Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

ploppityplop2

VIP Member
I have my modern tea cups that we use daily. They can be put in the dishwasher and they aren’t very expensive so when my mum inevitably drops them it isn’t the end of the world.

We have some old tea sets that belonged to my grandma and some to my great grandma. We use them on special occasions and they are really beautiful and also meaningful as they are heirlooms now - but the fuss of hand washing them all and I’m petrified of breaking them. Most of them are display only right now.

I really don’t get why she would stockpile so many of them. When serving so many people the hand washing up at the end must be insane! And I bet you aren’t doing it. You can’t display them anywhere and you only need so many plates and cups. Are you feeding a large country or the typical upto 6 guests and max 6 or so people who are staying to work?
What she needs are some sturdy shelves

I'm not an expert but sheep get maggots if they're not shorn in timely fashion. Every Google source I checked said shearing time is early spring, pre lambing.
I know Kirsty knows this stuff and am really grateful she is in charge and Stephanie is not.
I thought she handled the sheep in a calming manner, which is one of many humane issues around shearing. The sheep seemed calm and happy to let her relieve them of their suffocating coats.
Maybe Kirsty could be gently reminded to do it in March or April.
Maybe she'll rescue the chickens and the pea fowl next, by removing Thor's daughter from the premises. (Inbred peafowl = blind and crippled offspring.)
It's never too late to file a complaint against Jarvis with the animal abuse authorities.
Wasn’t Grant meant to be doing it?

Reactions: 10

billybudd

VIP Member
Ah thank you for the back reference on where the quote came from. The wit of Ms Parker!
With regard to Grant - I remember the discussion about his tattoos & didn't reply at the time but I remember now I looked up what the 3 XXX meant.
Not sure if this is the reason he has it but it seems to come from : Straight edge (sometimes abbreviated sXe or signified by XXX or X) is a subculture of hardcore punk whose adherents refrain from using alcohol, tobacco, and other recreational drugs, in reaction to the excesses of punk subculture. Maybe the look of doom when offered alcohol by dimwit Phi Phi might have been because he's made it clear he's tee total? Perhaps he is there to try to save the cult from their excesses!!!
That's good info. I was more interested in why Pheeph would call across the courtyard on camera to somebody who was obviously avoiding him by scuttling along the perimeter of the courtyard (avoiding booze maybe, but also perhaps fresh from a liaison Pheeph knows about.
(I wouldn't put it past Pheeph, if Grant is teetotal, to screw him over on camera around it.
(The question remains -- why?)
And here, on the scruples of Mother Abbess Clara who rightly does not speculate about philanderers with families, I must shut my tattling mouth.

• Heart

mrsp67

VIP Member
My question is this, what would happen if everyone started posting negative harsh remarks on her actual videos. the latest cadeau again made me gag with the incessant comments by the nutless wonder boy. Shut up for gods sake.
The entire gag was the usual snot filled gushing.

• Sick

Kickintheass

VIP Member
I've just finished watching "It's a sin". Missed it originally on TV but now on Netflix. About AIDS in 1980's and one line struck a chord. "He's an actor and sings songs from musicals, of course he's gay".

• Haha

M&MsMom

VIP Member
Has anyone watch Snowflake Mountain on Netflix. I’d not heard of it until about 10 mins ago when the trailer showed up on my YouTube account.
After watching it I think that Fanny should apply on Philips behalf. Apparently it was the parents who set up for their 20’s snowflakes to go on it.

I've heard of it - I read about it just this morning, as a matter of fact! Sounds like "Survivor".........people are getting all worked up over the title.
Meh. Bigger fish to fry than being called "Snowflake", in my opinion.

