The advice thread for random problems

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thank you both. ❤ I welled up reading your replies so I know its just under the surface.
Gosh you’re so kind and compassionate to even consider anyone else in this circumstance. I have no words of advice but wanted to say that. And I’m so so sorry for your loss.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Gosh you’re so kind and compassionate to even consider anyone else in this circumstance. I have no words of advice but wanted to say that. And I’m so so sorry for your loss.
Thank you. ❤
I always put myself in the place of others. it's just something I have always done. I can say hand on my heart, their place was somewhere I never want to find myself. I know I would never forgive myself if that were my dog out on a walk with me and having to tell someone a loved pet was dead because of another loved pet. They were very brave and very kind to do everything to find out where little Cous lived. They could have just pretended it never happened, as no one see it happen, left me forever wondering where he was and what had happened to him I am grateful they didn't

Talking about it has helped so thank you everyone

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Try Superdry, up until last year I had been wearing it for 4 Winters. Last year I accidentally got gloss paint on it hence why it’s only up until last year haha!
Seconding superdry, mine is a dream. It's the only thing I look forward to digging out when it gets cold 🥶

Update for my train situation... there are now no trains running at all (it appears) from my home station on Saturday... so that solves that problem 🥴

Reactions: 2
I have a hairdresser’s appointment on Friday to finally get my usual color back. I haven’t been to the hairdresser since the start of the pandemic and my full hair has reverted to my natural color which I hate (jet black). I haven’t sported my natural color in more than a decade and don’t feel myself when I look at the mirror. It makes my soft features more harsh and masculine.

I’m still debating whether I should cancel the appointment because I don’t see the purpose in getting my hair done if I never go out and work from home most of the time. Getting my hair color done would be more of a confidence booster but I honestly don’t see the purpose as my life is BS at the moment (death of a parent a few months ago, work stress, detesting my job with and coworkers).

I don’t know if it’s worth it. It’s within budget but I’m thinking of other things I can do with that amount. I’m torn.

• Heart
I don’t think this is really a random problem, but I’m not sure where else to post this. I’m looking for advice on how best to ask for a pay rise.

I had the Head of my team admit to me in a conversation with another colleague that she sees me as her second in command rather than her actual second in command and my review is coming up and I really want to put it to her about me getting more money but I also know I’m not “cheeky” enough.

Has anyone got any tips? (Thanks in advance and sorry if this is the wrong thread)

I have a hairdresser’s appointment on Friday to finally get my usual color back. I haven’t been to the hairdresser since the start of the pandemic and my full hair has reverted to my natural color which I hate (jet black). I haven’t sported my natural color in more than a decade and don’t feel myself when I look at the mirror. It makes my soft features more harsh and masculine.

I’m still debating whether I should cancel the appointment because I don’t see the purpose in getting my hair done if I never go out and work from home most of the time. Getting my hair color done would be more of a confidence booster but I honestly don’t see the purpose as my life is BS at the moment (death of a parent a few months ago, work stress, detesting my job with and coworkers).

I don’t know if it’s worth it. It’s within budget but I’m thinking of other things I can do with that amount. I’m torn.
What colour do you normally have? If you're not up to going to the hairdressers why not just buy some sun in? I used it as a teenager. You just spray it on your hair and it lightens it through time. But don't use for too long as you might end up with a colour you hate

I don’t think this is really a random problem, but I’m not sure where else to post this. I’m looking for advice on how best to ask for a pay rise.

I had the Head of my team admit to me in a conversation with another colleague that she sees me as her second in command rather than her actual second in command and my review is coming up and I really want to put it to her about me getting more money but I also know I’m not “cheeky” enough.

Has anyone got any tips? (Thanks in advance and sorry if this is the wrong thread)
It depends what you are taking on at work and if you are doing work you are not technically being paid to do ie above your paygrade. I would go to the review and listen what they have to say and then at the end mention, obv politely, that you feel you are taking on more work (senior work) and it would be great if they could compensate you for the extra duties/responsibility you are taking on.

