The DisUnplugged #4 They tried to make Pete go to rehab, but he said I need my phone!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
He did this once before. I can't remember when, 2010 or 2011 maybe, but he was done with the show. They went a few months rotating hosts and he was back.

John, Kevin, Theresa, Kathy, and Corey need to be on more often and the newer staff need to spend more time in the parks.

Reactions: 7
I also want to say, I think Ryno and others are confusing our lack of interest in Disney’s plight as
bigotry. Disney has not been great to the fan base, they underpay cast members, and they have unceremoniously fired long-term employees.

I just don’t get that excited about them being bullied by the governor. Is it wrong what the Governor is doing? Yes, but… I just I’m not going to come to Disney’s defense, their lawyers can. My feelings for Disney getting a little bit of karma doesn’t equate to my feelings about the gay community.

If they had listen to the fans Chapek wouldn’t have been CEO.

Reactions: 5
Despite my criticisms, I like Ryno and I like Julie, I even somewhat agree with what they are saying. It just isn't the place. If they want to do what they were doing it should be in a personal podcast (or "lifestyle" channel podcast).
I respect your personal tastes but to me Julie provides nothing to any podcast except for a laugh track which she turns on whenever she says anything.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I also want to say, I think Ryno and others are confusing our lack of interest in Disney’s plight as
bigotry. Disney has not been great to the fan base, they underpay cast members, and they have unceremoniously fired long-term employees.

I just don’t get that excited about them being bullied by the governor. Is it wrong what the Governor is doing? Yes, but… I just I’m not going to come to Disney’s defense, their lawyers can. My feelings for Disney getting a little bit of karma doesn’t equate to my feelings about the gay community.

I can agree with this. Disney has been in this game a long time and has top notch lawyers. They can fight this fight and will most likely make the governor look foolish in the end. Not worth my energy to get outraged over his Disney attacks when there are much more serious and concerning attacks against the LGBTQ+ community being waged around the country. Disney will be fine.

What I'd like to see from the show going forward is more focus on touring the parks and finding a way to do all that you want to when you go. Maybe a revisit to Genie+ where a few people try it out in the different parks and see what they can get done. That would be much more interesting to me than the latest cupcake or merch availability.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I respect your personal tastes but to me Julie provides nothing to any podcast except for a laugh track which she turns on whenever she says anything.
I agree, I don't think she is a good fit for an informational podcast when there is no one there to make sure her "I need to extrapolate on everything I know nothing or claim to care nothing about" tendency is kept in check. (For clarification I am not calling her stupid or applying this to her political opinions, those are anybody's prerogative.) She can be good flavor when kept on task.

That said, it could also be that she and her family has had a tough couple of years and this is just the nervous energy of seeing friends. I can empathize with that. While I try to keep criticisms to the show, it's hard for me not to take it into consideration.

The laughtrack (and other reaction noises from others) was definitely getting annoying though.

Reactions: 2

I get what you’re saying. That’s one of the things that makes outrage farming so successful. If you aren’t showing outrage, then you must be supporting the person behind it. It creates a vicious cycle by allowing more power and attention to come to those doing the farming. People need to understand that you can be adamantly against something, and actively work against it, without huge displays of public rage that just provide more fuel to the whole machine.

Reactions: 3
One huge issue is that the show format does not work anymore...and it most definitely does not work without "personalities".

When the DisUnplugged started there was a "need" for the weekly news and park content it provided. But now with Twitter/Facebook/Instagram if something happens in the Parks on a Friday its an immediate news story and by Tuesday its long gone and no longer interesting. If a ride opens on a Thursday, by Thursday afternoon everyone has seen "ride through" videos and seen dozens of reviews. Its done by Tuesday.

I know they have tried to change the show up (When they stopped doing news stories and just started talking about topics they wanted to), but to do that you have to be interesting and also have to come up with new topics every week. People loved Pete's rants, when they were off the cuff and sincere, but then at some point it felt like he was just doing them because no one else could come up with anything interesting.

Also the whole "Disney Content as my job" seems to wear people out. Replacing Pete with Craig or Ryno feels like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Like one poster said, how many show opportunities has Ryno gotten, where the show just disappears because he doesn't want to do it anymore.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
The whole show needs an overhaul. We all have 24 hour access to news. There isn’t a need for a show that essentially gives us week old stories that we’ve already read about 100 times.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Agree with previous posts. How are the making enough money to pay these people?

