The Chateau Diaries #4 Jarvis in Jeopardy

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Anybody can spend their money however they choose I don’t have a problem with that......
What I do have issue with, and this is why I stopped watching ads etc is that SJ has very expensive tastes and those tastes are just everyday bits and bobs to her (regular champagne, expensive gins, Cire Trudon candles to name but a few). Yes she films videos for YouTube but it’s a free to view platform which is why she initially ‘took off’. When she ‘asks’ for funds to help her restore her home and then spends her own money on in my view luxuries, that is what I struggle with. If I have work needed on my home I don’t buy a fancy candle and show all and sundry and then hope someone will fix my front door.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
There was nothing aggressive or bitter about the original post. Actually we are very tame here, go over to guru gossip and that's something else. LOL!! I would never give anything valuable of mine to Lalande, I really hope she shuts down the gift giving vlogs, but she seems to be a hoarder so I doubt it anytime soon. I wonder if Michael's sudden popularity with this channel rubbed her the wrong way? I'm certain he brought a lot of views to her vlogs. I just took a look at his gofund me page and it's well over the limit by now and people are still donating.
She could have easily done a go fund me for the lake after she told the story how she was tricked to shut it down. By now she would have all the money in to bring it back.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
It always strikes me how little they're integrated to the local community.
I thought the same. My partner and I are seriously considering buying a money pit/chateau, so we’re learning French in order to really get involved in the community where we end up. Stephanie never seems to venture to the local town unless it’s to go to the Brocante. Even there she never sees people she knows unless it’s Dan and family.

Reactions: 12
I thought the same. My partner and I are seriously considering buying a money pit/chateau, so we’re learning French in order to really get involved in the community where we end up. Stephanie never seems to venture to the local town unless it’s to go to the Brocante. Even there she never sees people she knows unless it’s Dan and family.
She used to go out and about much more-cheese shop at the petrol station, wine shop. Now she doesn’t seem to go anywhere.

Reactions: 8
Anybody can spend their money however they choose I don’t have a problem with that......
What I do have issue with, and this is why I stopped watching ads etc is that SJ has very expensive tastes and those tastes are just everyday bits and bobs to her (regular champagne, expensive gins, Cire Trudon candles to name but a few). Yes she films videos for YouTube but it’s a free to view platform which is why she initially ‘took off’. When she ‘asks’ for funds to help her restore her home and then spends her own money on in my view luxuries, that is what I struggle with. If I have work needed on my home I don’t buy a fancy candle and show all and sundry and then hope someone will fix my front door.
Yes,but if she films herself opening a can of tomato soup because she is saving up for the gravel it would be a completly different channel. Who would like to see it? Also champagne is not that expensive in France like in USA😂

It might be that the french are not interested in getting to know some foreigners. This is not Paris.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
That’s how she started though and look at the viewers!
She doesn’t drink the cheaper stuff...

I’d even be happy for her to take us round the supermarket-love seeing what’s what! (no brown sugar though😉)

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Spot on. I have been questioning exactly this point for a while now ... just no references to him at all - not even a casual mention of his name for weeks now. It particularly threw up a red flag for me when SJ said she’d be ‘doing the advent calendar with Phillipe’ ... no ‘sorry you won’t be seeing Michael this time’ attached to that throwaway remark .... and then again no mention of him in connection with the bedroom that she assigned to him (for new decorating project) when SJ mention Nati moving in there - albeit temporarily. It’s as if Stephanie is going to gently (or otherwise) airbrush Michael Petherick from her inner circle. Also no reference ever again to their Chateau Excursion channel .... i know there’s lockdown but it seems to have died a death.
I also feel a slight frost emanating from Isobel towards Michael ... it’s barely discernible but it’s there ...
And poor Michael said in a Q&A that Stephanie is his best friend 😢

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Steph has not told anything detailed how the salaries for Selmar, Dan or Nati are paid. She just explained that Selmar's and Dan's salaries can be paid through the non-profit and Nati's salary has to be funded otherwise. We don't know if this non-profit has been established. Steph can use Patreon money as she wishes after she's paid ~50% taxes. If she decides to pay the taxes and not channel the money to the non-profit, Patreon money will become her personal income.

