The Archie Battersbee case

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Content warning: suicide, child loss, death

What does everyone think of this tragic case.

Basically 12 year old Archie is braindead, and his body is being kept alive by a ventilator. He has zero hope of recovery or survival.

He was an accomplished gymnast and boxer, and suffered from ADHD, missing years of school because none would accept him.

On the 7th of April he was found hanging over the stairs from his landing bannisters with a dressing gown cord around his neck. His mother insists that it was a Tiktok blackout prank gone wrong, or an accident, but it seems obvious that it was suicide. She is very shifty about what happened immediately before this incident. Something about Archie putting his pet rabbit in a shower bag as a “prank”. I speculate that he got a big telling off for this and she feels guilty and is in denial.

Archie was not found for 10 minutes, and overall his brain is thought to have lacked oxygen for 40 minutes.

His family are fighting to keep him on the ventilator, and to avoid having him declared dead. They have lost their case at the High Court, and the judge ruled that Archie had officially died and the hospital were permitted to withdraw treatment. The family will appeal on Monday, and if they lose that their final option is the Supreme Court.

The issue is that under UK law, if the brainstem is dead, a person is legally dead. In order to be declared brainstem dead, a 7 step test must be carried out. This test was unable to be administered to Archie, because the peripheral nerve part of the test didn’t work at all. (I suspect this is because of the spinal cord decomposition). He is the only person to have been legally declared brainstem dead without the tests being carried out. The judge made this decision based on MRI scans showing the terrible state of Archie’s brain.
The brainstem has been pushed down into the spinal cord by the brain swelling. The brainstem is 50% damaged and 10-20% necrotic. The brain has no blood flow, is swollen and cone-shaped, has areas of fluid build up from the liquid released by dead brain cells, and there is zero brain activity at all, as seen on his last electroencephalogram. The spinal cord also has two areas of necrosis, and necrotic tissue (possibly from Archies brain) has fallen out and is sitting in the lumbar spinal cord.

Their legal fees are being paid for by Christian Concern. The family have become Christian since the tragedy and have had them all, including Archie, baptised.

At first the mother was in complete denial of the hopelessness of Archie’s condition, and was begging for him to have the time to heal so he could come home. Gradually the family have changed their hopes and now say they accept that he will die, but the want it to happen “naturally” rather than having the plug pulled.

The mother in general has strong denial, including claiming the MRI showing the catastrophic brain damage was not Archie’s scan. She is very suspicious of the doctors and nurses and makes a lot of accusations towards them. Most notably that they are starving Archie. The issue is that when they give him feed, he gets diarrhoea and loses more fluid than they put in. He is losing a lot of fluid due to high urine output and the diarrhoea, issues both caused by the brain damage (his kidneys and bowels are not receiving the correct signals). So they have to limit his feed and he is visibly starving. But this is not deliberate.

Archie’s uncontrollable fluid output is putting a strain on his heart and he may not last long even on a ventilator.

For me the ethical dilemma is that should hospitals have a rights to choose when to kill someone? But also if Archie is left with his brain dead and body alive, will that stop his spirit moving on to Heaven or being reborn?

It’s a very sad case anyway, and I hope the mum doesn’t blame herself for his (probable) suicide.

• Sad
Reactions: 22
It’s an awful case, I live not far from them so it’s big news here. I hasn’t heard that it might be a potential suicide. It is immaterial really as whatever the cause he is in a dire condition with no hope of recovery. it’s only the machinery keeping him going and he has sadly died. I do feel for the family though.

Reactions: 10
Reminds me a lot of the Alfie Evans case which ended with the dad attempting to privately prosecute the doctors for murder. Which obviously didn't work.

Reactions: 14
I'm local so it is on our local news as well as national news.

I never bought the story about a tiktok trend, tiktok made someone apologise for as it hasn't been proven it was anything to do with them.

There was a interview with the family the other day where they said they believe life starts from a heartbeat and he has a heartbeat so should be classed as alive. My response to that would be turn off the machines and see how long he lives then.

They have appealed the decision so he is still being ventilated at the moment while that goes through.

I think it is grossly unfair. They need to let the poor boy go

• Heart
Reactions: 52
It’s such a sad case. As a mother with a son, I feel desperately sorry for her and can understand her denial.

It does seem unlikely to be a prank to me to be found like that, but then 12 years old seems so young to take your life in that way 😰

Based on the medical findings it sounds like he has zero chance of ever recovering and his mother needs to accept that, even though it is incredibly hard.

I think in cases like this the hospital should have a right to make that decision when investigations have taken place and there is evidence of no real chance of recovery. A family member is too involved to make such a decision and would never let go.

I don’t personally believe in a god or after life, so there is no ethical dilemma there for me.

Reactions: 27
I was going to start a post about this case. I have a lot of sympathy for the family but at this point they are thinking of their own best interests not that of the child they loved.
The Facebook group is made up of people who are ignorant, when people comment with anything factual, no matter how kindly they are attacked and the comment deleted
It’s feels awful to say but they are essentially appealing to have Archies dead and decaying body kept in hospital, cared for by staff who they are accusing of all sorts of disgusting things.

Reactions: 56
I was going to start a post about this case. I have a lot of sympathy for the family but at this point they are thinking of their own best interests not that of the child they loved.
The Facebook group is made up of people who are ignorant, when people comment with anything factual, no matter how kindly they are attacked and the comment deleted
It’s feels awful to say but they are essentially appealing to have Archies dead and decaying body kept in hospital, cared for by staff who they are accusing of all sorts of disgusting things.
your final paragraph is where i’m at too :(

i fully get that his parents cannot face up to letting him go, but the poor boy is medically dead. he has a heartbeat because machines are keeping it going. let him pass away with dignity, not to be kept “alive” so that his family can still visit him.