It’s very stagnant and ill say it again. Charles leaving was the start of the downward trajectory.

Something changed at that point and they never recaptured the chemistry IMO

Add Pete to the list of Orlando grifters who make their living selling information (and sometimes vacations) to people who live far away. But who themselves are totally bleeping bored with the parks and have to amuse themselves with endless vacations. If all these people shut themselves down, good riddance. So sorry that you live there and went to the parks SO much that you got bored.

On the other hand, the show will suck without Pete. It’s tough to be interesting on a podcast. Not many people can do it well. Love Pete or hate him, he’s interesting. But don’t worry, he’ll still be over on his paid Patreon if people want to hear his rants there.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 9

To be fair, as a Florida resident this is about much more than the governor’s fight with Disney. They touched on this a bit on a previous show. All these actions on the part of DeSantis are purely because Disney voiced an opinion opposing him. Everything since is retaliation for that. Are we okay with the government using its power to punish its enemies?

And the fight with Disney is drawing public attention away from everything else DeSantis is doing more quietly - the 6 week abortion ban, the change in how a death penalty sentence is decided, interfering with gender affirming care for transgender children, the “don’t say gay“ bill being rolled out to all 12 grades, book banning, changing the laws to make it easier for home insurance to avoid paying claims, the list goes on. I get that if you don’t live in Florida you can say you don’t care (although he’s probably running for President so people all over the country should be paying attention) but the panel is full of people who are very invested in how this governor is affecting their lives in very real ways. Like it or not, this is a Disney news story that changes every week (new developments today even) and covering that will lead to discussions of the bigger picture.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 22
To be fair, as a Florida resident this is about much more than the governor’s fight with Disney. They touched on this a bit on a previous show. All these actions on the part of DeSantis are purely because Disney voiced an opinion opposing him. Everything since is retaliation for that. Are we okay with the government using its power to punish its enemies?

And the fight with Disney is drawing public attention away from everything else DeSantis is doing more quietly - the 6 week abortion ban, the change in how a death penalty sentence is decided, interfering with gender affirming care for transgender children, the “don’t say gay“ bill being rolled out to all 12 grades, book banning, changing the laws to make it easier for home insurance to avoid paying claims, the list goes on. I get that if you don’t live in Florida you can say you don’t care (although he’s probably running for President so people all over the country should be paying attention) but the panel is full of people who are very invested in how this governor is affecting their lives in very real ways. Like it or not, this is a Disney news story that changes every week (new developments today even) and covering that will lead to discussions of the bigger picture.
Yep. The goal is to distract from the real, TRUE harm he's causing.

He did this once before. I can't remember when, 2010 or 2011 maybe, but he was done with the show. They went a few months rotating hosts and he was back.

John, Kevin, Theresa, Kathy, and Corey need to be on more often and the newer staff need to spend more time in the parks.
They’re all in the parks weekly. Even Craig with his infant goes weekly. Cory and Julie just got an annual pass again and Cory was just in Disneyland with Craig. I don’t think Pete has been in a park or been in a park for more than dining in a good while.

Yikes, I wasn't aware of the changes to the insurance. I just sold my parent's house in FL last year after a flood and restoration project in 2020 that took over 12 months due to the insurance co. dragging it's heels, and then with supply issues.

Had I not brought in a general contractor who fought for the best pay out and proper restoration (obviously the best pay out for them as well as us) we would have been screwed. That work required them to be paid directly by the insurance company and allowed them to go back and forth without my being the confused party in the middle. I see nothing good happening with this change, it seems to have been crafted by the insurance companies themselves:

"Among other actions, Senate Bill 2-A eliminates one-way attorney fees for property insurance claims; mandates that insurers pay claims faster; and eliminates assignment of benefit agreements, which allowed policyholders to sign over claims to contractors. It also sets tighter deadlines for both policyholders and insurers in order to speed up the claims and payment process." - https://www.crcgroup.com/Tools-Intel/post/florida-aims-to-rebuild-homeowners-market-with-reform-law

Reactions: 4

This is a really well written post. And I actually agree with you.

