The Chateau Diaries #4 Jarvis in Jeopardy

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I noticed that all the letters now with the Giftgrabs say how much they are looking forward to visiting Lalalande next year. I’d be very worried that all these new ‘friends’ are going to be popping in as soon as travel restrictions are lifted.

When the world knows where you live you need some boundaries
I thought this too. It’s as if some people don’t realise there are literally thousands of others like them out there with exactly the same idea. ‘ I hope to be able to volunteer there next year’ they all say. 🥴

Reactions: 12
I think the point being made here is that Stephanie has never known what is a hierarchy (and I'm not speaking of Mummy and Daddy), colleagues (and not a Gerry or a bunch of often very young volunteers), strict working hours (not speaking of lying in bed until noon for your work either) and real goals (not making money to restore your dream rural chateau).
Nobody said that Stephanie was lazy. Just living in... La La Land and thinking that life can be hard (for the others).
We like Chateau Diaries videos. But we have to be lucid too 😉
I guess this is just what it needs to be a châtelaine. That's why we like her videos to escape from reality. Anyway you don't know what jobs she has done. Also there is a reason that managers get more paid than the people doing it. You need certain qualities and skills to run a château. She is now at this point at this age with the skills and abilities she has. I don't know too many people who have achieved more.

Reactions: 7
Back to Brendagate.....
Ma Trotter is policing the comments again. This from the KCBomb fan page.
Now this is the biggest indication that my mate Brenda is just in it for herself! Quelle surprise!

Reactions: 10
Tack oh night at the shat oh and no cilantro. Now I'm curious to know what's happening in the garden. I was assuming the winters were too cold for herbs and vegetables, but if they just planted roses in the courtyard, they can plant year round. Step it up Dan. Stephanie has a desk now.
Its way too cold to grow coriander there at the moment, even in the greenhouse. If they had a heated greenhouse that would be a different matter, think Heligan Gardens, heated by manure and produced pineapples all year round. Her roses are a variety that flower in the winter.

I guess this is just what it needs to be a châtelaine. That's why we like her videos to escape from reality. Anyway you don't know what jobs she has done. Also there is a reason that managers get more paid than the people doing it. You need certain qualities and skills to run a château. She is now at this point at this age with the skills and abilities she has. I don't know too many people who have achieved more.
Gosh, I know loads of people who have achieved much more with far less

So true. Anyway what is considered work? If you leave home for it, if you have a boss, if you don't like it doing, if you receive a salary for it? I know alot of people who have this but are not really efficient or productive.

Anyway who would like to watch her doing the ordinary jobs? There are plenty of wifes out there doing cleaning videos. That's not what we came for.
?? Ordinary jobs ?? She does show herself and others doing 'ordinary jobs' all the time. What was Kat shown doing last night and Ian atop his hay bale.
Wouldn't know about the cleaning videos but each to their own.
Work ?? we all know its something we do for money, however we do it.

Last edited:
  • Heart
I feel like a little innocent princess on this forum sometimes! I honestly do believe that Stephanie on occasion does wake up and grab the camera. I also think that she made a decision right from the start to show herself on the vlogs both with and without makeup, just because she wanted to keep it as a real visual journal of her life, not for some knowing fake reality. I think she was too naive about vlogging in the beginning for that kind of cynicism.
I guess she let's them wait to grab the camera, and then makes them enter. They are not that good actors and I feel it comes across real. I have seen her a couple of times not really representable or even not attractive. She obviously is able to pose but then she is just always gorgeous (saying this in hope real SJ posts again 😊)

Reactions: 2
Skills and abilities to run a chateau... Hmmmm a chateau is just that : a chateau, a bigger house if you prefer. It doesn't take skills and abilities to run a house. I grew up in a 17e century former huge convent in France. It was cold,, it was sometimes hard but my parents never thought they had skills and abilities to run their house. And they never thought it was "work" to renovate it as they had real jobs to fund it.
And I know a lot of people who have achieved more than Stephanie at 45.
As I say, we love her videos but we need to stay lucid about her. Otherwise we're no better than superfans.
BTW We do know the jobs she has done as from the very beginning, (when she was still answering on Facebook), she was clear about it : none except some administration for her parents.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Its way too cold to grow coriander there at the moment, even in the greenhouse. If they had a heated greenhouse that would be a different matter, think Heligan Gardens, heated by manure and produced pineapples all year round. Her roses are a variety that flower in the winter.

