The DisUnplugged #4 They tried to make Pete go to rehab, but he said I need my phone!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not to get the conversation out of sync but I am still in shock after reading a few pages back that Ruben moved out of Florida. I thought he was Mr. Clermont. I thought he couldn’t be torn from that town no matter what. I wonder why he left.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
What is Dustin’s handle so we can keep a look out for when he can post?

What is Dustin’s handle so we can keep a look out for when he can post?

He doesn’t have a handle. It was ‘jamboeveryone’ but it keeps getting banned anytime he tries to post
---
Jambo everyone! Dustin here. I've taken some time to deliberate whether or not to post here. I've read everything on these threads regarding the DIS. I'd absolutely love to contribute to the conversation. As Sean mentioned earlier, I'll not be contributiing to any conversation critiquing Corey, Craig, and especially Ryno as they are/were personal friends of mine. However I have no problem providing a little context.

My main goal is to help, not hurt. But sometimes, the truth hurts. I went through a lot in those years. Some of it was my own fault or my own naivete. Some of of it was not. I'd love to get the conversation started from my perspective. Thanks so much to Sean for showing strength in all of this. Without him, I'm not sure I'd have the same courage to speak. With that out of the way...

@DISbored said:

"Sean ask Dustin how does he feel that since he was the creative motivator behind the dis unplugged YouTube channels does he feel a certain way to see that all that work you put in has gone nowhere and that people like Craig are literally just living off what he implemented?"

Dustin responds:

As I said, I'll not contribute to critique of these fellas. I love Craig and Ryno. It's been a while since I've spoken with them but I truly only ever wish them the best.

I don't really follow the DISUnplugged youtube channel or the show for that matter. I'll listen every now and then out of curiosity (and to hear some voices that I miss.) You all will know better than me if the show feels like it's going downhill. What I will say is this. When I first moved to Orlando, I had a goal of getting a job at the DIS and really pushing their video presence online. Shortly thereafter Pete asked me if I thought it was viable to bring the show to video. I gave him a road map of how to do it, and do it on for a specific budget. I'd say after that first year or two, Craig took over the youtube. It became his baby.

When I left, he had a very difficult task of filling my shoes as producer overnight. In addition, I'm sure he had to deal with a very distraught Pete. I wish I could say I had more creative ownership over anything else on the youtube channels. But while I was there, I definitely took the show into a certain direction. When I left, they took it in a direction they felt they needed to.

So in short, No I don't feel a certain way. Do I miss it sometimes? Yes. I wish we could time travel and have certain moments captured for ever.

DISbored said:

"Asked Dustin and what he would have done differently if you were still there and running the show?"

Dustin responds:

I would've probably taken it down the "youtuber" route. "What's up guys?!? We're gonna breakdown this weeks Disney news." I don't think we live in a world of long form podcasts anymore. Having the one weekly show is good. You can keep that. But I think people like the short form daily updates. They were doing that with the Daily Fix. The biggest problem with that, however, is you had too many cooks in the kitchen.

You needed one person dedicated to that. Someone who could be the face of it (I think Ryno did quite well.) Someone who was good on screen, talented with cameras and editing, and someone who could be the face of the youtube channel. Unfortunately the way everything is structured. There's just too many personalities and styles to create a singular place for people to come too for their Disney content from someone they love and trust.

If I'm being honest, in a perfect world, Pete would be that singular person that people trust and love on camera. But he's too unreliable and impatient. He's got too many other things going on with the business (supposedly.) I can get into that more in detail later.

So to recap. I'd have dialed it in. There are too many topics and too many faces. You have to have a speciality with a face you recognize and trust.

DISbored said:

"Also, ask Dustin how the relationship between him and Pete came to be and subsequently came to an end it just seems to me Dustin was too good to get into such a hot mess like that…

Dustin responds:

THANKS for this question. I'm sure I wont hit all of it here. this is the meat and potatoes as the say. So what I'll do here (for my own benefit) is create a framework and a timeline to guide future questions.

In the summer of 2011 I graduated college and moved to Orlando and continued working at Disney. not a year, later I got the job at the DIS. I would say with in a matter of months, Pete pulled me aside for a very special conversation. He told me that he had feelings for me and asked me if it would be an issue to continue working for him. I intitially told him no. What else do you do? you landed your dream job and only a short time later this issue pops up. Again, I was 25 and in somewhat of a vulnerable state. Not an excuse, but defintely a reason.

