The Circle UK #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Same as a white English and any English person putting on a Scottish accent would be deemed offensive.

Reactions: 1
Same as a white English and any English person putting on a Scottish accent would be deemed offensive.
It's not though. The Scottish accent has the piss taken out of it all the time. Its deemed ok. I wonder why that could be....

Reactions: 4
So it would be problematic too for an Indian to do it?
Depends where in India they are 🤨

It's not though. The Scottish accent has the piss taken out of it all the time. Its deemed ok. I wonder why that could be....
Who deems it ok? I’m sure alot take offence to it.

Anyway though.. I guess Dot is going home, surely no one other than Felix will block Tally.

Reactions: 2
Not half as boring as the Syed character. My point stands. Utter outrage if white man being doing Syed voice on television.
Rightly so.

The two are not comparable at all. Please educate yourself on racial sociopolitics. I know you think that you are being "woke" and/or making quite a point but, ironically, you are only highlighting the attitude of white entitlement & being quite ignorant.

You can't say "forget skin colour" when putting on a comedy accent is only deemed offensive in terms of the accent and the skin colour of the person doing it.
As stated already skin colour doesn't determine race. White people can be Bangladeshi. If they speak with the accent or "put it on" it wouldn't be offensive because they are Bangladeshi. Same for anybody else.

I have an Indian friend, who is also Bangladeshi funnily enough, she was born & grew up down south here in England and she is also Scottish on one parent's side. In any given conversation she may switch between a thick Scottish accent to a Bangladeshi accent and a London/Luton accent - all of these are her natural dialects. They may change depending on who she is speaking to or what words she is saying. None of it is offensive because it is her heritage.

I am a northerner, when I was younger I spoke with a heavy scouse accent - it's diminished a bit with age and moving around but it comes back occasionally when I am speaking to people from my hometown or I am excited etc... if I was to start putting on a broadly Indian or thick Scottish accent then yes it would be offensive. The same as if she was to start putting on a thick scouse one; because each others accents are not our part of our own heritages, we have not adopted those accents naturally through heritage or long term exposure, therefore it is offensive to "put them on".

So it would be problematic too for an Indian to do it?
The same applies. India is large country with a variety of accents. Consider how many accents there are in England, India is much larger and the population speak a large variety of languages and dialects, each with differing accents. The same as there is no one sole "English" accent like depicted in American shows and the like, there is no one sole "Indian" accent either. The fact you need this explained to you should tell you that you need to reconsider your thoughts & education on this topic. Please do.

ANYWAY
really torn on who I want to go, not sure Dorothy is worth keeping but would kinda like to see Tally go - would also kinda like to see Tally stay and some tit kick off between her and Manrika over the ratings somehow 🤔😂

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
My ratings are:
1) Syed - I think he is funny I just wish he didn’t like Manrika 😂
2) Tally - she’s really grown on me she was my least favourite to begin with
3) Felix - think he is clever and playing Manrika well which I think is good since Manrika has everyone for her
4) Gemma - I think I prefer catfish to the real people as I like to see how they try and get a way with things. I definitely see her going next I don’t think there is anyway she won’t. Even if some people are on her side a bit like Andy, I think she’ll still be at the bottom of Andys save list. Tally is the only one I see who would want to save her.
5) Vithun - He is a bit boring but I think he is playing the game well keeping a low profile but also making allies. I do find him funny on occasion.
6) Andy - I like him but the whole tell me if you are a catfish thing annoys me.
7) Dot - boring but I dislike Manrika more
8) Manrika - she’s playing a good game but I can’t stand her

Oh please, that’s taking it a bit far and why “white English and any English”? English is English no matter your race or heritage if you’re born there you are English. English and Scottish people are from the same country, it’s like saying people from London’s can’t do a Brummy accent or American and visa versa we are all westerners and the majority are similar races and heritage.

It’s not right for a westerner to mimick someone from non western parts of the world because the majority are a completely different race and heritage, that’s when it becomes offensive.

Reactions: 7
Oh please, that’s taking it a bit far and why “white English and any English”? English is English no matter your race or heritage if you’re born there you are English. English and Scottish people are from the same country, it’s like saying people from London’s can’t do a Brummy accent or American and visa versa we are all westerners and the majority are similar races and heritage.

It’s not right for a westerner to mimick someone from non western parts of the world because the majority are a completely different race and heritage, that’s when it becomes offensive.
I said white English and any English purely because thicko wasn’t understanding any other way I put it.

Mimicking any language that is not your own can be deemed offensive

I said white English and any English purely because thicko wasn’t understanding any other way I put it.

