The Depression Thread #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ive been advised by professionals to see a psychologist. My MH has been declining for years now with reasons unknown.
Im really want to know what I can expect when I go. Will they just talk to me about how I feel, will they try to find a cause? Just want to know what will happen..
Hi there! It’s really difficult to answer this question with little background info. Appointments vary from therapist to therapist, it really depends on the issue and the techniques used. Either way, try not too worry too much, most psychologists I’ve seen were quite friendly and willing to help. It might be useful to put your issues, problems and questions down on a piece of paper so you don’t get lost and can remember everything when they ask you. Best of luck!
I've just had my medication, citalopram, increased to 40mg and I'm really struggling with the side effects. Constantly dehydrated and I just can't sleep. This is stressing me out so now I have a lovely tension headache as well to boot. I take it everyday around the same time, 7am.

I know it's short term issues for a longer term gain but I'm doubting if it's worth the lack of sleep and this bastard headache. I'm also getting married in 6 weeks which is adding to the stress. Plus I now also have some lovely dark circles.

Has anyone else has this? Hiw long did it take for you to start sleeping again?

Thank you x
I’ve never taken citalopram but I had similar issues when on fluoxetine. It took me about 1,5–2 months to start sleeping properly. It’s definitely longer term gain as you’ve said. However, if the symptoms bother you that much, you might want to see your doctor to adjust the dose and/or the time you take your meds. Good luck!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Im on a bit of dip at the moment. I share custody of my children with their dad and I’ve just had 4 school free days with them. I was really looking forward to it but haven’t done half of the things. I’m really irritable and feel like everything is pushing my buttons. They are being quite hard work (constant bickering, not listening to me etc) but I feel like I’m wasting our time together and especially my eldest’s ‘childhood’ is slipping away from me and I can’t snap out of it and just enjoy the moment. I feel like I just retreat to staring at my phone.
I’ve tried a few meds but not really got on I need to contact my GP to try again but it feels like a huge effort to do that at the moment.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I really need to seek help but doing the usual male stuff and ignoring it! Im really worried that if i get diagnosed with depression it can affect things further down the line ie maybe insurance’s, any fun things when signing disclaimer’s like have you been diagnosed with any of the following etc 😭

• Heart
I really need to seek help but doing the usual male stuff and ignoring it! Im really worried that if i get diagnosed with depression it can affect things further down the line ie maybe insurance’s, any fun things when signing disclaimer’s like have you been diagnosed with any of the following etc 😭
I dont think it's ever affected my insurance other than critical illness cover excluding depression related issues.
Don't ignore it, my life has changed due to sertraline. You wouldn't ignore a bone sticking out of your leg so please don't ignore when something isn't right elsewhere.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
This thread hasn’t been active for a while, hopefully this means everyone on here is doing better than before ❤

I’m back on fluoxetine. Never thought I’d be happy about it but I am, the last time I used it it sorted me out like nothing else. Really not looking forward to side effects though…Any words of wisdom for me? I have been off meds for 2 years so I must have forgotten a lot. I got two packs, one is Prozac and the other is just called Fluoxetine, I think, I was told it’s essentially the same thing (a generic)? Is it okay to start taking brand-name medication and then switch to generics, or will there be a difference?
I’ve only just seen it but please absolutely go and get help. It’s not as scary as it sounds and can really change your life for the better ❤ I haven’t had any issues with insurances or any other documents since being diagnosed.

• Heart
I Will start cognitive behavioral therapy in two weeks. Hoping it will better my life

• Heart
This thread hasn’t been active for a while, hopefully this means everyone on here is doing better than before ❤

I’m back on fluoxetine. Never thought I’d be happy about it but I am, the last time I used it it sorted me out like nothing else. Really not looking forward to side effects though…Any words of wisdom for me? I have been off meds for 2 years so I must have forgotten a lot. I got two packs, one is Prozac and the other is just called Fluoxetine, I think, I was told it’s essentially the same thing (a generic)? Is it okay to start taking brand-name medication and then switch to generics, or will there be a difference?