We worked, I developed the new video show, we traveled, and eventually he talked to me again. He told me we were in a "emotional relationship." It's important to note that at every "major" moment like this I initially pushed back either internally or externally. We made arrangements for me to report only to Corey for a while as it became apprent that I couldn't give him what he wanted. That did not last long as "we were destined to work together."

After probably a year of traveling and working together, it became apparent that an emotional relationship was not enough for him. Again I can dive deep into a lot of these moments in time later, but right now I'm laying the ground work. Eventually I got to a place where I was acknowleging that we were in a relationship. It honestly just slowly happened (though there were some key moments.) I attribute a lot of it to myslef working directly out of his office in his garage. Originally this was meant to be a work from home job. but only a few months in I was working/being there full time everyday (no days off really.) I never lived with him but like clock work I would be there at 11:00am and leave around 3:00am. It was always a fight to leave. To convince him I was tired. To go home to my own apartment.

Basically things kept building up over the next few years. More and more travel. Less and less time to devote to myself. I felt like I became an extension of him. I can break down all of that too (therapy is a beautiful thing my friends.) It became too much. I lost my sense of self. I lost my friends. I was beginning to lose my family. Not out of shame. Eventually i was honest with everyone about this relationship . I wasn't hiding it anymore. I thought everyone would judge me because I was a man. Turns out, they were concerned for me because I was with him. with this one person who they coulsee had a very negative impact on my mental health.

I took all of that into consideration, and one day it just clicked. Sometime in the summer of 2015 I was no longer afraid of Pete. I was no longer afraid of losing my job. I knew I had my family at home to welcome me back in and to help nurse my wounds. I left.

Unfortunately I didn't have the luxury of concerning myself with who that would affect. For the first time in years, I was taking my life and my future into my own hands. And it had to be for me and only me.

I look forward to breaking down the incredible details of this short but whirlwind of a time in my life. If this hurts anyone who reads it, I'm truly sorry... It's not intentional. I will only tell the truth here. I'm assuming you can see that there's a lot to unpack here. We're only beginning.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 33
Thanks Dustin…wow I feel so bad for you and Sean now how you two were lured into this mess with the carrot of being Disney fans. Terrible. I can’t wait to read more truly fascinating

Reactions: 7
Wow...thanks Dustin for being willing to share your story! I think the next thread could just be taken up by your whole saga.
---
Dis Unplugged #5 Dustin Unplugged

Last edited:
Reactions: 17
Thanks Dustin. Also very intriguing to hear your still friends with Ryan. I’m sure you know, Pete’s staff isn’t allowed to be friends with people Pete doesn’t like or risk their jobs. In every other case I’m aware of, Ryan (and Steve) doesn’t have the backbone or morals to ignore Pete and has dropped whomever Pete told him he had too, or very very severely hid the friendship
---
Also maybe try a new account using a different email and post something significant with that from the start?

• Wow
Reactions: 5
Dustin thank you for sharing. I don’t doubt it’s difficult to share things so personal. It sounds like Pete used his power as your employer to coax you into a relationship you never even wanted from the beginning. Is that a correct understanding?

What boss tells his very young, new employee he has feelings for them and wants to know if that’s going to be a problem. Thats so wrong.

Reactions: 12
Rufio'sGhost said:

"Wow, that's awesome that y'all have been able to connect. I hope it's been helpful to both of you. I really am shocked to hear that Dustin may have had it worse than you. I guess one question that I have for Dustin is how much he sold those Star Wars theatrical posters for? The one's that Pete gave him as a gift? JK he doesn't have to answer that."

Dustin responds:

It has been incredibly insightful. I think after you go through something like this, having a "brother in arms" is so wildly validating. We spoke on the phone for hours! I mean all day. We were not hyping each other up either. We just couldn't believe how many things were so similar. It's been so incredible.

Also $150 a pop. I became real good friends with my local pawn shop guys. Sorry to say i was quite unemployed after I left for "greener pastures" and a "better opportunity that i can't pass up."

Rufio'sGhost said:

@The Mando I actually have a question for Dustin that I've been curious about for awhile. I'm curious about your answer as well. Do both of you still have a passion for Disney? Has Dustin visited Disney World since everything went down? Or did the experience with Pete ruin any of that?

I'm still violently in love with Disney Parks. Me and my wife went to Disneyland in Anaheim not too long ago. I'm hoping to plan an Orlando trip sometime soon. Of course it's expensive, but she's never been and I have to show her my true passion! My biggest worry would be running into Pete in the parks but I doubt that's likely.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Is there a moderator or someone supervising this thread that can help Dustin create an account? This is silly.

