The DIS Unplugged #10 We’re Not Happy to be Here

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Well, they can all go suck a lemon. That's what my dad used to tell me to say to someone who was bullying or being mean - pretty tame so I didn't get in trouble. Ah...the '80s. 🍋🍋

This is her story and her truth. She has every right to use her voice and own it.

JeniLynn, I hope in some way, this is therapeutic and perhaps cathartic for you. It's kinda crazy that a gossip site can also be a safe place for the truth. 💙💙
Honestly, it is cathartic. I have waited a very, very long time for the truth to come out about this man. At times it was maddening watching people fawn over him and financially support his ventures when I knew it propped up a predator.

I am very grateful to Sean for coming forward and exposing Pete. I have mad respect for his bravery. Twenty+ years of this toxic company....someone before him should have broken the dam. Those of us from years prior should be humbled. He was mocked for his background, but he was the one who had his priorities straight. He spoke up loudly and persistently. Because of that, Dustin felt enabled to finally speak. When it was brought to my attention that Dustin was speaking up, I initially tried to keep myself out of it. But in the end, I couldn't do it. Dustin confirming that he was sexually abused was a bridge too far for me. He needed to be heard, and I wanted to make it hard for people to discount him as a fake. To amplify him and "say" I recognized him, I made that initial Instagram post pointing people to this site with #justicefordustin. I don't think that was the smart thing to do (I got quite a few messages telling me as much), but I felt it was the right thing to do. For that reason, that move was cathartic too.

You are right in that this is kinda crazy. This site is known for being the most toxic place on the internet, but somehow it was a safe house for some of Pete's victims, a forum where truth could not be silenced, and the stage where we saw not only did "the emperor" not have any clothes but he couldn't afford them in the first place (looking at you @Cinnamon1). On the other hand, it makes a lot of sense because it seemed to be the one place that was beyond Pete and John's reach. And that has me thinking....

When this blew up, I saw a number of pious posts on the Disboards about not wanting to be associated with the group on this site because it was vile. I can't take that seriously because 1) Hi, pot. This is the kettle. Have you heard what the owner of the Disboards has been up to for over a decade? and 2) To speak your language: 1 Corinthians 1:26-29.

If I ever get called on the carpet for posting on this site, I doubt it will ruffle my feathers. The issue should be what was said not where it was said.
---
I notice there was a tame post on the DIS Boards about Jenilynn's comments on Tattle (Tattle wasn't even mentioned or her comments repeated) but that was removed within an hour. Looks like they're trying to stifle people again.
Well...they apparently weren't quick enough. I didn't tell anyone that I started posting here, but one of my friends was well aware anyway. He contacted me today to let me know this was waiting for him in his inbox. So I'm not saying everyone got a notification, but I am saying that people who selected to get notifications for the My Official Statement thread did.
---
This is reading like there will be multiple parts to this story, and I am here for it.
I think the number of parts will depend on how many things people want to know. I don't have installments for a tell-all planned. But some of these posts might resemble an essay. I heard you guys have been waiting for one, right? Seriously, though, I'm just going to try to take these question-by-question as I can. It may take me some time to work through it because I have to hold down my job and the holidays are coming, but I am going to try to work through them.
---
So what were the events that led to your leaving the DIS? I seems like there were probably many ☹
Are you asking for the things that led to me making plans to leave The Dis, or are you asking for the things that led to me being fired from The Dis? They are two very different questions with very different answers. The result was the same though. Lol.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
So much of your story of how new employees were treated really ties into what Sean said! He mentioned all those things, such as the love bombing/gifts/trips etc... Pitting members of the team against each other as well. It is such a manipulative move to cause strife in an organization; therefore the team can't work together to call out the injustices being done by the boss. It causes such a me vs. them environment with Pete pulling the strings for his entertainment.
It's not just for his entertainment. It's also for his protection. If the team is divided, there won't be backlash. He is a master at this game. I hate to give him credit for anything, but he is a true genius at this game.