But not too rain on your parade, even if you were to get a pay rise it will probably not make a huge difference as companies normally pay pennies to the pound.

Reactions: 1

Go and treat yourself and enjoy a couple of hours of pampering. It will give you a boost.

• Heart
Reactions: 10

Perhaps the confidence boost will help you feel a little better. I'm not suggesting a hair cut will alleviate your grief but baby steps to make little changes can eventually give you the confidence to make big changes.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
What colour do you normally have? If you're not up to going to the hairdressers why not just buy some sun in? I used it as a teenager. You just spray it on your hair and it lightens it through time. But don't use for too long as you might end up with a colour you hate
I have jet black hair naturally and would normally go for a lighter brown, so no "at home" colour kit works for me if the base is black :(

I have jet black hair naturally and would normally go for a lighter brown, so no "at home" colour kit works for me if the base is black :(
Sun in isn't a colour. I have very dark, almost black, hair and if you spray it on your hair over time it lightens it. It works with the sun/daylight. Dont't ask me how it works :LOL: But it does

Go, do I feel you on this one. Story of my life - I find it hard to justify the time & expense of haircuts, certainly colours, and other stuff like exercise classes and new clothes, just for myself. Like you, I think about what else I could do with the money, and I'd hate it if at the end of the month my family were skint and I'd just got my hair did-I'd feel like such a dick.
That said, not feeling like yourself isn't really worth holding back for, even if you do wfh. As others have said it might be one of your first steps to beginning to overcome your recent set-backs and barriers. You could ask your colourist for advice on a low-maintenance colour, something that you could enjoy whilst knowing that you've not got to have super regular visits to keep it looking OK.

• Heart
Go, do I feel you on this one. Story of my life - I find it hard to justify the time & expense of haircuts, certainly colours, and other stuff like exercise classes and new clothes, just for myself. Like you, I think about what else I could do with the money, and I'd hate it if at the end of the month my family were skint and I'd just got my hair did-I'd feel like such a dick.
That said, not feeling like yourself isn't really worth holding back for, even if you do wfh. As others have said it might be one of your first steps to beginning to overcome your recent set-backs and barriers. You could ask your colourist for advice on a low-maintenance colour, something that you could enjoy whilst knowing that you've not got to have super regular visits to keep it looking OK.
100% understand where you are coming from. When you have a family, the pressure is definitely on to keep a close eye on your expenses. However, occasionally, it is good to take care of yourself as I think it certainly helps with mental health as well.

Luckily, I do not have any children or even a partner to worry about, but I nonetheless feel guilty about spending such amount on hair. Thank you for the advice - I will as the colourist and see what we can come up with. You're right, it might be one of the first step to overcome my recent hurdles. Thank you for that!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
100% understand where you are coming from. When you have a family, the pressure is definitely on to keep a close eye on your expenses. However, occasionally, it is good to take care of yourself as I think it certainly helps with mental health as well.

Luckily, I do not have any children or even a partner to worry about, but I nonetheless feel guilty about spending such amount on hair. Thank you for the advice - I will as the colourist and see what we can come up with. You're right, it might be one of the first step to overcome my recent hurdles. Thank you for that!
You're the boss of you and you really are answerable to no one else - you definitely deserve a colour 🖤 If the only person guilting you over this is your own self, then that voice easily ignored.

And you've inspired me-I've just booked a slot at 11 tomorrow morning for the restyle I've been gagging for for ages!

Can't wait to hear how it goes for you and if it helps you return to a feeling of yourself 🖤

(full disclosure: I am actually a hairdresser 😂 (although that isn't my current dayjob) . There's something about being able to cut hair myself that stops me from paying someone else to do it regularly. Maybe it's something like how builders never get around to their own DIY jobs at home? Except I can't do a nice job on my own head 🙄)

• Heart
Reactions: 5
@Some People! I'm glad my post inspired you to book an appointment. I hope it went well!

An update on my situation - I was looking forward to the appointment but should have trusted my gut. The hairdresser completely messed my hair up IMO.

