The Chateau Diaries - Stephanie Jarvis

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've just read an awful comment in Stephanie's latest video.
About Dan's teeth !
Someone said his teeth are so bad that they should organise a fundraising to help him to get a perfect smile. The comment says they should do this discreetly.
How dare they !
PS His wife read the comments section.
I was going mention exactly that. I was astounded - what an absolute cheek (there are other, rather stronger words).

• Sad
Reactions: 7
About Dan's teeth !
Someone said his teeth are so bad that they should organise a fundraising to help him to get a perfect smile. The comment says they should do this discreetly.
How dare they !
That's disgusting, these people are crazy! They behave as if the Lalanders are their pets or dolls that they can dress up and style the way they wish. God, and Dan of all people, the nicest of them all.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
About Dan's teeth !
How dare they !
That is a “batshit crazy” comment on the video. I wonder if you can just turn off YouTube comments - these ‘fans’ are nuts!

Reactions: 6
Is it just me or does the fact that Hanni set up that camera to watch the court yard progress a little disturbing. She clearly hadn’t told Stephanie “the owner” & it’s basically spying on dan/visitors & any shenanigans that may go on outside. If she has done this has she set up any more ? I just heard an ad on the radio for a company called ring who are now doing indoor & outdoor cameras easy to install & managed by your mobile phone 🧐😧🎧

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Some random thoughts, in no particular order of importance or chronology of Lalande Vlog Productions. This is in addition to my reply to @Calvignac's about the jawdroppingly crass comment left by a viewer about Dan's teeth.

• I wish Stelhanie would stop the ridiculous wafting about in her dressing gown. I suppose it's all part of her USP of quirky and kooky, but it looks ridiculous. And plunging into the undergrowth dressed in pyjamas, wellies and overcoat? Who does that? Curb your childlike excitement over a digger for a moment, change into jeans, a sweat shirt, pull on your wellies and away you go.
  • Hanni's continued presence is vaguely intriguing. She is slightly irritating, like an annoying fly buzzing around ones hair. The identikit dressing gowns was odd. My money for her lengthy stay is on her helping steer Stephanie through the legal minefields in relation to the new formal arrangements for the running of Lalande. Okay, Hanni isn't a French lawyer but her fluency in the language could be helpful even when S is dealing with her own French lawyer: one can be colloquially and idiomatically fluent but find the subtleties and nuances of legal terminology mystifying. Also, although Stephanie is clearly as sharp as a tack about some things, I think perhaps she lacks a bit of commonsense sense. (The business of the lake and the Water Police is a case in point.)
  • The Chateau Diary vlogs are only a condensed, edited version of life at the Chateau. Video vignettes. I don't suppose for one minute it is all sweetness and ligh, and such relentless jollity is too exhausting to contemplate! It's all a bit smoke and mirrors. Not deceitful but certainly an illusion. For every 30 mins of video output, there are probably hours and hours of "normal" activities going on, people beavering away at whatever their project might be.
  • Some of the "volunteers" are obviously quite happy to appear on camera and take to it, which is fair enough and they fit into Lalande central casting. Some clearly seem ill at ease but go along with it (Davey the super quiet architect/landscape designer looked terrified until he started talking about the pergola in the walled garden and then the best way to landscape the lawns, etc). Some fall into the first category up to a point but endeavour to become a star turn (Tomas).
  • It's all good fun watching this rather grand (actually, it's not grand but it does present an aura of grandeur) reality tv meets soap opera unfold, but shouldn't be taken too seriously, which sensible people realise. Then you get the super fans, the ardent admirers and the devout followers who have bought into it all and think iwhat they see in the vlogs is real and they, the viewer, are part of this reality.
  • Stephanie is now so busy creating and editing vlog content that I don't see how she can be as actively involved in day to day projects at the chateau. Which might lay the way for causing resentment with some, however much they enjoy working there.
  • Cadeaux at the Chateau has spiralled completely out of control. A runaway train of giving. I read some of the comments posted on YouTube beneath the announcement that this week's present unwrapping was first going to be late and then postponed until next week. I'm paraphrasing, but there are comments along the lines that it's such a shame not to see gifts being opened because it means so much to the giver to see the reaction to their gift. What utter tosh. Another person said that people who were giving items from their own (small, maybe just starting out) businesses appreciate the exposure. So you have people sending something for commercial exposure and other people sending more and more extravagant presents simply so that they can bask in the glory of their gift being gushed over, at the same time perhaps encouraging others to seek out presents way beyond their means simply to out-cadeaux someone else, Madness. (In fairness, there was at least one poster who said they couldn't see what the problem was if the usual unwrapping had gone awry...they got leapt upon!)
  • I cannot see how possibly elements of the doomed, sorry delayed, present-unwrapping can be reshot. How can you replicate any vestige of spontaneity as the content of a parcel is revealed. If the problem is the audio, scrub the dodgy sound and show it with a voiceover.
Strange as it may seem from the above, I really do enjoy the vlogs, specofically the ones which focus on projects inside and outside the chateau, or Stephanie's one-off historical tutorials (not sure what else to call them!). She has a natural flair for presenting information in a really engaging way. But some of the content, especially the dreaded cadeaux nonsense, just seems an abundance of faux frivolity and endless trips to brocantes, etc begins to pall. How many tablecloths, napkins, dinner services does Lalande actually need?