• Haha
QUOTE="The Simple Life, post: 10361399, member: 319802"]
Thank you, great find! In fact one of the characteristics of Italian food and cooking - and Italian culture in general - is the unbelivable number and varieties, even whitin a small area. Due to the great variety of the territory, climate, microclimate, soil etc. there are thousands of different recipes of the same dish, like pasta, rice, meat, fish, vegetables, cakes and pastries and they can vary greatly even from one town or village to the next one.
But what is not very well known is that in Italy there are about 500 types of cheese and many of them are DOP (protected origin denomination). Many of them are produced only in a very small area, like many types of wines or olive oil, or ham and salami that are not enough to be exported, just like some fruit and vegetables which are grown in small areas and are of a superior quality.
Unfortunately our government, like the past ones, has not helped our agriculture, as if the foolish project were to destroy as much as possible of it. I don't want to discuss this here, but it's very sad.
It's true of France too. The traditional dish from the area I live in is Cassoulet (that narrows the area down) and every mamie has her own recipe. As does every butcher. Each town has it's own twist with ingredients. The best Cassoulet I have had is from Castelnaudary, and I've tried a few! De Gaulle famously once said - "how can you govern a country that has more than 246 varieties of cheese". That was probably 70 or 80 years ago and there's a hell of a lot more out there now. Sadly, imho, France has somewhat lost the plot when it comes to food. What was once considered the gastronomic capital of the world has now succumbed to McCain oven chips being de riggeur in just about every household in France. New build houses no longer have operational kitchens, just a scullery type thing in the corner with a microwave (same thing happened in the UK 20 years ago. That was one of my cues to get out). France is, I believe, McDonald's biggest global success story! The country where it was said it would never take off!!! Granted, there are still some shining stars and gems but you have to seek them out like buried treasure. This is why shit'o-lane fanny could do so much better. The veg garden is in no way exploited enough. Local produce is out there and available but, like the current generation of French house"people" (note I did not use the term housewives or femme de foyer in French) she is lazy and tight with the money. And frankly couldn't give a fuck.

Sorry, I copied this over from the last thread. I took so long compiling my response it timed out. New thread already. Again.
[/QUOTE]
Informative post, thanks.
Your description of all the versions of the same dish in Italy reminds me of the variation in Stuffing recipes in North America. Some people put sausage in theirs and others include nuts and dried cranberries; some like it soggy and some dry. No matter what, every family defends their own family recipe, and would die on that hill.

Not quite as interesting as the food in France and Italy!

• Heart

Albee

VIP Member
They haven’t set themselves up as a charitable association as far as I’m aware
They have. They can only use their funds for restoration. The out buildings and garden. I don't think they can us it for the kitchen. I could be wrong but they have definitely set up an association. Interesting that their accounts are not published either.

• Wow

Iolair

VIP Member
him being a real Aussie, he easily could have cooked this

Grant wouldn't have cooked that. He's visited the USA and if he'd ever eaten in an Outback Steakhouse, he would have laughed himself stupid at the whole 'Aussie dining' concept. Having eaten in an American Outback Steakhouse myself it’s not an experience I'd care to repeat. Australians btw, don't eat 'bloomin' onions'. They are a wholly American invention that very few Aussies would have ever heard of or even tried. There's not a single thing on their menu that could be considered 'Australian'. They've just taken otherwise ordinary recipes and stuck what they believe to be Aussie names on them. Pathetic.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart

Isabelle6541

I wasn't insinuating that Tattle would be quoted? I asked Clara a question about whether or not Miss Jarvis was nervous about your piece being published.

I sure as hell would be!
I did not take it that way but it prompted me to make sure I mentioned it so thank you. Also - I was yelling. Sorry. xo

billybudd

VIP Member
In the old houses the first/ground floor has always been for servants, workers, animals and for storage. You can see it in Lalande also from the low ceilings. The grand rooms would have been stairs up. The guest bedrooms have beautiful ceiling height.

When (and if) they'll start re-pointing it'll be interesting to see if any traces of the old structure come visible.
Fascinating. My guy at the Auvergnat fortified farmhouse says the same.

Attachments

billybudd

VIP Member
I’m picking an egg and mayo sandwich, pickled herring and Speculaas cookies affair. An Anglo/Dutch collaboration rather than your froggoise. Snorty Hur,hur will be designated decorator ( go frigging figure!). He will naturally draw inspiration from dearly, departed granny’s afternoon provincial tea parties. It’ll be all paper Delft napkins and toothpicks in ceramic clogs 😉
What were those things Selmar used to put on toothpicks? Pickled onions and cubes of super skanky cheese?

• Haha

mousepanda8

VIP Member
@Isabelle6541 - looking forward to seeing your expose. will it be a video format or book or a podcast?

How hard has it been to find insiders willing to talk?

when do you think we can enjoy your hard work?

• Heart

billybudd

VIP Member
OMG I'm a VIP!!!! I nominate this when it's my turn. @ComtesseRose
Congratulations! Summer solstice Kalimotxos all around at the fish shack.
Some Marcona almonds. Some manchego sticks. A few slices Spanish chorizo.....

• Heart