Reactions: 7
Is there a moderator or someone supervising this thread that can help Dustin create an account? This is silly.
It happened to me when I tried to join, that’s why I had to take over this account. There was a review thing done because they said if you’re an actual blogger or whatever you have to send proof and be verified or something but I never got a response back. I did post in another thread that goes right to the mods and they did reverse the ban but then put it back.

That said, I didn’t post here for forever because I forgot the password and this account isn’t mine so I couldn’t recover it for a long time. I tried making a whole new account but tattle said they weren’t accepting new members and I got locked out there lol - so it’s a mess. Maybe we should make a tattle page about tattle

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
Thanks Sean and Dustin! I loved and miss Dustin’s second hour of the Tuesday show:).
And I’m here for every ounce of tea:)

Reactions: 9
Rufio'sGhost said:

"I have another question for Dustin...did John and Kevin treat you pretty well? It always came across like they treated you as if you were lower than them (mainly Kevin, actually)."

Dustin responds:

They were among the nicest people I ever dealt with. I felt like John truly cared about me as an employee. Of course his hands were tied with certain things in regards to Pete. But I truly felt like he wanted me to have the opportunity to thrive in my dream job.

Kevin and I's relationship was always more like acquaintances. We saw each other occasionally at the show recordings. We joked and laughed. I never had anything negative to say abouth the two of them.

I remember one time they eventually invited us over to their house for a pool party. I had a blast!

I wish I could tell you more on that subject. John was always the voice of reason. He is a good person. I believe he and Kevin are perfect for each other and I wish I knew Kevin better. I miss them to be honest.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Rufio'sGhost said:

"I have another question for Dustin...did John and Kevin treat you pretty well? It always came across like they treated you as if you were lower than them (mainly Kevin, actually)."

Dustin responds:

They were among the nicest people I ever dealt with. I felt like John truly cared about me as an employee. Of course his hands were tied with certain things in regards to Pete. But I truly felt like he wanted me to have the opportunity to thrive in my dream job.

Kevin and I's relationship was always more like acquaintances. We saw each other occasionally at the show recordings. We joked and laughed. I never had anything negative to say abouth the two of them.

I remember one time they eventually invited us over to their house for a pool party. I had a blast!

I wish I could tell you more on that subject. John was always the voice of reason. He is a good person. I believe he and Kevin are perfect for each other and I wish I knew Kevin better. I miss them to be honest.
Pete sure puts John in a hard spot with his behavior. I have noticed it is John that worries about the legal stuff. Clearly Pete doesn't, given all the spilled tea from Sean and Dustin. I almost feel sorry for John being tied to such a toxic business partner. It's a wonder he didn't make himself scarce when all this was going on at DIS so he would have some plausible deniability.

Reactions: 8
Rufio'sGhost said:

Dustin responds:

Absolutely agree with this. John in much more subdued in real life. Kevin is exactly who he is on the show. John, Kevin and Craig are all genuine, kind people that dont let Petes lunacy affect how they treat others. True gentlemen.

Reactions: 9
So Oliver used Sean…scandalous and he straight up disappeared too
I'm both surprised and not terribly surprised. One thing I've noticed about influencers, vloggers, etc. in the Disney space and beyond is that there's a level of narcissism to a lot of them. I mean, think about it, these people make videos about their opinions on different topics and expects people to not only care what they think, but pay them a lot of money for it.

Obviously not all of them are like this; in fact, I know of a lot of channels that make videos as a fun side hobby more than anything. But there are definitely bad actors in this space, and certainly their misdeeds aren't limited to ebegging.

Reactions: 3
@The Mando Dustin… thank you so much for deciding to speak here. I’m mainly a lurker here but definitely miss your era of the DIS big time. I can’t believe how dark the story is…

I don’t really know how to ask a specific question, but I also had strange moments with discovering my sexuality around age 23 and 24 (im 26 now), involving men above me that I respected (I work in theatre), until I came to realize I had been manipulated and did indeed want to be with a woman.
Did you feel that Pete helped you discover say, a bisexuality? Or do you feel it was outright manipulation and not a representation of your preferences?

also obviously I want to ask all the gory details.. did he touch you without consent?

as these stories unfold it truly blows my mind that Pete hasn’t wound up in serious legal/criminal trouble. I almost feel like we are headed there soon?

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.