The advice thread for random problems

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The upcoming rail strikes... (1st of October and 5th of October) is it worth trying to use the trains those days? I have an open return on the 1st. I know train companies advise you not to travel, but is it a case of "they're just saying that" or is it really actually inadvisable? I'll be using transpennine express if that matters.
I saw a notice on the platform the other day specifically saying not to travel. I think this is a particularly big strike with everyone involved.

Reactions: 1
Not really a problem, I’m looking for advice. I was gifted this candle below and it’s melted in the middle down to the bottom, but there is still a lot of unused wax round the edges. How do I go about getting the wax out and making my own candle from it? The jar is metal.

44C54656-8955-4971-9554-E6B6832A3E11.png

I’ve always poured boiling water from the kettle into the candle and let it cool. The wax then comes away and floats to the top. You might have to do it a couple of times and also break it up to get it out the out the holder.

Reactions: 2
Not really a problem, I’m looking for advice. I was gifted this candle below and it’s melted in the middle down to the bottom, but there is still a lot of unused wax round the edges. How do I go about getting the wax out and making my own candle from it? The jar is metal.

View attachment 1603459
Put it in the freezer, the wax should just come off.
It works for normal wax melt holders.

Will it work on this?😂🫣 I had previously attempted to get the wax out by stabbing it by the looks of it… 😵💫

View attachment 1604311
Just boil the kettle and pour it in. Leav for an hour and you’ll have a solid block of wax at the top. Break it up and you have wax melts! You can always do it again if there’s residue after you’ve removed the block that floats to the top but I don’t find you get much more after the first time.

Looking for fashion advice… I’m wanting a winter coat that will last a life time. Was looking for a parka style, down fill, very warm and waterproof etc. Looked at Canada Goose but don’t like the big labels and felt too flashy, then looked at Holland Cooper but all made with polyester and filled with it too! Did look at Woolrich but no coats are long enough as I outdone want it to cover by bum and tops of my thighs. Anyone got any suggestions? Ideally want Parka style, down fill with fur trim collar which is detachable. Thanks

Looking for fashion advice… I’m wanting a winter coat that will last a life time. Was looking for a parka style, down fill, very warm and waterproof etc. Looked at Canada Goose but don’t like the big labels and felt too flashy, then looked at Holland Cooper but all made with polyester and filled with it too! Did look at Woolrich but no coats are long enough as I outdone want it to cover by bum and tops of my thighs. Anyone got any suggestions? Ideally want Parka style, down fill with fur trim collar which is detachable. Thanks
Thanks for not supporting Canada Goose, it's a very cruel brand.

I'm not sure what your budget is but if you can stretch then Moncler is the way to go. I have a Hilfiger one that I love, they are reasonable priced. My friend has a Joules one. But tbh you do need to spend a little bit of money as they will last and are more breathable than high street brands. I have a Roxy snow one that is amazing as well.

Reactions: 2
Try Superdry, up until last year I had been wearing it for 4 Winters. Last year I accidentally got gloss paint on it hence why it’s only up until last year haha!

Have you had a look at Barbour? They have some gorgeous coats! I adore mine it is SO warm!

I just posted this in another thread, but feel maybe I should post it in an advice thread

I lost my( just over a yo ) cat,, Friday morning to a tragic accident due to a dog lead breaking. The D link snapped from the lead and the dog chased and caught my cat probably killing him instantly by breaking his neck as he was unmarked.

I feel very strange about it as feel I spent so much time comforting the dog owners that I neglected myself and my own grief and now that grief isn't coming out.

I feel absolutely no ill will towards the dog or its owners it was just one of those things. I'm just sad that I'm not feeling the sadness I normally would at a time like this. I'm not someone who beats my chest over my pets dying even though I love them dearly, but also I'm not blase about them dying either. . Or could it shock at how the little fella died?

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
I just posted this in another thread, but feel maybe I should post it in an advice thread

I lost my( just over a yo ) cat,, Friday morning to a tragic accident due to a dog lead breaking. The D link snapped from the lead and the dog chased and caught my cat probably killing him instantly by breaking his neck as he was unmarked.

I feel very strange about it as feel I spent so much time comforting the dog owners that I neglected myself and my own grief and now that grief isn't coming out.

I feel absolutely no ill will towards the dog or its owners it was just one of those things. I'm just sad that I'm not feeling the sadness I normally would at a time like this. I'm not someone who beats my chest over my pets dying even though I love them dearly, but also I'm not blase about them dying either. . Or could it shock at how the little fella died?
Maybe your time spent consoling the dog owners (you’re a saint, btw) was also the time you processed the loss

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Maybe your time spent consoling the dog owners (you’re a saint, btw) was also the time you processed the loss
I never thought about it like that. Yes it was heartbreaking watching these two people so distraught and I was thinking I can't even begin to imagine how they are feeling right now to not only have seen this happen but to also be at my door with my little fella in a box.

I say watching these two people but it was at separate times. The lady bought him home to me in the morning ( it happened at 7 am) and later that afternoon the man bought flowers and again was trying to tell me what happened and how but was crying too much to get anything out.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I never thought about it like that. Yes it was heartbreaking watching these two people so distraught and I was thinking I can't even begin to imagine how they are feeling right now to not only have seen this happen but to also be at my door with my little fella in a box.

I say watching these two people but it was at separate times. The lady bought him home to me in the morning ( it happened at 7 am) and later that afternoon the man bought flowers and again was trying to tell me what happened and how but was crying too much to get anything out.
Oh that seems like a lot of pressure to be kind. I think you were deprived the chance to feel angry which segues into sadness.

Sorry for your loss. ❤
I hope this numbness passes quickly.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Oh gosh @Purrrrrrr that sounds horrendous. Bless you for being there for the dog owners too. Maybe you are feeling a bit detached from it as you weren't witness to what actually happened? At the same time, there's not need to feel guilty about not being absolutely full of grief yourself - maybe it will come, or maybe the grieving had already started when you were talking to the dog's owners. Maybe get back in touch with them (if you want to) in a few days just to talk it through again if you think it would help.

• Heart
Oh that seems like a lot of pressure to be kind. I think you were deprived the chance to feel angry which segues into sadness.

Sorry for your loss. ❤
I hope this numbness passes quickly.
Oh gosh @Purrrrrrr that sounds horrendous. Bless you for being there for the dog owners too. Maybe you are feeling a bit detached from it as you weren't witness to what actually happened? At the same time, there's not need to feel guilty about not being absolutely full of grief yourself - maybe it will come, or maybe the grieving had already started when you were talking to the dog's owners. Maybe get back in touch with them (if you want to) in a few days just to talk it through again if you think it would help.

Thank you both. ❤ I welled up reading your replies so I know its just under the surface.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.