I’ve only just seen it but please absolutely go and get help. It’s not as scary as it sounds and can really change your life for the better ❤ I haven’t had any issues with insurances or any other documents since being diagnosed.
I had always taken branded and then a new pharmacist gave me generics and I had no issues and half the price. See how you fare. Some may have fillers that cause (minor) side effects so you may prefer the branded. I know I was getting headaches with previous generic

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I had always taken branded and then a new pharmacist gave me generics and I had no issues and half the price. See how you fare. Some may have fillers that cause (minor) side effects so you may prefer the branded. I know I was getting headaches with previous generic
Thank you so much for your comment, it really put my mind at ease as I was so worried ☺

Anyway, I’m on my fifth day of fluoxetine and already feeling better. I know it’s mostly placebo effect but I’m still glad. Onwards and upwards from here, I hope 🤞🏻

• Heart
Thank you so much for your comment, it really put my mind at ease as I was so worried ☺

Anyway, I’m on my fifth day of fluoxetine and already feeling better. I know it’s mostly placebo effect but I’m still glad. Onwards and upwards from here, I hope 🤞🏻
Oh gosh I’m delighted it was any help! Meds are so expensive that if you get on ok with generic it’s madness to ever go near the branded. We can drive ourselves crazy (crazier?!) with researching side effects too. Remember, more people don’t suffer any side effects, or the medication wouldn’t be approved. So odds are in your favour. We only tend to hear from those who have had negative experiences.

I’ve learned to stay far away from any of it unless i actually start experiencing something myself and then it’s reassuring to discover others have suffered similar and it’s temporary etc.

I’m so glad you’re experiencing some relief already. The placebo effect isn’t to be scoffed at, it’s very powerful and scientifically valid.

• Heart
Oh gosh I’m delighted it was any help! Meds are so expensive that if you get on ok with generic it’s madness to ever go near the branded. We can drive ourselves crazy (crazier?!) with researching side effects too. Remember, more people don’t suffer any side effects, or the medication wouldn’t be approved. So odds are in your favour. We only tend to hear from those who have had negative experiences.

I’ve learned to stay far away from any of it unless i actually start experiencing something myself and then it’s reassuring to discover others have suffered similar and it’s temporary etc.

I’m so glad you’re experiencing some relief already. The placebo effect isn’t to be scoffed at, it’s very powerful and scientifically valid.
Thank you so much for your encouragement and support ❤ I’m only worried about side effects because I experienced some rather brutal ones the first time around, but I’ve heard you don’t necessarily suffer them each time you start your meds. I’m also on a higher dose this time, 40mg as opposed to 20mg, and I’m already more productive than I was last week.

• Heart
Has anyone been in treatment for dysthemia?
I will start the cognitive behavioral therapy soon.

one of the things I have to do is find a goal I would like to work on in life but I have no idea.

since Ive learned I have this I think about it a lot..

• Heart
Has anyone been in treatment for dysthemia?
I will start the cognitive behavioral therapy soon.

one of the things I have to do is find a goal I would like to work on in life but I have no idea.

I’ve not, but wishing you luck with it!

Would it help to talk through ideas for goals here? Totally understand if you’d rather not. It’s obvious but I would start with thinking, “ok, long term or short term?”

• Heart
I am not doing well tbh. Does anyone else know what I’m talking about when I say how depression really messes up your life?

The way my mind is at the moment, I don’t really care about anything. The “real me” still does though. But I just let everything get screwed over. It’s like a form of self-sabotage or ”mild” self-harm.

There‘s part of me that wants to pull though (thankfully), but the other part doesn’t care. I’ve stopped taking my antidepressants because I’m so done with them not working and just making me tired.

In the past I would look for an antidepressant with different side effects, and speak to my psychiatrist, and try that. But now I’ve just given up.

It’s so tit because I’ve started to have dreams and ambitions, but what’s the point, when I can’t even deal with adult responsibilities just now, and I don’t even know where to start, because I’ve just let so many things go wrong.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I’ve not, but wishing you luck with it!

Would it help to talk through ideas for goals here? Totally understand if you’d rather not. It’s obvious but I would start with thinking, “ok, long term or short term?”
Yes i think that would help because i really struggle with the goal part of it

• Heart

I would start by brainstorming small things that make you smile or make your day better. Or maybe there is something you always wanted to do that got cast aside for one reason or another?
I am not doing well tbh. Does anyone else know what I’m talking about when I say how depression really messes up your life?