During my time at The Dis, there were divisions from the moment you stepped in. The new person was always looked at with suspicion and as a threat initially. Depending on who was brought in, some team members might suspect that a new person was a sign that their position was in jeopardy. Additionally, by default, it was assumed the new person wasn't trustworthy since they were initially kept close to Pete. And, occasionally, the team just didn't like the new person because they found them off-putting in general. The new person had to eventually prove that they were there to pull their weight but not replace someone. They also had to prove that they were trustworthy because there were a lot of secrets to keep.

It took time to earn trust at The Dis. And even after you had, I can't say that you ever truly earned it. It was almost always in the back of your mind that when push came to shove, your co-worker may throw you under the bus to save themself. I learned the hard way a couple of times that you always had to be ready for that possibility.

Pete knew all this and leaned into it to maintain control. And if someone was getting fired, there was a whole strategy for preventing backlash against the company. It was standard to also keep that person isolated from the team even beyond termination. That part was definitely for Pete's protection. He is an insecure man with a lot of skeletons in the closet, so keeping ties with someone he has rejected is seen as a betrayal and a risk. Narcissists can't cope with that. There is more to this, but, again, it's probably meant for a separate post. The bottom line is he was constantly trying to sow division between the team while keeping one or two close to him so that he had the illusion of an ally (although that ally regularly changed to keep with the theme of instability).

Something that happened kind of early on for me paints a good picture of this. I don't remember which meet-up this happened at, but it was when I was still trying to find my footing with the team. I want to say Indianapolis, but I could have that wrong. Wherever it was, we planned to do a Live Show for the people at the meet (as is normal for The Dis). Pete wasn't there, though, so we didn't have a main host. Since that is usually the thing that determines the seating for every show, we discussed what to do as a group. It was decided we would sit boy, girl, boy, girl, boy, etc. so that it didn't look like we were segregating ourselves by gender. Shaun ended up in the middle for no reason other than he was a boy and the other boys didn't want to be in the middle. We streamed the show, and Pete watched it.

When the show was over, I think one of them got a call from Pete. I don't remember who because I was distracted by the event. At some point, though, I realized the team was huddled by themselves away from the event and talking in hushed tones. I think I approached and asked what was going on. There was hesitation, but then they told me that Pete had called and reamed everyone out because of the livestream. I didn't understand, so they explained that Pete was livid that I wasn't sitting in the middle as the main host. He raged that Shaun was there instead and said that no one on the team was worthy of sitting in that seat when he was gone except for me. I think I went into shock. The idea was so horrific. I was trying to become a part of this team, and he had just humiliated them by using me as a weapon. Internally, I was shaken and had to excuse myself. I went to my room where I just bawled.

I pulled myself together after a while and then returned to the team, who were still trying to sort through the blitzkrieg that had happened. Teresa, being Teresa, questioned what I had been doing all that time. I had left because I didn't want to cry in front of everyone, but when I tried to explain, I got choked up and started crying a little bit again. It was awful and embarrassing to publicly break like that, but Teresa let her guard down at that point. She confessed they thought I had gone up to my room to call Pete and tell him everything they were saying about him. And then I was horrified that the team had thought that.

Unfortunately, that story is not an extreme example. We may have been at a meet-up, but the unpredictable outburst, the humiliation of the team, the elevation of one over another for the sake of keeping an ally, the mistrust between co-workers. It didn't take long to learn that was just "an average day at the office."

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 26
Good grief. What a horrible environment.

Thanks for answering so many questions. God it's just nice to talk honestly about these people isn't it?

Here for it.

@imjenilynn what do you think about the future for the DIS? I think a number of us are in agreement that it looks quite bleak and there hasn't been this creative explosion we were all promised. I wish (some of them) well but I tend to agree as I unfollowed months ago!

Reactions: 11
So what were the events that led to your leaving the DIS? I seems like there were probably many ☹
I guess that question is pretty big, sadly, considering the circumstances.
Did you at some point make a plan to leave and was there any one event that made that clear?
What were the circumstances of you actual departure/firing?

