The Anna Edit #13 The lying liar who lies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If I hear “I get so much wear out of it” one more time, I will lose it. It is meant to be worn MANY times!

• Haha
Reactions: 35
I have a problem with the word “invesment” when buying clothes in general. A house is an investment. A fashion item barely is, unless maybe certain Chanel bags or Hermes.

But generally, they’re just purchases, and some last longer than others. Calling it an “investment” is just a way to make sound nicer, an excuse for buying it.
It’s only an investment when it’s a one-off. It’s no longer an investment when she buys/has been gifted her 5th beige knit sweater.

Reactions: 23
Maybe they are called the beige investments in the Newton's beige world. Most of which - predictable, boring and sleep inducing. She will be a pioneer of nothing new or original. Anna is a great follower, a little sheep, and beige suits her nicely!

• Haha
Reactions: 10
It’s only an investment when it’s a one-off. It’s no longer an investment when she buys/has been gifted her 5th beige knit sweater.
maybe she thinks she’s the equivalent of a property mogul. Knitwear mogul?

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Latest video “Getting ready for Christmas” most of which entails - wait for it - the eagerly-awaited Waitrose products collaboration. Well we did call that one !

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 29
I don't even know why I'm still watching her videos like she's magically going to change.
The entire video, especially the first minute, is like a best of aggravating bullshit and phrases. Constant fake giggling, everything is an ad, Mark is a bleeping creep

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 35
Well, she is back to her pre baby weight but not significantly smaller maybe Mark has improved his photography skills lol?

I was so distracted by Anna’s jaw, I know is not her fault.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I feel like I’m not really sure who her target audience is anymore. Most parents wouldn’t spend a child free afternoon baking a ginger bread house. Im saying that as a mother of a 3 year old! My first Christmas with my little one, I had crippling anxiety and was quite honestly burnt out. I just find her videos disingenuous now, which is a shame because I’ve followed anna for about 6 years

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
I’m not sure who here recommended Use Less DK (Signe) to follow, but I really feel like she’s everything Nanna tried (is trying?) to be when she went ‘Edited’. Signe also had a kid recently but seems to have managed that transition better. She also has ‘investment pieces’ but they’re like, 3-4 items in her wardrobe. Which makes sense. Not every item can be an investment piece, as a bunch of you have said. But I would recommend following her if you want content around capsule-y wardrobes and buying less. She does really good style advice!

Also just wanted to point out that for better or worse, ‘invest’ in the manner Nanna issues it is one of the top definitions. Though I’d be curious how recently that became acceptable…

Attachments

Reactions: 15
I freaking LOVE Signe. I think the major difference is that she actually has talent, and approaches her job very professionally, unlike Anna on both counts there.

For example, she shows how you can mend and adapt clothes in your ACTUAL capsule wardrobe, and has taken the time to become a qualified stylist and colour expert.

She also doesn’t endlessly buy new stuff, she just shows the same “pieces” over and over, alongside her thrift purchases.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Maybe they are called the beige investments in the Newton's beige world. Most of which - predictable, boring and sleep inducing. She will be a pioneer of nothing new or original. Anna is a great follower, a little sheep, and beige suits her nicely!
Even if you make good use of an item, you have and wear it for years, I still don’t consider it an investment. To me, the word investment is meant for things that may increase in value and you can earn a profit at some point. Anything else, regardless of how useful it is and how much you enjoy it, is a purchase in my opinion.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Even if you make good use of an item, you have and wear it for years, I still don’t consider it an investment. To me, the word investment is meant for things that may increase in value and you can earn a profit at some point. Anything else, regardless of how useful it is and how much you enjoy it, is a purchase in my opinion.
Maybe if it’s a very warm coat (or cashmere jumper….) to keep you warm and therefore healthy it could be an investment in your health. Or buying high quality shoes good for your feet, and stuff.

Reactions: 13
I understand your point, and, indeed, that is the literal textbook definition of the word. However, economists (disclaimer: I’m an economist by training) would say an investment does not necessarily have to have monetary returns; it can also lead non-monetary returns such as utility or enjoyment. In reality, any time we buy something, we are making an investment, i.e., hoping to get a return be it because we can make money out of it or get utility/enjoyment from it; otherwise, we wouldn’t part with our money. If we buy something expensive that we end up using for a lot more years than a cheap item, we could say it was a better investment, i.e. we got more utility or use from it, even if we never resell it. If we do resell it and are lucky enough to make money off it, the returns would be not only the money we made but also the enjoyment we got from it. Just because clothing will almost always depreciate in value doesn’t mean we shouldn’t approach purchases with an “investment” mindset. That said, I wholeheartedly agree that influencers, Anna included, use the term too freely. They don’t have true capsule wardrobes, so no, they are not getting as much utility from each item of clothing and therefore not really making wise investments (then again, they don’t actually buy the items and earn a shitload of money from affiliate links, so I guess they are getting infinite returns 🤣).

• Heart
Anna only had a capsule wardrobe because she didn’t have room for more. Now she has a six bedroom house all bets are off. Signe has room for more clothing (more room anyway) but chooses not to buy tons of clothing. She also keeps her daughter off camera and has recently removed all of her vlogs from YouTube

Reactions: 21
I understand your point, and, indeed, that is the literal textbook definition of the word.
I mean but it’s not the only literal textbook definition! That’s why I posted the screenshot from Lexico. The idea of an item that is so useful it ‘repays it’s cost’ IS the definition of the word. Even if influencers over use it.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I mean but it’s not the only literal textbook definition! That’s why I posted the screenshot from Lexico. The idea of an item that is so useful it ‘repays it’s cost’ IS the definition of the word. Even if influencers over use it.
That’s right, and also what I meant to get across in my post, with the nuance that literally everything we buy is an investment. If we don’t get much use (or enjoyment) out of something we buy, it just means it probably wasn’t such a good investment. If it was super cheap, it may be okay, except one should also factor the environmental costs.

Reactions: 8
That’s right, and also what I meant to get across in my post, with the nuance that literally everything we buy is an investment. If we don’t get much use (or enjoyment) out of something we buy, it just means it probably wasn’t such a good investment. If it was super cheap, it may be okay, except one should also factor the environmental costs.
Yeah I didn’t mean to disagree with you, rather to say it’s not that you have to argue it’s a valid use of the word because it def already is!

Reactions: 3
So how much does Mark feature in today's vlog on a scale of 1-10? If it's more than a 6 I don't think I can bring myself to watch.

I can't understand how it hasn't yet occurred to Anna that people just don't want to watch creepy Mark and his socks and sandals and potatoes and 'birdwatching'.

• Haha
  • Sick
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.