Even she says all Patreon money will go to restoration, there's a loop hole, she's collecting funds for both restoration AND vlogging. Basically Patreon money can be used for Nati's salary, because it frees her to vlog full time. There's no obligation to specify in detail how the money is spent, we'll just have to take her word for it.
I won't start again explaining that she won't pay 50 % taxe on her Patreon Revenue. That's not the way French taxation works (it's graduated).
Her new French accountant (the same as Basmaignee) told her to set up a non profit non taxable association (LOI 1901) - very common in France for her type of project.
If she still saying this to her Patreons, I don't know why (or don't want to elaborate why she does it).

Reactions: 10
Yes,but if she films herself opening a can of tomato soup because she is saving up for the gravel it would be a completly different channel. Who would like to see it? Also champagne is not that expensive in France like in USA😂

It might be that the french are not interested in getting to know some foreigners. This is not Paris.
She's drinking $20 bottles of champagne, it's not Dom Perignon.

IMO The French are no more difficult to make friends with than any other nation. You just need to learn the language, even many French understand English, they feel uncomfortable speaking it.

I wonder why she hasn't made a patreon interview with Marie yet? Even not with Micheal? She made one where Michael is interviewing her with the same questions she usually asks. So there was a opportunity to do it. Also Michael Potts/Ruth or Nick/Marie have to be done.

I won't start again explaining that she won't pay 50 % taxe on her Patreon Revenue. That's not the way French taxation works (it's graduated).
Her new French accountant (the same as Basmaignee) told her to set up a non profit non taxable association (LOI 1901) - very common in France for her type of project.
If she still saying this to her Patreons, I don't know why (or don't want to elaborate why she does it).
Because she has so many private other funds and assets that she WILL be taxed 50%?

Reactions: 2
‘Twas the month before Christmas, when all though Facebook
Chateau Diaries superfans were eager to look
Some pages shouted OFFICIAL in their description
While others gained members by a kind of conscription.

The Chatelaine was nestled deep in her bed
While visions of Patrons danced in her head
And mummy in her gloves, bored and trapped
Just hoping her French garden will survive and adapt

When out in the courtyard there arose such a clatter
The Chatelaine awoke to see what was the matter
Away to the balcony she flew like a flash
Tore open the shutters and threw up (the sash)

The moon on the breast of the freshly laid gravel
Gave the lustre of pinkness as the scene did unravel
When what to her infected eye should appear
A camper, a tango dancer and Heineken beer

A curly haired man, covered in sawdust
Muttering softly “To the beach, dog, or bust”
More rapid than peacocks his coursers they came
And he whistled, and whispered, and called them by name

Now DIESEL!, now RUBY!, now SITH! and THOR!
On IAN!, on IAN!, on IAN! and one IAN! more
To the top of the ramparts, to the fountain, all green
Now dash away, dash away, we mustn’t be seen!

The Chatelaine teetered, on balcony’s edge!
She was going to topple and crush a small hedge
With a gasp she felt a weak hand on her waist
“Prince Philip will save me; he’s made such great haste”

The Chatelaine fell back onto her floor
Her Thousand Stars kimono crumpled and tore
And she turned her head to thank her saviour knight
But she only saw Hanni by the dappled moonlight.
This is fabulous! Well done 👍🏻 🥂