Reactions: 6
Jenilynn,

Here's where it became glaringly apparent to me (and likely anyone who watched The Dis) that you fell out of Pete’s good graces. It was also a cringeworthy glimpse into how he would abuse his staff:

There was one episode of the DIS where Teresa joined Pete on the panel, but you were not there that day. During the show, Pete went off on Teresa in a truly ugly fashion about how much he hated how you would sign off "The Trip" podcast (which Teresa road shotgun on), which I believe was "Trip Out."

Anyway, seemingly out of nowhere, Pete started mocking you and seething to Teresa about your catchphrase. Teresa was clearly caught off guard and uncomfortable with the blindsided attack and could say nothing but “Why are you yelling at me? Tell her.”

Which Pete promised he would.

JL, I assume Teresa told you about this outburst and that you probably went back and watched that episode of The Dis:
Did you?
And what did you think and feel after watching your boss attempt to devalue you in front of your coworkers and his viewers?
Did you ever speak to him about this incident?
What role did that specific piece of cruelty play in your leaving?

It was abusive to both you and Teresa, but I imagine it was particularly hurtful for you to watch him demonstrate such vitriol for your passion project - and you personally.
I wouldn't say I fell out of Pete's good graces at that point. I think the situation you are referring to was just a symptom of an internal struggle that I suspect Pete had from the moment he hired me.

While I did basically come to Pete as a vulnerable single mom, I didn't come to Pete as an unknown. I already had somewhat of a following, occasionally I was recognized in places that he wasn't, and I had a broadcast television station in my back pocket. So while my personal situation placed me firmly under his thumb where he likes everyone, my quasi-professional situation was an affront to him. Additionally, from time to time, he seemed threatened by the way I looked. For the sake of brevity, I'm just going to bullet point some reasons why I think this. Together, they suggest Pete might have struggled with wanting to utilize my skills and also feared I could take attention away from him if I was given too much room. He seemed to do what he could to make sure I was never in a position to upstage him. I don't know Pete's actual mind, but this is what makes sense to me. And I think the "Pete experiences" of some who came after me support this theory because he may have also felt this way about them.

* From the beginning, I was told he was going to give me a makeover, specifically a Hillary Clinton makeover. He did talk about wanting to draw attention away from my looks and instead to my mind (which sounds honorable on the surface). The thing, though, is I'm me. I'm not Hillary Clinton, and there is nothing wrong with that. Also, of all the team members at the time, I was already most likely to speak my mind, so that wasn't really an issue. I think he was disguising what he was really after. It's subtle, but the implication here was that I needed his help. I think he wanted to establish that he was superior and that I was lucky to have him as my benefactor. Also, he probably would have loved to draw attention away from my looks because...

* When we did the 7 in 7, I learned that Pete had tiny regrets about hiring me even before I met any of the team. I was told he initially feared that Dustin would want to leave him for me. That made no sense to me because I thought Dustin was gay and that seemed like an odd development to suggest. In hindsight, it makes total sense that Pete would be paranoid that his hold on Dustin wouldn't last (although projecting that onto me was still odd because there was no basis for it).

* The entire time I worked there, Pete told me, in all seriousness, that he wanted me to gain 30 lbs.

* We have all heard how he was upset that I was in a documentary done by a director who didn't know he existed.

* When we started doing The Daily Fix, it was standard format. And that format was very different from the Tues show. It was a strict 5 min. It was scripted. We only reported headlines and the weather. It was in front of a green screen with a very specific framed headshot meant to give a news anchor feel. We were not allowed to veer from it because consistency feeds algorithms. But the guys told me that after a couple of weeks, Pete started looking at the view counts. The days that I hosted were consistently the highest. So suddenly, on Pete days, the rules no longer applied. He was doing it from his backyard. He was taking however long he wanted. He was wearing sunglasses, and his dog was now on screen. He was going off script and ranting about the texture of Disney toilet paper (I'm making that part up...about toilet paper...he definitely started ranting). The goalposts kept changing for him until he saw his numbers go above mine and could be happy again.

