The Chateau Diaries #306 The Chateau Diaries has become Me, Me, Me, Me and How to Spoil Oneself

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
GOTCHA, I was so confused! That is what ai get for waking up at 4am. šŸ˜†šŸ™ƒ
---

I am actually doing a high tea/gentlemanā€™s tea as we will be having it for dinner, the menu would not stand up to scrutiny for a traditional afternoon tea, too hearty.

As I have all of the ingredients I think I will do egg and cress AND the compound butter version, why not?
My mother used to do hearty cocktail party food parties, the best food of all and plenty of it. I remember steak tartare, Mushroom pate sandwiches. A whole lot of other stuff. The men couldn't get over it, spent the party surrounding the table, guzzling up the beef. Always elected her queen of the May. They loved that stuff.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Egg and watercress are served traditionally served for afternoon tea at Harrods and the Ritz.

What are you planning for your HighTea/Gentleman's tea? They are becoming quite popular here now. We took hubby out for Gentleman's tea as a post birthday treat.
The menu is all over the place so please humour me, this isn't like a typical tea in any way, shape, or form. Reasoning: the male lead of this season of Bridgerton has a throw away line about just returning from visiting seventeen different cities on his most recent travels, so I am trying to make a menu that is very international and accessible via a Grand Tour (with some glaring holes) that also has things my husband loves to eat. The notion of a "tea" format is because of Bridgeton and my love for Afternoon/High Tea combined with the notion that "gorgeous nibbly bits" are the best things to eat when watching something.

I also wanted to be able to pick up almost everything curbside, and the more local the store the better.

"Sandwiches"

Watercress on wheat two ways - compound butter and egg salad
thin shaved roast beef and brie with horseradish sauce on baby baguettes
cocktail sausage rolls
beef and potato samosas with mango chutney for dipping

"Scones"

I have never successfully made a scone, nor american biscuits from scratch, so I thought about what a scone with cream and jam is at the very core: bread with sauces. So we are having a Mezze. All of this is from a local specialty/grocery store, Phoenicia, made in house. Same with the samosas.

Armenian dolmas with garlic sauce for dipping (Mr. Sassy LOVES garlic.)
Hummus with pesto on top served with naan dippers/house made spiced pita chips
olive tapenade
tabouleh

"Sweets"

lime tarts (Phoenicia)
pistachio baklava (Phoenicia)
macarons (Trader Joe's)

And then I am making a vanilla cake with raspberry filling, raspberry buttercream, and white chocolate buttercream. Long story, surprise for my DH.

Is it waaaaayyyy too much food for two people? Absolutely. Will it last us several meals? Like all weekend? You betcha.

So, once I finish this big push of cooking I should be able to relax a bit for the next few days.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
So Isabel and her mother own one chateau, one studio flat in the south of France with a harbour view, one x 3 bed flat In Angel, London, a beachfront house in South Africa and possibly and share in a house belonging to Grandma in the South of France and possibly a financial interest in a piece of land in S Africa and part of a house in Spain (or at least a bedroom) belonging to Ollie. Wonderful. And there is Ruby stating he cannot even get a corner of a room in a 50 room chateau. It's neither a dog's nor cat's life.

• Sick
  • Angry
Reactions: 27
The menu is all over the place so please humour me, this isn't like a typical tea in any way, shape, or form. Reasoning: the male lead of this season of Bridgerton has a throw away line about just returning from visiting seventeen different cities on his most recent travels, so I am trying to make a menu that is very international and accessible via a Grand Tour (with some glaring holes) that also has things my husband loves to eat. The notion of a "tea" format is because of Bridgeton and my love for Afternoon/High Tea combined with the notion that "gorgeous nibbly bits" are the best things to eat when watching something.

I also wanted to be able to pick up almost everything curbside, and the more local the store the better.

"Sandwiches"

cocktail sausage rolls

"Scones"

I have never successfully made a scone, nor american biscuits from scratch, so I thought about what a scone with cream and jam is at the very core: bread with sauces. So we are having a Mezze. All of this is from a local specialty/grocery store, Phoenicia, made in house. Same with the samosas.

olive tapenade
tabouleh

"Sweets"

lime tarts (Phoenicia)
macarons (Trader Joe's)

And then I am making a vanilla cake with raspberry filling, raspberry buttercream, and white chocolate buttercream. Long story, surprise for my DH.

Is it waaaaayyyy too much food for two people? Absolutely. Will it last us several meals? Like all weekend? You betcha.

So, once I finish this big push of cooking I should be able to relax a bit for the next few days.
This sounds lovely and I like your idea of a international theme for your tea. Enjoy! I love meals where you can just keep picking at it.

