Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
Anybody can spend their money however they choose I don’t have a problem with that......
What I do have issue with, and this is why I stopped watching ads etc is that SJ has very expensive tastes and those tastes are just everyday bits and bobs to her (regular champagne, expensive gins, Cire Trudon candles to name but a few). Yes she films videos for YouTube but it’s a free to view platform which is why she initially ‘took off’. When she ‘asks’ for funds to help her restore her home and then spends her own money on in my view luxuries, that is what I struggle with. If I have work needed on my home I don’t buy a fancy candle and show all and sundry and then hope someone will fix my front door.

• Heart
Reactions: 19

soll

Last night's vlog set me off on a train of thought as to why Stephanie bought a house with so much land and deep in rural France, when she takes no interest in either. The surrounding landscape is stunning, and she owns a beautiful wood and stream but rarely goes out to enjoy either. Until recently the garden was abandoned and she has to be dragged out on a walk. I get her lifelong desire to own a chateau, but surely one with a smaller garden and closer to urban delights would have been a more logical choice and possibly not that different in price? She's a city girl at heart. Just musing aloud....

• Heart

Zebraaah

VIP Member
Poor old Michael, I think he seems very down. Sad to read that he has lost two dogs in a short time. I'm a huge pet lover, and that would absolutely devastate me. That, plus lockdown, plus maybe the pressure of having to sparkle for his new fans, must be very hard.

• Heart

Raspberrybrulee

I'm finding it hard to keep up with this thread - I take my eye off it for an hour and there are about 20 new pages to read - a lot of them about brown sugar :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
  • Heart

witchgrass

VIP Member
she has many old ex BFs and she would be covert not overt and the "true" goes only one way (although Potts seems to be into himself), for me this is just the long time observation, there is another possibility or addition to it - there is some histrionic nature coming through (points to weird father - daughter relationship either way)
I'm familiar with covert narcissism, and I'm telling you, they don't have old friends. :ROFLMAO: They might temporarily steal all of YOUR friends and pretend they've known them forever, but no one from the actual past is interested in spending a week in the French countryside with them, much less going in halfsies on a house. I think every extrovert trying to make a living on the internet probably displays a few narcissistic tendencies though. It's lead singer syndrome.

She does a good job navigating her business partner exes, and I bet they're thrilled she finally found a way to make that moneypit work. She's the one who is sentimental about Lalande, and her dad died while she lived there.

Last edited:

chillijam

I wouldn't worry about the cake tin, there are probably about one thousand winging their way to lalande as we speak 😂

• Haha
I see nothing weird in her relationship with her dad. Sure, once people are dead you see only the good- that's a usual phenomenon. And on you tube nobody would speak bad about a deceased one. But I feel they had a loving relationship, sad thing is you don't see those many times anymore. Only Few people in Europe live with their parents in their adult life because it is considered weird. Which I find sad, people are missing out there a lot.
Totally agree. I also think that the way she tolerates her mother’s idiosyncrasies is greatly to her credit. Generally I think Isabelle has mellowed but she does sometimes say rather negative things or disparage what SJ is doing and Stephanie is always very good natured in the way she takes it (on camera at least!). But also, with the best will in the world it can be very hard as a parent not to talk to your (adult) child like they’re a kid again. We are witnessing all this so its not surprising it sometimes seems strained or a bit odd. But mostly I see a child you loves her parents.
[/QUOTE]ci
I have thought for a long time that Isabelle is the narcissist not Steph. She always wants to be praised and obeyed. I think she may even have been jealous of the loving relationship Steph and father had. It took his attention away from her. I had a mother just like that.

• Heart
I think we have to accept that SJ as a demi-Brit living abroad that she is going to take a lot of ‘home’ with her. It’s not a rebuff of French life it’s just what she’s used to, the familiar, even though she’s lived there for many years. I know this is going to get flack but I lived on the other side of the world for a very long time and every Christmas Day the oven would go on and we would stand and sweat in our shorts cooking a full Christmas dinner in 30 degree heat. The vlogs don’t pretend to be how to live life the French way, we just voluntarily watch SJ live life her way (warts and all) and then dissect everything in minutiae😀

• Heart

Zebraaah

VIP Member
if there is anyone who is a musician, can they shed the light on this?
here is a ton of videos, just you ggl her name and signing also in the CD
I am a musician! Well in the sense that I also went to music school as a post-grad (violin and cello) but didn't go professional. Honestly-she has a great voice. Criticise her for many things, but don't suggest she's not a great singer.

