The Depression Thread #3

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Have you told your dr? Sertraline might not work for you. I tried 100mg and I felt like I was insane!

Also, are you doing anything alongside the pills to help? Counselling? Exercise? Whatever makes your day nicer basically. For me thats what really makes it work!

I say this but atm i have no routine myself at the moment as I got a new job. Im starting small with gratitude reflections and trying to do daily calm on the calm app
I've done counselling back in the summer, but despite my best intentions I've not reviewed my notes since. Thanks for your comment though, I had to take some time away from here because I had a bad weekend so I apologise for not replying sooner. I just feel knackered today, absolutely shattered, like I need a few more hours in bed instead of being in an office at 7.30am.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I've done counselling back in the summer, but despite my best intentions I've not reviewed my notes since. Thanks for your comment though, I had to take some time away from here because I had a bad weekend so I apologise for not replying sooner. I just feel knackered today, absolutely shattered, like I need a few more hours in bed instead of being in an office at 7.30am.
Reply on your own time! No one is clock watching here.
It's hard, I know myself I try to do all the right things and I know I will feel better for it if I do, but doing it is hard!
I forced myself out today to get some bits at lunch, Christmas makes me struggle as its all the worst triggers, people, noise, rain, cold, which make me excuse myself and retreat so I should give myself a little pat on the back for going and reward myself by not going again 😂

• Heart
Hello all
Just found this thread so have alot of reading to do.
I’m on Lexapro for anxiety and low mood. I’m 10 weeks into it and just exhausted. So much so that I’m thinking of coming off it. I’ll ring my dr on Monday but just wondering if the tiredness should have eased at this stage? I’m struggling to stay awake passed 8 o’clock! I started off at 5mgs and putting off going up to 10mg.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Has anybody found any sort of self guided therapy that really works. I had some sessions but my therapist changed and they were really not for me. I really want to find a way to feel better or try and find the reasons why I am the way I am.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Has anybody found any sort of self guided therapy that really works. I had some sessions but my therapist changed and they were really not for me. I really want to find a way to feel better or try and find the reasons why I am the way I am.
I've never found any lasting cure as such. I just try to tell myself that it's like the sea in that it ebbs and flows and not get too fixated on either state. Being kind to yourself & trying to eat healthy etc all help, but there are times you just can't do it I know.
I know my childhood, undiagnosed ASD/ADHD have shaped me but it doesn't really change or solve the underlying depression. Someone else may swear by a certain therapy though. Take care. @Spidey2020

There would be no need for psychiatrists/psychologists/therapists etc if the profession had really cracked how to treat depression effectively. As for the gurus who promise "cures" with expensive fancy "therapies", don't waste your money. The current buzzwords and platitudes are often used to comfort and soothe but I've found that the best thing is to accept how you are and work out your own plan as to how to get through the hours and manage your feelings. Medication can be hit and miss but is worth a try provided that you are monitored responsibly by a decent GP who has experience of prescribing these drugs and adjusting dosage if necessary.

I agree that you shouldn't get too fixated on the ebbs and flows of depression...It really doesn't help. It's a real struggle to keep plodding on when under the cosh but it's a sign of resilience too. I just try to accept things.

• Heart
Hello all,
So glad I found a thread of somewhere I can write down my feelings. I am struggling massively at the moment. I don’t know how to speak about it, I am constantly feeling down like there is no joy in anything anymore. I know I’m being negative about everything and bringing everyone else around me down but I just can’t help it. I feel like I am spiralling at the moment and I am taking everything out on my boyfriend. I guess there is no point to this post really other than I want to get help but I’m so embarrassed to even go and see the doctor I just feel like I won’t be believed. Work is also not helping the situation I think it is making it worse. Life just seems so miserable and pointless right now

• Heart
@Averagejoex So sorry you are feeling this way. It's exacerbated this time of year. I don't currently take any medication but I do recall that making that doctor's appointment and bursting into tears eased up my internal mind pressure. It's a first step to recovering for many. Don't be ashamed. There are so many of us feel as you do. As the saying goes, you wouldn't feel ashamed if you broke your ankle would you? Be brave, go see the doctor. You are worthy.
---
Also I think there's a lot to be said for being your own therapist. Thinking your worthy is the first step. I know first time I took Prozac I thought is this how it feels to not hate yourself? To feel ok? To feel comfortable in your own skin?
---
*you're worthy! ☺

Last edited:
  • Heart
Do write it all down if you feel you won't be able to speak to the GP, AJ and then let him or her read it? You'll feel better just doing something and having a plan. It's hard to have that motivation but you'll be doing it for your loved ones too..

Feeling comfortable in your own skin is the ultimate goal isn't it?

• Heart
Folks, I moved from lexapro to sertraline a few weeks ago, currently at 100mg dosage. I cannot get cool, I went outside in a t shirt earlier (Ireland in January cold!) which is incrediblyunlike me. I know sertraline sweats can be a common side effect but this isn’t so much sweating as just feeling overwhelmingly stifling warm at all times. I got night sweats on lexapro, but never this draining daytime overheating. Has anyone else experienced this? If I’m struggling in winter, how will I survive summer!?

• Heart
I have my review next week and it isn’t going well. My MH has been sliding since October/November time and early January has been horrific. (Thinking of the S word but not in a serious way)
It’s been the worst since i went onto the meds.
I feel like I need to continue at the same dosage or even step it up a notch and go onto 150mg.
God knows what’ll happen.

