The DIS Unplugged #10 We’re Not Happy to be Here

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
JL, something that struck me over the years was the lack of people of color on the show. I think a couple of years ago a black gentleman joined for a live chat but that was about it. Pete and the rest would often crow about their progressive credentials but that only seemed to extend to the G part of LGBTQ+ and the other progressive causes. Do you think it was because he saw all new male hires as potential lovers and he just didn't 'fancy' non-whites? Or was it just a coincidence? And I don't remember seeing a black woman featured on any show, ever. I'm not accusing Pete or the other owners of racism but there was a hint of that back in 2008 in this blog post by a lady called Suzanne:

Click on this link: https://suzannesez.blogspot.com/2008/05/glad-that-im-not-guilty-by-association.html

It starts with

"May 24, 2008
I thought I was done with the DISboards stuff, really I did.

However, the hypocrisy and racism displayed by Webmaster Pete and others on a memorial show is deplorable."

There is some fairly juicy stuff in the middle and it ends with:

"The DISboards is run to increase business for Pete's web based TRAVEL AGENCY. Would you want to give business to a company that not only has such idiotic and racist views, but shares them on three different occasions on a podcast that you could have found (until 11pm last night) on iTunes?

It was only until this was pointed out by Janet on the UnDIS that they quickly pulled the offensive version. I guess they didn't think it was offensive. They thought wrong."

What is very interesting was the reference to the 'UnDIS'. It seems that this is a forum called 'The Unoriginal DIS Troublemakers Club' set up by the 1000+ people expelled from the DisBoards in 2008. It can be found here https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/theunoriginaldistroublemakersclub/circle-of-sarcasm-f3/

I initially tried to Google 'UnDis' but came up with nothing, the top search result was just a list of questions about the DisUnplugged from 2012 with one of the questions being "What happened to the new hire Scott? I heard him on a few podcasts and then he was gone." and another asking " What exactly is the purpose of the Welcome Center at the port? I don't get it. Was it to give Walter something to do all day?"

LOL, ten years later and nothing changes.
It’s clearly a bias. But I too wonder if it had to do with where Pete liked putting his little wiener. I also don’t see many Black women sitting quietly back while this happened around them. With Pete gone, it’s interesting that nothing has really changed in that regard so I wonder if it’s John and Kevin as well.

Reactions: 2
John and Kevin put their heads in the sand and pretend they don't see the world around them. They are happy in their little bubble surrounded by their friends and people that praise them. This is probably why they like cruising so much.

They will tell you how open minded and welcoming they are but their actions do not support that kind of talk.

They are all that is rotten with that company. Pete was just the inevitable outcome over John's greed and putting profits over people.

Reactions: 8
Please elaborate more JL don’t protect anyone who didn’t protect you when you were shown the door and labeled a thief.
Mainly what I am trying to point out is that I am not better than any of the other people on the team in this story. But pertaining to Julie...again, she will have to be the one to tell her story, but from where I sat it didn't look like she wanted to be there. I believe that she only remained because she loves and supports her husband, and I can't say that I would have done differently if I were in her shoes. I was under the impression that she had long thought Pete was scum. And I can think of at least 3 occasions when she would have rearranged Pete's face into a Picasso if Corey hadn't talked her down from the ledge. All of those occasions were when she found out he had maliciously wronged others on the team--not herself. She was the kindest person there. Her heart is very big and tender.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Julie is perfectly happy to live in a palace, take fancy trips and walk around in designer shoes that are paid for with money that is earned from sexual assault and psychological abuse so please forgive me if I don’t think she’s a saint. Like we say about Kevin all the time, her substitute teacher salary isn’t paying for her lavish lifestyle. She’s turning a blind eye because it suits her.

Reactions: 7
Julie is perfectly happy to live in a palace, take fancy trips and walk around in designer shoes that are paid for with money that is earned from sexual assault and psychological abuse so please forgive me if I don’t think she’s a saint. Like we say about Kevin all the time, her substitute teacher salary isn’t paying for her lavish lifestyle. She’s turning a blind eye because it suits her.
Well, I can’t deny that it’s not a good look for the reasons that you have stated. She does have all the things you have said, and they were paid for by Corey.

