The Archie Battersbee case

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Very sad to hear this situation is being dragged out. I hope the staff are being protected from any hostility.

The public need to adopt a more stoic approach towards life and death related matters. Sadly, not everyone has the cognitive abilities or strength of character in order to do this, but everyone managed in years gone by - war, infection, death in childbirth etc. so it can be done. They had no other choice. Life is temporary and fragile and we have no power over it really.

Staff - of all grades - suffer what is termed 'Moral Injury' when told they must do what is against their personal and moral conscience. You end up feeling akin to a state sanctioned torturer and many people have breakdowns or leave their professions because of it. They're not automatons who are merely following orders. The patient and relatives aren't the only ones suffering when these situations occur.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
The group has gone private on Facebook.
The Archie's Army page has descended into fighting/baiting pages that agree with Drs that Archie should be let go and what was initially supportive and concerned comments have now become nonsensical (looking forward to talking Archie out for food, getting him to meet their kids and pets). A lot of these people seem to genuinely believe that Archie will wake up as if nothing has happened and be exactly as he was before.

• Sad
Reactions: 14
Yes Alfie Evans suddenly ballooned as well, it's really not a good sign at all! Poor Archie :(

Do we know when the appeal is set for?
It’s often a sign that someone’s in the last days of their life. Sometimes peoples skin starts to look a bit waxy and they tend to lose colour too.

Very sad :(

• Sad
Reactions: 12
I have to say that I agree with many of you that I don't believe that this was a TikTok trend gone wrong, if it was, more would have been said to stop other kids doing the same.

The family are in an impossible situation and it's heartbreaking, but once they are over their denial, they might be less angry to the doctors and nurses who work around the clock and really hard for sick children. It must be absolutely harrowing for them too.

Reactions: 23
I don't think it was a TikTok trend kids would know where that's a big no,no as far as dares go , they've actually got a GFM up and running they were live on FB( from his bedside) a few weeks , if it is the case he's not as bad as the doctors are making out he should be able to support his own breathing after the tubes are removed ,they will then have to offer him support and re-evaluate his condition.

Reactions: 4
I think Hollie herself has said she never named the video site. However the Instagram page certainly did and Hollie did not correct that hence I think the media grabbing on to that site. To be fair to Hollie she may not be running that account or even aware of half the content.
Sadly once life support is withdrawn it is highly unlikely Archie will maintain any of his own functions. The parts of the brain responsible are damaged and this is turn has caused extensive damage to his brain stem. His body isn’t even absorbing nutrients properly because the brain can no longer communicate with the gut. This is why Archie is losing weight and not because “he is being starved” (Hollie’s accusation).
the next thing will just be multiple organ failure.
They need to let him go before his skin starts breaking down (if this hasn’t already started).
Glad that “army” page is now private. The family have shared some truly disturbing images of this poor child and it doesn’t give him any dignity at all.

Reactions: 16
His brain stem has actually fallen down to his lumbar region (lower back) according to the court papers, there can't possibly be any coming back from that.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 21
They did an unofficial apnoea test (removing the ventilator to test breathing), it seems that Archie’s heart beats on its own (with medications) but he doesn’t breathe on his own.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
His heart will be “beating” because he is likely on inotropes/vasopressors. If they are stopped, his BP/HR will likely be non existent. His body will be requiring a lot of aggressive treatment to keep going at the moment, and I use the word testament very, very loosely as what he is receiving isn’t treatment at all, it’s pro-longing, unnecessary intervention. 😔

• Sad
Reactions: 40
This may sound harsh but these cases do nobody and good, least of all the children at the centre of them, and their parents whose delusions are stoked by mawkish imbecile online with zero medical knowledge.

• Heart
Reactions: 41
Mum has been on GB news or similar in the last 24hrs accusing the hospital of neglect. Just duck off Hollie, I know you are grieving but stop insulting the highly trained and highly intelligent people providing exemplary care for your child. Try getting info from them rather than “Tasha/any other name” who has one GCSE and doesn’t know her arse from her elbow.
Pisses me off.

• Heart
Reactions: 64
I naively thought things would change after the last few cases like this, but once again we have a prime candidate for the Dunning Kruger award leading the social media narrative on medical ethics .

• Heart
Reactions: 17
For someone who claims she just wants to spend more time with her son, shes not spending much time with him is she? Doing all these bloody interviews all the time! She did 4 in one day at one point!

• Sad
Reactions: 19
The media needs to stop giving these delusional people air time.

Reactions: 23
I became aware of this case after the This Morning interview, my very initial thought watching that was, why would any mother be on national television whilst her son was lying dead/dying in hospital. She had absolutely no need to physically be there, they had Ella representing them, she could've written a short statement for her to read and just explained she wanted to spend her time with her son.
She actually sat in hair and makeup whilst her child was lying in hospital apparently being 'treated badly' by hospital staff. It doesn't add up. She clearly has a past and obviously wants fame of some sort.

I've seen she's stated the 2 go fund me accounts havent been touched but they will be used to give Archie the best send off ever and then anything left will be used to help them rebuild their lives. It's absolutely disgusting and wrong.

• Wow
Reactions: 46
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.