The Depression Thread #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How would you explain to a receptionist at your doctors when they ask what’s the issue etc that you’re concerned about your mental health? I know it sounds really stupid but that’s the one major thing that’s putting me off ringing them because our receptionists aren’t that nice, but I really feel like I’m on the verge of a huge breakdown

TW-
Cancer
my dad has recently been diagnosed with oesophageal cancer & we find out the stage of it Monday coming up & last year my mum had a cancer scare, she had a melanoma a few years back, they got rid of it but she took a huge turn for the worst last year I was honestly worried of waking up and her not being here for how unwell she was, we’ve been having problems with one of our neighbours that’s causing stress and fear quite a lot (aggression aggressive behaviour, intimidation & stuff like that) along with this I’ve been having so much pain with my stomach & I know there’s something not right, my entire body aches every day (I’m 20 I don’t think it’s normal) sometimes I fall/legs just give way, my hair is falling out in huge clumps & every day I’m having these horrific head pains / migraines that are so bad I hate being here & having all this weight on me, so it feels like. I’m on fluoxetine 20mg & propranolol for anxiety and them little pink pills have saved me so many times but I’m having to take them way more often due to anxiety and my heart racing off it’s scary, my hands shake so so bad I don’t know why but I think I’ve got a tremor but feel like doctors won’t believe me but when I’ve been in hospitals etc waiting forresults a lot of the professionals picked up on how extreme my hands were shaking uncontrollably.

I’m hardly sleeping well which seems to be a ongoing thing but if I do manage to sleep it’s for a long time & I still wake up feeling ‘worn out’ I’m struggling even taking care of myself I couldn’t tell you the last time I brushed my hair and it’s been about two weeks since I even brushed my teeth which isn’t nice to read but I’m really struggling lately & I don’t know what to do

I’m more bloody scared of ringing my doctor to have to try and explain what the issue is to the receptionist because I get anxious I end up sort of stalling and not making sense at all. I’m randomly crying all the time, I have no idea why. I’m even crying right now. I can just be sat quiet, and the next minute I’m in absolute tears & Idon’t know why. I just feel so lost at the moment & there’s so much pressure in my head (I’ve been having this & pain in my head for 2/3 months, had a brain mri done and everything seemed okay) I feel like my heads going to explode every single day. I’m feeling so nauseas & sometimes even throwing up multiple times a week & have no idea why. I tried speaking to the doctor about it, they gave me some sickness tablets and that was that really.. then they wanted to do a review of why I’m even on them & im so scared of them taking me off them because of how bad the sickness I get is & nausea, they help me so much but I know something isn’t right with me but I don’t know how I push to get help. :(

• Heart
Reactions: 9
How would you explain to a receptionist at your doctors when they ask what’s the issue etc that you’re concerned about your mental health? I know it sounds really stupid but that’s the one major thing that’s putting me off ringing them because our receptionists aren’t that nice, but I really feel like I’m on the verge of a huge breakdown

TW-
Cancer
my dad has recently been diagnosed with oesophageal cancer & we find out the stage of it Monday coming up & last year my mum had a cancer scare, she had a melanoma a few years back, they got rid of it but she took a huge turn for the worst last year I was honestly worried of waking up and her not being here for how unwell she was, we’ve been having problems with one of our neighbours that’s causing stress and fear quite a lot (aggression aggressive behaviour, intimidation & stuff like that) along with this I’ve been having so much pain with my stomach & I know there’s something not right, my entire body aches every day (I’m 20 I don’t think it’s normal) sometimes I fall/legs just give way, my hair is falling out in huge clumps & every day I’m having these horrific head pains / migraines that are so bad I hate being here & having all this weight on me, so it feels like. I’m on fluoxetine 20mg & propranolol for anxiety and them little pink pills have saved me so many times but I’m having to take them way more often due to anxiety and my heart racing off it’s scary, my hands shake so so bad I don’t know why but I think I’ve got a tremor but feel like doctors won’t believe me but when I’ve been in hospitals etc waiting forresults a lot of the professionals picked up on how extreme my hands were shaking uncontrollably.

