The Chateau Diaries #206 Shut it, Cameraman!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Travellers have children VERY young…. They have indicated their ancestry. They will most likely have been to Spain as they all tend to travel via Spain these days .
How they moved from Ireland to the Midlands. ? And for Billy to make it to the guards 💂 would certainly be an interesting vlog!
I used to have lots of customers from their culture when running my china and crystal shop….
Travellers love Waterford Crystal and Royal Crown Derby in particular. Also a penchant for YSL or similar label bags…..as you have noticed
Sound familiar..?

I can see Selmar doing some work with Bills encouragement but what will Tats do,,,, make a vegan cake…….
They don’t have the energy or skills to even pay their way. And Tats can only be in France 90 days a year.? Selmar still has his camper …..
My Paternal Grandfather was from the Traveller community. The family would work the fairground at the Epsom Derby. Mum told me that when she first began dating my Dad he took her to meet his Aunts and Uncles (he hated his father who was an extremely violent man, I never knew him nor have I ever met any of that side of the family) who he would visit when he could. Mum said their caravans took your breath away inside, all white leather (with clear plastic protectors over) furniture, chrome, mirrors and a huge collection of Crystal. She said you had to take your shoes off before going inside and she coudn't understand a word they said as they spoke in their dialect. They are a close knit group of people, marry at 16, with very outdated customs. In their eyes the more flashy you are shows wealth, doesn't do it for me I'm afraid certainly not inherited that gene. I even ended up doing a DNA test and I'm more Celtic/Breton than I am English and that must come from Dads paternal line as it's the only part of my family tree I have no info on and it's not featured in any other part of my family tree.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
My Paternal Grandfather was from the Traveller community. The family would work the fairground at the Epsom Derby. Mum told me that when she first began dating my Dad he took her to meet his Aunts and Uncles (he hated his father who was an extremely violent man, I never knew him nor have I ever met any of that side of the family) who he would visit when he could. Mum said their caravans took your breath away inside, all white leather (with clear plastic protectors over) furniture, chrome, mirrors and a huge collection of Crystal. She said you had to take your shoes off before going inside and she coudn't understand a word they said as they spoke in their dialect. They are a close knit group of people, marry at 16, with very outdated customs. In their eyes the more flashy you are shows wealth, doesn't do it for me I'm afraid certainly not inherited that gene. I even ended up doing a DNA test and I'm more Celtic/Breton than I am English and that must come from Dads paternal line as it's the only part of my family tree I have no info on and it's not featured in any other part of my family tree.
American here, can someone please explain what nationality "travellers" are or come from? Are they Romany gypsies? I know we have a gypsy culture here in the states, mostly in New Jersey. The families that run the amusements at county fairs all over the states come from Romany gypsies that have lived here for generations. They all travel in trailers from fair to fair. They keep to themselves and seem to have their own culture.

Reactions: 12
Consulting Teresa? There goes any taste! Just imagine him picking out kitchen cabinets from Facebook Marketplace for them!

DD0DFC46-4116-4575-BD12-3919811EAB05.jpeg

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 7
The Vicount and Vicountess of Hitchingsbrook will be opening their home to 12 people who book onto their historical tour. I must say it sounds lovely and if I wasn’t so busy this year I would think of booking on it.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
American here, can someone please explain what nationality "travellers" are or come from? Are they Romany gypsies? I know we have a gypsy culture here in the states, mostly in New Jersey. The families that run the amusements at county fairs all over the states come from Romany gypsies that have lived here for generations. They all travel in trailers from fair to fair. They keep to themselves and seem to have their own culture.
Travellers are usually Irish origins and are not Romany. The Romany are decended from the Roma ancient origins are from India but also from Greece, Bulgaria (Eastern Europe). Similar nomadic lifestyles but different cultures, different dialects. There are Gypsy, Roma and Irish Travellers. Those in the State would be my guess are of Irish decent. It's all a very closed community if you marry outside of it there can be problems as someone from outside a 'country' person or 'Gorger'. My Dad was a product of a traveller father and Gorger Mother a marriage and it didn't work. My Nan was violently beaten on a regular basis by her husband as was my Dad.