Reactions: 21
It’s so heart breaking. I don’t know what the right thing is to be honest because as a mother I can feel her pain and I don’t know if I’d be able to accept it if I was in her shoes. I think sitting from the outside looking in I know what the right thing is to do because it’s prolonging the inevitable but my goodness I couldn’t imagine being in her situation it’s unthinkable.

It puts the medical staff in an unimaginable position. I feel for anyone in that predicament it’s something no one should be faced with. I hope they find the strength to carry them through this nightmare and that he can rest in peace.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I'm also not sure about the tik tok explanation, but I guess it's easier to accept a trick went wrong than a 12 year old taking their own life. I can't begin to imagine what the family must be going through and of course they will want to fight to the end but as others have said let the poor boy go now with dignity.

Reactions: 11
tragic story. Cant imagine any doctor or hospital wouldn’t do their utmost to save the life of a child, so it’s not a case of who is right and who is wrong. If there is no chance of improvement which clearly that’s the case then what else is there to do other than remove his life support. Truly sad for them but if he is brain dead then he’s already gone. Poor lad.

Reactions: 9
It is so good to finally see people talking common sense about this case somewhere on the internet. I agree with all the above. He is already dead and I hope his mother can come to accept that. I also agree that it sounds like a suicide not a tiktok challenge.

There's been a lot of people commenting on news articles saying "any mother would do the same" and I think that must be very upsetting for parents who have had to make the decision to turn off life support.

• Sad
Reactions: 55
It’s so tragic but in his case the hospital isnt killing him, he is already dead. His heart is beating because the machine is doing that.

I understand that his mother is fighting this but she is also spreading lies about the hospital and staff.

Reactions: 27
There was a very interesting thread on Mumsnet about this case, but unsurprisingly it got pulled.

• Wow
  • Sad
One of the reasons why I left nursing was because I couldn't deal with hostile, misguided relatives who had grossly unrealistic expectations. As tragic as it is, the focus of care needs to be centered around what's best for the patient. Keeping someone alive in a vegetative or comatose state with no realistic chance of a proper survival with a return to reasonable function is cruel.

The Christian people funding it are fools because Christianity doesn't dictate that medics should strive against all odds to maintain existence. Allowing a natural death is absolutely allowed, even for Catholics and Orthodox Christians. Pulling the plug isn't killing someone, it's allowing nature - God - to take its course.

Tragedies happen. Part of being a human is having to deal with these things. It's the price we pay for having higher consciousness.

There was a very interesting thread on Mumsnet about this case, but unsurprisingly it got pulled.
Mumsnet are totally neurotic about death related issues and topics. It's almost as though it's not part of life 🙄

• Heart
Reactions: 56
One of the reasons why I left nursing was because I couldn't deal with hostile, misguided relatives who had grossly unrealistic expectations. As tragic as it is, the focus of care needs to be centered around what's best for the patient. Keeping someone alive in a vegetative or comatose state with no realistic chance of a proper survival with a return to reasonable function is cruel.

The Christian people funding it are fools because Christianity doesn't dictate that medics should strive against all odds to maintain existence. Allowing a natural death is absolutely allowed, even for Catholics and Orthodox Christians. Pulling the plug isn't killing someone, it's allowing nature - God - to take its course.

Tragedies happen. Part of being a human is having to deal with these things. It's the price we pay for having higher consciousness.

Mumsnet are totally neurotic about death related issues and topics. It's almost as though it's not part of life 🙄
I think the Battersbee family even got baptised in hospital so they could join a Christian organisation that see themselves as an army for kids that are on a vent and to fight the cases where the hospital want to end that.

It just annoys me that his mother spreads false information and that people believe her. There were some posts where she claimed that let his central line dirty with poo only it was on a plaster from his catheter. They brought a bunny in hospital. She claimed that the move patients closer to nurses station and thats like a grading system for which kids to kill off firts.

Beside, Archie´s case is tragic but it´s not the first time his mother has sought media attention with regards to her son.

• Wow
Reactions: 36
I was reading that thread too, it had some really well informed posters on there who clearly work in this field and also stories from people who have faced difficult situations with loved ones. I don’t know what was posted that caused them to pull the thread but it’s a shame that it was deleted.

Tragedies happen. Part of being a human is having to deal with these things. It's the price we pay for having higher consciousness
This is the thing: it’s man keeping Archie alive now, not God. Also it’s not possible for Archie to be suffering in the earthly sense because his brain is mostly destroyed, but surely they would worry about his soul being trapped on earth and kept out of heaven while he’s being artificially kept alive?

It’s not possible for humans to know what consciousness is, or what happens after death, what is happening here is actually grossly against nature and playing God.

Reactions: 23
Reading the medical details in the Judgement was really upsetting. That poor child shouldn't be subjected to this. And I say this as a Mum who lost a child.

I think there is a huge backstory behind this and his Mum is lashing out at all the wrong people - understandably, I'd add.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 50
It's an incredibly tragic situation and I really feel for his family. Dealing with loss is always hard, but when it comes to a 12 year old boy I can't even imagine what that must be like.

I think it's a shame that the family are implying the doctors and nurses haven't done their best by Archie, though. They are very dedicated people and they don't deserve it. That said, it's only natural for family to want to seek blame when something like this happens. It's not rational, but understandable.

Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.