I let my hair grow out and it hadn't been tinted since before COVID so it was in pristine condition. The hairdresser told me the only colour should could give me was a dark chocolate brown because my natural hair is black. She advised if I wanted a lighter shade of brown, I'd need to do a balayage. I'd never heard of this before. I was a loyal customer of this salon for years before COVID and I never heard something of the sort. I wanted a lighter shade, not a hair full of highlights and I don't know what else. Then, I proceeded to tell her to pull my previous records and see what my other hairdresser used to do (the staff completely changed, but the records are still there). Supposedly she couldn't find my records even though they keep records from day 1. My bank account sure has those records dear!

Anyways, the balayage is 150e more than the "tint and halo" they offer. I politely told her my former hairdresser did a tint and never asked for a balayage. She then says she'll do the tint and halo and asked me to pick the colors. I went by what I used to do in the past (brown at the top and through the lengths with lighter streaks - not full on highlights - here as halo and there but really well blended with the root).

She did the hair and I could tell she was struggling. I go to get my hair washed, then they started the blow-dry and within 2 minutes I had to ask the stylist to call the colourist. My hair was brown at the top, a huge streak of blonde/orange hair that does not even blended with the root and jet black hair at the back / underneath. The colourist comes and says we'll tone it again, but insists on saying this is the colour I wanted. For sure I did not want three colors on my hair! They used the toner and started the blow dry again, it still doesn't look good. The top clearly looks auburn, the lengths look black and the lighter bits are almost green. Then she says "the bottom and top look the same" in the rudest manner.

I speak to her manager and say I'm sorry, I'm going to be honest, I'm not satisfied. There are three unblended shades on my hair and it looks a bit all over the map and streaky. He says no problem, I understand, come back another day, we'll get it fixed.

Then I go to the reception to pay, she is standing there at the computer. As soon as she saw me standing at the reception, she looked at me and walked away without saying anything. No "we'll get it fixed" or "I'm sorry it didn't turn out the way you liked but don't worry, it will be sorted". Not even a "thank you", zero even though I was about to pay. Now, I should have known she was bad news because she was not listening when I was trying to explain what I wanted, did not smile once from start to finish and while other hairdresser were chatting away with clients, she said zero to me (I don't care for chit-chat but she had an off vibe).

I get she may have been upset when I said I was not satisfied, but I was not going to pay 200e on something that looks absolutely horrific. No to mention, she told her manager "this is what she and I agreed to do". She was trying to blame me to save face.

Not only is my virgin hair completely messed up but I also wasted 4.5 hours of my life and she messed up my top which is filled with colour and my face (she managed to put colour all the way down to my eyebrows and cheeks). I used to get my hair done regularly and never had even as much as a single spot of colour on me.

They kindly did not charge me in the end and told me to com back. I am thinking I might go to another hairdresser to get advice first and see what they say as to how this can be fixed.

Here is what my hair looks like now - how does she think this looks good? You can't see the reddish shade at the top due to the flash, but it's there.

thumbnail_IMG_2327.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
@Some People! I'm glad my post inspired you to book an appointment. I hope it went well!

An update on my situation - I was looking forward to the appointment but should have trusted my gut. The hairdresser completely messed my hair up IMO.

I let my hair grow out and it hadn't been tinted since before COVID so it was in pristine condition. The hairdresser told me the only colour should could give me was a dark chocolate brown because my natural hair is black. She advised if I wanted a lighter shade of brown, I'd need to do a balayage. I'd never heard of this before. I was a loyal customer of this salon for years before COVID and I never heard something of the sort. I wanted a lighter shade, not a hair full of highlights and I don't know what else. Then, I proceeded to tell her to pull my previous records and see what my other hairdresser used to do (the staff completely changed, but the records are still there). Supposedly she couldn't find my records even though they keep records from day 1. My bank account sure has those records dear!

Anyways, the balayage is 150e more than the "tint and halo" they offer. I politely told her my former hairdresser did a tint and never asked for a balayage. She then says she'll do the tint and halo and asked me to pick the colors. I went by what I used to do in the past (brown at the top and through the lengths with lighter streaks - not full on highlights - here as halo and there but really well blended with the root).

