The Depression Thread #3

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My adult autistic daughter feels the same as you. She is exhausted by social interaction and all the "standard" remedies are as much use as a chocolate teapot! I don't know whether your therapist has suggested Acceptance and Commitment Therapy but it's certainly more relevant than CBT.

I think you should accept what you find really difficult and what triggers you..and make allowances for yourself by limiting really challenging things to when you feel more able mentally to manage them in small doses if you get what I mean? Pushing yourself to attempt huge great hurdles never works and some days are easier than others when it comes to achieving what you feel you would really like to do.

There's no "recipe" or magic formula but just feeling contented in yourself and having an "ok" day is a great goal to aim for when you're struggling with getting through the hours. I don't think you should analyse what you do or don't do too much.. Be your own therapist and work out what makes you feel comfortable in yourself and follow your own instincts regardless of the general advice which basically boils down to platitudes and common sense for people with mild issues
Thank you neroli. I really appreciate your post. ❤

Reactions: 1
I haven’t been diagnosed with depression and anxiety, but I think I’m going through a mental breakdown triggered by my grandmother going into hospital, but I think I’ve been rumbling on with it for years and this is the straw that broke the camels back. I went home from work in tears yesterday, everything has got on top of me. Money worries, doubts as to whether I am any good at my job, always busy with kids and having a family outside of this, very poor self image even though I’m not too overweight (about 2 stone). I filled out an econsult yesterday morning after I got home, as could not get through to doctors. Had a text and email confirmation that someone would get back to me before 6.30pm today. I called them at 4pm today to confirm someone was calling me back as I have been in bed crying since yesterday morning, and I can’t pull myself out of it. The doctors said I had not been out on the econsult review list for today for some reason, even though I had text confirming this. They apologised profusely. I was in tears on the phone as I was hoping to possibly start some medication before the weekend but they have booked me in for 9am on Monday. I don’t know how I am going to make it through the weekend. My husband is an angel but there’s only so much family can do. I’ve never felt so low 😞 sorry for the essay I just don’t know what to do x

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Would you be ok phoning The Samaritans as a stopgap?

Tel 116 123

They could find out the number of your local MH Crisis Line. It may help just to talk to a MH professional.

I'm really sorry that you're in such distress but please do try the Samaritans first? x

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Would you be ok phoning The Samaritans as a stopgap?

Tel 116 123

They could find out the number of your local MH Crisis Line. It may help just to talk to a MH professional.

I'm really sorry that you're in such distress but please do try the Samaritans first? x
Thank you for your kind words. I have requested a call back from a nurse via 111 for advice for the best way to go about things as I really feel I do need some medication (I’m aware it doesn’t work straight away but I was hoping just getting a few days worth in before next week may help) My doctors attached a list of phone numbers to the text for Crisis teams etc so I have numbers to call if needed. I’m not suicidal and have never felt that way inclined, but the low mood has knocked the stuffing out of me. It feels so much worse than it ever has done. After reading up on it I feel as if I may have PMDD as everything feels massively amplified just before my period, but the low mood, anxiety etc always feels as if it’s bubbling away in the back ground. I’m starting to realise digestive issues that I am having may well be down to anxiety rather than some sort of IBS (which is what I have just assumed it is in the past).

I am back at work on Tuesday but I don’t feel as if I can go in if I can’t pull myself out of this hole soon. I’ll be a mess and on the brink of tears just speaking to anyone.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
IBS is heavily linked to anxiety though...

Don't think too far ahead. Take things an hour at a time. Tuesday is a long way off.

Hope you don't have to wait too long for that callback and that the nurse is empathetic and helpful.

• Heart
IBS is heavily linked to anxiety though...

Don't think too far ahead. Take things an hour at a time. Tuesday is a long way off.

Hope you don't have to wait too long for that callback and that the nurse is empathetic and helpful.
Thank you for your lovely words @neroli they are helping me. The worst bit is that I feel fine then will feel weepy/tearful with no obvious trigger. I will get there slowly, and just focus on doing it an hour at a time. I have not heard from anyone yet from 111, but I am looking forward to seeing a doctor face to face on Monday morning. Once I have some sort of plan in place I’m sure I’ll feel much better x

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Having a plan really helps me. I think it gives you a sense of control when it's hard to concentrate and you tend to catastrophise and feel overwhelmed by racing thoughts.

This could well be hormonal but try not to over analyse? You have done the right thing by setting up the NHS 111 callback and by making that GP appt on Monday first thing.

• Heart
Hi all, I hope everyone’s ok. I’ve recently been told, after speaking with occupational health and talking therapies, that I have depression and anxiety. My counsellor this evening recommended me to speak to GP and ask to be put on fluoxetine. I’ve never been on medication before and I find that a bit daunting, even though I know it’ll help in the long run. Has anyone been on it and had positive outcomes?