I’m hardly sleeping well which seems to be a ongoing thing but if I do manage to sleep it’s for a long time & I still wake up feeling ‘worn out’ I’m struggling even taking care of myself I couldn’t tell you the last time I brushed my hair and it’s been about two weeks since I even brushed my teeth which isn’t nice to read but I’m really struggling lately & I don’t know what to do

I’m more bloody scared of ringing my doctor to have to try and explain what the issue is to the receptionist because I get anxious I end up sort of stalling and not making sense at all. I’m randomly crying all the time, I have no idea why. I’m even crying right now. I can just be sat quiet, and the next minute I’m in absolute tears & Idon’t know why. I just feel so lost at the moment & there’s so much pressure in my head (I’ve been having this & pain in my head for 2/3 months, had a brain mri done and everything seemed okay) I feel like my heads going to explode every single day. I’m feeling so nauseas & sometimes even throwing up multiple times a week & have no idea why. I tried speaking to the doctor about it, they gave me some sickness tablets and that was that really.. then they wanted to do a review of why I’m even on them & im so scared of them taking me off them because of how bad the sickness I get is & nausea, they help me so much but I know something isn’t right with me but I don’t know how I push to get help. :(
I’m really sorry, I haven’t read your whole post, but wanted to answer your first question.

Have you checked if there’s an option for an econsult? Usually it’s on the website, or NHS App if you have that linked to your surgery.
That way you can write in there a brief message (eg concerned about mental health, need support with xyz) and it’ll be allocated directly to a GP and you’ll be booked an appointment - they’ll see the info you’ve given before your appointment.
My surgery book an initial ‘review’ appt for the GP to look at the econsult but often I get a phone call at that time; otherwise I get a text or call with a face to face appointment. xx

• Heart
Reactions: 7

TW-
Cancer

Hello Sweetheart.. I don't know how to help you.. only here to say I'm on the same medication as you... diagnosed with ptsd...and I struggle to keep my head above water more than I care to admit...
The only advise I have and it comes from my heart and from experience...and I fail miserably to take my own advise....
Try to be lovely to yourself... forgive yourself for each time you upset everyone around you... they don't understand ... but everyone who has taken the time to reply to this thread I imagine does. Giving you big hugs and love xxxxx

• Heart
Reactions: 6

TW-
Cancer

People have given some lovely advice and support 💗

I’m so sorry you’re going through this, and our MH can have a huge impact on our physical well-being. I struggle occasionally with working out this out!

The drs receptionists (despite their reputation 😬), should be well-trained in taking calls from those of us with MH issues. I remember one call when I knew I needed help and got the usual ‘no appointments’ I just burst into tears, she asked what it was for and I just kept it simple and said my mental health, and I was able to have a telephone appointment that morning.

You need to be listened to and if you don’t feel you are, ask if they can refer you to a local well-being service or anything similar. It sounds a bit like a plaster giving you sickness tablets rather than figuring out what is causing you to feel that way.

Maybe before your Drs appointment write a few bullet points of what you’ve written in your post so you can try and get it all covered. Or as much as poss.

As said above, be kind to yourself, you’ve made a huge step by asking on here.

Sending lots of love xx

• Heart
I'm meant to be travelling 4 hours for a long weekend with one friend to see another and I don't think I can face it. I'm mentally exhausted and I feel like I'm barely dragging myself through the days. But then there's a voice in my head saying this is why I'm miserable and can't maintain connections with people because I'm not right and I can't just suck it up and go and have a nice time on a trip. I wish I was a normal person.

• Heart
  • Sad
I don’t have any real good friends that check up on me. I am so lonely. I don’t know what I’ve done to deserve this. I just wish people would care about me. My kids are my life and they are the ones that keep me here.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I'm meant to be travelling 4 hours for a long weekend with one friend to see another and I don't think I can face it. I'm mentally exhausted and I feel like I'm barely dragging myself through the days. But then there's a voice in my head saying this is why I'm miserable and can't maintain connections with people because I'm not right and I can't just suck it up and go and have a nice time on a trip. I wish I was a normal person.
It’s so hard pushing yourself into something and I do find sometimes when I manage to get myself out it’s better than I expected, it’s just hard to get there.
Be kind to yourself, can you speak to your friend who you’re travelling with about how you feel?