But from what I saw, there is more to it. Maybe I am wrong, but I think she would have walked away from it if Corey had been willing to walk.

I am not justifying anything. I think I have been pretty clear that I think we were all complicit, and I think we all need to take responsibility for that. But I do see an added layer for Julie. Her choice had to be made along with someone else who felt they should stay. I factor that into my feelings about Julie. I can understand if you don’t. In the end, she is still there, so I see your side as well. I think it’s something we all need to answer for regardless of the reasons.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I was thinking about this, so @imjenilynn and @themando I would be curious of your thoughts. Since Pete is such a narcissist, do you think he will emerge at some point and try to start up a new company? I just can't see him just going from a life of luxury (even if he couldn't afford it) being treated like a king at the restaurants/concierge cruises etc... to just an unknown nobody. I really think he will have gone off on another rehab stint and comeback as the victim and be able to rope people into his vortex. I might be completely off, but I don't see him going from doing interviews on tv to obscurity and sitting in the background.

Reactions: 4
@imjenilynn Are you able to elaborate on this?
I have thought really hard about this one. It's not my story nor is it the story of the person that I heard it from, so it is really far into hearsay. To make it worse, neither Bob nor his son are alive to confirm or refute anything I might say. It doesn't seem fair to just throw these words out onto a public forum for that reason. But I think the thing that keeps me from sharing, really, is that I don't know how talking about it might emotionally impact the remaining Varley family. Since I don't know them at all, nor their comfort level with discussing their family's business, nor if they have in the past or presently receive financial support from Pete, I don't want to dig deeper into this one right now.

I feel comfortable sharing my first-hand response to the story. As an employee of Pete with a minor son, this story horrified me. I was listening to this tale in the studio dedicated to the man that Pete potentially betrayed on a level that is the stuff of any parent's nightmares. The notion was twisted, and it horrified me enough that I took one of the scariest steps in my life...calling a Dis competitor about a job opportunity, knowing that Pete was likely to come after me with a vengeance if he found out.

I can imagine someone is going to ask me if I really thought that the story could be true. Obviously, I did because I called Ricky Brigante as a result. But also, I did have the following to push me from disbelief to consideration that it might not just be a sick story:

Pete, himself, told me of his dad's history. It's stomach-churning. But because it should be verifiable online in police reports, I'm willing to speak this piece. (I'm just not willing to spend the money to get the reports). If what Pete told me is true (and the crime I am referring to should be obvious if anyone comes across it), can someone tell me why at the bottom of every page of wdwinfo.com, there is a site dedication to him? The thought of it all makes me ill. If it is not true, then my conscious can be at peace because someone here can correct me. I'm ok with that too.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 9
Teresa’s son Max worked on the Dis for a while and then one day he disappeared never to be heard from again. I can’t help but wonder if Pete ever got inappropriate with him?
---
As a parent this whole speculation and discussion makes me ill.

Reactions: 6
Site dedication is no longer there. Hi Corey. Or whoever told him to take it down.
It’s still there for now. Scroll to the very bottom and look for the section that looks like the 2nd image. Click on the words “Site Dedication.”

• Sad
Reactions: 1
It’s still there for now. Scroll to the very bottom and look for the section that looks like the 2nd image. Click on the words “Site Dedication.”
The “Site Dedication” text and hyperlink are still there, but the link is dead. Clicking it takes you to:

IMG_9713.png

The “Site Dedication” text and hyperlink are still there, but the link is dead. Clicking it takes you to:

View attachment 2595556

View attachment 2595556
For some reason, it is still pulling up for me. Anyway, the point is that this man is a criminal. According to Pete, his crimes were the worst I can imagine. Nothing ranks higher as more vile in my mind. So imagine my surprise when I found out that every page of the site linked to a dedication honoring his memory. It is so twisted. I genuinely lack the words for how twisted this is.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 7
John and Kevin put their heads in the sand and pretend they don't see the world around them. They are happy in their little bubble surrounded by their friends and people that praise them. This is probably why they like cruising so much.

