The advice thread for random problems

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone in SH had their windows changed? I'm due to have mine done ( will probably be done on the coldest snowiest day ;) ) Do they do all the work from the inside? Only outside my bedroom window (bungalow) I have a ruddy great pond.
Would like to know if I should see about getting some strong boards or something, but with the price of wood right now I would rather not
Give em a bell and ask! Then you can ask if you should be the one to make the pond safe or if they'll handle it. They'll want their contractors to be safe & aware of the pond. Usually most of the work is done from the inside. It'll very likely to be like-for-like which will be sorted very quickly indeed :)

Hopefully 🤞

• Heart
Reactions: 1
First time poster in advice!

It’s my best friends wedding in a few months (best friend of 20+ years) and I wondered what people thought about how much I should give them as a wedding present cash wise?

I’m a bridesmaid so it’s costing me a bit more then a normal guest as I have to pay for hotel stay etc the night before and night of the wedding and there’s other bits I’ve had to pay for as well.

We’re not in the best place financially at the moment and I’ve had to miss one of her two hens as I couldn’t afford them both (which she was fine about) but I can’t afford to give them loads as a wedding present - what do people think is acceptable?

They’ve asked for cash as they have a house anyway and are going on honeymoon I just don’t know what’s ‘acceptable.’ - if it helps my best friend is a very chill person and isn’t expecting me to pay her the world as she’s been in a similar position to me money wise before, I just don’t want to go too low if you know what I mean?

It’s my best friends wedding in a few months (best friend of 20+ years) and I wondered what people thought about how much I should give them as a wedding present cash wise?

I’m a bridesmaid so it’s costing me a bit more then a normal guest as I have to pay for hotel stay etc the night before and night of the wedding and there’s other bits I’ve had to pay for as well.

We’re not in the best place financially at the moment and I’ve had to miss one of her two hens as I couldn’t afford them both (which she was fine about) but I can’t afford to give them loads as a wedding present - what do people think is acceptable?

They’ve asked for cash as they have a house anyway and are going on honeymoon I just don’t know what’s ‘acceptable.’ - if it helps my best friend is a very chill person and isn’t expecting me to pay her the world as she’s been in a similar position to me money wise before, I just don’t want to go too low if you know what I mean?
If it is you and your partner going then I would say £50. If it is just you then maybe £25?

As you're best friend's the bride presumably knows roughly your financial situation so isn't expecting hundreds off you?

It is really tough deciding. But don't feel like you can't buy a gift just because they have asked for money.

Also it isn't like the US where you are expected to gift what your meal would have cost so hundreds. I think in the UK we understand that a wedding is an all in cost that the bride and groom are paying

Reactions: 4

Depending on where she is going on honeymoon could you gift her euros? For example £50 euros but then you've spent a little over £40?.

I was bridesmaid for my best friend of 20+ years and had a photo tile made from some pics I'd took on the day (she didn't have a photographer) so many apps do this cheaply now. I gifted money too but she told me the photos were what really made her happy.

She sounds like a good friend and I'm sure she'll be happy with what ever you choose.

Reactions: 2
If it is you and your partner going then I would say £50. If it is just you then maybe £25?

As you're best friend's the bride presumably knows roughly your financial situation so isn't expecting hundreds off you?

It is really tough deciding. But don't feel like you can't buy a gift just because they have asked for money.

Also it isn't like the US where you are expected to gift what your meal would have cost so hundreds. I think in the UK we understand that a wedding is an all in cost that the bride and groom are paying
Depending on where she is going on honeymoon could you gift her euros? For example £50 euros but then you've spent a little over £40?.

I was bridesmaid for my best friend of 20+ years and had a photo tile made from some pics I'd took on the day (she didn't have a photographer) so many apps do this cheaply now. I gifted money too but she told me the photos were what really made her happy.

She sounds like a good friend and I'm sure she'll be happy with what ever you choose.
Thanks both that’s really helpful. I am going to get her a small gift as well of a drawing of her, her fiancé and their little boy but I love the idea of currency as a present I think that’s really good so will do that I think :) it’s me and my partner going and we can stretch to around £75.

Thanks all I just wanted to make sure it didn’t sound really tight as she means a lot to me and I wanted to show her that as much as I can!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Thanks both that’s really helpful. I am going to get her a small gift as well of a drawing of her, her fiancé and their little boy but I love the idea of currency as a present I think that’s really good so will do that I think :) it’s me and my partner going and we can stretch to around £75.

Thanks all I just wanted to make sure it didn’t sound really tight as she means a lot to me and I wanted to show her that as much as I can!
£75 and a gift isn't tight at all!! Think that's a lovely gift x

Reactions: 5
Has anyone in SH had their windows changed? I'm due to have mine done ( will probably be done on the coldest snowiest day ;) ) Do they do all the work from the inside? Only outside my bedroom window (bungalow) I have a ruddy great pond.
Would like to know if I should see about getting some strong boards or something, but with the price of wood right now I would rather not
Not SH but I lived on a second floor flat before and had to have a window replaced, was done from the inside 😀

it’s me and my partner going and we can stretch to around £75.
I had £75 is my head as the amount where you’d think ‘Gosh that’s really generous’ but not OTT. It’s enough for a really lovely lunch with wine or maybe a spa massage each abroad.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I had £75 is my head as the amount where you’d think ‘Gosh that’s really generous’ but not OTT. It’s enough for a really lovely lunch with wine or maybe a spa massage each abroad.
I agree, £75 is not tight at all. Just had my wedding and we generally got £50 couple. My oldest friend gave me £50 plus a gift and I wasn’t expect it all, and they are well off too!