• Heart

"Sandwiches"

cocktail sausage rolls

"Scones"

olive tapenade
tabouleh

"Sweets"

lime tarts (Phoenicia)
macarons (Trader Joe's)

Oh my word. This is fabulous! Chefs kiss. No rules imo! A splendid high tea with your favourite extras... Not much is better šŸ«–

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I love how appetizingly she describes her work of picking garnishes from the gaahhhden.....yum!
Her descriptions just make me want to eat there! Her skin gets itchy and she's patting herself on the back for not poisoning her guests! Win-Win!!!

(Sadly, she has zero passion for what she's doing. None!)

View attachment 2938020
itā€™s unbelievable isnā€™t it. Not content with slobbering all over the food šŸ¤¢, she could have have given guests a rather bad stomach ache or worse. Google is your friend MariE. Do your research before you inflict your stupidity on guests. Sheā€™s as thick as two short planks šŸ™„šŸ™„šŸ™„ God forbid she takes up foraging šŸ¤Ŗ

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
I had a bit of time on hand and decided to catch up on TCD. Well, seeing the tumbnails, I decided against it. I watched The Pethericks instead.

I know some of you are hating on them after Billy's church thieving tour, but boy did I enjoy watching them preparing the chateau for their dad's 80th B-day which is in A MONTH time! They started a month in advance! It made ever fiber in my body happy šŸ¤£ Luna20 approves!
That bed they moved though - it is naaaaaasty IMO - that room is already so busy with the new wall paper, needs a simple bed. Note to Billy: just because it's old/antique doesn't mean it looks nice.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I love watercress - it was my only craving when I was expecting our firstborn - watercress with lemon juice and prawns! Love watercress with cheese too and as an accompaniment to a steak, with char grilled tomato. Egg and cress, cream cheese and cress or cheddar cheese and cress and smoked salmon and cress sandwiches in wholemeal bread with lightly salted butter -yum yum! Salmon terrine and watercress - I'm salivating.
So am I. I can never find watercress here in France, yet there are loads of old watercress farms in the area!

• Heart
Reactions: 16
In UK, usually, the watercress are used 3 ways, salad, soup or in egg salad sandwiches. I had never had watercress before moving to UK. I like it in salad personally.
In NZ we do a 'boil up' - potatoes, usually pork pieces and watercress. It's an old Maori favourite. I hate the smell of boiling meat for some reason, so the ex used to boil it in the garage LOL.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
itā€™s unbelievable isnā€™t it. Not content with slobbering all over the food šŸ¤¢, she could have have given guests a rather bad stomach ache or worse. Google is your friend MariE. Do your research before you inflict your stupidity on guests. Sheā€™s as thick as two short planks šŸ™„šŸ™„šŸ™„ God forbid she takes up foraging šŸ¤Ŗ
She is not amusing but a dangerous fool.
Was she gathering deadly nightshade flowers?
Absolutely no idea what the plant is yet thinks it's ok to harvest it. I'm guessing she was picking the invasive comfrey family blue flowered plant that has very hairy leaves.
Wondering now if Snorts could dye them and make his own hair system. VIOLA!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 21
Those jugs and plates looked like stuff my mum had in the 90ā€™s! There was also some ropey editing at 17.40 šŸ˜¬

• Haha
SGirl aka Stephanie jarvis is all over danā€™s comment section responding to the questions asking about what has happened to Cameron ( who evidently has not been at the crispy chĆ¢teau for a while, and has not been seen on camera working with Nick) look at her responses to questions about where is cameron.

user-jh8jr5id2c

8 hours ago
What happened to Nickā€™s ā€œsonā€ Cameron? Our favourite team member

@Sgirl
5 hours ago
He doesn't work with them anymore. I guess he wasn't everyone's favorite team member.

@Sgirl
5 hours ago
No. Cameron doesn't work with them anymore

@Sgirl
6 hours ago
He doesn't work with them anymore
@Sgirl
5 hours ago
Cameron isn't there. He doesn't work with them anymore.

@aarongoonan
11 hours ago
where is Cameron?

@Sgirl
5 hours ago
Somewhere else

@user-vz5xf5js1x
6 hours ago
Where is Cameron? Off doing his own thing? Doesnā€™t have the right skill set for this part of the renovation? A falling out????

@Sgirl
5 hours ago
He wants to work with trees, not construction.
Now how would she know Cam wants to work with trees and not construction? That was never said and he seemed to relish getting stuck in with any job.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 19
So am I. I can never find watercress here in France, yet there are loads of old watercress farms in the area!
I'm surprised as my friends (PĆ©rigord area and Monaco) all had "salade de cressons." I also think they put some cressons into the "salade tiĆØde de gĆ©siers de poulet". But, it was some years ago so maybe it has changed now and fashion as moved a bit toward new "leaves" to try. šŸ˜Š

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.