They will tell you how open minded and welcoming they are but their actions do not support that kind of talk.

They are all that is rotten with that company. Pete was just the inevitable outcome over John's greed and putting profits over people.
Money and power are intoxicating drugs. John and Kevin got very comfortable to the lifestyle that Pete was providing for them. Look at how many times people have posted that they used Dreams Unlimited not because they got great service, but because they wanted to support the show in some way. It was Pete driving alot of the traffic to the travel agency. "Sure I can stand up to Pete, but that's going to be hard and also I really love LV bags."

The Panda story JL told is a good example. Panda knew what a mess of a situation the DIS was, but the DIS had money and "disney influence" and a travel agency behind it and Panda ultimately thought it would be good for his brand (and likely his wallet) just to deal with it. It doesn't mean Panda is responsible for anything Pete allegedly did as a person or as a boss, but it does make you realize that there aren't too many heroes in this story.

Reactions: 14
For some reason, it is still pulling up for me. Anyway, the point is that this man is a criminal. According to Pete, his crimes were the worst I can imagine. Nothing ranks higher as more vile in my mind. So imagine my surprise when I found out that every page of the site linked to a dedication honoring his memory. It is so twisted. I genuinely lack the words for how twisted this is.
No doubt about that. Hopefully it’s just archived in your browser cache, and the actual link has been disabled. The fact that even the link text still exists though is heinous enough and suggests Corey is either lazy, or complicit.

Reactions: 3
That fucked up dedication, in response to a man who sounds like an evil piece of tit, is beyond nauseating.

Reactions: 4
That fucked up dedication, in response to a man who sounds like an evil piece of tit, is beyond nauseating.
If anyone knows how to get police records from New Jersey, it could probably be confirmed. I don’t know if I was doing it wrong or what, but the site said I needed $30 to pull his record. I wasn’t going to do that.

Reactions: 1
I have thought really hard about this one. It's not my story nor is it the story of the person that I heard it from, so it is really far into hearsay. To make it worse, neither Bob nor his son are alive to confirm or refute anything I might say. It doesn't seem fair to just throw these words out onto a public forum for that reason. But I think the thing that keeps me from sharing, really, is that I don't know how talking about it might emotionally impact the remaining Varley family. Since I don't know them at all, nor their comfort level with discussing their family's business, nor if they have in the past or presently receive financial support from Pete, I don't want to dig deeper into this one right now.

I feel comfortable sharing my first-hand response to the story. As an employee of Pete with a minor son, this story horrified me. I was listening to this tale in the studio dedicated to the man that Pete potentially betrayed on a level that is the stuff of any parent's nightmares. The notion was twisted, and it horrified me enough that I took one of the scariest steps in my life...calling a Dis competitor about a job opportunity, knowing that Pete was likely to come after me with a vengeance if he found out.

I can imagine someone is going to ask me if I really thought that the story could be true. Obviously, I did because I called Ricky Brigante as a result. But also, I did have the following to push me from disbelief to consideration that it might not just be a sick story:

Pete, himself, told me of his dad's history. It's stomach-churning. But because it should be verifiable online in police reports, I'm willing to speak this piece. (I'm just not willing to spend the money to get the reports). If what Pete told me is true (and the crime I am referring to should be obvious if anyone comes across it), can someone tell me why at the bottom of every page of wdwinfo.com, there is a site dedication to him? The thought of it all makes me ill. If it is not true, then my conscious can be at peace because someone here can correct me. I'm ok with that too.
It celebrates him like he is some sort of war hero or something. Opening with an MLK quote to define his legacy? Wow. If he was responsible for the unspeakable things you allude to, then Jesus, what a twisted thing to have attached to your site as an every page dedication. Disgusting.

It celebrates him like he is some sort of war hero or something. Opening with an MLK quote to define his legacy? Wow. If he was responsible for the unspeakable things you allude to, then Jesus, what a twisted thing to have attached to your site as an every page dedication. Disgusting.
Not to mention Pete’s mom’s reputation in all this. She always comes across as the sweet old lady Pete holds up for various trips, but if she stood by this monster if this is true? Truly truly disgusting.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.