Reactions: 4
Actually I don't think she likes anybody. Selmar, Ian 1+2 and Dan are ok as long they do some work she benefits from. But I feel she won't miss Marie, Philip, Tomaz or even Nati. Marie does work but then it is only cooking to feed the volunteers. Putting some flowers in a vase she can do herself once a week. Nati is polite and all, but only because SJ considers her very organized and hard working because she does the boring desk job it does not mean she is superwoman. Opening the parcels and answering some emails is not overwhelming work and she can do it all dressed up. If French emails or business correspondence come in she still can't answer them. Or answer the phone. It would be more reasonable to hire a French person from the village. But then that's not their thing😊
I think the majority of bookings and enquiries come from English speaking prospective guests and volunteers. The business correspondence will be passed to SJ as she is the one that can make decisions on that front. I think many people could do Nati's job but in Nati she has a person who, I believe, she does like and even admire. Nati is bi-lingual, travelled and has recently purchased her own property. She is always delightful, mild mannered, modest, and co-operative and prepared to appear in all vlogs whilst not wishing to hog the limelight or start her own. I also think she is a keeper of confidences. These qualities are far more important. If I had to choose my team, what she has, is actually pretty near it.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
What her accountant is saying, that without non-profit, she will end up paying ~50% taxes for the restoration, because there's VAT and other business taxes from purchases and work she needs to buy in addition to taxes on Patreon revenue.

Reactions: 1
She's drinking $20 bottles of champagne, it's not Dom Perignon.

IMO The French are no more difficult to make friends with than any other nation. You just need to learn the language, even many French understand English, they feel uncomfortable speaking it.
Yes, also from my experience they tend to go out in crowds. It is difficult to find entry in a group of friends which know each other from kindergarten. Especially if you are not dating one of them. And even if you do date the friends kind of have to like you and accept you. I can imagine that quite a lot female friends will not easily accept Stephanie 😂

I think the majority of bookings and enquiries come from English speaking prospective guests and volunteers. The business correspondence will be passed to SJ as she is the one that can make decisions on that front. I think many people could do Nati's job but in Nati she has a person who, I believe, she does like and even admire. Nati is bi-lingual, travelled and has recently purchased her own property. She is always delightful, mild mannered, modest, and co-operative and prepared to appear in all vlogs whilst not wishing to hog the limelight or start her own. I also think she is a keeper of confidences. These qualities are far more important. If I had to choose my team, what she has, is actually pretty near it.
Really? Nati has bought some property? Near lalande? I would not know that? What are her plans?

• Heart
Reactions: 4

Sorry to say that champagne is very expensive in France too. Most French people don't drink champagne. At least, not the champagne they drink at Lalande.
French people are interested in foreigners living with them. Ask Dan the gardener and his wife.
They welcome and help them if these foreigners want to be part of their local community.
That doesn't seem the case of Lalande despite Isabelle being French.

What her accountant is saying, that without non-profit, she will end up paying ~50% taxes for the restoration, because there's VAT and other business taxes from purchases and work she needs to buy in addition to taxes on Patreon revenue.
Whatever. I give up.
She does have an association LOI 1901 now. (Non profit non taxable). Unless she wants to get everything for free (materials, working hours etc).
Not sure Stephanie is good in understanding French system, lake, taxes, internet and so on. Must be exhausting to work for her.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
‘Twas the month before Christmas, when all though Facebook
Chateau Diaries superfans were eager to look
Some pages shouted OFFICIAL in their description
While others gained members by a kind of conscription.

The Chatelaine was nestled deep in her bed
While visions of Patrons danced in her head
And mummy in her gloves, bored and trapped
Just hoping her French garden will survive and adapt

When out in the courtyard there arose such a clatter
The Chatelaine awoke to see what was the matter
Away to the balcony she flew like a flash
Tore open the shutters and threw up (the sash)

The moon on the breast of the freshly laid gravel
Gave the lustre of pinkness as the scene did unravel
When what to her infected eye should appear
A camper, a tango dancer and Heineken beer

A curly haired man, covered in sawdust
Muttering softly “To the beach, dog, or bust”
More rapid than peacocks his coursers they came
And he whistled, and whispered, and called them by name

Now DIESEL!, now RUBY!, now SITH! and THOR!
On IAN!, on IAN!, on IAN! and one IAN! more
To the top of the ramparts, to the fountain, all green
Now dash away, dash away, we mustn’t be seen!