• Sad
Reactions: 14
Travellers are usually Irish origins and are not Romany. The Romany are decended from the Roma ancient origins are from India but also from Greece, Bulgaria (Eastern Europe). Similar nomadic lifestyles but different cultures, different dialects. There are Gypsy, Roma and Irish Travellers. Those in the State would be my guess are of Irish decent. It's all a very closed community if you marry outside of it there can be problems as someone from outside a 'country' person or 'Gorger'. My Dad was a product of a traveller father and Gorger Mother a marriage and it didn't work. My Nan was violently beaten on a regular basis by her husband as was my Dad.
Thank you for your response. The gypsy culture I'm familiar with in the states stem from Romany. I have never heard of Irish travellers in the states.

"Since the 19th century, the Romany people, or Gypsies, have found final resting places from their long travels in the cemeteries of northern New Jersey. Unlike many other ethnic groups, the Romany are unseen to all but the most persistent observers."

"Though the Romani population in the United States has largely assimilated into American society, the largest concentrations are in Southern California, the Pacific Northwest, Texas and the Northeast as well as in cities such as Chicago and St. Louis. They are sometimes referred as "American Gypsies.” "

Last edited:
Reactions: 13
Could you imagine the result if Fanny took a DNA test........... 90% trollop, 10% trailer trash.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
The gypsy culture I'm familiar with here Oregon comes from Romany. I don't know about the East Coast.

Though the Romani population in the United States has largely assimilated into American society, the largest concentrations are in Southern California, the Pacific Northwest, Texas and the Northeast as well as in cities such as Chicago and St. Louis. They are sometimes referred as "American Gypsies.”
Most live on static sites these days in the UK and then procede to make a bloody mess of it. Some do move into houses but still can't quite settle in them. I use to work for the Jobcentre back in the day in the UK and they were a pain in the backside. No one wanted to deal with them because they'd always play up in the office when they'd come to sign on for their benefit cheque. I use to draw the short straw but if you stand your ground you're fine. Here in France they seem to be better organised, they do travel about more throughout the year for work. They have to have a permit to use the designated traveller site and have to get the keys from the Mairie if it's not in use and they look after them as if they don't they won't get access to them again. I think the cultures these days have become more mixed

• Sad
Reactions: 16
I remember from college learning about Travellers and their genus. You are correct, they are different to Roma and other European gypsies. They appear around the 1600's, probably as a result of Cromwell, but in the intervening centuries the Great Famine and the Evictions addes to their numbers. They do keep themselves to themselves and disputes often end in brutal violence.

I remember from college learning about Travellers and their genus. You are correct, they are different to Roma and other European gypsies. They appear around the 1600's, probably as a result of Cromwell, but in the intervening centuries the Great Famine and the Evictions addes to their numbers. They do keep themselves to themselves and disputes often end in brutal violence.
Very brutal. I sometimes wonder if that's where my stubbon/fierey/arsey side comes from. Mum always said I had that side of the family's eyes. I've been doing family history but that side there is nothing on Ancestry, I've got to register with their own site.

Reactions: 11
So interesting to read here about the Irish Travellers as I'm not familiar with them. Through my grandfather's work, I did learn about our "American Gypsies" of Romani descent. I have also experienced the Romani gypsy culture in Portugal where they are tolerated. When we were in Evora a few years ago before Covid, gypsy children were sent out by their parents to beg from the tourists, quite an unpleasant sight. Of course, they made sure the children were dressed in rags and dirty to gain more sympathy. I have also seen them steal clothes from clothes lines. I don't envy them their lifestyle and they are ostracized by the locals. Amazingly enough, Romani gypsies have also migrated to Mexico. When we moved to Portland and were shopping for furniture, we stumbled into a most bizarre furniture store that showcased a lot of white leather furniture, giant reclining chairs and sofas! I wondered who the hell bought that kind of stuff? They also stocked a lot of blingy things like crystal lamps and even crystal studded velvet chairs and sofas. I think they may have a gypsy clientele. They marketed themselves as specializing in European furniture on their sign. Of course, I was expecting French country or modern Italian! 🤣 Earlier, someone posted about the travellers love of LV, how strange. I wondered why the Pethericks were so enamoured of the brand. Why Louis Vuitton?