* There really are too many examples tied to The Trip, beginning with him withholding multiple graphic elements that Corey and Will created to give the show a higher production value. Those things were already made and ready to use, but some of those things never saw the light of day. His reasoning was that The Trip was not allowed to have those things until the Tues show had those things.

But to answer your specific questions about Pete mocking me behind my back on that particular episode:

* No, I don't think I watched it. Teresa gave me cliff notes. I only remember her letting me know I was now forbidden from using my sign-off, and I initially thought she was joking because that's a weird thing to be opinionated about.

* Since I'm pretty sure I didn't watch it, my thoughts and feelings would have been based on the information filtered through Teresa. Maybe she spared me a little this way. I remember being frustrated and annoyed that she had been sent to communicate my new restriction even though there wasn't an actual offense. I probably rolled my eyes. I don't remember having a stronger reaction than that. Also, I don't think this was the first hit I took. I probably already knew the drill. He had made an ass of himself on camera. The display was going to have to speak for itself. Intelligent people would pick up that it was a commentary on him and not really on me. I had to be ok with that, so, ultimately, I was.

* Pete and I did have to eventually speak about it with one another because the viewers put up a fuss. There was a small campaign to bring back my sign-off. Eventually, he told me I could start using it again. But if you are wondering if we ever had a grown-up discussion or if I got an apology...I don't recall either of those things happening. Teresa might remember it better since she was the deer caught in this particular set of headlights.

* That display of cruelty did not play any role at all in my parting with The Dis. For me, it didn't have much of an impact. In fact, I didn't even remember that this happened until I read your post. Perhaps that helps you understand the level of crap the team put up with from Pete.

Anyway, since I didn't "trip out" of good graces with Pete, what was that point? I suppose it's a question for him. But I would guess that I fell out of his good graces much later, like around New Year's of 2016. He started genuinely sabotaging The Trip by changing the perimeters and setting us up for failure that year. It led to a confrontation in which he came for me and verbally attacked me in front of the team after a show. He was so vicious that I think I partially blacked out due to my rage. I genuinely remember none of the words that came out of his mouth. I can only remember him purposefully picking a fight with me, unnecessarily escalating it by antagonizing me, and then desperately trying to bait me so that screaming at me would be justified. I just stared him down in a blind rage and refused to be intimidated. I was absolutely seething and didn't cower that day. It wasn't the result he wanted. He did end up apologizing to me days later, but I think that is because he didn't know what else to do when I didn't bend. And I am guessing that event changed the way he saw me. Whether he consciously realized it or not, he probably shifted me into the "we can do without this" category. Lol.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
Does anyone know what Pete is up to these days and has that Amex hearing happened yet? I'm sure it was around about now. As he has lost all his power over people and is likely to be persona non grata at the parks I guess he'll go back to New Jersey.

Reactions: 12
@imjenilynn Where did John fit in all of this while Pete was being abusive to the staff on a daily basis? Did he just not get involved? We know that the full-time employees are Dreams employees even though they work on the Dis side.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
@imjenilynn Where did John fit in all of this while Pete was being abusive to the staff on a daily basis? Did he just not get involved? We know that the full-time employees are Dreams employees even though they work on the Dis side.
Exactly. I want to know if John was an enabler, i.e. he knew what was going on but turned a blind eye.

Reactions: 8
I am much more interested in this side of the story, then more Pete stories. I mean Pete stories are great, but at this point, we know what Pete is.

I'm curious about Teresa and John and the long time employees, like Craig and Ryno and how they interacted with Pete and each other. We've heard alot of whispers about enablers.

I know there seems to be this common theme that Pete was a master manipulator and evil genius, but I am a little unsure of that. For some of these people that have been around the DIS for 10+ years it feels more like that people are just willing to compromise themselves, or even "play the game", when they are being given money, a job and annual passes. "Ya, this is a toxic environment, but I sure love those free Moonlight Magic events!"