Gosh, I know loads of people who have achieved much more with far less

?? Ordinary jobs ?? She does show herself and others doing 'ordinary jobs' all the time. What was Kat shown doing last night and Ian atop his hay bale.
Wouldn't know about the cleaning videos but each to their own.
Work ?? we all know its something we do for money, however we do it.
Yes, but other youtubers make money showing 30min how they do laundry. And this every couple of months again.
Such a good summation. Look at what Dick and Angel have done with their profile -they were both self made people. She did say in one vlog the chateau is a family home first, not a B&B first. I'm going to predict the Chateau will be sold within 18 months.
You might be right, maybe not in 18 months but sooner later. She can always say it is because she couldn't bring back then lake and it is too heartbreaking without. And then it will be sure a clever business decision. She will move on to her palazzo.

Successful at what exactly. If she was that successful she wouldn't need strangers to fund the Chateau. Drama is as drama does and she isn't an opera star

Yep, with you on that one

BTW folks, going on about Phillips nostrils is just mean. None of us have any choice about the body we are born into.
I know, once lock down is over she will be out of there for a break (I'm not judging that). And then all the patrons will descend and Scotman and Brenda and MP and Nick and MP2. Can you imagine. Now SJ and PP are doing advent series together. It's ridiculous how much this annoys me.
Same here, even though I don't know why. so hope it still will be good. Can't wait for 12.1.

Whatever happened to Hanni?
Back to London and stuck in lockdown. But will return someday

She is coming across increasingly childlike recently..... with all her "ooh flowers" schtick acting like she's never seen one before, like that time recently she made them stop the car so she could photograph flowers at the side of the road which were completely underwhelming and went on for far too long, and honestly her childlike wonderment on that walk was like she had just arrived on Earth from Mars.

It used to be endearing but sitting there clutching 6 straggly weeds and a mushroom and refusing to put them down to drink her champagne was a bit silly

Can't work out if she is genuinely obsessed with every single leaf and twig she catches sight of, or if its a bit faux "flower hippie" for her brand
She so needs a boyfriend

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
Last night's vlog set me off on a train of thought as to why Stephanie bought a house with so much land and deep in rural France, when she takes no interest in either. The surrounding landscape is stunning, and she owns a beautiful wood and stream but rarely goes out to enjoy either. Until recently the garden was abandoned and she has to be dragged out on a walk. I get her lifelong desire to own a chateau, but surely one with a smaller garden and closer to urban delights would have been a more logical choice and possibly not that different in price? She's a city girl at heart. Just musing aloud....

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Skills and abilities to run a chateau... Hmmmm a chateau is just that : a chateau, a bigger house if you prefer. It doesn't take skills and abilities to run a house. I grew up in a 17e century former huge convent in France. It was cold,, it was sometimes hard but my parents never thought they had skills and abilities to run their house. And they never thought it was "work" to renovate it as they had real jobs to fund it.
And I know a lot of people who have achieved more than Stephanie at 45.
As I say, we love her videos but we need to stay lucid about her. Otherwise we're no better than superfans.
BTW We do know the jobs she has done as from the very beginning, (when she was still answering on Facebook), she was clear about it : none except some administration for her parents.
Same here, think we've had similar experiences in our upbringing Calvignac. Totally agree with all you have said. I like being lucid. Keeping it real! before the rabbit hole consumes us all. Been watching the CD vlogs since they started because I like her kindness, joy and the way she handles her mother amongst other things.
TBH when it comes to getting on with practical tasks I totally respect the dark haired lady who was renovating her chateau on her own. She visited SJ with a friend once and chatted in the kitchen with hot water bottles. She was on ETTCDIY but there is no way I will remember her name. I think she has sold her chateau because I saw it listed this time last year when I was sofa (not bed :ROFLMAO:, still got up everyday :ROFLMAO:) bound with what we now know to be sars.

BTW folks, I'm from the UK and can see clearly what SJ is all about, warts and all. Went to school with many a girl like her and have worked with many women like her. Is that a bad thing? no, not at all, it's life experience.