• Heart
Folks, I moved from lexapro to sertraline a few weeks ago, currently at 100mg dosage. I cannot get cool, I went outside in a t shirt earlier (Ireland in January cold!) which is incrediblyunlike me. I know sertraline sweats can be a common side effect but this isn’t so much sweating as just feeling overwhelmingly stifling warm at all times. I got night sweats on lexapro, but never this draining daytime overheating. Has anyone else experienced this? If I’m struggling in winter, how will I survive summer!?

Hey try taking them at night instead of the day this is what I had to do otherwise I was a sweaty mess ha xx

• Heart
Having a plan really helps me. I think it gives you a sense of control when it's hard to concentrate and you tend to catastrophise and feel overwhelmed by racing thoughts.

This could well be hormonal but try not to over analyse? You have done the right thing by setting up the NHS 111 callback and by making that GP appt on Monday first thing.
I’ve been put on 50mg sertraline after seeing the doctor, and have been given a 2 week sick note. I have been sent access to a mental wellbeing resource from work and I feel hopeful that things will start to slowly get better. Just hard admitting when you feel like you’ve reached rock bottom I suppose.

• Heart
I'm glad you've seen the GP and are giving sertraline a go. The 2 weeks away from work will give you time to adjust to the AD and it could make you feel tired and a bit headachey to begin with.

"Rock bottom" sounds bad but it's just a feeling of distress and despair which you've responded to by very sensibly getting medical help. I really hope that things begin to pick up for you and that the break from work will help and make you feel better mentally.

• Heart
@ImDavidBrent I posted this a while back. I was out on fluoxetine many years ago and after the initial two weeks or so, I arrived at a place where I finally felt comfortable in my own skin for the very first time. It was wonderful, not high or anything like that but just able to be and feel ok.
@Marcinabolan I'm so glad you got some help and especially a bit of time off. Hang in there. You sound so absolutely lovely. Take care and keep posting if it helps x

• Heart
@ImDavidBrent I posted this a while back. I was out on fluoxetine many years ago and after the initial two weeks or so, I arrived at a place where I finally felt comfortable in my own skin for the very first time. It was wonderful, not high or anything like that but just able to be and feel ok.
@Marcinabolan I'm so glad you got some help and especially a bit of time off. Hang in there. You sound so absolutely lovely. Take care and keep posting if it helps x
Thank you, just feels difficult to admit you have a problem or you feel as if you should be stronger, because everyone around me seems to get along with it, or can cope with things better. I was shocked at myself to be honest with how my brain has reacted to stress. It’s alien to me. Hopefully the sertraline will work for me but if not, there’s always other options ❤ I’m just trying to take it easy, which isn’t difficult at the moment as I have no motivation and feel a little numb/not quite there emotionally xx

• Heart
Yes it is difficult to admit but ultimately taking that step is your path to recovery and you did it. Well done. Now try and tell yourself that you are going through a tough patch and for this spell you resolve to treat yourself kindly as I'm sure you have done for others. Day by day does it

• Heart
Thanks so much for your reply 💖

Yes it is difficult to admit but ultimately taking that step is your path to recovery and you did it. Well done. Now try and tell yourself that you are going through a tough patch and for this spell you resolve to treat yourself kindly as I'm sure you have done for others. Day by day does it
Thank you for your lovely words, you are a very kind soul xxx

• Heart
I’m nearly a week past my initial breakdown, and I started sertraline on Monday so I know it won’t be working properly yet. I’m feeling quite numb emotionally still and struggling to have a laugh or sense of humour like I used to. Does this get better with meds or is this me now? I don’t mind being less anxious but hopefully not to the point of being a robot.

• Heart
@Marcinabolan When I took Prozac it took about two weeks to feel better. Also we have to remember we are still who we are as people, life is not & never will be fair and we will still have good and bad days even on meds. I hope you start to feel some positive effects soon. Take care. :)

Your stress levels had been accumulating over a period of time, Marcina and it's still really early days in terms of expecting to feel an improvement. I'd give the sertraline at least 4 weeks before deciding whether it's helping or not. Feeling flat and less anxious may be giving your brain a much needed break from constant worry.

Look after yourself and take each day as it comes, good or bad.

I've been quiet recently because I've had a small crisis recently. I knew things were getting worse and I was struggling to get through Christmas but I thought that with the right mental exercises I could get better.
I was hearing voices, like people calling my name from behind me but when you turn around there's no-one there. I saw movement in the corner of my eye but no-one was in the room. I started to get visions of my parents telling me to go and join them.
I got to the end of February and then made an attempt.
Ran my arm under hot water to raise a vein and then tried to open it from elbow to wrist. Luckily the tip of the vegetable knife was blunt so it didn't puncture the skin and the pain of the pressure snapped me out of the moment.
I spoke to my doctor and they've changed my medication from Sertraline to Mirtazapine. I've also been referred to my local authority mental health authorities.

So there you are. Under all the tit jokes and the bullshit stories, there's just me at the end. I don't know what's going to happen. My plans don't extend much more than getting to the end of the week. I'm hoping that things will get better but I'm not optimistic to be honest.

• Heart