The way my mind is at the moment, I don’t really care about anything. The “real me” still does though. But I just let everything get screwed over. It’s like a form of self-sabotage or ”mild” self-harm.

There‘s part of me that wants to pull though (thankfully), but the other part doesn’t care. I’ve stopped taking my antidepressants because I’m so done with them not working and just making me tired.

In the past I would look for an antidepressant with different side effects, and speak to my psychiatrist, and try that. But now I’ve just given up.

It’s so tit because I’ve started to have dreams and ambitions, but what’s the point, when I can’t even deal with adult responsibilities just now, and I don’t even know where to start, because I’ve just let so many things go wrong.
I know you said you don’t want to look for other meds but maybe you could reconsider this decision. I’m speaking from personal experience as I was in a very, very dark place just several days ago before I went on Prozac. I’m surprised (and even in mild disbelief) at how much better I feel. I certainly did not think it was possible anymore, and no amount of exercise or willpower could bring me to where I am now.
The worst thing about depression is how empty and hopeless it makes us feel. You might think that’s what you are like now, but it’s not you, your emotions or your new reality. It’s an illness, and a serious one at that. It’s difficult to treat, but difficult does not mean impossible. Please don’t give up, I know we all have days when we feel like this, but they won’t last forever. I believe in you and a brighter, happier future for you so you can live out your dreams. Sending you a hug ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I would start by brainstorming small things that make you smile or make your day better. Or maybe there is something you always wanted to do that got cast aside for one reason or another?

I know you said you don’t want to look for other meds but maybe you could reconsider this decision. I’m speaking from personal experience as I was in a very, very dark place just several days ago before I went on Prozac. I’m surprised (and even in mild disbelief) at how much better I feel. I certainly did not think it was possible anymore, and no amount of exercise or willpower could bring me to where I am now.
The worst thing about depression is how empty and hopeless it makes us feel. You might think that’s what you are like now, but it’s not you, your emotions or your new reality. It’s an illness, and a serious one at that. It’s difficult to treat, but difficult does not mean impossible. Please don’t give up, I know we all have days when we feel like this, but they won’t last forever. I believe in you and a brighter, happier future for you so you can live out your dreams. Sending you a hug ❤
i was thinking of starting with an exercise routine because it has always been something that I wanted but could never set myself to it.

Its just hard to think about what you want in life that is achievable. Like a Nice boyfriend would be great but I cant just go out and get one

• Heart
Anyone else taking fluoxetine (Prozac) or meds, and feel a bit better, but still feel completely empty on the inside. How do you deal with this? Or is it just a matter of counselling and time?

• Heart
Anyone else taking fluoxetine (Prozac) or meds, and feel a bit better, but still feel completely empty on the inside. How do you deal with this? Or is it just a matter of counselling and time?
What’s your dosage? The first time I took Prozac I was on 20mg and had all the side effects imaginable, this time around I take 40mg and I’m a completely different person with few to no side effects. In fact, I feel like I’m slowly becoming my pre-depression self, I never thought it would be possible.

Counselling can be very beneficial, but you have to work quite hard to find a therapist you can click with. I’ve found that talking to most of them just makes me feel worse, but I’ve also had a few positive experiences when they pointed out the root causes I wouldn’t have thought of. So unfortunately, you just have to try it and see for yourself.

• Heart
@Agent Cooper Hi 👋 years ago when I first took Prozac it was the most wonderful experience and for the first time in my life knew what it was like to feel like I was on the inside of my skin instead of all raw on the outside if that makes sense. I thought so this is what it's like to feel "normal". Of course in time the feeling wore off sadly. Oh I hope it goes well for you and no side effects. I never had any luckily.
I'm pretty low at the moment. Feeling old and crap and on blood pressure & statin tablets. I'm hoping it's just a blip and I'll get up again. I never know if I have true depression or it's part of Asperger's and ADD functioning. Also I get reverse SAD and bloody hate the bright sunshine and heat. Ugh.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.