I didn't start out to write quite so much. But I have been mulling over bits and bobs floating around which have all come together at once...possibly not very coherently. You are spared my further thoughts about Michael Petherick!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
I just discovered this forum yesterday and am totally engrossed! Such a relief to find others have been thinking along the same lines as me regarding how, despite Stephanie, Isabelle, Cat, Selmar and Dan being delightful and bringing me great pleasure, others aspects of chateau life are a bit unsettling eg. cadeaux, Brenda, Hanni etc. Just wanted to say how I agree with most comments on here and it’s a relief to see people making ( mostly) measured and constructive comments without being sycophantic or nasty. Long may it continue!

Reactions: 17
@NotAChatelaine I've just watched the new video and I felt uncomfortable with the game Stephanie was clearly playing with the men in her pyjamas. I don't usually notice this sort of attitude but this time, it was quite obvious. Like a 16 year-old girl trying to impress grown up men, if you see my point.
Oh please, please, tell us your thoughts about Michael P. ! 😂

@Calvignac
Here’s what I think about Michael P for what it’s worth: I think he is a perfectly nice guy who is really quite talented in a number of areas. I think some of his vlogs have been fine eg. Beatrix Potter house visit but nice as he is, some people don’t have the presentation skills and all round charisma as Stephanie has. She’s always going to be a hard act to follow. As someone said on here, she makes it look easy but it isn’t. I don’t blame chateau dwellers for looking for ways to earn a living but it does feel a bit like too many have jumped on the bandwagon. Remember that scene where at least 3 people were vlogging in the kitchen simultaneously! I don’t see Michael and his family as ‘grifters’ as has been suggested on here. They just don’t quite have what SJ has in spades including the ability to create engaging content, albeit a bit wobbly at times but all the better for it!

Reactions: 5
@NotAChatelaine I've just watched the new video and I felt uncomfortable with the game Stephanie was clearly playing with the men in her pyjamas. I don't usually notice this sort of attitude but this time, it was quite obvious. Like a 16 year-old girl trying to impress grown up men, if you see my point.
Totally get your point and agree. It is uncomfortable to watch. Most of the chaps working at the Chateau are probably used to this odd affectation, and just ignore her or don't even notice. I always think it's slightly odd that she "receives visitors"'in her bedroom when she's lying in bed wearing her nightie and working on (yet another) vlog.

I really don't think I should share my thoughts on Michael Petherick because however I say what I want to say it's going to sound as tho I'm a snooty cow!

She's always done this, especially with male visitors and friends, and I've always found it uncomfortable because most of these men are married or in relationships. Dan seems rather uncomfortable about it. Again, it takes only a few minutes to put on proper clothes, and she literally lives there, so it seems like a conscious choice to run around in robes, pjs or even lace nighties. Marie also dresses sort of Bohemian, but I never see it as performative, more just a general hippy-esque carefree attitude, but with Stephanie, it seems a conscious choice, especially since she needs to point it out to the men around her. It's not about showing flesh or whatever, but drawing attention to it and mostly only when (already taken) men are around is what makes it weird to me. I'd not be very pleased if I knew my builder husband worked in a house where the owner runs around in flimsy silk robes all day.

Really, Stephanie can wear whatever she wants. It may not be our taste/style but she likes to be at home in her PJs and it is her home, ultimately. Also, it seems like all the men in her life are very respectful (as they should be!) and really I don't see a big problem with it.

It also seems like Stephanie is quite a night owl and stays in bed for most of the morning (I can totally relate, I am not a morning person either). She also seems to do most of her work/editing from her bed. As a fellow lady who likes to stay in bed most of the morning, I can totally see how you end up going about the house in your PJs. I've definitely had to greet delivery people and plumbers in my dressing gown if they come when I'm still in my "slow" phase of the day, partly because I don't want to keep people waiting! I think it's nice that people bring her tea/flowers while she's working from her bed. (Probably not good for her back though!)

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Of course, Stephanie does what she wants at home. And she does.
Maybe it's a problem of cultural difference.
It can be seen as self respect and respect for the others in some countries (like France).
In Ireland where I live, it's not uncommon to see women in their PJ's or slippers in the street - and even for the school run.

