursery fees, so will likely be paying very little for that. Plus will likely be eligible for child benefit too, it’s a joke they plead frugality.

Reactions: 7
Is there a reason why they change who has significant control of the company every year on companies house, so one year her, one year him then swap? Assume it’s some sort of tax fiddle 🤷🏻‍♀️
How bizarre. I don’t really see what difference that would make as my understanding was that the requirement of the PCR register was more one of AML regulations akin to a UBO register, rather than anything tied to accounting/taxes.

Actually, thinking about it more (sorry for stream of consciousness) and practically (and without looking at the filings made to confirm this) changing control between them implies that they are transferring shares between them each year, so you might be right that it’s a tax fiddle. Seems a bit dodge- never seen that before…

I don’t know enough about accounts to work it out, must be for a good reason though. Also their company accounts are looking very empty…

Reactions: 3
I just had a quick look at the filings- I don’t think they have changed who has majority control between them. I looked at the filings for frugality ltd. When the company was incorporated Thame statement of capital says that Alex has 55% and Chris has 45%. None of the filings suggest that has ever changed, instead it looks like they’ve just been updating details of the PCR- change of service address in one instance for Chris for example, or correcting a filing that maybe wasn’t properly made in the first place (in the case of that for Alex).

No filings have been made in respect of new issues or allotments of shares, and confirmation statements with no updates have been made the last few years, so long story short, I don’t think there are any red flags.

I’m less au fait with accounts, but I wouldn’t say that they are exactly the most impressive.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.