• Heart

Minxxx

I've always felt weird about supporting SJ given how well off she is already. All the Patreon revenue and gifting are just subsidizing her lifestyle and she has expensive tastes. A part of me wishes she is more self-aware of her own privilege. She has been extremely lucky and even through her "hardships" she can always count on her parents or her friends to bail her out. But the charm of Lalande is how much it exists outside of the normal turbulences of life.

She works extremely hard on her vlogs so props to her for her YouTube success. I think she deserves every cent she earns through ads. The Patreon and gifting I feel more ambivalent towards.
Yes! I wholeheartedly agree. I cannot understand why people willingly give an already wealthy person money to fund their private vanity project. There are so many more deserving causes.

• Heart
Reactions: 18

witchgrass

VIP Member
I apologize for my lack of eloquentness and stand up comedy like style, I wish I could write in that way as I can speak in that way and it is way more amusing, it wasn't my intention bc no bitterness here, I like to observe covert narcs in real life, I am fascinated by the phenomenon and there is a lot to earn from them and the way they were made and how they have people around them to mirror their behavior, basically keeping the charade going

but I also see her other valuable skills and knowledge, just it is always overshadowed by her money grabbing nature (but as said one can learn how to cover the tracks by observing her - for ex. in the shop she always finds the most expensive piece, most rare or collectible and invents some narrative why she needs to have it and why it would fit some fun party, but always has excuse ready for the stuff which someone else finds appealing,
the same with gifts - it is little price to pay to compliment people for the ton of crap with hedgehog in order to get hermes scarves and collectible plates - it all seem super innocent and appreciative unless u notice it and i see that other people notice it as well - I just love it
She has way too many old friends who seem genuinely happy to spend time with her to be a true narcissist. Narcissists never have old friends. That’s how I spot them.

• Heart

Calvignac

I wonder if SJ started editing in bed because it's so cold in the chateau in winter. I do think some of you are being rather unkind, I love how she doesn't mind us seeing her as she is, warts and all
Don't believe (like the superfans do) that we see Stephanie in her bed with no make up, no hair done and nice robe ready for the camera but just as she was only waking up. Please, don't believe it. Because it's certainly not the case 😂

• Haha
  • Heart

frenchessence

Chatty Member
She is coming across increasingly childlike recently..... with all her "ooh flowers" schtick acting like she's never seen one before, like that time recently she made them stop the car so she could photograph flowers at the side of the road which were completely underwhelming and went on for far too long, and honestly her childlike wonderment on that walk was like she had just arrived on Earth from Mars.

It used to be endearing but sitting there clutching 6 straggly weeds and a mushroom and refusing to put them down to drink her champagne was a bit silly

Can't work out if she is genuinely obsessed with every single leaf and twig she catches sight of, or if its a bit faux "flower hippie" for her brand
Very, very funny ... I thought the same ‘ooo flowers’ Cue the baby voice :) You are exactly right, it was as though she’d never seen a bloom before. It was ridiculous to walk along with a wilting blade of grass and slimy old fungi and not put them down to sip her drink, it was more infuriating than a toddler who won’t be prised from his ‘blankey’ . No wonder Cat gave her the side-eye. I feel mean to say this but I must be truthful, her flower arrangements are simply dire. In fact most of the time they aren’t even arranged , simply shoved in a milk bottle (ready for LOTL to be effusive over) The other night SJ fawned over ‘Marie’s incredibly pretty table’ and we saw the camera pan over a few untidy bits in vases & some knives and forks on the table. About as basic as you can get. I’ve worked as a florist and if Marie were in my shop I’m sorry to say I’d either be training her up or more likely looking for new staff.

As Heathcliff mentioned, Cat is throwing Marie some fairly dodgy glances, which really amuses me. I think Cat is THE most authentic person in the chateau and I really like her.

Marie definitely seems cheerier without Hanni in the chateau though much of her new found smiliness doesnt quite come off as before. It seems a bit forced. I’m glad Marie is still doing a lot of cooking. She shouldn’t give up her culinary skills for full time florals imo ! Just saying ......