Reactions: 5
I agree, £75 is not tight at all. Just had my wedding and we generally got £50 couple. My oldest friend gave me £50 plus a gift and I wasn’t expect it all, and they are well off too!
Interesting, I've seen in some other threads a while ago people saying 100-200 is what they go with per couple 😑 seems ridiculous, especially when just attending the wedding can cost a lot...

Has anyone ever sent alcohol to US from UK? A couple of friends want to try some local whisky, it's just the little tiny size I'd be sending that you get in those gift packs

US customs says 1L is the max I can send but royal mail says it can't be that size or over 24% alcohol, these little bottles have 40%

Would I be able to get them over with using another service?

Interesting, I've seen in some other threads a while ago people saying 100-200 is what they go with per couple 😑 seems ridiculous, especially when just attending the wedding can cost a lot...
Give what you can afford. I'm sure your friends would appreciate your presence than the amount of money you give.

Maybe a bizarre request but maybe someone can help? I walk a lot during my commute and it is wearing down my decent shoes. I don’t want to wear gym trainers on my way because it looks odd and easily makes holes in my tights by the heel. What other comfy trainer type shoes can I wear? I don’t want something clumpy, but definitely a trainer as opposed to shoe as I feel like my feet aren’t supported and hurt if I wear regular work shoes. I was thinking converses but I was wondering if anyone had any better suggestions. ☺

Maybe a bizarre request but maybe someone can help? I walk a lot during my commute and it is wearing down my decent shoes. I don’t want to wear gym trainers on my way because it looks odd and easily makes holes in my tights by the heel. What other comfy trainer type shoes can I wear? I don’t want something clumpy, but definitely a trainer as opposed to shoe as I feel like my feet aren’t supported and hurt if I wear regular work shoes. I was thinking converses but I was wondering if anyone had any better suggestions. ☺
I'm in a similar situation and have been considering my options too. I currently walk in some very light trainers from tesco which are pretending to be Nike tanjuns. From wearing these I know that my upgrade needs to be at least somewhat waterproof because once my feet are cold and wet at work, the day is significantly shitter.

Maybe something from Sketchers? They're dead comfy, light and supportive and some designs aren't even terrible.

(many are truly godawful though 😂)

First time posting in this thread so here goes.
I have the opportunity to move to a beautiful part of the world. My child starts school next year. The new place has work and a really relaxed and beautiful lifestyle. Our current place has work and my child's friends, all of whom are going to different schools next year so catch ups will be limited to Sundays only.
I told my child that we're likely moving and they are kind of heart broken. How can I soften the blow? Also, how do you know if you're doing the right thing? After the initial settling in period, I feel confident we are both going to love it but right now, I'm feeling guilt. Any advice please? Thank you

Converses don’t really absorb shock though. I’d embrace the clump and go for Oofos.

I'm in a similar situation and have been considering my options too. I currently walk in some very light trainers from tesco which are pretending to be Nike tanjuns. From wearing these I know that my upgrade needs to be at least somewhat waterproof because once my feet are cold and wet at work, the day is significantly shitter.

Maybe something from Sketchers? They're dead comfy, light and supportive and some designs aren't even terrible.

(many are truly godawful though 😂)
It’s a hard one isn’t it? I don’t like wearing my gym shoes, it just feels gross and sweaty. I’m also conscious of looking like that type of commuter if you know what I mean… huge backpack and clumpy running shoes. I’m really struggling to find anything but will check the sketchers website. I always associated them with slightly older people but maybe I should take a peek. Thank you!

Converses don’t really absorb shock though. I’d embrace the clump and go for Oofos.
Thank you for the suggestion but I really can’t do clumpy trainers, it makes me feel self conscious. I’ve just taken a look at their website but they’re far bigger than my current gym trainers and not practical for me

Definitely sketchers for walking commute. They are light, comfy, supportive, breathe well, good grip, and some sleek styles that don’t look too clunky.

First time posting in this thread so here goes.
I have the opportunity to move to a beautiful part of the world. My child starts school next year. The new place has work and a really relaxed and beautiful lifestyle. Our current place has work and my child's friends, all of whom are going to different schools next year so catch ups will be limited to Sundays only.
I told my child that we're likely moving and they are kind of heart broken. How can I soften the blow? Also, how do you know if you're doing the right thing? After the initial settling in period, I feel confident we are both going to love it but right now, I'm feeling guilt. Any advice please? Thank you
Your child will make new friends in no time at all. ( they can still facetime their old friends)

My daughter took her three children out of school during covid and started homeschooling they made new friends pretty fast.
She has now -a couple of weeks ago- moved to another area and at first, the children were worried about their friends but now they are loving it.

Dont lose a good opportunity, just go for it.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Your child will make new friends in no time at all. ( they can still facetime their old friends)

My daughter took her three children out of school during covid and started homeschooling they made new friends pretty fast.
She has now -a couple of weeks ago- moved to another area and at first, the children were worried about their friends but now they are loving it.

Dont lose a good opportunity, just go for it.
Thank you! I appreciate you replying.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.