The advice thread for random problems

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Maybe a bizarre request but maybe someone can help? I walk a lot during my commute and it is wearing down my decent shoes. I don’t want to wear gym trainers on my way because it looks odd and easily makes holes in my tights by the heel. What other comfy trainer type shoes can I wear? I don’t want something clumpy, but definitely a trainer as opposed to shoe as I feel like my feet aren’t supported and hurt if I wear regular work shoes. I was thinking converses but I was wondering if anyone had any better suggestions. ☺
You can get walking shoes that look like trainers. My current pair are Skechers. Jack Wolfskin are good and so are Merrell.

Reactions: 2
Maybe a bizarre request but maybe someone can help? I walk a lot during my commute and it is wearing down my decent shoes. I don’t want to wear gym trainers on my way because it looks odd and easily makes holes in my tights by the heel. What other comfy trainer type shoes can I wear? I don’t want something clumpy, but definitely a trainer as opposed to shoe as I feel like my feet aren’t supported and hurt if I wear regular work shoes. I was thinking converses but I was wondering if anyone had any better suggestions. ☺
What about New Balance? I've had a few pairs in different styles and find them comfy . I tend to walk into the town centre where I live and I find them hard-wearing.

Reactions: 1
Definitely sketchers go walks for walking. Less clumpy than trainers. Very supportive and comfy for walking in

Reactions: 6
First time posting in this thread so here goes.
I have the opportunity to move to a beautiful part of the world. My child starts school next year. The new place has work and a really relaxed and beautiful lifestyle. Our current place has work and my child's friends, all of whom are going to different schools next year so catch ups will be limited to Sundays only.
I told my child that we're likely moving and they are kind of heart broken. How can I soften the blow? Also, how do you know if you're doing the right thing? After the initial settling in period, I feel confident we are both going to love it but right now, I'm feeling guilt. Any advice please? Thank you
Your child is very young (or did you mean starts secondary school next year?)
Tweens/teens is a little different but if they are 3/4, they will make friends easily.
Regardless, although you are moving them away from their friends, who's to say they will still be friends this time next year anyway?
Even age 12, I had friends who went to a different secondary school, we promised we'd still be friends. I haven't seen them since the last day of school in 2007. It's life at the end of the day. I only have 1 friend I went to school with now.
If they are young, I think the best way to soften the blow is to make it exciting - show them things in the area (park near by, new house etc).
If they are older then probably best to reason with them and explain that this is a good opportunity for both of you regarding lifestyle, work, etc.

• Heart
Yessss to all the Skechers love! I live in mine. They get a bad rap, but they have a huge range, something for everyone! Some may be more acceptable than others… 😂

I always associate the slip ons with the older generation. Fab for those who struggle with laces but perhaps if your dexterity isn’t impaired you might enjoy another a different style. I couldn’t not share the gold because they are INSANE. But do have a look at the site, I’d be very surprised if you didn’t find something acceptable. Please do not rely on Converse for walking. You will destroy your feet. (Been there, done that, months of physio to show for it!)
D7EC3FFF-D8B1-47DC-A189-1EC019E29174.png
F2AE78C0-F2BA-4039-A7D8-545714526AD5.png
8F6B00AD-12B1-4AA0-BBFE-8B1CEE58B0D8.png
7C5D060E-A944-4C13-9B58-DD1465F70703.png
2ABB60DA-F2E8-4BA5-896E-DA8B25A71583.png

• Heart
Has anyone ever sent alcohol to US from UK? A couple of friends want to try some local whisky, it's just the little tiny size I'd be sending that you get in those gift packs

US customs says 1L is the max I can send but royal mail says it can't be that size or over 24% alcohol, these little bottles have 40%

Would I be able to get them over with using another service?
Honestly, unless they’re very expensive, I’d just send them. I think they’re more concerned about the tax and masses of flammable liquid. I shouldn’t think they’ll be interested in tiny bottles.

Honestly, unless they’re very expensive, I’d just send them. I think they’re more concerned about the tax and masses of flammable liquid. I shouldn’t think they’ll be interested in tiny bottles.
I'll be sending them with chocolate anyway so hoping maybe they won't bother so much since they will be able to guess its a gift an not for resale, it is £12 for the little pack so kindi pricy but I can't find any local whiskeys anywhere cheaper

Nike Airmax, cannot recommend enough! I walk a lot and these are so kind on my feet plus I think they are nice to look at. I know they can be pricey but I always buy them in the sales as I don’t mind what colour they are

I’m currently filling out the form to renew my provisional driving licence but don’t know which option to tick. It went out of date years ago and as I had given up on the idea of lessons I threw the card license away 🤦‍♀️ If I say renew with a new photo I think I need to send my old one with the application, but I don’t have it. It’s not lost or stolen either.
Does anyone know which option to choose before I contact DVLA?

I’m currently filling out the form to renew my provisional driving licence but don’t know which option to tick. It went out of date years ago and as I had given up on the idea of lessons I threw the card license away 🤦‍♀️ If I say renew with a new photo I think I need to send my old one with the application, but I don’t have it. It’s not lost or stolen either.
I think if you have to renew then the old has to be sent back, but if I were you I'd probably give them a call to let them know an ask what to do since they might still have a record for you an if you were to do a new one they might start to wonder what's going on an think it's not you applying

It’s a renewal I think if the old one is out of date anyway.
DVLA are really helpful and you speak to real people, at least when I last contacted them

I would put lost down. I think you always have to send your old one back, I am about to change my name on mine and I am keeping my photo but I have to send my old one back or they charge me £20.

Reactions: 6
you can tick both options - say it’s lost but also that you’re renewing a new photo, just so that they don’t reply asking for it.

I’ve been trying all evening to get an L shaped stud out of my nose and it will not budge… I don’t understand?! 😫 about to crack… what can a piercing place do that I can’t?

There’s no clip or fastener, I’ve watched so many YouTube videos and they all just slide out. About to scream lol

I’ve been trying all evening to get an L shaped stud out of my nose and it will not budge… I don’t understand?! 😫 about to crack… what can a piercing place do that I can’t?

There’s no clip or fastener, I’ve watched so many YouTube videos and they all just slide out. About to scream lol
There's a slight knack, but nothing crazy. Can you reach in there and straighten it out to make it easier? Might need pliers. Is it a very new piercing? If not, you could just clip it off on the outside and pull the inside part out?

First, take a good half an hour to be calm before you try again.

I've found putting a thumb up your nose and two fingers either side of the stud helps. You then use the thumb to push the stud up at an angle almost against the edge of your nostril. You might then need to pause half way and grab the bent bit that should be just protruding on the outside and sort of guide it out.

Nose piercings are really awkward. I've got a ring in mine and I can't get that out either! I'd love to be one of these people that can change their nose jewellery for any occasion.

I tend to pull my downwards at the front until the first bit is out. Then it’s a bit of wriggling and twisting to get the end out. If it’s flexiable at all, I would try and make the L less bent to give you a softer corner.

The upcoming rail strikes... (1st of October and 5th of October) is it worth trying to use the trains those days? I have an open return on the 1st. I know train companies advise you not to travel, but is it a case of "they're just saying that" or is it really actually inadvisable? I'll be using transpennine express if that matters.

The upcoming rail strikes... (1st of October and 5th of October) is it worth trying to use the trains those days? I have an open return on the 1st. I know train companies advise you not to travel, but is it a case of "they're just saying that" or is it really actually inadvisable? I'll be using transpennine express if that matters.
I would still use depending how far you are travelling. It normally just means that there is less trains running so they will be packed and probably more stops.
Alternatively get one of the busses they put on

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.