This isn’t direct just to you, but the whole conversation about how upset we should be at DeSantis and what that should look like. Really my question to Ryno…

Disney made significant campaign contributions to the current Florida government, and I believe to DeSantis campaigns, according to an article from Florida news, $100,000.

Again, it’s all wrong what’s happening, but Disney has had more impact contributing to the Florida government as it exists than someone from out of state.

I imagine Disney was making this contribution as a bit of lobbying? An effort to gain favorable treatment?

I don’t know, just saying, Ryno could be calling out Disney for their contributions to this guy rather than calling people in the chat bigots.

Imo, you can’t hold out of state fans accountable for their lack of investment but not call out Disney 10x louder for helping him win re-election.

I think there is legal precedent so I believe it will be resolved in the courts in Disney’s favor, and maybe that’s taking it for granted it will work out and I acknowledge that.

For what it’s worth, the Dis released a video on the lawsuit and it’s Craig reading portions of it.

This is a really well written post. And I actually agree with you.

This isn’t direct just to you, but the whole conversation about how upset we should be at DeSantis and what that should look like. Really my question to Ryno…

Disney made significant campaign contributions to the current Florida government, and I believe to DeSantis campaigns, according to an article from Florida news, $100,000.

Again, it’s all wrong what’s happening, but Disney has had more impact contributing to the Florida government as it exists than someone from out of state.

I imagine Disney was making this contribution as a bit of lobbying? An effort to gain favorable treatment?

I don’t know, just saying, Ryno could be calling out Disney for their contributions to this guy rather than calling people in the chat bigots.

Imo, you can’t hold out of state fans accountable for their lack of investment but not call out Disney 10x louder for helping him win re-election.

I think there is legal precedent so I believe it will be resolved in the courts in Disney’s favor, and maybe that’s taking it for granted it will work out and I acknowledge that.
I’m not arguing with you, just providing a bit more clarification as a local. Disney has always given money to politicians, and because Florida has more Republicans in the legislature they give more money to them to Dems here, but they give to both. Of course it is to gain favor, as all businesses do. But you may be forgetting a key piece— in addition to speaking out against the bill, Disney announced it was pausing all Florida political donations back in March 2022, well ahead of DeSantis‘ election. Another reason he and state legislators targeted Disney for retribution - not only did Disney voice opposition, they also stopped the checks.

I don’t recall exactly what Ryno said in that previous episode so I may be wrong but I don’t remember him calling people bigots if they didn’t agree. I remember more of him being outraged that more people aren’t paying attention to what is going on here. Seriously, it’s like we watch the news here wondering what fresh hell the day will bring. It’s not surprising people with a platform use it to voice their concern.

• Heart
I’m not arguing with you, just providing a bit more clarification as a local. Disney has always given money to politicians, and because Florida has more Republicans in the legislature they give more money to them to Dems here, but they give to both. Of course it is to gain favor, as all businesses do. But you may be forgetting a key piece— in addition to speaking out against the bill, Disney announced it was pausing all Florida political donations back in March 2022, well ahead of DeSantis‘ election. Another reason he and state legislators targeted Disney for retribution - not only did Disney voice opposition, they also stopped the checks.

I don’t recall exactly what Ryno said in that previous episode so I may be wrong but I don’t remember him calling people bigots if they didn’t agree. I remember more of him being outraged that more people aren’t paying attention to what is going on here. Seriously, it’s like we watch the news here wondering what fresh hell the day will bring. It’s not surprising people with a platform use it to voice their concern.
Definitely appreciate the context. I think it gets down (for me) how bad their delivery was last week.

What you have said, especially in the earlier post, came across far better and more articulate than last week’s show. I learned more from your two posts than I did from their 45 minutes of ranting.

Craig did a good job reporting on the lawsuit.

I'm betting Disney will win at least part of the lawsuit. Desantis has been a little too public about his reasons and his board is a joke clearly made up of people with no business in municipal management. It's becoming a real Boss Tweed situation. However, I wouldn't be surprised if instead of reverting to how things were they force the state to dissolve the current board and get members based on more acceptable terms (i.e. public election, mixed appointment by Disney, state, and/or non partisan organizations more related to municipal logistics).

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.