The 2 Johnnies #7 The lads are grand, it's Maura we can't stand.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Devo they are leaving 2fm I always tuned in - wouldnt usually, and wont when they are gone. Found them to be hilarious, probably as I am a culchie too :D. Afric is brilliant, hope she gets a main slot
So sad loved listening to them they were great and very entertaining

Ramdom question đŸ€Ł but do they both travel to Dublin everyday or live up here

Reactions: 3
So sad loved listening to them they were great and very entertaining

Ramdom question đŸ€Ł but do they both travel to Dublin everyday or live up here
They do the radio mainly from their studio in Cahir, although it appears they do it from Dublin the odd time

They do the radio mainly from their studio in Cahir, although it appears they do it from Dublin the odd time
I genuinely thought they were in the studio every day because there's so many clips of them in the Rte studio and they'd often mention the drive up which they seemed to share.

If that's the case, I'm sure using a privately owned studio for public broadcast further muddies the water and probably played a part in whatever went on.

Reactions: 2
What do you think..did RTE give them the platform to be as big as they are or would they be have got that through podcast/shows anyway?
No way! Before they joined 2fm they had one of the biggest podcasts in the country, so much so they had an exclusive deal with Spotify, plus a subscription podcast on Patreon.

They built their following from nothing.

Yes, the TV shows may have helped but RTE wouldn't have invested in a travel show if they weren't sure they had the following to get the viewing numbers.

He's way off with that comment.

Reactions: 15
I posted this on Garrihys thread so will post here as it relates to both.
What do you think..did RTE give them the platform to be as big as they are or would they be have got that through podcast/shows anyway?
He's right in a way though, they had an audience with the podcast but then obviously got alot more listeners/ fans from the radio and the TV shows

They didn't need RTE - they were doing grand on their own. It was a mutually beneficial arrangement.

I didn't even have 2fm on my radio presets before they joined. I never listened to that station and I probably won't again.

Reactions: 11
It's hard to know, as a Tipperary person I've followed Johnny b since he wrote The Premier rap in 2010 but I'm sure there's plenty of people in Dublin, Belfast, Kerry etc. who never heard of them until more recently.
I also didn't listen to 2fm for years and only went back to it for their show, there was a real gap in the market for something at that time of the day and they filled it. They were busy enough beforehand and maybe with podcasting saw the gap in the market for a good studio just off the m8

Reactions: 5
Twas the catfish that got them the bigger audience, not RTE 😅
Completely agree. RTE signed them because of their huge podcast audience. Spotify don't hand out exclusive deals to people who aren't pulling in huge numbers.

The more telling thing here is not Backhurst saying that RTE made the Two Johnnies huge, it's the fact he mentioned the podcast tour. There is little doubt in my mind that they weren't able to agree the time off needed for the tour.

To be fair, if the lads thought they could just head off for a 6 weeks in the middle of the summer, and RTE be OK with it, they were codding themselves.
---
Lads that enthusiastic fan who posts on the community a lot, it's going to end in tears, one way or another.

Reactions: 17
Completely agree. RTE signed them because of their huge podcast audience. Spotify don't hand out exclusive deals to people who aren't pulling in huge numbers.

The more telling thing here is not Backhurst saying that RTE made the Two Johnnies huge, it's the fact he mentioned the podcast tour. There is little doubt in my mind that they weren't able to agree the time off needed for the tour.

To be fair, if the lads thought they could just head off for a 6 weeks in the middle of the summer, and RTE be OK with it, they were codding themselves.
---
Lads that enthusiastic fan who posts on the community a lot, it's going to end in tears, one way or another.
Can anyone remember what presenter it was who took off the summer holidays on the radio ? It might be 12/15 year back. I think rte2 have big boots to fill.. they really appealed to the ordinary person much more relatable imo than some of the presenters who think anyone outside D4 is a bogger.

I was thinking of her. I wonder how she’s taking it ? Have her blocked on Facebook as I can’t cope with it

Reactions: 4
Can anyone remember what presenter it was who took off the summer holidays on the radio ? It might be 12/15 year back. I think rte2 have big boots to fill.. they really appealed to the ordinary person much more relatable imo than some of the presenters who think anyone outside D4 is a bogger.

I was thinking of her. I wonder how she’s taking it ? Have her blocked on Facebook as I can’t cope with it
Ryan Tubridy used to take a month off in the summers from radio while the Late Late would be on a hiatus too. Brendan Courtney & Oliver Callan used to cover for him.

So far, SuperFan has coped by having the most depressing roast dinner I’ve ever seen, before going “bus stop hunting” as she put it. She travelled from Bansha to Waterford to Carrick-on-Suir just to take photos of the album promo posters on bus stops. They’d want to watch themselves at the string of gigs next weekend, she’s going to be at most of them đŸ˜¶

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
Ryan Tubridy used to take a month off in the summers from radio while the Late Late would be on a hiatus too. Brendan Courtney & Oliver Callan used to cover for him.

So far, SuperFan has coped by having the most depressing roast dinner I’ve ever seen, before going “bus stop hunting” as she put it. She travelled from Bansha to Waterford to Carrick-on-Suir just to take photos of the album promo posters on bus stops. They’d want to watch themselves at the string of gigs next weekend, she’s going to be at most of them đŸ˜¶
thanks I couldn’t for the life of me remember who it was.
Ah lads. I don’t know what to say about her.

Reactions: 4