Reactions: 4
Really, Stephanie can wear whatever she wants. It may not be our taste/style but she likes to be at home in her PJs and it is her home, ultimately. Also, it seems like all the men in her life are very respectful (as they should be!) and really I don't see a big problem with it.

It also seems like Stephanie is quite a night owl and stays in bed for most of the morning (I can totally relate, I am not a morning person either). She also seems to do most of her work/editing from her bed. As a fellow lady who likes to stay in bed most of the morning, I can totally see how you end up going about the house in your PJs. I've definitely had to greet delivery people and plumbers in my dressing gown if they come when I'm still in my "slow" phase of the day, partly because I don't want to keep people waiting! I think it's nice that people bring her tea/flowers while she's working from her bed. (Probably not good for her back though!)
She can wear whatever she wants, but I can comment on it however I want. To me, it's odd to run around in nighties when there are married men around. I'm a night owl and work from home, but I put on proper clothes (which could be leggings and a shirt, it's not about it being fancy) when there are repairmen or similar people visiting. I really doubt any one of you runs around your house and tells a bunch of married men repeatedly that you are wearing a robe/your pjs, making sure they get a good look at your body. Come ON! It's a completely different scenario from having the odd delivery man see you in your robe or even driving the kids to school in pjs and slippers. It's deliberate is my point. I kind of preferred this forum when it wasn't so many fans here, sigh. Maybe my snarky self needs to look up that Guru Gossip forum hahaha.

• Haha
I have no problem whatsoever with her being in pyjamas, nightie or dressing gown. Generally her night attire covers her from head to toe and it's hardly sexy - in fact she looks much better when she's dressed. I honestly don't think she does it to get male attention either; I think she is more like my children were when they were small and there were exciting things going on and they were way too busy playing to bother with something as tedious as getting dressed. I wish I could have Stephanie's "I don't give a toss about the way I look" attitude - it must be incredibly liberating to not worry about such stuff. It's just another thing I love about her.

Ps @pettyicequeen I promise I'll stop defending Stephanie quite so much when the next Cadeaux at the Chateau is aired :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
There are plenty of things I find strange with the vlogs and how the chateau is being run, especially now that she's got such a huge following. I just wanted to say that I didn't want to judge too harshly how she dressed. Stephanie definitely has exhibitionist tendencies, for sure. She's constantly showing off. I mean... she's filming herself and putting it online for everyone to see. So you have to be a certain type of extroverted and a bit narcissistic to do that! She even edits the video herself. I can't imagine having to watch myself on a loop to be a fulltime vlogger - that would be horrible.

Agree with you @SableOnBlonde about Cat 😊 I bet she was Head Girl/captain of the hockey team at boarding school as well. Don’t you just love her! On other matters, thank goodness Stephanie hired the digger, was getting worried about Dan being on the verge of exhaustion, being so busy at his own place as well. And......I’m wondering if Phillipe could be ousting Michael Petherick in Stephanie’s affections....just a thought:unsure:
Loved the Souleiado vlog, Stephanie does these so well - even Googled the website, unfortunately most of the prices are eye watering expensive:oops:

Reactions: 1
@wintering same! I am also fascinated by the goings on at the chateau and the group dynamics but I just can't get worked up about someone wearing an unsexy dressing gown in the daytime. I am far more intrigued by the fact that Hanni a) not only copied Stephanie by ordering a virtually identical one but b) happily stands next to Stephanie whilst wearing it and c) has adopted Stephanie's habit of wearing it for most of the day - especially as her bit of the chateau is round the other side so it's not like she's just popping into her kitchen - she has to come downstairs, outside and across the courtyard in it.

@pettyicequeen The Guru forum is really harsh but fun (for us).
Two new posts about Lalande finances mystery.
They don't miss anything !
More details!!! I do actually find the financial side of the chateau super interesting and also kind of fishy! How can they afford to live the way they do... with her mom also owning a house in South Africa, on a beach no less! And Stephanie not really having a real job before the vlogging took off. Yet she somehow has funds to buy so many expensive fabrics, ceramics, etc. So many mysteries!

@wintering same! I am also fascinated by the goings on at the chateau and the group dynamics but I just can't get worked up about someone wearing an unsexy dressing gown in the daytime. I am far more intrigued by the fact that Hanni a) not only copied Stephanie by ordering a virtually identical one but b) happily stands next to Stephanie whilst wearing it and c) has adopted Stephanie's habit of wearing it for most of the day - especially as her bit of the chateau is round the other side so it's not like she's just popping into her kitchen - she has to come downstairs, outside and across the courtyard in it.
The whole set up with Hanni is really weird. Still haven't gotten over the fact that she's a top tier patron and now lives there semi-permanently... like what????

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.