I don’t mind Stephanie‘s laying in and working in bed at all. Does it look spoiled? Sure, but that is exactly the character she shows us. The reasonable rich, Chateau owning, only having a business to not go completely broke but making sure her private money covers her lifestyle first, fun, very into culture and arts bon vivant. I would say she tries to emulate the life of the poor gentry gentleman. Having an estate, still keeping up the lifestyle in parts, but struggling to keeping the estate afloat, no official employment (a gentleman doesn’t work) but savvy enough to create schemes that bring in money. The B&B to pay for the Chateau (not herself) run more as private fun than real hard commitment (too many holidays for her to be there all the time), work aways and volunteers because she feels lonely instead of making the B&B running and renovations the important part. Her having a lie in every morning, while staying up very late fits this pattern. It’s a mix between lady of the house and socialite with long entertaining evenings. Parading around in expensive beautiful morning gowns just showcase this more. It’s the perfect modern translation of the Downtown Abbey vibe.
Apart from that- answering mails and editing can be perfectly done in bed, on a sofa, in the car, on a desk. I don’t think she is a person that lacks the energy or the work motivation when not getting dressed in the morning or leaving her bedroom. Not everyone needs that. She produces a ton of footage and has only increased her output. Staying on top of the mails was never her strongest suit, she admitted as much, but she does ok and she employs Natti. I doubt she would describe herself as a self employed Youtuber. I don’t even think she would describe her B&B venture as her job in that sense. It doesn’t fit the narrative for her to hold down a serious job. It more fun than anything else. The B&B was only there to help the Chateau. Never to fund her own life- so basically she doesn’t work to earn her living.
I will say, I love that narrative. It really emulates modern British gentry and their quirks. She ticks many boxes but little things give it away. For example PRO: she is not vain (at least on the surface), educated, interested, not picky in regards to food ingredients but quality, travel, international group of friends, doesn’t NEED to work, no problem in getting her finger dirty, values family heirlooms and things with a history, good at entertaining and I imagine very easy to talk to- but being a true confidant you are not CONTRA she doesn’t put as much importance on quality (especially in terms of interior) anymore, showing off those gift excesses, but most importantly she doesn’t care for the Chateau itself and the land enough. Bad renovations, not tackling important (but not glamorous) structural renovations, not enough interest in the outdoor areas. With her fan base she could market the Chateau highly successfully. Produce from the garden (cider, chutney, jam), cookbook, postcards, prints from old drawings or old maps/structural maps, after COVID- organising exhibitions, those country fairs...
It’s a very charming existence.
Only problem- No idea how much of that is real for her whole life or if we actually only see a small snippet of her reality.
Superb bit of writing and I think you have analysed her lifestyle brilliantly. Spot on. SJ is Downtime Abbey Lite ! I especially agree with your comments about running the chateau. To seemingly not care, or rather prioritise, for the very bones of it, seems foolhardy. F’rinstance, I understand the romance of the restoring the lake but surely repairing the crumbling tower ceiling and the rendering of outside walls is vital work. Or even installing some effective back-up heating would be understandable. Yet she wants to splurge the Patreon funds (I’m not a Patreon btw) on wooden panelling (seriously ?) or create a Platform Française - painted ceiling in the Grand Salon, a room which already looks charming, well, it leaves me incredulous. If the Patreon funds dry up, which surely over time they will, she may regret not using them a little more wisely. Then again, I have a feeling that Stephanie Jarvis’s rather glamorous bohemian lifestyle will never really run out of money. There will always be someone, somewhere willing to step-up and support a pretty, charismatic chatelaine in distress :)

Last edited:
  • Heart

Mand

Loved the vlog this evening. The Thanksgiving table was a bit weird out in the stable, but what the hell. Why not?
The gammon looked lush, the wee flowers were lovely, the atmosphere was good. Nice to hear a shoutout to the patrons for the chapel windows.
Nati and Selmar's little tributes were moving, in particular what Selmar said.

Loving the new name suggestions for the new thread.

Missing @Calvignac and @soll and their wisdom and contributions. There has definitely been a shift in the matrix over the last 48hrs. We seem to have gone from general banter and comments about the channel and the vlogs to some quite personal comments.
See you all on #5 x

• Heart
Another great episode of the hot georgian cooking. however, we did just make our first appearance on the channel! when sj takes isabelle a cheese thing in bed, isobel is without a doubt reading tattle!! around the 21 minute mark :eek: :eek:

• Haha
  • Heart

Calvignac

Gosh, Stéphanie was so PROUD to introduce her baron as a "real aristocrat", it was even embarrassing for her !
Now, it's clear that her dream is not only to live in a chateau 😂
I won't comment on Isabelle's appearance in her bed with her little girl's voice saying to her daughter Merci, Mon coeur 😕 beurk.
WHILE reading this (no doubt of this) tattle.life thread. 😂

• Haha
  • Heart