The Chatelaine teetered, on balcony’s edge!
She was going to topple and crush a small hedge
With a gasp she felt a weak hand on her waist
“Prince Philip will save me; he’s made such great haste”

The Chatelaine fell back onto her floor
Her Thousand Stars kimono crumpled and tore
And she turned her head to thank her saviour knight
But she only saw Hanni by the dappled moonlight.
If you don't use this superpower for work, I think you've missed a vocation in life. Superb! Awesome! Get illustrating @ChocLili we want to see it in a book or animation :love:

• Heart
I absolutely respect, and see your point of view. Youtube is a free to view platform and you are perfectly entitled to watch it, ad free, without guilt or expectation. I am sure Stephanie would agree. However, she has monetised her channel, as do many others, initially to put towards the chateau and now, as she has Patreon, to use as salary for her vlogging, not by charging you but through ad revenue. Many people cannot or do not want to contribute to Patreon, but do want to help SJ and so even just watching the ads increases revenue and some are prepared to do this. The more money she makes, the more she can do at the chateau, or away from it, and this improves content. Most of the luxuries you mention come from gifts - the gin, the champagne. She does splurge on clothing and hotel rooms - and we get to watch her wearing it and staying in them. But it is not excessive. In any case, every time you watch a newsreader on the BBC you are indirectly supporting them via your TV licence. Each time you watch an ITV programme, the ads you watch are supporting the dramas etc. It is no different, in my view, that SJ gets a salary from ad revenue and provides entertainment in return. We do not ask Stephen Fry what he spends his personal salary on, or how many freebies from companies or gifts he receives. And believe me, it will be plenty. Personally, I cannot get enough of The Chateau Diaries and so tend to defend SJ and anything to do with her. I am not so generous about some of the other chateau owners / vloggers, and believe me, it is rare I do not agree with every witty criticism levelled on here about them - so bring it on.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I absolutely respect, and see your point of view. Youtube is a free to view platform and you are perfectly entitled to watch it, ad free, without guilt or expectation. I am sure Stephanie would agree. However, she has monetised her channel, as do many others, initially to put towards the chateau and now, as she has Patreon, to use as salary for her vlogging, not by charging you but through ad revenue. Many people cannot or do not want to contribute to Patreon, but do want to help SJ and so even just watching the ads increases revenue and some are prepared to do this. The more money she makes, the more she can do at the chateau, or away from it, and this improves content. Most of the luxuries you mention come from gifts - the gin, the champagne. She does splurge on clothing and hotel rooms - and we get to watch her wearing it and staying in them. But it is not excessive. In any case, every time you watch a newsreader on the BBC you are indirectly supporting them via your TV licence. Each time you watch an ITV programme, the ads you watch are supporting the dramas etc. It is no different, in my view, that SJ gets a salary from ad revenue and provides entertainment in return. We do not ask Stephen Fry what he spends his personal salary on, or how many freebies from companies or gifts he receives. And believe me, it will be plenty. Personally, I cannot get enough of The Chateau Diaries and so tend to defend SJ and anything to do with her. I am not so generous about some of the other chateau owners / vloggers, and believe me, it is rare I do not agree with every witty criticism levelled on here about them - so bring it on.
We all can't get enough of SJ😍

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
Money follows success. I don't see anything wrong with it. She works for her money and TBH she's not making that much (after taxes.) She's not in her way becoming a millionaire any time soon.

Reactions: 7
Ha Ha - either I have been kicked off Escape to Shat-o La La Land or the site has gone down! I think I must have rattled her last time and I suspect may we have someone here feeding back to her! No matter, it was becoming increasing nauseating there as her disciplines scrabbled to defend her!
I left Brenda Gibbon's site, I just couldn't take any more of her, find her so full of herself and as you said her 'disciples' were just as hard to take! Life is too short...

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.