She did the hair and I could tell she was struggling. I go to get my hair washed, then they started the blow-dry and within 2 minutes I had to ask the stylist to call the colourist. My hair was brown at the top, a huge streak of blonde/orange hair that does not even blended with the root and jet black hair at the back / underneath. The colourist comes and says we'll tone it again, but insists on saying this is the colour I wanted. For sure I did not want three colors on my hair! They used the toner and started the blow dry again, it still doesn't look good. The top clearly looks auburn, the lengths look black and the lighter bits are almost green. Then she says "the bottom and top look the same" in the rudest manner.

I speak to her manager and say I'm sorry, I'm going to be honest, I'm not satisfied. There are three unblended shades on my hair and it looks a bit all over the map and streaky. He says no problem, I understand, come back another day, we'll get it fixed.

Then I go to the reception to pay, she is standing there at the computer. As soon as she saw me standing at the reception, she looked at me and walked away without saying anything. No "we'll get it fixed" or "I'm sorry it didn't turn out the way you liked but don't worry, it will be sorted". Not even a "thank you", zero even though I was about to pay. Now, I should have known she was bad news because she was not listening when I was trying to explain what I wanted, did not smile once from start to finish and while other hairdresser were chatting away with clients, she said zero to me (I don't care for chit-chat but she had an off vibe).

I get she may have been upset when I said I was not satisfied, but I was not going to pay 200e on something that looks absolutely horrific. No to mention, she told her manager "this is what she and I agreed to do". She was trying to blame me to save face.

Not only is my virgin hair completely messed up but I also wasted 4.5 hours of my life and she messed up my top which is filled with colour and my face (she managed to put colour all the way down to my eyebrows and cheeks). I used to get my hair done regularly and never had even as much as a single spot of colour on me.

They kindly did not charge me in the end and told me to com back. I am thinking I might go to another hairdresser to get advice first and see what they say as to how this can be fixed.

Here is what my hair looks like now - how does she think this looks good? You can't see the reddish shade at the top due to the flash, but it's there.

View attachment 1616667
I had a similar experience once. My hair looked like a mint humbug, thick white stripes with my very dark hair. This after I asked if she could do a few highlights randomly through my hair. They weren't highlights and they weren't random :LOL:

My opinion is that I would give the salon an opportunity to rectify. Who will try and fix it? I would insist on senior colourist and maybe take some photo's, if you have them, of what your hair looked like previously. If they want the same person to do your hair then I would refuse.

Balayage is very popular and I had it done years ago, I liked it and if you google it you will get loads of examples.

I'm personally not too precious about my hair as it grows quickly and I've had some styles and colours through the years that make me laugh now. If they hadn't charged me I would probably buy box dye and just colour it myself and wait for it to grow out

• Heart
I also had a similar experience once. I wanted a dark brown with a reddish tint. She left the roots on for so long while I assume she was mixing the bottom part, my roots ended up looking colourless, there was a huge orange streak on 1 side of my hair, but across not down, still not sure how that was possible, then the I had some parts that were red and others that were nearly black. They used toner on it and it looked better but I have never had my hair done professionally since. I cut and dye it myself now, it’s never once gone wrong for me.

I just posted this in another thread, but feel maybe I should post it in an advice thread

I lost my( just over a yo ) cat,, Friday morning to a tragic accident due to a dog lead breaking. The D link snapped from the lead and the dog chased and caught my cat probably killing him instantly by breaking his neck as he was unmarked.

I feel very strange about it as feel I spent so much time comforting the dog owners that I neglected myself and my own grief and now that grief isn't coming out.

I feel absolutely no ill will towards the dog or its owners it was just one of those things. I'm just sad that I'm not feeling the sadness I normally would at a time like this. I'm not someone who beats my chest over my pets dying even though I love them dearly, but also I'm not blase about them dying either. . Or could it shock at how the little fella died?
I hope any dog owners reading this have strong dog leads. Sorry for the loss of your dear pussy cat 😪

• Heart
Reactions: 4
@shadowcat5 Thank you - You're very lucky you're able to do your hair at home, it's definitely a safer bet and you know what works for you :) I think in this case the toner won't cut it (they tried twice) because I want to get rid of the black, but now I have black with yellow and mint strands all over.