Reactions: 4
I don’t have any real good friends that check up on me. I am so lonely. I don’t know what I’ve done to deserve this. I just wish people would care about me. My kids are my life and they are the ones that keep me here.
I am so glad you have your kids. They sound truly special.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Hi everyone! I haven’t posted here for a long time, but I hope everyone is as okay as can be ❤

I have a simple question to you all: is there anyone else here who just doesn’t react to therapy? I have tried counselling and it did nothing, it made me feel worse if anything. I have tried CBT as well, nothing again. I kept doing my homework, all of these exercises, but they just did not help, the very moment I stopped doing them I would go back to my old patterns. The only thing that helped me was Prozac — I wasn’t happy, I was numb and it was good enough. I just can’t decide whether I want to get through the side effects to achieve this kind of numbness again. I still find it hard to believe that I will never be my old self again no matter what I do.

Any words of advice for me?

• Heart
  • Sad
Hi everyone! I haven’t posted here for a long time, but I hope everyone is as okay as can be ❤

I have a simple question to you all: is there anyone else here who just doesn’t react to therapy? I have tried counselling and it did nothing, it made me feel worse if anything. I have tried CBT as well, nothing again. I kept doing my homework, all of these exercises, but they just did not help, the very moment I stopped doing them I would go back to my old patterns. The only thing that helped me was Prozac — I wasn’t happy, I was numb and it was good enough. I just can’t decide whether I want to get through the side effects to achieve this kind of numbness again. I still find it hard to believe that I will never be my old self again no matter what I do.

Sorry to hear you’re not feeling yourself :(
Therapy doesn’t seem to work for me either, and CBT I thought was an absolute waste of time BUT I have heard many people say they love it.
I think my problem was that CBT and therapy made me think too much, I didn’t actually want to deep delve into things.
Have you tried a different medication? Not sure if you’re in the UK or not- but I know a few people on citalopram (think it’s celexa) Doesn’t numb as much but imo let’s you not ruminate on things, and pushes bad thoughts out your mind.
As much as I’d love exercise, healthy eating and therapy to work, sometimes I think brains just need a little tweek with some medicine.
I do also sometimes think you just need to find the right therapist?
Sending you love xx

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I have tried counselling and it did nothing, it made me feel worse if anything. I have tried CBT as well, nothing again. I kept doing my homework, all of these exercises, but they just did not help, the very moment I stopped doing them I would go back to my old patterns. The only thing that helped me was Prozac — I wasn’t happy, I was numb and it was good enough. I just can’t decide whether I want to get through the side effects to achieve this kind of numbness again. I still find it hard to believe that I will never be my old self again no matter what I do.

Think of it as regular exercise — once you stop working out you lose your gains. I don’t think therapy “fixes” anyone for good. It gives you shiny new tools for handling life.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you’re not feeling yourself :(
Therapy doesn’t seem to work for me either, and CBT I thought was an absolute waste of time BUT I have heard many people say they love it.
I think my problem was that CBT and therapy made me think too much, I didn’t actually want to deep delve into things.
Have you tried a different medication? Not sure if you’re in the UK or not- but I know a few people on citalopram (think it’s celexa) Doesn’t numb as much but imo let’s you not ruminate on things, and pushes bad thoughts out your mind.
As much as I’d love exercise, healthy eating and therapy to work, sometimes I think brains just need a little tweek with some medicine.
I do also sometimes think you just need to find the right therapist?
Sending you love xx
I wholeheartedly agree with this. Medication has its downsides, but I’m generally up to anything that will help me fight my bad thoughts…I would gladly fight them myself if I could, but more often than not, I just can’t. I do agree about therapy making us think too much, I don’t think it’s that helpful if you are already prone to overthinking (I know I am 🤷‍♀️). I haven’t tried citalopram, I will look into it — sounds promising!
Thank you so much for your advice and good wishes, I really appreciate it 🥰
Think of it as regular exercise — once you stop working out you lose your gains. I don’t think therapy “fixes” anyone for good. It gives you shiny new tools for handling life.
Thank you! I know this is true, and as much I’m willing to accept this and keep on working, sometimes I just don’t see any point in handling life at all IYKWIM, let alone doing exercises. I wonder whether that is something that can be fixed.

