The Chateau Diaries #306 The Chateau Diaries has become Me, Me, Me, Me and How to Spoil Oneself

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Noooo, don’t go messing with our egg and cress sandwiches.
Not heard of compound butter before but butter isn’t needed on these due to the egg mayonnaise.
Recipe: Boiled eggs, black pepper, mayonnaise and cress. Oh and don’t forget the bread. 😊😊
My sense (as an inveterate reader of menus around the world) was that egg and cress sandwiches are for lunch? Not tea. Unless "tea" is dinner.
Divided, as always, by the language which unites us.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
My sense (as an inveterate reader of menus around the world) egg and cress sandwiches are for lunch? Not tea. Unless "tea" is dinner.
No they can be eaten at anytime. Lunch, afternoon tea, evenings, picnics and very popular on buffet tables at parties.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
On the patreon vlog she said something like..her father had bought it in order for her to be closer to her grandmother. She never said he bought it for her grandmother. I'm wondering if grandma had her own place and this one bed flat is a halfway house. A meeting place between UK & grandmas own gaff. If so IJ may be the only one to inherit it or even SJ.
I think we can all safely guess that grandma had her own place. But if she had 6 children, presumably the property was not sold and they still can all use it OR it was and Isabel pocketed her share of the inheritance. I am sure we will learn in due course that Daddy's flat is either owned by Isabel to avoid inheritance tax for Fanny or it is in some kind of trust. You never hear her say tax bill....because my guess is that the accountant has been dismissed.

Reactions: 22
Can’t help you with the vlogs but I think mummy dear met Percy well before grandma died. From memory I think she met him as early as maybe 2012/2013/2014/2015 not sure but well before 2018.
I get dizzy trying to follow the breadcrumbs that lead to dead ends.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
Oh, no radishes in the watercress sandwich. The French eat radishes with butter, which is a really good idea, the peppery crunch and the creamy ....I was just thinking that the mouth feel and flavor of watercress and butter would be in the same ball park.
GOTCHA, I was so confused! That is what ai get for waking up at 4am. 😆🙃
---
Delicious, a truly sublime combo.
But plain watercress afternoon tea sandwiches I think are the ones @MagpieSassyPants was looking for?
I am actually doing a high tea/gentleman’s tea as we will be having it for dinner, the menu would not stand up to scrutiny for a traditional afternoon tea, too hearty.

As I have all of the ingredients I think I will do egg and cress AND the compound butter version, why not?

• Heart
Reactions: 18
My sense (as an inveterate reader of menus around the world) was that egg and cress sandwiches are for lunch? Not tea. Unless "tea" is dinner.
Divided, as always, by the language which unites us.
They are perfect for tea served at 4pm before dinner or supper.

• Heart
I spent hours looking at Provencal tablecloths in Avignon some years ago. I eventually decided on one to buy. Having got it home, I hardly ever used it as it didn't really look right. You can get carried away by local products sometimes. The cloths look lovely in Provence out on a terrace in the sunshine, but not so good in my flat!
Same. I've contemplated getting one myself, but it just wouldn't work with my eclectic decor.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
They are perfect for tea served at 4pm before dinner or supper.
Egg and watercress are served traditionally served for afternoon tea at Harrods and the Ritz.

What are you planning for your HighTea/Gentleman's tea? They are becoming quite popular here now. We took hubby out for Gentleman's tea as a post birthday treat.

• Heart
For all you vegetarians, this recipe was excellent, and fairly easy! It's good for non-vegetarians, too. I made it over the weekend and with a salad, it was just wonderful. Link to recipe after the short Instagram video

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Remember back when all of the grass at LiarLand was nicely mowed at all times even in the walled garden? Thanks for showing us photographic proof it isn’t anymore, Marie!