• Heart
How does everyone find their partner dealing with your depression? I’m just sitting and waiting for the day he ups and leaves because he’s had enough. He’s supportive so far, pushing for me to try and get help, but I constantly have the fear that he’ll leave because he can’t deal with me anymore

• Heart
How does everyone find their partner dealing with your depression? I’m just sitting and waiting for the day he ups and leaves because he’s had enough. He’s supportive so far, pushing for me to try and get help, but I constantly have the fear that he’ll leave because he can’t deal with me anymore
I don't have a partner but I can only imagine the extra pressure and fear this adds to depression. You say he's pushing you to get help? I think it's best you do as ultimately we do have to make our own decision to change.
I'm feeling pretty awful myself. I've gained a stone from binge eating and just lying around. I did a depression test and got 37 out of 39 so I know I need to get some ADs to change something. My head's full of unshed tears and sitting in waiting for an engineer so can't even cry it out! My reluctance to go down AD route is because I'm already on BP & cholesterol meds plus it's so hard to take that step isn't it? 😑

• Heart
My doctor has swapped me from 100mg of Sertraline to 50mg, and 15mg of Mirtzapine per day. I was having serious problems with insomnia but the Mirtzapine has swapped that on it's head. I'm now tired out and asleep for 10pm.
I can't say that I feel particularly great in myself though still and I'm still working on trying to get through half a day at a time (a full day at a time on good days).

I think I might take some time away from social media for a while and get myself sorted. I just don't feel so great.

• Heart
I hate having my behaviour witnessed by somebody (my partner) every day and feel so much more guilty and ashamed if I'm depressed and in bed for most of the day. I also feel pressure to cook "normal" meals for both of us because I do the cooking, and struggle with that expectation every day when sometimes I just feel like eating instant noodles or plain pasta on my own, or just not cooking.

I'm really struggling right now (I've had life-long anxiety and depression due to being autistic) and it's made worse by the fact that Winter is usually the best time of year for me; I become suicidal every Summer because everything is too hot, bright and humans/dogs are so noisy, so I just feel so frustrated that even my favourite time of year is hard to cope with now.

I've done various counselling/therapy for about 10 years and am on Sertraline but I usually end up coming off it after a year or so because I still feel like tit and end up gaining weight on it. The doctor gave me Diazepam for extremely anxious moments but it doesn't seem to do anything for me, at least not at a low dose.

Does anyone else feel like they are constantly fighting to do everything right to "beat" the depression and it just doesn't work? Constantly forcing myself to eat healthy things I don't want to eat, go for walks I don't want to go on, go to the gym, brush my teeth, have showers I don't want to have, go on medication I don't want to be on. It's so much bloody effort.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
@NitrousOxide This winter has really felt tit hasn't it? Yet I dread the summer for all the reasons you said. I loathe the heat and that everyone is outside being raucous and annoying, using lawn mowers & kids out playing from dawn until 11 pm! Flies & smells. Oh happy days. Hope you feel a bit better soon. X

• Heart
@NitrousOxide This winter has really felt tit hasn't it? Yet I dread the summer for all the reasons you said. I loathe the heat and that everyone is outside being raucous and annoying, using lawn mowers & kids out playing from dawn until 11 pm! Flies & smells. Oh happy days. Hope you feel a bit better soon. X
Yes, exactly that! It's reassuring that someone else understands... ❤

• Heart
I think a lot of people struggle with depression and anxiety but try to put out an impression that all is hunky dory and wonderful..

It's very hard to keep going when you feel you are ploughing through treacle and everything is too much effort yet you have to do it...

A lot of people understand,NO.....and autism is really complex. It's not a question of popping ADs and having a standard package of CBT. Life's a minefield which we have to negotiate and find what helps us and what doesn't regardless of "best practice" as advocated by the NHS.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I think a lot of people struggle with depression and anxiety but try to put out an impression that all is hunky dory and wonderful..

It's very hard to keep going when you feel you are ploughing through treacle and everything is too much effort yet you have to do it...

A lot of people understand,NO.....and autism is really complex. It's not a question of popping ADs and having a standard package of CBT. Life's a minefield which we have to negotiate and find what helps us and what doesn't regardless of "best practice" as advocated by the NHS.
That's what feels so impossible to figure out. I'm always questioning whether the general advice for depression or anxiety will help me or harm me. CBT can make things worse for autistic people. I have a therapist whose expertise is autism because it always has to be taken into consideration. Going out for a walk or exercising or being sociable can send me into a meltdown or feeling suicidal, whereas those things are heavily pushed as remedies for bad mental health. I never know whether to do more or less.

• Heart
My adult autistic daughter feels the same as you. She is exhausted by social interaction and all the "standard" remedies are as much use as a chocolate teapot! I don't know whether your therapist has suggested Acceptance and Commitment Therapy but it's certainly more relevant than CBT.

I think you should accept what you find really difficult and what triggers you..and make allowances for yourself by limiting really challenging things to when you feel more able mentally to manage them in small doses if you get what I mean? Pushing yourself to attempt huge great hurdles never works and some days are easier than others when it comes to achieving what you feel you would really like to do.

There's no "recipe" or magic formula but just feeling contented in yourself and having an "ok" day is a great goal to aim for when you're struggling with getting through the hours. I don't think you should analyse what you do or don't do too much.. Be your own therapist and work out what makes you feel comfortable in yourself and follow your own instincts regardless of the general advice which basically boils down to platitudes and common sense for people with mild issues

• Heart