• Heart
I wholeheartedly agree with this. Medication has its downsides, but I’m generally up to anything that will help me fight my bad thoughts…I would gladly fight them myself if I could, but more often than not, I just can’t. I do agree about therapy making us think too much, I don’t think it’s that helpful if you are already prone to overthinking (I know I am 🤷‍♀️). I haven’t tried citalopram, I will look into it — sounds promising!
Thank you so much for your advice and good wishes, I really appreciate it 🥰

Thank you! I know this is true, and as much I’m willing to accept this and keep on working, sometimes I just don’t see any point in handling life at all IYKWIM, let alone doing exercises. I wonder whether that is something that can be fixed.
Are there changes you can make to your environment or lifestyle? I grew up in a family and town that was not conducive to being happy.* When I moved away from each of those things, I felt an immense sense of relief from misery but I did not know how to enjoy myself at all. It took a long time for me to learn to have fun in life. I have a few dumb interests that bring me joy & give me something to be excited about.

I’m always picking up tools and putting them back down, it’s part of my process. I liked the Sa Ta Na Ma meditation. My mind responds really well to it. Maybe you could try it? You chant “Sa, Ta, Na, Ma” out loud for two minutes, whisper it for two minutes, think it for four minutes, whisper it for two, say it for two. It’s a reflection on creation if you’re wondering what it means.

BTW I’ve missed you in this thread 🧡 💛 💕

*I had a period where I was treated for depression but don’t think it was my diagnosis if that makes sense. As best as I can remember, I’mclinically anxious and that’s all. I have done CBT though from my depression episode.

• Heart
Just to chime in on CBT. I haven't done it myself, but I know that it is felt to be more helpful with behaviours as it says on the box. I can't imagine being depressed and it helping anything to that end. For me, I have been in therapy for more decades than I care to remember, but as someone who bottles things, packs them away in a box in brain for another day and doesn't tell anyone anything, talk therapy has helped. Having said that, I was at a point where I said enough of this crap I have to spew! @Agent Cooper, have you ever kept a diary/journal? Writing down your crap day and the things that bother you can help. @Slaybutter's suggestion of meditation is a good idea as well. You can find a short meditation clips on YouTube to dip your toe in. I know that is something I should dedicate my time to and I don't.

Take care of yourself, don't be hard on yourself either. Basic things like cleaning out the fridge, going for a walk or doing basic hygiene are enough for now. 🤗

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Are there changes you can make to your environment or lifestyle? I grew up in a family and town that was not conducive to being happy.* When I moved away from each of those things, I felt an immense sense of relief from misery but I did not know how to enjoy myself at all. It took a long time for me to learn to have fun in life. I have a few dumb interests that bring me joy & give me something to be excited about.

I’m always picking up tools and putting them back down, it’s part of my process. I liked the Sa Ta Na Ma meditation. My mind responds really well to it. Maybe you could try it? You chant “Sa, Ta, Na, Ma” out loud for two minutes, whisper it for two minutes, think it for four minutes, whisper it for two, say it for two. It’s a reflection on creation if you’re wondering what it means.

BTW I’ve missed you in this thread 🧡 💛 💕

*I had a period where I was treated for depression but don’t think it was my diagnosis if that makes sense. As best as I can remember, I’mclinically anxious and that’s all. I have done CBT though from my depression episode.
Thank you so much, I really appreciate you saying that 🥺❤ I’ve missed the lovely community we have on this thread too, everyone is so supportive!