Reactions: 19
JL, I always admired you for standing up to pete when you would talk about your feelings towards seaworld, thanks for coming here and sharing your story and I hope you’re doing great now

• Heart
Hi @imjenilynn , I hope you have this answer, do you know the actual story with Sean Thompson being let go from the Dis? What is the story there? I've always wondered that ever since it happened!
---
JL, I always admired you for standing up to pete when you would talk about your feelings towards seaworld, thanks for coming here and sharing your story and I hope you’re doing great now
I don't recall, what was the deal with Pete and JL and SeaWorld? Were one of them for SeaWorld and the other person was against them?

Last edited:
I am much more interested in this side of the story, then more Pete stories. I mean Pete stories are great, but at this point, we know what Pete is.

I'm curious about Teresa and John and the long time employees, like Craig and Ryno and how they interacted with Pete and each other. We've heard alot of whispers about enablers.

I know there seems to be this common theme that Pete was a master manipulator and evil genius, but I am a little unsure of that. For some of these people that have been around the DIS for 10+ years it feels more like that people are just willing to compromise themselves, or even "play the game", when they are being given money, a job and annual passes. "Ya, this is a toxic environment, but I sure love those free Moonlight Magic events!"
I think Teresa's experience has to be really interesting, not only being an employee, but a family member at one point to Pete. Not only does she have the in depth knowledge of behind the scenes to the team, put the personal aspect of his crazy life amongst family gatherings! That had to be quite the balancing act.

Reactions: 9
Exactly. I want to know if John was an enabler, i.e. he knew what was going on but turned a blind eye.

@imjenilynn Like @Cinnamon1, I'm interested in John's knowledge of Pete's bed behavior. I am also wondering if the rest of the Dis staff thought Kevin was an insufferable snob.
@Cinnamon1, @Rufuscat, @Ghost of Bob Varley, I will answer your questions before I circle back to those of @Emmapism, @cavamom, and @Rufio'sGhost because I agree with you 100%. This question about John is currently the most important question because it gets to the heart of The Dis right now. And @ghostofbobvarley is right. A lot has already been said about Pete being abusive. Nothing in my personal tale is going to shock anyone after hearing from Sean and Dustin, so that can take a beat. I'll turn to this question of enabling.

My first unpopular opinion is that all of us who participated in The Dis Unplugged community and kept participating after seeing the toxic signs of work abuse enabled Pete. I'm including the team, webmasters, moderators, fundraisers, clients, viewers, listeners, etc. We all played a part in empowering Pete, but I do get what you are asking. You are trying to get a feel for whether the insiders--John in particular--are complicit in other people's suffering either by nurturing the environment, neglecting it, or simply keeping it open for business.

My second unpopular opinion is a bit complicated, and I am unpacking it in therapy. But the short of it is that, to varying degrees, I would say , yes, we were complicit. The reasons for being there differed. Some reasons are more noble than others. But at the end of the day, like @ghostofbobvarley implied, each person chose to be a tool in Pete's toolbox even after having their eyes opened. The bottom line for me is that, as adults, we should take responsibility for that choice, acknowledge our individual roles, and recognize that on some level we made peace with getting what we could out of a situation that hurt ourselves and others.

The reason the opinion is complicated for me is because everyone there *was* abused, and that really handicaps your ability to emotionally function and think rationally. It's a weird survival mentality. Actual survival isn't a real question. In truth, all of us have the option of getting another job. It is just really hard to see it that way when you are in the thick of it. So I have a lot of empathy for pretty much everyone on the team...except for John.