So interesting to read here about the Irish Travellers as I'm not familiar with them. Through my grandfather's work, I did learn about our "American Gypsies" of Romani descent. I have also experienced the Romani gypsy culture in Portugal where they are tolerated. When we were in Evora a few years ago before Covid, gypsy children were sent out by their parents to beg from the tourists, quite an unpleasant sight. Of course, they made sure the children were dressed in rags and dirty to gain more sympathy. I have also seen them steal clothes from clothes lines. I don't envy them their lifestyle and they are ostracized by the locals. Amazingly enough, Romani gypsies have also migrated to Mexico. When we moved to Portland and were shopping for furniture, we stumbled into a most bizarre furniture store that showcased a lot of white leather furniture, giant reclining chairs and sofas! I wondered who the hell bought that kind of stuff? They also stocked a lot of blingy things like crystal lamps and even crystal studded velvet chairs and sofas. I think they may have a gypsy clientele. They marketed themselves as specializing in European furniture on their sign. Of course, I was expecting French country or modern Italian! 🤣 Earlier, someone posted about the travellers love of LV, how strange. I wondered why the Pethericks were so enamoured of the brand. Why Louis Vuitton?
They do love their bit of bling. Who knows why LV, suppose they think it sounds good. They don't do it for me.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
The Vicount and Vicountess of Hitchingsbrook will be opening their home to 12 people who book onto their historical tour. I must say it sounds lovely and if I wasn’t so busy this year I would think of booking on it.
I saw that too. It did sound interesting. I do think having to listen to Julie Montagu say “literally” over and over again in that affected way would literally drive me crazy.

Here’s the link to their tour website.

• Haha
I remember reading this article which explains origins of several famous gypsies

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
Back to the Travellers again! I remember seeing them portrayed in an episode of Midsomer Murders. I also saw that Peaky Blinders is based on travellers. I couldn't watch that series as it is too violent for my taste. I have heard that the traveller menfolk often solve their problems through violence. I also watched a BBC series about traveller young women being trained to make gypsy style wedding gowns, that was interesting! Tough society to grow up in for both males and females.

Reactions: 8
How generous of you! We had sunny beautiful days with amazing views so really crowded. I was so scared to book because of my foot because sometimes I still have problems to even walk stairs. But then I pulled a Stephanie and didn't think of the consequences and went for it (should have saved up the money for retirement instead 🙄) But I fear in 10 years it will be only possible to go on the glacier. For those who like to check out reflections...
Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. Thank you for posting the beautiful picture. I took the liberty of running it through my dark / light ultra reverse osmosis filter and low and behold…
6379B02F-5FF3-4932-9C57-699C0F86B5FE.jpeg

Brenda Gibbons yet again. Not today Satan!
E37C0746-4618-47DA-8D0E-01973593BF01.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
Back to the Travellers again! I remember seeing them portrayed in an episode of Midsomer Murders. I also saw that Peaky Blinders is based on travellers. I couldn't watch that series as it is too violent for my taste. I have heard that the traveller menfolk often solve their problems through violence. I also watched a BBC series about traveller young women being trained to make gypsy style wedding gowns, that was interesting! Tough society to grow up in for both males and females.
The first 2 minutes of this show one of the ways the Irish travelling community chose a wife. 😟

It starts at the end of the 2 minutes so you need to go back to the beginning

• Wow
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.