IMG_2064.jpeg

IMG_2060.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 27
I was thinking about how I'd redo my one room love shack in Cap d'Adge and made the mistake of Googling it. It's been discussed here previously, the nudist and swinger reputation the place has had since the 60s, the redoubt for working class Parisians who can't afford the Cote d'Azur.
Just the place I'd buy an apartment for my precious daughter if I were pervy Derek.
I am putting that -- as well as the massacre of Beziers -- aside and thinking about how to spend a lot of money on a nice little place in the Languedoc.
First, a motorized white awning over the terrace I can push a button to fold back when I leave. An outdoor shower for sand removal with bathing suit drying, perhaps arranged as a wind sock to create patio "art" by taking advantage of the sirocco. Bathing suits blowing in the breeze, festive. Good white patio dining table and white cushioned chairs foldable into a locked white shed. Good retractable clothesline as sea air dried bed clothes are one of life's real pleasures. In other words, I'd make the patio a whole nother room. Sun powered LED candle lanterns, plain white globes.
I don't know how you'd do a scent room. Without overwhelming stank, that is. But see the thing about Languedoc is sun-warmed rock and wild herbs and Cathars. Nothing solid except the unbelievable stony resilience and heart-breakingly gallant troubador transcendentalism of Occitanie. Did you say,@C'est moi, the sirocco prevails? I think, perhaps, postcard sized botanical drawings, ink on white, of the scrubland herbs, thyme, rosemary, bay leaves, and savory. Bath soap in those scents.
I'd spend good money on a big white wet bathroom, multiple showerheads, big enough for two, a linen closet full of good big hand-loomed Moroccan bath towels, a cleaning closet full of shower cleaning squeegees, herb-scented cleaning liquids, buckets, rags, swiffers with washable terrycloth heads, and perhaps a little wet vac.
I'd plan a ship's galley like landing strip by the door, with shoe storage, beach blanket, furniture, and tote storage, sunglasses, hats, SPF lotion, toys, picnic equipment, back packs, farmers' market string bags, etc.
I'd install as big a good Murphy bed as money can buy, with pillow and linen storage. Old French linen sheets and pillowcases, cotton blanket. Generous bedside lamps for readers in bed. Little bookshelves regularly purged.
Ship's galley kitchen, oven, and implements. White. I'd install a grill on a two-burner hob and superior ventilation to rid the tiny space of daily multiple fish cooking smells. A normal sized kitchen sink with spray faucets for my farmers' market fish and vegetables. Minimsl undercounter refrigerator. Low tech French press coffeepot, you barbarians, easy to keep clean with my locally made Manfred Savonnerie la Brique biodegradable coconut oil dish soap, and nice old cafe au lait bowls. Dinnerware for four, no more, from Le Poterie Not, including a diable to honor north Africa just across the water, and a massive white-glazed cassole, looking like a tagine, for the fruit and veg of the day, which, with the flapping bathing suits and herb drawings would be the only decoration. Zitoun Tunisian crackled glass opaline tumblers, no stemware, you barbarians. French naval mess kit cutlery for renters and the $2,500 locked-down white bone handled Laguiol flatware for me. You want shopping? I will teach you shopping. Big white damask napkins from the brocunt, a clean one for each meal, no napkin rings, you barbarians. Plain white tray to carry it all to the patio table.
I would install an owner's locked closet for personal goodies.
I'd install a vacuum system for complete sand control.
In loving memory of the wonderful Ermengarde of Narbonne, whose generosity gave rise to the troubadours, magnificent white homespun flax draperies, ceiling to floor, and plain white cotton voile inner curtains. A nice built in stereo system with Spotify's troubador playlist. Also the 60s French yeye girls playlist.
A pale stone floor, no skid, no carpet, silky, clean and cool for bare feet.
Nothing else. Some flowers, maybe, once in a while.
I’m sure you’re not in the market for a career change, but if you were I would seriously suggest a fulfilled living life coach. I would happily engage you to overhaul my life spaces. Your post is a recipe for simply, satisfying living.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 24
Egg and watercress are served traditionally served for afternoon tea at Harrods and the Ritz.

What are you planning for your HighTea/Gentleman's tea? They are becoming quite popular here now. We took hubby out for Gentleman's tea as a post birthday treat.
QUOTE="Jeeves, post: 19328702, member: 143804"]

[/QUOTE]
Oh yes! Delicious plus smoked salmon, cumber and ham finger sandwiches... I very occasionally take my sons, to Harrods or Harvey Nics. It's a very special treat although ridiculous prices. I'm glad I'm not a wealthy hag, if I did this all the time I wouldn't experience such joy and appreciation. 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I love how appetizingly she describes her work of picking garnishes from the gaahhhden.....yum!
Her descriptions just make me want to eat there! Her skin gets itchy and she's patting herself on the back for not poisoning her guests! Win-Win!!!

(Sadly, she has zero passion for what she's doing. None!)

1715803184136.png

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 27
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.