Yes, but other youtubers make money showing 30min how they do laundry. And this every couple of months again.
Ok .. Lots of youtubers make money with lots of different content .. I don't understand the point you are making

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Last night's vlog set me off on a train of thought as to why Stephanie bought a house with so much land and deep in rural France, when she takes no interest in either. The surrounding landscape is stunning, and she owns a beautiful wood and stream but rarely goes out to enjoy either. Until recently the garden was abandoned and she has to be dragged out on a walk. I get her lifelong desire to own a chateau, but surely one with a smaller garden and closer to urban delights would have been a more logical choice and possibly not that different in price? She's a city girl at heart. Just musing aloud....
I agree though Nics interests had to be considered, too. Also maybe no other choise? I guess each chateau comes with quite a bit of land. But there are some videos where she explains how she came to choose Lalande

Reactions: 4
Same here, think we've had similar experiences in our upbringing Calvignac. Totally agree with all you have said. I like being lucid. Keeping it real! before the rabbit hole consumes us all. Been watching the CD vlogs since they started because I like her kindness, joy and the way she handles her mother amongst other things.
TBH when it comes to getting on with practical tasks I totally respect the dark haired lady who was renovating her chateau on her own. She visited SJ with a friend once and chatted in the kitchen with hot water bottles. She was on ETTCDIY but there is no way I will remember her name. I think she has sold her chateau because I saw it listed this time last year when I was sofa (not bed :ROFLMAO:, still got up everyday :ROFLMAO:) bound with what we now know to be sars.

BTW folks, I'm from the UK and can see clearly what SJ is all about, warts and all. Went to school with many a girl like her and have worked with many women like her. Is that a bad thing? no, not at all, it's life experience.

Ok .. Lots of youtubers make money with lots of different content .. I don't understand the point you are making
But then I wouldn't consider your parents "normal" but rather extraordinary. Normal to me would be a 8 to 5 job with 2000 euro (or even less) bring home salary in Europe. Maybe paying of an apartment or little house. And I believe most of us had a little help from parents ;) SJ right now makes more money than average.

Reactions: 5
Their address puts them in zone 8 (USDA zone..I don’t know what’s used in France to designate climate zones) which means they have a year round growing season

From what I can see their climate is the same USDA zone as Portland Oregon, so they should be able to grow cool season vegetables from now until spring.
I come from the region near Berry. I can confirm that winters are too cold to grow anything before the spring.

Reactions: 5
Their address puts them in zone 8 (USDA zone..I don’t know what’s used in France to designate climate zones) which means they have a year round growing season

From what I can see their climate is the same USDA zone as Portland Oregon, so they should be able to grow cool season vegetables from now until spring.
Yes, yes, you can grow a hardy coriander that will tolerate down to -10 but as soon as the frost hits the green is gone, kapput!

We don't use growing zones over here as you do in the US and it is also very much dependant on your garden/plots particular micro-climate regardless of where you grow

Reactions: 6
totally respect the dark haired lady who was renovating her chateau on her own. She visited SJ with a friend once and chatted in the kitchen with hot water bottles. She was on ETTCDIY but there is no way I will remember her name.
Fiona! She was amazing!

(First time posting here -am so glad I've found similarly obsessed people. Who aren't mad...)
Ok I have a question - who was David at Lalande? Was he a friend or a work away. There is no way he was an ex lover.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
But then I wouldn't consider your parents "normal" but rather extraordinary. Normal to me would be a 8 to 5 job with 2000 euro (or even less) bring home salary in Europe. Maybe paying of an apartment or little house. And I believe most of us had a little help from parents ;) SJ right now makes more money than average.
My parents were normal with small wages I can assure you (low rank civil servants). They did everything by themselves for the renovations. And they would have never asked anybody for financial help.
But they didn't go to expensive holidays, rather camping sites, didn't buy Fauchon tea and coffee (only supermarkets quality) or candles from Trudon.
I suppose it depends on your mindset. Each to their own.

Last edited:
  • Heart
?? My parents were not extraordinary but perfectly normal. All the women in my family are strong, independent self starters who have worked hard for everything they have individually achieved. Don't really think the concept of an euro average wage applies, it depends on your industry, your effort and what skills you bring to the table.

Oops, think that was meant for Calvignac :oops:

• Heart
Reactions: 7
@Zebraaah - Hello! Fiona was a force of nature. Wonder what happened to her chateau then?
David, if you mean the one that only wore either a dressing gown or lycra shorts 🤢, from what I can remember he is a friend from way back, probably uni days.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
Hello! Yes, lycra/dressing gown David that's the one. Obsessed with toblerone. Seemed sad.

Her one is called Château du Masgelier. Her fb doesn't really say what she's up to -i guess restoration is ongoing.

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.