You are so spot on about my environment — I live in a big polluted city with lots of people and little sunshine, it’s not the nicest place to be but I’m pretty much stuck here until I find a remote job. My family/close friends circle is not perfect but mostly okay, I guess. I’m in the process of letting some (toxic) people go, it takes time and courage but I know it’s for the best.

I haven’t actually tried meditating before but it sounds great, reminds me of the Jesus prayer. I have tried it just now on my commute, it’s surprisingly calming.

Thank you so much for your encouragement and advice Slaybutter 🥰
Just to chime in on CBT. I haven't done it myself, but I know that it is felt to be more helpful with behaviours as it says on the box. I can't imagine being depressed and it helping anything to that end. For me, I have been in therapy for more decades than I care to remember, but as someone who bottles things, packs them away in a box in brain for another day and doesn't tell anyone anything, talk therapy has helped. Having said that, I was at a point where I said enough of this crap I have to spew! @Agent Cooper, have you ever kept a diary/journal? Writing down your crap day and the things that bother you can help. @Slaybutter's suggestion of meditation is a good idea as well. You can find a short meditation clips on YouTube to dip your toe in. I know that is something I should dedicate my time to and I don't.

Take care of yourself, don't be hard on yourself either. Basic things like cleaning out the fridge, going for a walk or doing basic hygiene are enough for now. 🤗
Thank you so much for your kind words and advice! ❤ I have indeed tried journaling but I haven’t found it that helpful as I can’t help but cringe at what I’ve written…Self-acceptance is something I struggle with the most. I’m quite lost right now as I’ve worked so hard to get where I am but the way things unfold doesn’t quite live up to my expectations. I think what I actually need is accepting that I can’t control everything and settling for less. I know I am really hard on myself most of the time.

Sorry for this ‘woe is me’ post everyone! I hope everyone on this thread is doing okay today ❤

• Heart
Thank you so much, I really appreciate you saying that 🥺❤ I’ve missed the lovely community we have on this thread too, everyone is so supportive!

You are so spot on about my environment — I live in a big polluted city with lots of people and little sunshine, it’s not the nicest place to be but I’m pretty much stuck here until I find a remote job. My family/close friends circle is not perfect but mostly okay, I guess. I’m in the process of letting some (toxic) people go, it takes time and courage but I know it’s for the best.

I haven’t actually tried meditating before but it sounds great, reminds me of the Jesus prayer. I have tried it just now on my commute, it’s surprisingly calming.

Thank you so much for your kind words and advice! ❤ I have indeed tried journaling but I haven’t found it that helpful as I can’t help but cringe at what I’ve written…Self-acceptance is something I struggle with the most. I’m quite lost right now as I’ve worked so hard to get where I am but the way things unfold doesn’t quite live up to my expectations. I think what I actually need is accepting that I can’t control everything and settling for less. I know I am really hard on myself most of the time.

Sorry for this ‘woe is me’ post everyone! I hope everyone on this thread is doing okay today ❤
It’s not a woe is me post, this feels a safe space to share and a wonderful community of support.
I can’t really add to the others, but if looking for meditation the Insight Timer app is brilliant and most of it’s free.

• Heart

I’m so glad it helps! just keep trying new things. you could also see if your health provider can refer you to something other than CBT ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Ive been advised by professionals to see a psychologist. My MH has been declining for years now with reasons unknown.
Im really want to know what I can expect when I go. Will they just talk to me about how I feel, will they try to find a cause? Just want to know what will happen..

I've just had my medication, citalopram, increased to 40mg and I'm really struggling with the side effects. Constantly dehydrated and I just can't sleep. This is stressing me out so now I have a lovely tension headache as well to boot. I take it everyday around the same time, 7am.

I know it's short term issues for a longer term gain but I'm doubting if it's worth the lack of sleep and this bastard headache. I'm also getting married in 6 weeks which is adding to the stress. Plus I now also have some lovely dark circles.

Has anyone else has this? Hiw long did it take for you to start sleeping again?

Thank you x

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.