Mimicking any accent that is not your own can be deemed offensive

Reactions: 3
Not half as boring as the Syed character. My point stands. Utter outrage if white man being doing Syed voice on television.
But it’s not so there is little point saying it would cause outrage if it was different.

I liked Manrika, but I’m shocked at her voting tactics now.

Reactions: 8
Mimicking any language that is not your own can be deemed offensive
There’s a difference between language and accent, I have a mixed accent so do many people.... is that offensive?!

What about all the actors, all mimick western accents don't they, there’s TikTok trends of it the list goes on.

Reactions: 3
There’s a difference between language and accent, I have a mixed accent so do many people.... is that offensive?!

What about all the actors, all mimick western accents don't they, there’s TikTok trends of it the list goes on.
I didn’t mean to say language hence the edit. Having a mixed accent comes from many factors - if you’re purposely putting the accent on then yes it could be deemed offensive. However I don’t believe someone who comes from Bengali heritage doing a Bengali accent is.

Reactions: 5
I didn’t mean to say language hence the edit. Having a mixed accent comes from many factors - if you’re purposely putting the accent on then yes it could be deemed offensive. However I don’t believe someone who comes from Bengali heritage doing a Bengali accent is.
Then neither is most of the population of the U.K. as our heratige is all mixed, none of us are 100% English, 100% Scottish, 100% Welsh, 100% Irish.

Then neither is most of the population of the U.K. as our heratige is all mixed, none of us are 100% English, 100% Scottish, 100% Welsh, 100% Irish.
No but the rest of the percentage for the majority of us is so small that we either aren’t aware or have never experienced that side and have been born and raised as 100%. Hashu has grown up in a Bengali speaking household.

His accent doesn't offend me because I know multiple people who have an English accent but their family don't. When they are at work/at school with other English people they'll use their English accent and when they are with their family from India, Pakistan, parts of Africa etc, they will use that one.

My manager (a very lovely professional woman) lives in North London but is from Nigeria originally. She sounds like a Londoner at all times around us, but if she quotes her mum or dad she will put on their Nigerian accent to do it. She's also said when she goes to Nigeria to visit family she will revert back to that accent for a while.

Yes of course if it was a white man who randomly picked a photo of an Asian man and put on an accent, that would be awful, but for someone from that heritage to do so (when he has based the character on his uncle/family friend) I don't think it should be an issue.

Reactions: 15
I'm not sure why you keep bringing this up.

Hashu is British Bangladeshi and playing his uncle. He's using his uncle's accent because he's playing a character. He's grown up in a British-Bengali household and clearly proud of his heritage and family.

He isn't a white man putting on a Bangladeshi accent and you know this. If that was the case then yeah go off. But this is not what's happening.

Reactions: 26
Syed to win 100%!
Also like Hunter, Felix and Tally. Like Andy but he’s starting to annoy me. Don’t like Manrika but at least she’s creating some good drama. Vithun and Dot are just dull.

I'm not sure why you keep bringing this up.

Hashu is British Bangladeshi and playing his uncle. He's using his uncle's accent because he's playing a character. He's grown up in a British-Bengali household and clearly proud of his heritage and family.

He isn't a white man putting on a Bangladeshi accent and you know this. If that was the case then yeah go off. But this is not what's happening.
"If it was a white man putting on the accent..." reminds me a bit of "if my grandmother had wheels she would have been a bicycle" 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 18
So if a white person puts on a strong comedy Indian accent with a level of broken English they don't personally speak with , that is mocking the Indian accent. But if a non white person does it then that's cool. Ridiculous double standard.
bottom line is hashu/syed isn’t “mocking” the accent lol no point going back and forth if you’re gonna be too ignorant to get your head around the simple facts😴

Reactions: 16
So if a white person puts on a strong comedy Indian accent with a level of broken English they don't personally speak with , that is mocking the Indian accent. But if a non white person does it then that's cool. Ridiculous double standard.
notice how you're the only person on this thread with that opinion think that says a lot when literally everyone is telling you it's fine lol

Reactions: 12
I would be so juicy if they revealed what ratings everyone gave. I wouldn’t like them to do that for every rating, but on this occasion it’d be like dropping a grenade into the circle 👀
I was thinking that. Tally would be raging if she knew and I think Manrika would lose the credibility she had with any of the others. As irritating as I find Tally, her remaining in, will create more interesting viewing than Nana Dot, sadly. I'd also love for them to find out Manrika painted Gemmas picture, to show that she is playing the game and anything she says should be taken with a pinch of salt. She would make a brilliant pantomime villain lol

Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.