John does not get a pass from me because he is probably the one person who actually did have the power to stop the abuse, and he DEFINITELY knew about it. In a couple of isolated cases, he helped (like putting Teresa slightly out of reach at the Welcome Center). I suspect that sometimes he apathetically triggered situations (like hamstringing funds, knowing full well it would send Pete on his broomstick in our direction ). Occasionally, he actively blocked Corey who regularly tried to intervene when someone was "taking hits." But, usually, he did try to just brush past it or stay out of it. He was very nice to talk to, but actions speak louder than words. And his actions point to protecting his pocketbook over everything else.

I have spent a lot of time wondering why he has never really addressed the Pete issue...even now. My best guess is that his pocketbook isn't actually safe. Lawsuits aside, I wonder if Pete has proof of shady financial practices John can be tied to. This would explain why John always tries to keep the status quo with Pete even in extreme instances. I fully admit that I have no actual knowledge of anything like this. It is just the thing that makes the most sense to me.

I totally have to take a break now. I woke up sick today, and I have a headache coming on. So I'll get back to all this when I can. I hope this answers enough questions for now.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
I have spent a lot of time wondering why he has never really addressed the Pete issue...even now. My best guess is that his pocketbook isn't actually safe. Lawsuits aside, I wonder if Pete has proof of shady financial practices John can be tied to. This would explain why John always tries to keep the status quo with Pete even in extreme instances. I fully admit that I have no actual knowledge of anything like this. It is just the thing that makes the most sense to me.
First, thank you very much for taking the time to carefully and considerately answer so many questions. I hope you're feeling better soon. While I'm sure (or at least I hope) that your presence here is driven primarily by your own self-healing journey (which is all that really matters), it is also welcomed by those of us who'd like to learn more and understand how things ended up where they did.

I have maintained, purely through speculation of course and a passing understanding of human nature, that there likely is a significant amount of financial shadiness going on in and around DUT. Cash gifts, payments under the table, timeshare memberships, etc. along with the usual questionable practices that always surround commissioned sales and commissioned sales incentivization, certainly raises red flags for me. That, and the whole AmEx situation just reeks of finger pointing, blame passing, and feigned ignorance.

I find it very difficult to believe that John, as Pete's former romantic partner and long time business partner, had no idea not only what was going on abuse-wise, but likely had a pretty good idea of, if not fully endorsed Pete's spending extravagances, including opening the credit cards. I'm also guessing that Kevin, who besides traveling non-stop, doesn't really seem to do much of anything that someone else in a purely support position could do, solely maintains his TL license as a cover to justify much if not all of his lavish travel expenses and his love of Louis Vuitton. Keep the license active, perform a modicum of work that at least smells legitimate, and then either expense everything or put everything on a business account. Pretty good for a kindergarten teacher.

Anyway, thanks again for joining this mad house and again I hope you feel better soon. I think you'll find that the toxicity that people attribute to this place is about 90% just a reflection back, or refocusing of, whatever toxicity is throw out by the subjects of the threads themselves, and it just happens to all be happening in a relatively confined space. Justin and Sean found out it's a perfectly safe place.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Take a break for as long as you need jenilynn, it must be exhausting on so many levels to reveal this information & no-one wants you to feel under any pressure to divulge any more than you want to. Thank you and have a rest.

Reactions: 11
Honestly, it is cathartic. I have waited a very, very long time for the truth to come out about this man. At times it was maddening watching people fawn over him and financially support his ventures when I knew it propped up a predator.
So you waited until it was no longer financially beneficial to support a predator? At least you have the courage to admit it here.

• Wow
  • Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
So you waited until it was no longer financially beneficial to support a predator? At least you have the courage to admit it here.
In Post #275, I pretty much said that when you boil it down, it does come to all of us making peace with getting what we could (financial or otherwise) out of a situation that hurt us and others.

But since you have the need to throw the punch, I'll take the hit to help you out. Feel better?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
I wonder if Ryno convinced Dustin that this website is trash, and that's why Dustin stopped posting anything here. I'm sure he also was just ready to move on from it all after everything came out.
Another thing I've wondered about Dustin is why, after everything he went through, would he ever want to try and go BACK working for Pete?! That is pretty crazy to me.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.