@OnlyHereForTheLolz Thank you - Yep, I have the mint / yellow streaks at the back. I actually took pictures of what my hair used to look like before and I asked them to pull up my references and they said they didn't find them. 100% my do before never classified as a "balayage" (or they had been severely undercharging me for years which I doubt).

I have been going to this salon for 6 years (except for when the pandemic happened) and I've always had amazing results. I once had a mishap 6 years ago with them and the then hairdresser was so nice despite the situation. We even laughed about it and it got sorted the following week. This one just had a poor attitude throughout the process. This is not how you behave with a customer.

I think what would turn me off from this salon is the hairdresser's attitude (reluctance to listen to what I wanted, did some random work without even assessing whether it would blend together, blamed me for the mishap and then did not offer a kind word / apologized / offered to rectify and completely ignored me on my way out). You're right though, I will ask for another stylist (a more senior one) and if they suggest she does works on it again, it's a big no-no.

I understand hair grows back. In my case my hair was super damaged before and it took me ages to grow it back for it to be in a pristine condition like this. She damaged my "virgin" hair (i.e. not tinted at all anymore) and now I'm going to have to rectify it so God knows the damage it will entail. It was a blank canvas and she messed it all up - that's what pains me the most. Hair grows back, but it's still painful when you've put efforts into restoring your natural state of hair and someone ruins it unnecessarily.

Not to mention - I'm usually pretty invisible in crowds, but I swear today people were starring at me right left and centre. It was uncomfortable. I look like a Halloween costume lol.

Last edited:
  • Heart
@shadowcat5 Thank you - You're very lucky you're able to do your hair at home, it's definitely a safer bet and you know what works for you :) I think in this case the toner won't cut it (they tried twice) because I want to get rid of the black, but now I have black with yellow and mint strands all over.

@OnlyHereForTheLolz Thank you - Yep, I have the mint / yellow streaks at the back. I actually took pictures of what my hair used to look like before and I asked them to pull up my references and they said they didn't find them. 100% my do before never classified as a "balayage" (or they had been severely undercharging me for years which I doubt).

I have been going to this salon for 6 years (except for when the pandemic happened) and I've always had amazing results. I once had a mishap 6 years ago with them and the then hairdresser was so nice despite the situation. We even laughed about it and it got sorted the following week. This one just had a poor attitude throughout the process. This is not how you behave with a customer.

I think what would turn me off from this salon is the hairdresser's attitude (reluctance to listen to what I wanted, did some random work without even assessing whether it would blend together, blamed me for the mishap and then did not offer a kind word / apologized / offered to rectify and completely ignored me on my way out). You're right though, I will ask for another stylist (a more senior one) and if they suggest she does works on it again, it's a big no-no.

I understand hair grows back. In my case my hair was super damaged before and it took me ages to grow it back for it to be in a pristine condition like this. She damaged my "virgin" hair (i.e. not tinted at all anymore) and now I'm going to have to rectify it so God knows the damage it will entail. It was a blank canvas and she messed it all up - that's what pains me the most. Hair grows back, but it's still painful when you've put efforts into restoring your natural state of hair and someone ruins it unnecessarily.

Not to mention - I'm usually pretty invisible in crowds, but I swear today people were starring at me right left and centre. It was uncomfortable. I look like a Halloween costume lol.
Sorry if you took it as me minimising how you felt with the "hair grows back" comment. I just meant that is how I feel. I've never been overly bothered if my hair went wrong. I used to experiment a lot and I guess I am lucky as my hair grow back quick.

During lockdown I gave myself a "shortcut" haircut I saw on youtube. I looked absolutely ridiculous! I had a bowl cut at the front and a mullet at the back. It looked awful :LOL:

Fingers crossed you get yours sorted out quick.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.