The Archie Battersbee case

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My heart goes out to his family. The grief vultures make me so angry. Their army page is just awful saying vile things about the judge, the doctors and anyone who brings up medical evidence.
Also I find it really creepy when complete strangers to this boy are saying they love him and are putting up photos and buying t shirts? I’m sorry but that’s sick. Posting images of this wee boy in a nappy on a ventilator just seems wrong.

Reactions: 39
My heart goes out to his family. The grief vultures make me so angry. Their army page is just awful saying vile things about the judge, the doctors and anyone who brings up medical evidence.
Also I find it really creepy when complete strangers to this boy are saying they love him and are putting up photos and buying t shirts? I’m sorry but that’s sick. Posting images of this wee boy in a nappy on a ventilator just seems wrong.
And the people clamouring to get attention by getting their children to post messages in the group or saying how their child wants to raise money etc. It’s a competition to get the most likes and it’s horrible.
I think the picture of Archie in the nappy upset a lot of people and perhaps lost his mum some support. It’s a very distressing image, what some seem to see as him being deliberately starved, others recognise as a body that is not going to recover.

Reactions: 28
Oh come on now. If you’re not medically trained in any way you don’t have the knowledge of the treatment options, the options available, how to administer them, what the side effects might be (that they don’t tell you about on google), how difficult the treatment would be, what the quality of life impact is, I could go on. It’s not a class issue so don’t try and make it one.

If you’d like, feel free to change that sentence to Susan who has never worked a day in her life because Daddy’s trust fund pays for her lifestyle and she’s never needed to.
You made it a class issue when you sneered at supermarket workers. There was no need.

I am fully aware that only those trained in medicine know about medicine. The fact remains that people have the right to make informed choices about their own bodies. Everything you mentioned in the first paragraph should be discussed with patients, if they’d like to.

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
All of this is just delaying the inevitable and it’s not fair on that poor child, or the doctors and nurses who are caring for him. I don’t mean to sound heartless because I’m absolutely not, but people are being so naive considering the medical evidence in this case.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
All of this is just delaying the inevitable and it’s not fair on that poor child, or the doctors and nurses who are caring for him. I don’t mean to sound heartless because I’m absolutely not, but people are being so naive considering the medical evidence in this case.
Agreed
Its really really sad, those who are supporting the family in their denial are adding pointless fuel to a pointless fire and should have a hard look at themselves.
Let the poor kid pass with dignity.

Reactions: 18
As I have said before I'm local. So there are lots of local articles as well as the national ones. The amount of comments on facebook that say something along the lines of "a mothers instinct is stronger than a doctors opinion" or "mum knows best" are absolutely insane. Honestly blows my mind

I understand mothers instinct when it comes to a virus or something and to a doctor it looks like nothing is wrong but mum knows child/baby isn't behaving normally. But when you are talking about complex medical matters the people with medical training know best.

One article yesterday claims he is reacting to his mums voice and music. Funny how the tests the doctors did showed nothing of the sort. She keeps claiming he squeezes her hand. I'm no medic but even I know about involuntary muscle reactions.

Reactions: 45
I remember having to come off social media with the Charlie Gard and Alfie Evans cases. Their "armies" were full of low IQ huns who clearly had no basic understanding of the medical judgement. I feel that they did far more harm to those families than good and the same appears to be happening here :(

Reactions: 49
I remember having to come off social media with the Charlie Gard and Alfie Evans cases. Their "armies" were full of low IQ huns who clearly had no basic understanding of the medical judgement. I feel that they did far more harm to those families than good and the same appears to be happening here :(
I agree, the Alfie Evans case was particularly awful. There were other children spending their final days of life on Alfie's ward, and each day their families had to run the gauntlet of the "army" outside, shouting and making threats against the medical staff, whilst on the ward itself, certain family members were being abusive and security guards needed bringing in. What a terrible experience for those poor children and their loved ones.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 51
I get the mother’s reaction to an extent, he’s her son and she doesn’t want to let go, as long as he’s physically here she can delay the grieving process but at some point she must know she has to accept that he’s already gone. Even if by some miracle he was to regain consciousness he won’t ever be the same again. In my opinion he deserves to rest in peace now 😢 A beautiful child and an awful tragedy.
I also believe he was trying to take his own life. ADHD would make him more prone to impulsive decisions or taking risks. He’d also be more vulnerable to depressive episodes and suicidal tendencies, ADHD is more debilitating than most people realise. Poor kid.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
As a nurse I am getting to the point of wanting abusive relatives removed …even IF they are parents of a dying child who cannot be saved.
It’s never happened but the Charlie Gard case sickened me, These people supporting such behaviour are low IQ arseholes with no idea of the safeguards in place to look at brain death.

Archie isn’t in a coma, Archie died to all intents and purposes at the end of May.

That said…he is not in any pain and I support his Mum doing what she feels she has to do in order to cope with life once the inevitable occurs.

Reactions: 40
I made the error of commenting on a news article on Facebook about Archie. I don’t know why I did it because I usually scroll past things like that. It was a nice comment but factual and all day I’ve had notifications with nasty comments responding to me, presumably people from the army. I could understand it if I’d written something awful but I didn’t. They seem to think the judgement is made up, he is alive and responding to his mum/music and the hospital just want his organs. I find it really scary how many people out there lack any ability to understand quite basic facts and also lack any critical thinking skills, instead choosing to believe what they see written on Facebook.

• Wow
Reactions: 36
I'm going to be honest here. Archie's mother was not the most devoted so her rebranding sticks in my craw.

Reactions: 38
Wonder if she would be doing this if she lived in the States and had to pay. Good thing it’s ‘free’ 🤔

Reactions: 15
Death, especially that of a child, has become more 'taboo' and unacceptable. I'm not sure why this has happened but probably due to improved (well, perhaps not so much recently) living conditions, longer general life expectancy, technological advancements, the culture of self-preservation, decrease in religion and beliefs in an afterlife and many other factors. People don't want to face it.

My grandmother had 13 children in the 1920s- 1940s. Only 6 survived beyond the toddler years and became adults. That wasn't uncommon, in poorer areas where religion and poverty had compounding effects. It's not as common, now. Firstly, people aren't having such large families (birth control) and there has not, here, since been a major war that has decimated the population. Improvements in medicine have raised expectations, often way beyond their practical application.

How would Archie's mum, should she 'win' her case, feel when all the media attention dies down and grim reality sets in? She would have a lifelong commitment to her severely disabled son and even the strongest person would at times feel utterly debilitated. Furthermore, has she thought about Archie's possible experience and what it would mean to him, even if he had very basic sentience? It IS heartbreaking but there is no way to bypass grief. Eventually, you have to go through it and the more 'baggage' (i.e. seeing him wasting away) that is acquired along the way will make memories all the more traumatic and painful.

Guilt might also be feeding into her lashing out at others. Wondering about the 'only ifs', knowing he had challenges and not always being to help him...who knows? It's a horrendous position to be in.

Reactions: 22
Wonder if she would be doing this if she lived in the States and had to pay. Good thing it’s ‘free’ 🤔
Well there have been similar cases in the USA eg Jahi McMath, Terri Schiavo. I'm not sure how it works. One of Archie's mum's GFMs is to fund medical bills apparently as well.

Reactions: 5
Just saw a comment on Facebook suggesting they should try holy water to wake Archie up. I honestly thought it was a joke but turns out it wasn’t! 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 30
The last photos show him bloated, probably form all the fluids. It does look healthier but its far from.
Yes Alfie Evans suddenly ballooned as well, it's really not a good sign at all! Poor Archie :(

Do we know when the appeal is set for?

• Sad
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.